NATION

PASSWORD

Transhumanism: What's your take on it?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of transhumanism?

I'm all for it!
57%
Needs to be controlled.
34%
Should be banned!
8%

Total votes : 190

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:We need to go screaming into the future as fast as possible. Scientific progress over all else. We'll work out the kinks later.

That is the road to cybernetic revolts, ecological collapse, genetic divides, and grey goo.

It also makes for fun SIFI and video game plots. The chances of any of this actually happening however, are pretty remote.
Did you see a ghost?

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:That is the road to cybernetic revolts, ecological collapse, genetic divides, and grey goo.

Which is why you specifically cultivate a government to focus on stabilized advancements and use corporations to your advantage to ensure stability. Ironically, corporations will be a godsend whenever cybernetics is fully developed and somebody tries to lash back.

And this is an example of precisely why skeptics think of transhumanists as a bunch of autocratic fascists.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Faolinn wrote:*laughs boisterously*Really?Your kind sure seem like it.You think technology is the end all be all of everything when the truth is natural forces in the world could wipe us out in seconds if the right circumstances came to be.

Apart from a gamma ray burst or the sun going supernova, or whatever it is called. Name one thing.

As an aside, gotta love how you're putting nature on a godlike pedestal while accusing us of being overly religious.

Let's see rogue planets, a super virus could kill us all before we could invent a cure,a devastating impact from any number or decently sized celestial object could very easily facilitate the death of our species. Hell if someone were to set off an emp bomb in the middle of a number of multiple major metropolises, our way of life as it is would collapse or at the very least greatly inhibit it.It doesn't need to be a bomb, a sufficiently large enough pulse from forces out in the universe could do the same thing.If our sun blew up by some weird fluke of physics rather than it's slow eventual death we would all cease to live.
Last edited by Faolinn on Tue May 07, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Faolinn wrote:
Antares XII wrote:
Firstly, SI, not AI. Synthetic =/= artificial. Secondly, I am of the opinion that digitisation is not only possible at some point in the future, but a sound strategy to ensure the survival of the species.

We aren't just the meatbags we inhabit. We are more than human bodies. Why should we profess such irrational clinginess to them?

You really couldn't.The best you could hope for is to create a simulacrum.

http://futurisms.thenewatlantis.com/201 ... -work.html

I don't particularly see the problem with that.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
AETEN II wrote:Which is why you specifically cultivate a government to focus on stabilized advancements and use corporations to your advantage to ensure stability. Ironically, corporations will be a godsend whenever cybernetics is fully developed and somebody tries to lash back.

And this is an example of precisely why skeptics think of transhumanists as a bunch of autocratic fascists.

A few transhumanists are. But the only ones that seem to get noticed are those.

Antares XII
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:We need to go screaming into the future as fast as possible. Scientific progress over all else. We'll work out the kinks later.

That is the road to cybernetic revolts, ecological collapse, genetic divides, and grey goo.

And I cannot wait.

PS if you say anything about "ebul ay-eyes" so help me.
Frisbeeteria wrote:"The community" has the ability, if not the strength, to simply not respond to trolls. I'm sure there are plenty of players who quietly sit back without responding and go on to other threads. We don't hear from them very often. They're the quiet 99%. Mostly we hear from people like the OP and a small group of discontented players about our many and various failures. I truly think that most of "the community" probably thinks we're doing a good job, or simply doesn't think about it at all.

I only posted in TET that one time I swear! I prefer intellectual discussions
Abolitionist, technogaianist, postgenderist, extropianist, libertarian transhumanist
Agnostic atheist and skeptical cynic
I do not identify as a person
Dark grey asexual

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:We live longer.
Medicine has allowed us to discover various psychological disorders and treat them. People suffering from various psychological disorders can now get the treatment and medication in order to live normal lives to an extent.
Your average human today knows more about the world than a goat herder of Mesopotamia. Hell, even decently educated teenagers know more about the universe than a lot of ancient men.

Medicine, computers, wide access to information, the other tools that allow us to experiment.

Some of the same limitations, but not all. Their life spans were shorter, ours are not as short (depending on where you live). Their knowledge of the universe was more limited, ours less so.

1. No. More of us live longer on average.
2. Yes people can be treated for disorders but the treatments do not represent "overcoming limitations on humans on a physical, psychological, and intellectual level through emerging technologies", it represents doctors treating a disorder or illness that's harming a person.
3. Yes we know more but we're not necessarily, as individuals, more intelligent. It's just that more people are able to express their natural intelligence due to improvements in education, nutrition, and sanitation.

Do you see the key here? We're not improving humans, we're fighting the things that are hurting humans and we're removing some of the environmental issues that make humans not be able to live up to their potential.

Also, be careful not to conflate collective improvements in intelligence and health with individual improvements. It's true that MORE people have longer lifespans but it's not true that a given individual born in ancient Mesopotamia would live longer in the modern era. There were people who lived into their hundreds back then too.

So If a child was born tomorrow you don't think it would have a better chance of living through till it's 100'th birthday than any child born 3000 years ago? How can this not be an improvement on the overall living conditions of humanity?
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Bottle wrote:
Natapoc wrote:
I disagree that either of these examples remove "limitations on humans on a physical, psychological, and intellectual level through emerging technologies"

The people of ancient Mesopotamia had immune systems that worked fundamentally identical to ours today and vaccines do not, in any way, alter that. They simply provide us with immunity in a similar way to if we had caught the disease, fought it off, and overcome it.

There is no improvement to the way humans work here.

So you're saying that if I alter the function of an immune system in a manner that increases the host's likelihood of survival, that does not qualify as "improvement."

Can you give an example of something that would qualify?

The thing is you're not really doing something to improve the immune system (as a system) here. You're influencing the body to produce antibodies the same as it would if exposed to the regular disease.

An example of something that WOULD qualify is if all modern humans had, by virtue of some advanced technology, immune systems that could recognize harmful pathogens and fight them without going through the usual natural methods that humans and most animals have.
Did you see a ghost?

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Faolinn wrote:
Apart from a gamma ray burst or the sun going supernova, or whatever it is called. Name one thing.

As an aside, gotta love how you're putting nature on a godlike pedestal while accusing us of being overly religious.

Let's see rogue planets, a super virus could kill us all before we could invent a cure,a devastating impact from any number or decently sized celestial object could very easily facilitate the death of our species. Hell if someone were to set off an emp bomb in the middle of a number of multiple major metropolises, our way of life as it is would collapse or at the very least greatly inhibit it.It doesn't need to be a bomb, a sufficiently large enough pulse from forces out in the universe could do the same thing.

Please explain how said virus would spread. Please explain how we wouldn't notice any of those objects before the point where we could do something about it A la Armageddon. Please explain how that works at all, (I'll give you a hint, it doesn't. All critical information is usually backed up somewhere else. Frequently on opposite sides of the globe.)
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
AETEN II wrote:Which is why you specifically cultivate a government to focus on stabilized advancements and use corporations to your advantage to ensure stability. Ironically, corporations will be a godsend whenever cybernetics is fully developed and somebody tries to lash back.

Perhaps Skeptics should concentrate on attacking things that are core to transhumanism such as say... the advancement of the human species rather than things that individual transhumanists may or may not espouse?
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Faolinn wrote:
Antares XII wrote:
Firstly, SI, not AI. Synthetic =/= artificial. Secondly, I am of the opinion that digitisation is not only possible at some point in the future, but a sound strategy to ensure the survival of the species.

We aren't just the meatbags we inhabit. We are more than human bodies. Why should we profess such irrational clinginess to them?

Except said technology doesn't even exist yet, so it's impossible to even predict what would happen and thus the entire argument is voided and pointless. Currently biological is our best bet with stem cell injections to ensure neurons don't entirely die off. Technological augmentation would be the best, but the date of that technology is far off and unpredictable. It'd be the best and surest option to ensure humanity and its descendants would never die off, but we're fucking clueless as to how it would work.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Tue May 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Natapoc wrote:

2. Yes people can be treated for disorders but the treatments do not represent "overcoming limitations on humans on a physical, psychological, and intellectual level through emerging technologies", it represents doctors treating a disorder or illness that's harming a person.
3. Yes we know more but we're not necessarily, as individuals, more intelligent. It's just that more people are able to express their natural intelligence due to improvements in education, nutrition, and sanitation.

Do you see the key here? We're not improving humans, we're fighting the things that are hurting humans and we're removing some of the environmental issues that make humans not be able to live up to their potential.

Also, be careful not to conflate collective improvements in intelligence and health with individual improvements. It's true that MORE people have longer lifespans but it's not true that a given individual born in ancient Mesopotamia would live longer in the modern era. There were people who lived into their hundreds back then too.

So If a child was born tomorrow you don't think it would have a better chance of living through till it's 100'th birthday than any child born 3000 years ago? How can this not be an improvement on the overall living conditions of humanity?

Of course the child would have a better statistical chance. But the child would not be different. The environment in which the child was raised would be different.
Last edited by Natapoc on Tue May 07, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did you see a ghost?

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue May 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:That is the road to cybernetic revolts, ecological collapse, genetic divides, and grey goo.

And the industrial revolution was the road to democratic revolutions all over the world, why do you assume the advance of this particular technology will be supremely negative in comparison to all those that have come before?

No, advancing technology heedless of consequences is never a good idea. I am an acts utilitarian, and I judge things based on what will maximize utility for the greatest number. Trying to "work out kinks later" instead of as you are implementing leads to disastrous consequences. Even more so with truly transhuman technologies, which have a startling level of potential negative consequences and potential for backlash.

What better way to destroy your transhuman future than to see its bounties become the province of only the ruling class and the wealthy, while the proles can't afford the massive cost of having their bodies radically re-engineered so they can be immortal, super-intelligent supermen. Such a situation would be bad enough in its own right, and then there's the possibility of the proles mobilizing against such advances themselves, and leading to the banning of such technologies.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Faolinn wrote:Let's see rogue planets, a super virus could kill us all before we could invent a cure,a devastating impact from any number or decently sized celestial object could very easily facilitate the death of our species. Hell if someone were to set off an emp bomb in the middle of a number of multiple major metropolises, our way of life as it is would collapse or at the very least greatly inhibit it.It doesn't need to be a bomb, a sufficiently large enough pulse from forces out in the universe could do the same thing.

Please explain how said virus would spread. Please explain how we wouldn't notice any of those objects before the point where we could do something about it A la Armageddon. Please explain how that works at all, (I'll give you a hint, it doesn't. All critical information is usually backed up somewhere else. Frequently on opposite sides of the globe.)

Well depending on the size of said rogue planet,you might not be able to do anything sufficient enough to stop it.As for how the virus would spread, I'm not certain, I would need more time to flesh out all the biological specifics.Also, there's no guarantee that you could stop all of said objects or even one depending on the circumstances.Also you fail to understand. Do realize the sort of damage that would do to our technological infrastructure and to our lives given that we have become sedentary and dependent on said technology? Sure you might have information stored on the other side of the world but what about everything else effected.Also, and like all of this, it is rare, a rapidly spreading and lethal parasite could do us in if by some miracle it is that resistant. Also if some agent out in nature were to come about that killed the fertility of at least half the human race and for whatever reason seemed to attack one sex disproportionately we would be screwed unless everyone rushed the sperm/egg banks assuming it didn't continue to be a problem by some strange occurrence.
Last edited by Faolinn on Tue May 07, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

My ideal government would be a Fascist state. It serves my Greater Good the best, and could enforce stability. Just put up special contingencies to prevent genocide or excessive corruption and you're good to go.

Also, a super virus could easily kill a large chunk of us off and shake us up. See this thing called 'airports'.

Although if anything would kill us off, I would predict a series of events created by Global War which all combined to wipe us. The final kicker would likely be wide-scale war started over resources like food and drinking water.
Last edited by AETEN II on Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:We live longer.
Medicine has allowed us to discover various psychological disorders and treat them. People suffering from various psychological disorders can now get the treatment and medication in order to live normal lives to an extent.
Your average human today knows more about the world than a goat herder of Mesopotamia. Hell, even decently educated teenagers know more about the universe than a lot of ancient men.

Medicine, computers, wide access to information, the other tools that allow us to experiment.

Some of the same limitations, but not all. Their life spans were shorter, ours are not as short (depending on where you live). Their knowledge of the universe was more limited, ours less so.

1. And we've done that by having technology overcome the limitations affecting humans of that era.
2. How is medication that allows a person to live a more normal life not allowing a person with a psychological disorder to overcome their limitations?
3. All brought about by technology that has allowed us to expand our knowledge. A grade 12 chemistry student will know more about how the world works than a ancient intellectual.

We are improving humans. Through technology we have been able to increase the average lifespan, to expand our knowledge and to even overcome certain limitations imposed on us. We have some of the same limitations of early humans, but we have also overcome other ones that they were not able to overcome given there technological standing.

And yes, an ancient Mesopotamian could integrate into our society. That's the point. Taking humans, and improving their conditions and eliminating or negating certain limitations. That's what has happened and that is what would happen for that person.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:What better way to destroy your transhuman future than to see its bounties become the province of only the ruling class and the wealthy

As with most technology. Most transhumanists seem to be completely accepting that the wealthy will be the first in line.

Antares XII
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Faolinn wrote:
Antares XII wrote:

I counter with scientific determinism. That will have to do for now as I am nowhere near being in the proper mindset to explain to you my thoughts on consciousness.
Frisbeeteria wrote:"The community" has the ability, if not the strength, to simply not respond to trolls. I'm sure there are plenty of players who quietly sit back without responding and go on to other threads. We don't hear from them very often. They're the quiet 99%. Mostly we hear from people like the OP and a small group of discontented players about our many and various failures. I truly think that most of "the community" probably thinks we're doing a good job, or simply doesn't think about it at all.

I only posted in TET that one time I swear! I prefer intellectual discussions
Abolitionist, technogaianist, postgenderist, extropianist, libertarian transhumanist
Agnostic atheist and skeptical cynic
I do not identify as a person
Dark grey asexual

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Luveria wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:What better way to destroy your transhuman future than to see its bounties become the province of only the ruling class and the wealthy

As with most technology. Most transhumanists seem to be completely accepting that the wealthy will be the first in line.

Well no, I'd rather the system change before then to allow most of the population to have access from the get go. But that comes in differences on economic and societal structure.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Faolinn wrote:

Well depending on the size of said rogue planet,you might not be able to do anything sufficient enough to stop it.As for how the virus would spread, I'm not certain, I would need more time to flesh out all the biological specifics.Also, there's no guarantee that you could stop all of said objects or even one depending on the circumstances.Also you fail to understand. Do realize the sort of damage that would do to our technological infrastructure and to our lives given that we have become sedentary and dependent on said technology? Sure you might have information stored on the other side of the world but what about everything else effected.Also, and like all of this, it is rare, a rapidly spreading and lethal parasite could do us in if by some miracle it is that resistant.

It'd be fixed. It's not like we're completely unprotected against EMP's.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Antares XII wrote:

And I cannot wait.

PS if you say anything about "ebul ay-eyes" so help me.

The only way AIs would be evil is if we made them that way, whether by design or through mistreatment.

"The villainy you teach me, I will execute. And it shall go hard, but I will better the instruction." Shylock, The Merchant of Venice, Act III, Scene 1.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm

All in favour. Our bodies suck.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Athylon Prime
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Athylon Prime » Tue May 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Central Slavia wrote:All in favour. Our bodies suck.

Aye

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm

I am very fond of transhumanism. I dont admire all trends with transhumanists (e.g. the idea of rejecting the natural world) but then I did come to my transhumanism from my days in the Green party.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Central Slavia wrote:All in favour. Our bodies suck.

Well no, they don't suck or else we wouldn't exist. We can improve upon them however.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General