NATION

PASSWORD

Men need to be trained to not rape.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Rape Prevention Glasses?

They're like the opposite of beer goggles?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/military-birth-control-glasses_n_1242628.html

Aghny
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:36 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
They're like the opposite of beer goggles?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/military-birth-control-glasses_n_1242628.html

Exaggeration!

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Blitzkriegburgistan wrote:Have you ever considered that ordinary well-adjusted males might know perfectly well that 1. consent is a requirement before sex and 2. might feel insulted if you imply otherwise?

I appreciate that you're new and everything, but over the last two and a bit weeks we've had two threads, covering 241 pages, filled with "ordinary well-adjusted males" demonstrating that their understanding of rape and consent is seriously flawed. So much so that people who initially felt that there was no need to educate people about rape and consent have since changed their minds.

So, no. I don't buy for a second the argument that anywhere near enough males understand rape and consent.
Last edited by Nadkor on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Aghny
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Blitzkriegburgistan wrote:Have you ever considered that ordinary well-adjusted males might know perfectly well that 1. consent is a requirement before sex and 2. might feel insulted if you imply otherwise?

I appreciate that you're new and everything, but over the last two and a bit weeks we've had two threads, covering 241 pages, filled with "ordinary well-adjusted males" demonstrating that their understanding of rape and consent is seriously flawed. So much so that people who initially felt that there was no need to educate people about rape and consent have since changed their minds.

So, no. I don't buy for a second the argument that anywhere near enough males understand rape and consent.

To be honest, i think everyone understands just fine. Acknowledging it is another issue.

Also trolls :p (and not the bridge troll kind)

Not to mention most of the actual rapists are sexual predators who do it even though they know it is wrong. (One could say that i don't see for example non-consental sex between couples to be rape even though it kind of is)
Last edited by Aghny on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Aghny wrote:
Nadkor wrote:

To be honest, i think everyone understands just fine. Acknowledging it is another issue.

Also trolls :p (and not the bridge troll kind)

All the available evidence (i.e. from those 241 pages) suggests that they don't, though. That's the thing.

Which brings me on to...

Not to mention most of the actual rapists are sexual predators who do it even though they know it is wrong. (One could say that i don't see for example non-consental sex between couples to be rape even though it kind of is)

...the fact that you need to be educated about rape and consent.

I mean, it's almost hilarious. As many people noted, every time someone says that they don't think that there needs to be education about rape and consent that very same person goes on to demonstrate that they don't fully understand rape and consent and help prove the point.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah most rape is really from people who don't think what they're doing is rape.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Nadkor wrote:I mean, it's almost hilarious. As many people noted, every time someone says that they don't think that there needs to be education about rape and consent that very same person goes on to demonstrate that they don't fully understand rape and consent and help prove the point.

I've been watching this for days now, and I've started almost counting down "he says he knows what rape is, how many posts until he demonstrates he doesn't know what rape is?"

EVERY TIME the answer has been "one"
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Aghny
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Nadkor wrote:All the available evidence (i.e. from those 241 pages) suggests that they don't, though. That's the thing.

Which brings me on to...

I mean, it's almost hilarious. As many people noted, every time someone says that they don't think that there needs to be education about rape and consent that very same person goes on to demonstrate that they don't fully understand rape and consent and help prove the point.

Well, like i said, almost everyone know what it is. But that doesn't mean they have to acknowledge it. Also everyone has different definitions and opinions on things.

I don't see it as a problem though unless they are for example actively going around trying to find possible victims.

As in my case for example. My wife doesn't mind and i don't really ask for her consent. Doesn't mean that i don't love her or see her as nothing more than a sex toy. If she says stop, ofcourse i would stop, but that isn't because it is "rape", but because i love her.

Anyways i am not really going to argue my case as no matter what nothing will change my view on it.

Also, see how it means that i know what rape is but i simply don't care ? No amount of awareness is going to change that. Because they are aware. It is like saying that murderers should be taught that killing someone is wrong.

Note: I am not saying that rape isn't a problem or anything. Just my 2 cents as it were.

And if i am to be classified as a rapist just because i don't see alot of these so called rape as rapes, then so be it. Just different opinions. Though i would prefer if no one think of me that way :lol:
Last edited by Aghny on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Aghny wrote:
Nadkor wrote:All the available evidence (i.e. from those 241 pages) suggests that they don't, though. That's the thing.

Which brings me on to...

Well, like i said, almost everyone know what it is. But that doesn't mean they have to acknowledge it. Also everyone has different definitions and opinions on things.

I don't see it as a problem though unless they are for example actively going around trying to find possible victims.

As in my case for example. My wife doesn't mind and i don't really ask for her consent. Doesn't mean that i don't love her or see her as nothing more than a sex toy. If she says stop, ofcourse i would stop, but that isn't because it is "rape", but because i love her.

Anyways i am not really going to argue my case as no matter what nothing will change my view on it.

Also, see how it means that i know what rape is but i simply don't care ? No amount of awareness is going to change that. Because they are aware. It is like saying that murderers should be taught that killing someone is wrong.

Note: I am not saying that rape isn't a problem or anything. Just my 2 cents as it were.

Aghny, you're guilty of an underlying misunderstanding of the bulk of rapes.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Aghny wrote:As in my case for example. My wife doesn't mind and i don't really ask for her consent. Doesn't mean that i don't love her or see her as nothing more than a sex toy. If she says stop, ofcourse i would stop, but that isn't because it is "rape", but because i love her.

You...you would only stop having sex with a woman who clearly withdrew consent not because you worry about raping her but if you loved her?

That's...

Yeah.

Fucking hell.

Also, see how it means that i know what rape is but i simply don't care ?

No.

That's not what it means.

Everything you have written shows that you don't know what rape is.
Last edited by Nadkor on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aghny
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:06 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Aghny, you're guilty of an underlying misunderstanding of the bulk of rapes.

More like i don't see them as rapes. Reminds me of a line from "mummy" :

"This is cursed, that is cursed... everything is cursed with you" or something like that.

The problem is its clear cut definitions are subjective in nature.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Aghny wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Aghny, you're guilty of an underlying misunderstanding of the bulk of rapes.

More like i don't see them as rapes.

Exactly.

Aghny
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Aghny wrote:As in my case for example. My wife doesn't mind and i don't really ask for her consent. Doesn't mean that i don't love her or see her as nothing more than a sex toy. If she says stop, ofcourse i would stop, but that isn't because it is "rape", but because i love her.

You...you would only stop having sex with a woman who clearly withdrew consent not because you worry about raping her but if you loved her?

That's...

Yeah.

Fucking hell.

Wife. Different matter altogether. And yeah, according to your definition of rape, i am pretty much a rapist lol and so is she so, i don't really see myself "worrying about raping" her.

Also, see how it means that i know what rape is but i simply don't care ?

No.

That's now what it means.

Yet i understand your view perfectly fine. I just choose not to follow it.

Aghny
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Aghny wrote:
More like i don't see them as rapes.

Exactly.

Because they aren't in a sense.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Aghny wrote:
Nadkor wrote:
Exactly.

In the sense that you're fucking someone without their consent?

Yeah, I totally see what you mean. That's completely different to fucking someone without their consent.

Aghny
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Nadkor wrote:
Aghny wrote:

In the sense that you're fucking someone without their consent?

Yeah, I totally see what you mean. That's completely different to fucking someone without their consent.

I meant as in i see rape as physically subjugating someone and then forcibly having sex with them.
Everything else depends on alot of factors that i won't classify them without the full story.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Ayreonia wrote:I often wonder if these people realize what they are saying at all. By arguing that indecently dressed women are asking to be raped, they're also saying that men are lustful animal who are unable to control their urges if they see exposed flesh. It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

The problem is that Islam itself is a rape culture, but especially so when Shariah law is in place. The 4 male witnesses requirement for a woman to prove that a rape took place is specifically designed so that rapists are able to get away while the victim will be punished for adultery or sex outside of marriage.

But how Muslims can possibly look up to Muhammad as the perfect and most righteous person is beyond me. It is well known that he was a violent warlord who approved of rape, murder, and slavery.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Muham ... u-rape.htm
Last edited by Saiwania on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Nadkor wrote:

I'm not even sure if I do, which I why I don't have sex *nod*

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Aghny wrote:
Nadkor wrote:

That's...

Yeah.

Fucking hell.

Wife. Different matter altogether. And yeah, according to your definition of rape, i am pretty much a rapist lol and so is she so, i don't really see myself "worrying about raping" her.

No.

That's now what it means.

Yet i understand your view perfectly fine. I just choose not to follow it.

This really isn't a poh-Tay-to po-ta-to kind of thing.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Aghny wrote:
Nadkor wrote:In the sense that you're fucking someone without their consent?

I meant as in i see rape as physically subjugating someone and then forcibly having sex with them.
Everything else depends on alot of factors that i won't classify them without the full story.

Yeah, you don't know what rape is.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Aghny wrote:I meant as in i see rape as physically subjugating someone and then forcibly having sex with them.

When a monkey loves another monkey just a little more than is healthy for anyone....

Aghny
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Aghny wrote:I meant as in i see rape as physically subjugating someone and then forcibly having sex with them.

One could see it the other way too. As in you might be considering things that are not rape to be rape.

As i previously said, it is subjective. Similar to morals for example, or for a even more related example, accidents to murders or perhaps killing someone in self defence.
Last edited by Aghny on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:I often wonder if these people realize what they are saying at all. By arguing that indecently dressed women are asking to be raped, they're also saying that men are lustful animal who are unable to control their urges if they see exposed flesh. It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

The problem is that Islam itself is a rape culture, but especially so when Shariah law is in place. The 4 male witnesses requirement for a woman to prove that a rape took place is specifically designed so that rapists are able to get away while the victim will be punished for adultery or sex outside of marriage.

But how Muslims can possibly look up to Muhammad as the perfect and most righteous person is beyond me. It is well known that he was a violent warlord who approved of rape, murder, and slavery.

I don't believe in a "rape culture", but it's clear that Islam can be called a culture that endorses, nay, encourages, violence, including but not limited to rape. I say this, even if I risk being called a racist (which would be a wrong term to use, anyway).
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Aghny
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aghny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Ayreonia wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

I don't believe in a "rape culture", but it's clear that Islam can be called a culture that endorses, nay, encourages, violence, including but not limited to rape. I say this, even if I risk being called a racist (which would be a wrong term to use, anyway).

While i myself am not an islamist, from what i know, the religion itself doesn't or didn't advocate these practices. But humans in general are good at finding ways to pervert things.

Note: like i said it is from what i know, so doesn't necessarily have to be true.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Aghny wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Yeah, you don't know what rape is.

One could see it the other way too. As in you might be considering things that are not rape to be rape.

As i previously said, it is subjective. Similar to morals for example, or for a even more related example, accidents to murders or perhaps killing someone in self defence.

Rape: committing nonconsensual sexual activities. I fail to see what is subjective about this.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General