NATION

PASSWORD

US Schools To Become Even More Dystopian

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Potlimitomaha wrote:
Caninope wrote:Now, now.

EM, I say this with all the love that a white, American foreign relations doppelganger can.

You can't be friends with an American. You're from a 100% Muslim country. :p

Hate-filled Islamophobia. Anyone can be be friends with anyone. You have no idea what the guy is like. You might actually have a lot in common.

Actually, I do know what EnragedMaldivans is like, or as much as one can from commenting on the same forum as him.

I also find that him and I are often in line on many issues, particularly US foreign relations, which will often invoke an angry and/or exasperated post on my part talking about EM ninja'ing me and/or giving him representation of my political views in all future debates on foreign relations.

That's why I said, "white, American foreign relations doppelganger". That part was in there for a reason.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Qwanch
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Qwanch » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm

This is exactly like Fahrenheit 451! Ray Bradbury warned us this was going to happen, but nobody listened!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
teachers are a large group of americans. that means that it will never take much looking to find one or two who are ill informed on this or any topic.

But, by and large, public school teachers don't make up their curricula, they get them dictated from above, usually by their school board... which suggests other people are just as confused.

sure

or maybe the individuals quoted are panicky and prone to assuming the worst until proven otherwise.

many people are that way.
whatever

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:42 pm

I completely support this only because Americans will no longer have to read Catcher in the Rye.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Caninope wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:
On behalf of my American friends:

:roll:

Now, now.

EM, I say this with all the love that a white, American foreign relations doppelganger can.

Can I be friends with an American? I'm from a 97% Muslim country.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Qwanch wrote:This is exactly like Fahrenheit 451! Ray Bradbury warned us this was going to happen, but nobody listened!

:) Somebody either has an interesting sense of humor or needs to read more than just the OP of a long thread...
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Norstal wrote:

Fill out this 50 page application and we'll get back to you. Eventually.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Yeah, fuck litrechure, huh?

In education system, yes.
What is point of having stuff that is not real in class when you could achieve same aims while teaching something that is. If:
A gives benefits xyz.
B gives benefits wxyz.
Logical choice is B.

Well, the ones who didn't detect that this article in the OP is bullshit needs to get schooled on literature.

Seeing as that's a lot of people...

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:
Potlimitomaha wrote:
Hate-filled Islamophobia. Anyone can be be friends with anyone. You have no idea what the guy is like. You might actually have a lot in common.

Chill. Caninope's a online buddy of mine and we do share a lot in common (in fact I often post his opinions on things before he does, which kinda makes his presence on NSG redundant if you think about it :p ). He's just making light of the fact that I'm an atheist from a country with rising extremist tendencies.

And once again, it seems you've beaten me to the punch.

*insert anger/exasperation here over the ninja'ing and/or official statement regarding EM's status as a representative of my views in given areas*
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Norstal wrote:

I don't know Norstal, an American is hard to maintain. Will you clean up after him?
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Qwanch wrote:This is exactly like Fahrenheit 451! Ray Bradbury warned us this was going to happen, but nobody listened!

Have you read Fahrenheit 451?
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Norstal wrote:Can I be friends with an American? I'm from a 97% Muslim country.

Also, g&d wants a listing of your social security number and any active credit card numbers and security codes. :p
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Caninope wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Fill out this 50 page application and we'll get back to you. Eventually.

Also, g&d wants a listing of your social security number and any active credit card numbers and security codes. :p

Is he still running that scam? *makes a note on a hand-held device*
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Multiflow
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Multiflow » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Just to throw an interesting science fiction book into the mix, Earthgrip has 3 stories in it that actually indirectly address some of the issue that is part of the thread. How fiction is a useful tool in thinking.

Basic summary: Female protagonist wants to get experience to flesh out her CV (curriculum vitae) to better land a university job. She joins some interstellar traders, and solves some problems by her interest in a old form of writing called 'fiction'. First two stories are rather short, and episodic, the third story is a bit longer. The third story, part of the point is actually introducing and teaching about this form and its benefits to the remnants of an alien race that once ruled a large part of the galaxy, then mysteriously imploded.

I probably messed up the summary, but it is an interesting read.

Took me almost a half hour to remember the title, couldn't find my copy, and google search was a pain. What is really funny is I actually tracked it down by Russian website. Well, I guess it was Russian, it was all in Cyrillic, except for the book text.
Greetings and Hallucinations!

Careful wandering in mine fields, you be likely ta get ya mind blown.
"Deep magic begins here ...." - anonymous
"Do or do not, there is no try." "But, master, is not trying doing in parts?"

Just like anything in this world, it not what you say, it is how many agree with you. All the laws, traditions, languages, and customs, only work because we, explicitly or implicitly, agree to use them. Most do not examine the things they take for granted. Question everything.

Inductive Reasoning

How do you hunt Fnords? With Koans.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Maybe they should replace those 'literary classics' with interesting fiction if they want to get kids to read more. Supply them with an infinite supply of Terry Pratchett or something.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:49 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Maybe they should replace those 'literary classics' with interesting fiction if they want to get kids to read more. Supply them with an infinite supply of Terry Pratchett or something.

That'd make the classes interesting.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Maybe they should replace those 'literary classics' with interesting fiction if they want to get kids to read more. Supply them with an infinite supply of Terry Pratchett or something.

School is not supposed to be interesting! *cracks whip*

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Norstal wrote:Can I be friends with an American? I'm from a 97% Muslim country.

"The Effectiveness of Homeland Security's Immigration Procedures" by F. Arnhamia and N. Orstal.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:

I have a buddy who teaches college english, like 1A, he sometimes does a 'zombie' section. I don't know what my buddy who teaches high school uses...never thought to ask. We mostly compare beards...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:That'd make the classes interesting.

Ah yes, I completely forgot. My sincerest apologies.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Norstal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Fill out this 50 page application and we'll get back to you. Eventually.

"The Effectiveness of Homeland Security's Immigration Procedures" by F. Arnhamia and N. Orstal.

With a Special Thanks to Canipopus I. :p

To try and drive this back on topic, a paper like that would probably be read in government class, not English as the OP's article would have you think.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:That'd make the classes interesting.

In certain circumstances, that could be considered interesting...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Norstal wrote:

:)

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Caninope wrote:
Norstal wrote:"The Effectiveness of Homeland Security's Immigration Procedures" by F. Arnhamia and N. Orstal.

With a Special Thanks to Canipopus I. :p

To try and drive this back on topic, a paper like that would probably be read in government class, not English as the OP's article would have you think.

Reading current TSA directives in modern history class while reading 1984 in English class could lead to new opportunities for "interdisciplinary studies" unified by a "compare and contrast" paper on the two. ;)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:School is not supposed to be interesting! *cracks whip*

In certain circumstances, that could be considered interesting...

I knew some of you would like that.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General