NATION

PASSWORD

Maryland close to eliminating death penalty

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:39 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:It was probably easier for that to happen a century ago when we didn't have forensics and mostly depended on witnesses and circumstantial evidence to convict, but technology these days makes it easy to prove someone's guilt beyond reasonable doubt. There is no way a serial killers could properly hide his dna, fingerprints, and other traces of evidence from multiple crimes that he participated in.

Easy.

Kill somebody in a Hazmat suit.

Or hell, you could take crime into the space-age and kill someone with a high-powered laser.

Where will you dispose of the HazMat suit?

(The answer was in Mount Kilauea)
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Ainin wrote:
AETEN II wrote:Easy.

Kill somebody in a Hazmat suit.

Or hell, you could take crime into the space-age and kill someone with a high-powered laser.

Where will you dispose of the HazMat suit?

(The answer was in Mount Kilauea)

Oh yeah, that brings up two things.
-Destroy it.
-Perfect Murder- chuck somebody into a Volcano. Difficult, but hey, no body to find. No DNA either.

Also, good another death penalty down, AKA, waste of money. Lets now move onto the other states, like the horrible mess of a place where I live, California.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Condunum wrote:So my state is replacing the death penalty with life-sentencing. Personally, I think this is another great step towards fixing the broken prison system. What are your thoughts, NSG? Progress, or stupid move?

I'd be wary about viewing it as a great step toward fixing the broken prison system..since all they did was (maybe) abolish a punishment that affects .02% of the prison population and only comes up about once a decade. :p

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Condunum wrote:So my state is replacing the death penalty with life-sentencing. Personally, I think this is another great step towards fixing the broken prison system. What are your thoughts, NSG? Progress, or stupid move?

I'd be wary about viewing it as a great step toward fixing the broken prison system..since all they did was (maybe) abolish a punishment that affects .02% of the prison population and only comes up about once a decade. :p

I live in California. Death Row is simply life in prison, because the lethal injection gets stuck in border control because it's a 'lethal substance'.

Well no shit.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:51 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

I live in California. Death Row is simply life in prison, because the lethal injection gets stuck in border control because it's a 'lethal substance'.

Well no shit.

You're kidding.

You are kidding, right?
password scrambled

Curiosityness
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Curiosityness » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Yesssss
left/libertarian
economic left:-2.88
social libertarian:-5.54

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:55 pm

This is CM's Communist plot. I just know it.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:55 pm

I think the state has no right to deprive a citizen of life. Citizen.

Foreign invaders/terrorists are different.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Sovietta
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovietta » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Good. The Death Penalty is harsh.
Economic Left/Right: -9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49
Left: -7.64
Social libertarian: -3.39
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist: -10
Cultural Liberal: -5.95

Quebec and Atlantic Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quebec and Atlantic Canada » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Good for Maryland!

Now let's put those Democratic supermajorities to use in California, eh?

Asasia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Asasia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

This is great news! Now they can start focusing more on rehabilitation rather than deterrents.
Asasia Homepage
Nationstates Tracker
Benomia wrote:
The Cosmos wrote:That's nice. You country will be nothing left but a deserted wasteland inhabited by a homosexual walrus.

You say that like it's a bad thing

I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56

I am a Marxist-Leninist Communist

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:They do, but you still have to eat and shower with most of the prison population, which is where prison murders tend to happen.

Source?

There is no source. There is only Rereumrari!
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Norstal wrote:This is CM's Communist plot. I just know it.

We had a secret convention a few months ago. Shh, don't tell anyone.
password scrambled

Sailsia
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sailsia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Good job Maryland. Hopefully your neighbor to the east will do the same soon.
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Condunum wrote:
AETEN II wrote:I live in California. Death Row is simply life in prison, because the lethal injection gets stuck in border control because it's a 'lethal substance'.

Well no shit.

You're kidding.

You are kidding, right?

If I remember correctly, no I am not. Although I can't find the original article (it was local news a long time ago), it might have been caused by them being deemed 'cruel' by the judges, and thus held, or before that case, so they were simply held because of tighter laws after 9/11.

But knowing my state, probably not.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Im surprised people forget about how long it actually takes from being sentenced to death, to being executed.

Sri Tschow
Minister

Founded: Jul 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sri Tschow » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I have not read through the entire thread, but Rereumari is ridiculous. Say there is a man standing in a room with a gun. There are fourteen dead bodies, all shot with that gun. The man's fingerprints are on the gun, and there is residue on the man to suggest that he fired the rounds. He didn't, however. There was another man who had that gun and shot and killed all fourteen people. He then tossed the gun and ran. The man who was surrounded by the bodies picks up the gun and fires at the real murderer. Then the police come in, and see the man with the gun, and the bodies on the floor. He was wrongly convicted of homicide and sent to death row. That is a very real scenario.
"Asking NSG about military strategy is like asking Stephen Hawking about running hurdles."~Blazedtown

"There is no fixing the world. There is just making it suck a little less."~Corsca

"Humans fight to the last. When all hope is lost, when everything stands to be taken? That's when they fight the hardest. I see no reason not to continue that tradition."~The Emerald Legion

"Capitalism is a petrol station with unreasonably priced drinks on the highway to utopia."~Forster Keys
Economic Left|Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian|Authoritarian: -6.87
Vapor Political Spectrum
Are found here.

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Condunum wrote:No, really.

Maryland’s Senate voted Wednesday to repeal the death penalty, moving the state one step closer to joining 17 others that ban capital punishment.
The Senate voted 27-20 to pass legislation that would replace execution with a sentence of life without the possibility of parole. The bill must be approved by the House of Delegates before becoming law.

Gov. Martin O'Malley said he was pleased with the vote.

"We remain hopeful that we will see a similar outcome in the House," he said in a statement. "It's time to end this ineffective and expensive practice and put our efforts behind crime fighting strategies that work."

Maryland has five inmates on death row, although no executions have been conducted since 2005. The state has carried out five executions since the death penalty was reinstated in 1978, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

“The vote in the Maryland Senate to end the death penalty is in line with an emerging trend away from capital punishment around the country,” Richard Dieter, the center’s executive director, said in a statement. “Death sentences and executions have sharply declined, and now states are taking the final step toward eliminating the death penalty.”

So my state is replacing the death penalty with life-sentencing. Personally, I think this is another great step towards fixing the broken prison system. What are your thoughts, NSG? Progress, or stupid move?

Personally, I wonder why lawmakers believe that allowing monsters who earned the death penalty to live is a good idea. Especially when prisons have a limited capacity and there's hardly any money to expand said prisons. You've also got to remember that their victims, or by extension, their loved ones have to deal with the fact that the person who committed a crime against their life or limb is going to live (behind bars) while those who suffered at the hands of the criminal aren't getting the justice they deserve. Showing compassion to those who commit the crimes that earn the death penalty is not the way society should work.

Not only that, but more tax dollars to keep former death row inmates in prison for the rest of their lives? Sure, they are stuck in prison, but where is the justice for the victims and their loved ones?

Then again, these are the same political elites that are creating legislation that is driving a major job supplier (Beretta USA) out of the state... or that's what they are threatening to do anyway. Hooray for 'Progress'. Can't fix a broken system if you just add onto the problem. It's like digging a hole and expecting it to fill back up as you continue to dig.
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Dude Ranch
Secretary

Founded: Dec 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dude Ranch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Condunum wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:Yes and they also were fine with the Death Penalty even though they also included the "cruel and usual" clause in the 8th amendment, which means the death penalty was never meant to be illegal or unconstitutional.

And yet, the interpretation of things change with time, don't they?

Not with the 2nd Amendment it seems.
Left/Right -1.38
Libertarian/Authoritarian -0.41

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Sucrati wrote:Personally, I wonder why lawmakers believe that allowing monsters who earned the death penalty to live is a good idea. Especially when prisons have a limited capacity and there's hardly any money to expand said prisons. You've also got to remember that their victims, or by extension, their loved ones have to deal with the fact that the person who committed a crime against their life or limb is going to live (behind bars) while those who suffered at the hands of the criminal aren't getting the justice they deserve. Showing compassion to those who commit the crimes that earn the death penalty is not the way society should work.

Not only that, but more tax dollars to keep former death row inmates in prison for the rest of their lives? Sure, they are stuck in prison, but where is the justice for the victims and their loved ones?

Then again, these are the same political elites that are creating legislation that is driving a major job supplier (Beretta USA) out of the state... or that's what they are threatening to do anyway. Hooray for 'Progress'. Can't fix a broken system if you just add onto the problem. It's like digging a hole and expecting it to fill back up as you continue to dig.

It is more expensive to kill a prisoner than to house them.

No guilt is absolute.

Justice, not revenge.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Owl Cities
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Owl Cities » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Sucrati wrote:Personally, I wonder why lawmakers believe that allowing monsters who earned the death penalty to live is a good idea. Especially when prisons have a limited capacity and there's hardly any money to expand said prisons.

Arguing for killing people in order to create living space. Reminds me of a certain 1930s-1940s dictator. I wonder who?

Sucrati wrote:You've also got to remember that their victims, or by extension, their loved ones have to deal with the fact that the person who committed a crime against their life or limb is going to live (behind bars) while those who suffered at the hands of the criminal aren't getting the justice they deserve. Showing compassion to those who commit the crimes that earn the death penalty is not the way society should work.

Well, I guess it's a good thing we don't allow those related to victims to decide how our justice system works then! Vengeance is not the same thing as justice.

Sucrati wrote:Not only that, but more tax dollars to keep former death row inmates in prison for the rest of their lives? Sure, they are stuck in prison, but where is the justice for the victims and their loved ones?

It costs more to give prisoners the death penalty then keep them in prison for life.
Last edited by Owl Cities on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. -Mahatma Gandi

Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -8.50 / Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.77

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Sucrati wrote:Not only that, but more tax dollars to keep former death row inmates in prison for the rest of their lives? Sure, they are stuck in prison, but where is the justice for the victims and their loved ones?

Is this justice or revenge?

Because if justice is about revenge, why have the state dish out the punishment? We should let the victims decide the punishment.

But we don't do that because we're not cavemen.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Sucrati wrote:
Condunum wrote:No, really.

So my state is replacing the death penalty with life-sentencing. Personally, I think this is another great step towards fixing the broken prison system. What are your thoughts, NSG? Progress, or stupid move?

Personally, I wonder why lawmakers believe that allowing monsters who earned the death penalty to live is a good idea. Especially when prisons have a limited capacity and there's hardly any money to expand said prisons.

If retarded drug laws were to be fixed, we wouldn't have this problem. Like, at all.

You've also got to remember that their victims, or by extension, their loved ones have to deal with the fact that the person who committed a crime against their life or limb is going to live (behind bars) while those who suffered at the hands of the criminal aren't getting the justice they deserve.

this is implying you deserve the death of someone. No one has any right to see to the death of someone else.

Showing compassion to those who commit the crimes that earn the death penalty is not the way society should work.

It has a lot more t do with cost and possibility of killing innocent people.

Not only that, but more tax dollars to keep former death row inmates in prison for the rest of their lives?

States are considering this because it's saving money.

Sure, they are stuck in prison, but where is the justice for the victims and their loved ones?

They're behind bars. If they can't accept that as justice, they can get over themselves.

Then again, these are the same political elites that are creating legislation that is driving a major job supplier (Beretta USA) out of the state... or that's what they are threatening to do anyway.

Yeah, I honestly don't get what Beretta is all up in arms about...

Hooray for 'Progress'. Can't fix a broken system if you just add onto the problem. It's like digging a hole and expecting it to fill back up as you continue to dig.

This isn't really adding to the problem so much as taking a problem away.
password scrambled

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Sri Tschow wrote:I have not read through the entire thread, but Rereumari is ridiculous. Say there is a man standing in a room with a gun. There are fourteen dead bodies, all shot with that gun. The man's fingerprints are on the gun, and there is residue on the man to suggest that he fired the rounds. He didn't, however. There was another man who had that gun and shot and killed all fourteen people. He then tossed the gun and ran. The man who was surrounded by the bodies picks up the gun and fires at the real murderer. Then the police come in, and see the man with the gun, and the bodies on the floor. He was wrongly convicted of homicide and sent to death row. That is a very real scenario.
Just because it can happen, doesn't it will happen. Besides, there would be two sets of fingerprints on the gun as a result, meaning you would have to investigate both of those men to find out who really fired the gun. That in combination with potential witnesses seeing the man flee the scene is enough to prevent the men you're talking about from being put away.
The political compass is a lie.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Dude Ranch wrote:
Condunum wrote:And yet, the interpretation of things change with time, don't they?

Not with the 2nd Amendment it seems.

What a small number of people think doesn't matter. The interpretation of the 2nd amendment has changed quite a bit, actually.
password scrambled

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General