NATION

PASSWORD

Maryland close to eliminating death penalty

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
was it not one of the founding fathers that stated "it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer"
relevance is that if you kill someone you can't unkill them and apologise, and allow them a chance to live there life.
Yes and they also were fine with the Death Penalty even though they also included the "cruel and usual" clause in the 8th amendment, which means the death penalty was never meant to be illegal or unconstitutional.

And yet, the interpretation of things change with time, don't they?
password scrambled

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Condunum wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:Appeals over a lifetime in prison will still add up to be the same as someone who spends a year appealing on death row. It's a constant and will cost the same over time no matter what. You only add more to the cost when you start paying for his rent for decades.

Even if this is true, why should we have the death penalty?
The death penalty is only suitable for murderers who have killed multiple people and don't seem to have any problems with killing more to escape prision. Their complete disregard for life makes them a threat to the guards and other inmates in prison and a threat to the lives of more people if they escape (which is very possible). With the right to life comes the responsiblity to respect the lives of others, if you don't, then you lose that right to life because you're a danger to society.
Last edited by Rereumrari on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The political compass is a lie.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Condunum wrote:Even if this is true, why should we have the death penalty?
The death penalty is only suitable for murderers who have killed multiple people and don't seem to have any problems with killing more to escape prision. Their complete disregard for life makes them a threat to the guards and other inmates in prison and a threat to the lives of more people if they escape (which is very possible). With the right to life comes the responsiblity to respect the lives of others, if you don't, then you lose that right to life because you're a danger to society.

What about the guy who gets falsely convicted of wrongdoing and gets killed?
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:24 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Condunum wrote:Even if this is true, why should we have the death penalty?

How many people who have committed multiple murders have actually escaped from prison in the US in, say, the last ten years? You said that escape is very possible, so I assume the number is enormous, or are you just talking crap?
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:The death penalty is only suitable for murderers who have killed multiple people and don't seem to have any problems with killing more to escape prision. Their complete disregard for life makes them a threat to the guards and other inmates in prison and a threat to the lives of more people if they escape (which is very possible). With the right to life comes the responsiblity to respect the lives of others, if you don't, then you lose that right to life because you're a danger to society.

What about the guy who gets falsely convicted of wrongdoing and gets killed?
It was probably easier for that to happen a century ago when we didn't have forensics and mostly depended on witnesses and circumstantial evidence to convict, but technology these days makes it easy to prove someone's guilt beyond reasonable doubt. There is no way a serial killers could properly hide his dna, fingerprints, and other traces of evidence from multiple crimes that he participated in.
Last edited by Rereumrari on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Yay Maryland! Now if the rest of the states realized that it still isn't too late to killing the death penalty (I made a bad pun!).
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Nailed to the Perch
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nailed to the Perch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Rereumrari wrote:There is no way a serial killers could properly hide his dna, fingerprints, and other traces of evidence from multiple crimes that he participated in.

You watch a lot of CSI, don't you?
Useless Eaters wrote:This is a clear attempt to flamenco.

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:The death penalty is only suitable for murderers who have killed multiple people and don't seem to have any problems with killing more to escape prision. Their complete disregard for life makes them a threat to the guards and other inmates in prison and a threat to the lives of more people if they escape (which is very possible). With the right to life comes the responsiblity to respect the lives of others, if you don't, then you lose that right to life because you're a danger to society.

How many people who have committed multiple murders have actually escaped from prison in the US in, say, the last ten years? You said that escape is very possible, so I assume the number is enormous, or are you just talking crap?
I never said it was enormous. Even if just one murderer escaped prison in the last 10 years and killed just one person, that shows that the system failed to protect that one person when they could have by issuing the death penalty.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Nailed to the Perch wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:There is no way a serial killers could properly hide his dna, fingerprints, and other traces of evidence from multiple crimes that he participated in.

^ This. See CSI Effect.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 pm

I have no moral objection to the death penalty for certain crimes but abolishing it is better than risking innocent or mentally ill people being executed.
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Chestaan wrote:
I never said it was enormous. Even if just one murderer escaped prison in the last 10 years and killed just one person, that shows that the system failed to protect that one person when they could have by issuing the death penalty.

You specifically said that escape was very possible and I'm asking you to prove it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that the benefits of not having the death penalty, such as having zero chance of executing somebody falsely, outweigh any negatives such as a possibility of escape.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)

Getting the Guillotine

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Ainin wrote:
Nailed to the Perch wrote:

^ This. See CSI Effect.
If the only evidence against the murderer is circumstantial, then no death penalty. It's that simple.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:What about the guy who gets falsely convicted of wrongdoing and gets killed?
It was probably easier for that to happen a century ago when we didn't have forensics and mostly depended on witnesses and circumstantial evidence to convict, but technology these days makes it easy to prove someone's guilt beyond reasonable doubt. There is no way a serial killers could properly hide his dna, fingerprints, and other traces of evidence from multiple crimes that he participated in.

Tasty, but it needs more sauce.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:I never said it was enormous. Even if just one murderer escaped prison in the last 10 years and killed just one person, that shows that the system failed to protect that one person when they could have by issuing the death penalty.

You specifically said that escape was very possible and I'm asking you to prove it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that the benefits of not having the death penalty, such as having zero chance of executing somebody falsely, outweigh any negatives such as a possibility of escape.
Even if they never escape, they are still a big threat to the inmates in there who the prison is also supposed to protect. I shouldnt have to die in prison just because I was paired with a murderer.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Good for you Maryland. Good for you..
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Chestaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Chestaan wrote:
Even if they never escape, they are still a big threat to the inmates in there who the prison is also supposed to protect. I shouldnt have to die in prison just because I was paired with a murderer.

Don't they give high-risk inmates, such as murderers, their own cells? Even if they don't currently it would be an easy solution to worrying about your roomate killing you.
Council Communist

Getting the Guillotine

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:Even if they never escape, they are still a big threat to the inmates in there who the prison is also supposed to protect. I shouldnt have to die in prison just because I was paired with a murderer.

Don't they give high-risk inmates, such as murderers, their own cells? Even if they don't currently it would be an easy solution to worrying about your roomate killing you.
They do, but you still have to eat and shower with most of the prison population, which is where prison murders tend to happen.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 pm

:clap:
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Chestaan wrote:
They do, but you still have to eat and shower with most of the prison population, which is where prison murders tend to happen.

Source?

New Octopucta
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Octopucta » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Good for Maryland. This state has always been a little weird. We're a bunch of lefties economically, but a lot of people are socially conservative, and so we're behind the curve on a lot of social issues (gay marriage and now the death penalty excluded).

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Chestaan wrote:

They have this magical thing they call a high-security prison. Do you know who they are for? High risk prisoners. Do you know who isn't in them? Everyone else. So if your roommate is a murderer, you're probably one too. Or a rapist. Or something else extreme.
password scrambled

Tsa-la-gi Nation
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsa-la-gi Nation » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 pm

One step closer to a more civil society. There are a lot of things wrongs in Maryland politics, but this is not one of them. I hope it passes.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm

New Octopucta wrote:Good for Maryland. This state has always been a little weird. We're a bunch of lefties economically, but a lot of people are socially conservative, and so we're behind the curve on a lot of social issues (gay marriage and now the death penalty excluded).

Yeah, it has to do with the fact that Maryland is the deformed baby you get when you cross "southern values" with New England/Northern Central lifestyle. it results in some strange mores.
password scrambled

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:What about the guy who gets falsely convicted of wrongdoing and gets killed?

Easy.

Kill somebody in a Hazmat suit.

Or hell, you could take crime into the space-age and kill someone with a high-powered laser.
Last edited by AETEN II on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Cool shit.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General