NATION

PASSWORD

Transhumanism: What's your take on it?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of transhumanism?

I'm all for it!
57%
Needs to be controlled.
34%
Should be banned!
8%

Total votes : 190

Ruskyet
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruskyet » Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 pm

I look at the whole thing neutrally...I think you should allow people to decide for themselves, and that the banning of technologies should be an illegal practice.

If they ever were to build a cybernetic body, capable of synchronically functioning with my brain, id likely get the upgrade: mostly because such technology would simply have me drooling af its complexity.

The only part of the body I think irreplacable is the brain. Its the center of all processing, the miracle that grants us free will: as such, I believe its not to be tampered with.

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Natapoc wrote:
The USOT wrote:See its interesting to see you say that last little bit because I found what you just said to sound silly. There is no inherrant link between an updated brain and a custom virus either working or being desirable. My television for instance can be enhanced by adding a computer to it, but without the computer it cannot be hacked, and furthermore I can fix/repair the computer without the tv being damadged.

You will be assimilated, Resistance is futile.

Oh Borg-off :p
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

DuThaal Craftworld
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DuThaal Craftworld » Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Let's go! Mechanical, scientific, genetic- what's the downside?
Eldar. Not Dark Eldar. Eldar.
FT+FanT
METAL BAWKSES

Nua Corda wrote:Read the rest of the quote by clicking the 'wrote' button.

Mindhar on The Lord of the Rings

Alekera
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alekera » Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 pm

DuThaal Craftworld wrote:Let's go! Mechanical, scientific, genetic- what's the downside?

I have some beefs with transhumanism... not moral (OK, maybe a little) beefs but philosophical beefs.

Like at what point are you no longer human?

Or who design the implant/genetics? Cause I really don't trust corporation nor government...

And furthermore, would this create an elitism class between transhumanists and naturalists? Would there be strife?

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Tue May 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Natapoc wrote:
Yes it's very unreasonable because the way the technology works is just totally different from the optic nerve implant you are proposing. This is not a step in the direction of sending "visual signals" directly to the optic nerve without the eye.

This is only slightly different than what you're doing right now by staring at your computer.

One of the things that frustrates me about transhumanists is their frequent inability to distinguish between some incremental improvements and refinements and an incredible leap in technology.

Just because Google glass is physically close to your eye does not mean it's a path to artificial eye replacement (that would require a totally different technology, rather than a refinement or clever use of existing technology)

EDIT: never mind that was a dumb point. a more general question then, why do you consider it unlikely we will be able to understand how our brains work in the near future?

I don't know if we'll be able to do that or not. I hope we'll be able to do that but there are some theoretical problems regarding the ability of one human brain to know everything about itself.

The difference between me and the transhuminists is I don't make claims about the types of technology that will exist "once we fully understand the brain" when that understanding may or may not ever occur and when we don't how that understanding will manifest.

I also don't place my hopes in technology that does not yet exist. I want change now using the technology that exists NOW. I'm not going to rely on some future technology that may or may not ever be developed before trying to make the world a better place.
Did you see a ghost?

DuThaal Craftworld
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby DuThaal Craftworld » Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Alekera wrote:
DuThaal Craftworld wrote:Let's go! Mechanical, scientific, genetic- what's the downside?

I have some beefs with transhumanism... not moral (OK, maybe a little) beefs but philosophical beefs.

1) Like at what point are you no longer human?

2) Or who design the implant/genetics? Cause I really don't trust corporation nor government...

3) And furthermore, would this create an elitism class between transhumanists and naturalists? Would there be strife?

1) When your conscious is no longer human.
2) Doctors? Not corporations, of course not, neither the government, but perhaps a special medical profession?
3) Of course. We, as Homo Sapiens, will always create strife over every issue. Should we allow this to block a very valuable medical and scientific breakthrough?
FT+FanT
METAL BAWKSES

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Absolutely nothing.

I'm going to "hack" the transhumans and turn them all into my little slaves except they will enjoy it because I'll activate the pleasure centers of their artificial brains every time they do what I say. With my army of drones I'll build an empire, controlled via wifi or 4G if out of range!

It would be absolutely hilarious if someone made the argument that they would liberate the transhumans by getting them out of 4g and wifi range or blocking my signal.
Did you see a ghost?

Alekera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Alekera » Tue May 07, 2013 7:40 pm

DuThaal Craftworld wrote:
Alekera wrote:

1) Like at what point are you no longer human?

2) Or who design the implant/genetics? Cause I really don't trust corporation nor government...

3) And furthermore, would this create an elitism class between transhumanists and naturalists? Would there be strife?

1) When your conscious is no longer human.
2) Doctors? Not corporations, of course not, neither the government, but perhaps a special medical profession?
3) Of course. We, as Homo Sapiens, will always create strife over every issue. Should we allow this to block a very valuable medical and scientific breakthrough?

*Allows Google to monitor all movement and information related to movement to get sent to third parties
To follow up:

1. good enough...
2. I know doctors would be doing the implanting/genetic alteration? But who would design the implants or alterations? If its Monsanto, I wouldn't since they can practically patent life. I also wouldn't trust Facebook or Google for their GPS chip*
3. Well if it comes to transhumanists being the majority and naturalists being the minority.... And lets say certain legislation passes making have some kind of chip in you. Yeah, things could get hairly which shouldn't need to....
Last edited by Alekera on Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuThaal Craftworld
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby DuThaal Craftworld » Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Natapoc wrote:

Absolutely nothing.

I'm going to "hack" the transhumans and turn them all into my little slaves except they will enjoy it because I'll activate the pleasure centers of their artificial brains every time they do what I say. With my army of drones I'll build an empire, controlled via wifi or 4G if out of range!

It would be absolutely hilarious if someone made the argument that they would liberate the transhumans by getting them out of 4g and wifi range or blocking my signal.

Yes, because there's no way there would be a built in failsafe to someone doing that, or just, you know, not replacing your brain. Supplementing it? Maybe. Replacing it? Stupid, no?
FT+FanT
METAL BAWKSES

Antares XII
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Tue May 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Antares XII wrote:
Again, you are a radically different person from who you were at the age of one. I don't see the problem here.

If you had read the post, you'd have seen exactly what the problem is. I said as much. The point is that we don't know how we'll change. Growing up, we become a mature version of the person we were, barring mishaps that fuck us up. But right now, we really don't know the pitfalls of how people might change.

If brain uploading or assimilation makes me the Ubermensch, then I am cool with it. But if it turns out that I might become a sociopath, or a manic-depressive android, then I'm out.

I did, in fact, read the post. Bolded text relevant. Mishaps that fuck us up occur all the time on all scales. "fucked up" is any state that is not your original state, which would be the fresh, clean slate of a fully undeveloped mind. By default, this means we are all fucked up, which brings me to my conclusion.

Natapoc wrote:It's just as likely attempts at assimilation would result in retardation at best, or a boost in intelligence for a year or so followed by irreversible failure and death or disability.

And just as likely that it would work to varying degrees of success.

Alekera wrote:trans-humanism, at least to me is a double edged blade. It can be both good and bad...

And that is exactly my point. It could be either. At this point there is no reason to assume it will be either, so we should research the entire matter further to find out satisfactorily.
Frisbeeteria wrote:"The community" has the ability, if not the strength, to simply not respond to trolls. I'm sure there are plenty of players who quietly sit back without responding and go on to other threads. We don't hear from them very often. They're the quiet 99%. Mostly we hear from people like the OP and a small group of discontented players about our many and various failures. I truly think that most of "the community" probably thinks we're doing a good job, or simply doesn't think about it at all.

I only posted in TET that one time I swear! I prefer intellectual discussions
Abolitionist, technogaianist, postgenderist, extropianist, libertarian transhumanist
Agnostic atheist and skeptical cynic
I do not identify as a person
Dark grey asexual

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Tue May 07, 2013 7:44 pm

DuThaal Craftworld wrote:
Natapoc wrote:
Absolutely nothing.

Yes, because there's no way there would be a built in failsafe to someone doing that, or just, you know, not replacing your brain. Supplementing it? Maybe. Replacing it? Stupid, no?

Your computer has multiple failsafes in place to prevent hackers and yet zero day exploits are found and exploited regularly.

Can you imagine the lulz anonymous would have?
Did you see a ghost?

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Tue May 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Alekera wrote:
DuThaal Craftworld wrote:1) When your conscious is no longer human.

*Allows Google to monitor all movement and information related to movement to get sent to third parties
To follow up:

1. good enough...
2. I know doctors would be doing the implanting/genetic alteration? But who would design the implants or alterations? If its Monsanto, I wouldn't since they can practically patent life. I also wouldn't trust Facebook or Google for their GPS chip*
3. Well if it comes to transhumanists being the majority and naturalists being the minority.... And lets say certain legislation passes making have some kind of chip in you. Yeah, things could get hairly which shouldn't need to....

Denying your child a cerebral implant is child abuse! They will never be able to compete in the workplace, let alone graduate elementary school without augmented intelligence.

If you refuse, your child will be taken away from you by social services.
Did you see a ghost?

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Transhumanists' central philosophical problem, which seems to be quite typified by this thread, is the inherent problem of extrapolating future conditions based on present trends.

(Image)

Absent a serious understanding of the complete mechanics of the speculative technologies they propose, and the long litany of necessary steps needed to reach there, the extrapolation argument amounts to a lot of handwaving.

Moore's Law is a casual observation about the capabilities of integrated circuits in the consumer products market. It is not a scientific law. And the technology it seeks to track has likely already begun reaching diminishing returns. Which is why computing has required an overwhelming turn to parellelization and neural networks to squeeze more juice out of conventional silicon computers. And absent a radical paradigm shift to a different method of computing, silicon will reach fundamental physical limits in the near future, and it will no longer be possible to further miniaturize transistors.

:clap:

I was just thinking about exactly what you said. Moore's Law isn't a scientific fact, it's an extrapolation of an observation disguised as a fact that's already begun to prove false. It fit like a glove in its first few decades, but it's already starting to loosen. Eventually, at this rate, Wirth's Law will probably be closer to reality until we see another total revolution in computing technology.

Frankly I don't understand the obsession with computer science anyway. It's not real science. It's basically electrical engineering and programming dressed up as a full-fledged scientific field on par with physics or biology.
Last edited by Phocidaea on Tue May 07, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Alekera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Alekera » Tue May 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Alekera wrote:
To follow up:

1. good enough...

Denying your child a cerebral implant is child abuse! They will never be able to compete in the workplace, let alone graduate elementary school without augmented intelligence.

If you refuse, your child will be taken away from you by social services.

Well thats messed up... child service, i mean....

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm

NVADF wrote:What do you guys think of transhumanism?
Personally, I think it sounds great.

I don't really see the point of it. Why are you speculating something that hasn't exist yet? Science and engineering are both laborious and transhumanism just trivializes it.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Norstal wrote:
NVADF wrote:What do you guys think of transhumanism?
Personally, I think it sounds great.

I don't really see the point of it. Why are you speculating something that hasn't exist yet? Science and engineering are both laborious and transhumanism just trivializes it.

Is this like, the second time, ever that we've agreed on something?
Did you see a ghost?

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 pm

AETEN II wrote:The Culture is awesome.

And here's another point where we disagree.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
AETEN II wrote:The Culture is awesome.

How the hell is the Culture not awesome? They're immortal technological gods that construct godly AI to create a perfect society where crime is rare if not unheard of, those wonderful simulation, lulzy body substitution. Oh, yeah, and orgies everywhere.

Isn't that the definition of heaven in most religions?
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:

How the hell is the Culture not awesome? They're immortal technological gods that construct godly AI to create a perfect society where crime is rare if not unheard of, those wonderful simulation, lulzy body substitution. Oh, yeah, and orgies everywhere.

The tripod alien things should have exterminated the culture.

Antares XII
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:

Replace "orgies" with "scientific breakthroughs, technological advancements, and furtherment of knowledge and understanding", and it is in mine.
Frisbeeteria wrote:"The community" has the ability, if not the strength, to simply not respond to trolls. I'm sure there are plenty of players who quietly sit back without responding and go on to other threads. We don't hear from them very often. They're the quiet 99%. Mostly we hear from people like the OP and a small group of discontented players about our many and various failures. I truly think that most of "the community" probably thinks we're doing a good job, or simply doesn't think about it at all.

Abolitionist, technogaianist, postgenderist, extropianist, libertarian transhumanist
Dark grey asexual

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Antares XII wrote:
AETEN II wrote:How the hell is the Culture not awesome? They're immortal technological gods that construct godly AI to create a perfect society where crime is rare if not unheard of, those wonderful simulation, lulzy body substitution. Oh, yeah, and orgies everywhere.

Replace "orgies" with "scientific breakthroughs, technological advancements, and furtherment of knowledge and understanding", and it is in mine.

This.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Antares XII wrote:

This.

Awesomegasm. If only the above would replace religion.
Last edited by Luveria on Tue May 07, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antares XII
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Luveria wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:This.

Awesomegasm. If only the above would replace religion.

One can only hope...

Dark grey asexual

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Norstal wrote:I don't really see the point of it. Why are you speculating something that hasn't exist yet? Science and engineering are both laborious and transhumanism just trivializes it.

Is this like, the second time, ever that we've agreed on something?

I probably agree with you on a number of issues, but never say anything because I'm a sneaky bastard.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue May 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Antares XII wrote:
AETEN II wrote:How the hell is the Culture not awesome? They're immortal technological gods that construct godly AI to create a perfect society where crime is rare if not unheard of, those wonderful simulation, lulzy body substitution. Oh, yeah, and orgies everywhere.

They have that as well you know, that's just status quo for civilizations that AI's that can simulate ENTIRE UNIVERSES WITHIN UNIVERSES.

We're talking about guys that use dimensional ripples as weapons, which happens when they brake too hard.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General