NATION

PASSWORD

Are people generally good or evil at heart?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

are people inherently

Good
14%
evil
15%
Mostly good
47%
Mostly evil
25%

Total votes : 101

Warinemachine
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Are people generally good or evil at heart?

Postby Warinemachine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:42 pm

I mean if someone had no fear of reprisal do you think the average person would be a nice guy or go on a spree of rape looting and pillaging? I think the average person would do the latter. What about you?

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Where is the neither option?
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Based on my own morality: Mostly evil.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Both and neither.
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 pm

I don't particularly like terms as vague and open to interpretation as good and evil.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Warinemachine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Warinemachine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Licana wrote:Where is the neither option?

You believe people are fift-fifty good and evil? I mean what would you do if there was no fear of reprisal? Look at all the times that that happened. The Southern states with slavery. Rape was rampant.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Evil. From Christian and observant viewpoints.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Warinemachine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Warinemachine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:I don't particularly like terms as vague and open to interpretation as good and evil.

I mean would they loot/rape and to a lesser extent kill if they were given the chance without any sort of reprisal that might happen?

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I think that it's far too simplistic a thought process to characterise anything into "good" and "evil", let alone human beings,
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm

The idea of good and evil varies from person to person.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Warinemachine wrote:
Licana wrote:Where is the neither option?

You believe people are fift-fifty good and evil? I mean what would you do if there was no fear of reprisal? Look at all the times that that happened. The Southern states with slavery. Rape was rampant.

Source? Also, please don't pick out my home to represent the evility of humanity, as if it is the bastion of interracial rape and degeneracy.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Good and evil are defined by the whims of the present social order. They vary amongst individuals, cultures, time periods, and contexts.

If you must use these terms, I believe that most people are neutral.
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

Winland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Winland » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I used to lean towards evil, but I've since changed my mind.
In other words — and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded — their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Nadkor wrote:I think that it's far too simplistic a thought process to characterise anything into "good" and "evil", let alone human beings,

So evil is not truly evil as good is not truly good?
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Warinemachine wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:I don't particularly like terms as vague and open to interpretation as good and evil.

I mean would they loot/rape and to a lesser extent kill if they were given the chance without any sort of reprisal that might happen?

It depends on the person. It depends on the situation. There are never instances where you can predict with one hundred percent accuracy what any given person would do; to attempt to do so with entire societies is ludicrous.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Warinemachine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Warinemachine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Warinemachine wrote:You believe people are fift-fifty good and evil? I mean what would you do if there was no fear of reprisal? Look at all the times that that happened. The Southern states with slavery. Rape was rampant.

Source? Also, please don't pick out my home to represent the evility of humanity, as if it is the bastion of interracial rape and degeneracy.

its not but even thomas jefferson did it. Honestly I probaly would in that situation. Most people in my opinion would.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Volnotova wrote:Based on my own morality: Mostly evil.

To add to that, my own morals, not some universal ethical code (which I believe does not exist).
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

The United Thingys
Envoy

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Thingys » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm

I judge, through my own personal view of good and evil, that it differs from person to person, and that it depends on upbringing and genetics, but that on average, people are little balls of shit.
(\__/)
( O.o)
(> < ) This is Bunny. Please help Bunny reach global domination by copying this message and pasting it to your own signature. Thank you!

98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig
Economic Left: -9.38-9.62
Social Libertarian:-7.38-8.72

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 pm

"Good" and "evil" are subjective terms that mean virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things and should really never be used outside of fictional stories. However, for the purposes of this thread, I would say that people are generally more "good" than "evil." Society literally would not function if everyone was a self-serving asshole.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 pm

That's a little bit of a silly question...

I mean, are people that two sided to be considered good or evil...?
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Free Detroit
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Detroit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Someone needs an intro to Nietzsche... :roll: Unfortunately, I'm tired.
Political Compass:

Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.74
Non-interventionist/Interventionist: -7.42
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -7.71

*** Anarcho-Syndicalist ***

Warinemachine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Warinemachine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Warinemachine wrote:I mean would they loot/rape and to a lesser extent kill if they were given the chance without any sort of reprisal that might happen?

It depends on the person. It depends on the situation. There are never instances where you can predict with one hundred percent accuracy what any given person would do; to attempt to do so with entire societies is ludicrous.

From your knoledge if there were no sort of reprisal.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 pm

What Orwell said "people want to be good, just not too good and not all the time."

Basically, I would have to think most people can relate to me and I to most people even if it doesn't always seem that way. Sometimes I'm selfish, sometimes I lie, sometimes I do things at the expense of others and sometimes I can be vindictive and spiteful. And evil in a fictional context can be enjoyable to watch, and even in a real context is damn fascinating if nothing else.

But beyond all that, at my core, I am really disgusted by anyone who exploits or victimizes innocent people, especially the powerful harming those they have power over, and I have a strong sense of justice. And overall, the love I feel for people who I really care about far exceeds any of my other emotions for better or worse.

I'd like to think I'm evil when it's fun and good when it matters.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

People are people.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General