NATION

PASSWORD

US weighing military options if Syria uses WMD

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Quebec and Atlantic Canada wrote:
Lowell Leber wrote:
Ironic that you protest the so called genocide committed by the First World against the Third World, yet use the flag of a fictional dictatorship as your flag. Hmmm.?

Fictional matters are irrelevant. This is the real world, with real atrocities being committed as part of a very real genocidal war against the people of the Third World.

Just questioning your political philosophy...anyways are you suggesting that the Syrians are better off under the current regime in Damascus? (And yes I know the "uber-evil Amerkia used to support Bashar Al-Assad)
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Thing is, if Assad thinks he's fucked, why won't he use WMDs?

He's already fucked; he just doesn't know it.

I imagine when it becomes clear to him that he's going to lose against these rebels, he'll break out everything in a last ditch effort to stop them. Maybe he won't. Maybe he has some human decency still left.

But my money is on him freaking out and ordering chemical weapons to be used regardless of interventions if the balance of power starts to tilt against him more clearly.

Hence placing boots on the ground to topple him, or trying to use covert ops involving special forces to topple him, carries a risk of him using WMDs. You realize that, right?
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Khodoristan wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:No, it isn't.

But Tier 1 is Tier 1 for a reason.

Operation Eagle Claw ring any bells?

Yes, but how about Operation Neptune Spear? Or the many lesser-known operations carried out by special forces units over the years?

I'm not saying Tier 1 are supermen, and any attempt at securing Assad's stockpiles carry tremendous risks to both the personnel involved and the Syrians, but if anyone can go in and secure the weapons while putting fewer people at risk and preventing any retaliation with the weapons by Assad it'd be them.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Khodoristan
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Khodoristan wrote:

Entebbe? We can play this game all day

Wow, you got me. Shit. :roll:

Operation Gothic Serpent.

Point is, sending in "Tier 1" is out of the question. Just because we have it. And unfortunately, if 1SFOD was deployed, it would be in Pakistan or Afghanistan. Not some fifth-world shithole on the presumption that they have a few hundred tons of mustard gas or sarin.
Last edited by Khodoristan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -3.88, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69 (centrist)
DERECON: 1 2 3 4 5

REST IN PEACE UNDERØATH 11/30/97-1/26/13
Pro: NATO, SEATO, ANZUS, EU, ROC, ROK, Japan, Israel, Russia, Turkey, India, gay rights, fiscal and social liberalism, Christianity, Judaism
Against: Iran, Pakistan, China, DPRK, Venezuela, racism, sexism, abortion, Islam, conservatism, military aggression

I'm a nihilistic Catholic. Yes, we do exist.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:
Quebec and Atlantic Canada wrote:Fictional matters are irrelevant. This is the real world, with real atrocities being committed as part of a very real genocidal war against the people of the Third World.

Just questioning your political philosophy...anyways are you suggesting that the Syrians are better off under the current regime in Damascus? (And yes I know the "uber-evil Amerkia used to support Bashar Al-Assad)

He's a parody, dude
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Who is creating this bogus chemical weapons agenda?

Probably the Syrian regime itself (See below)
And Assad says all he can say, which is, we don't have them and even if we did we wouldn't use them. Except maybe against Turks.

Except the Syrian has admitted that it has them and would use them against foreign intervention.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Khodoristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:
Khodoristan wrote:

Yes, but how about Operation Neptune Spear? Or the many lesser-known operations carried out by special forces units over the years?

I'm not saying Tier 1 are supermen, and any attempt at securing Assad's stockpiles carry tremendous risks to both the personnel involved and the Syrians, but if anyone can go in and secure the weapons while putting fewer people at risk and preventing any retaliation with the weapons by Assad it'd be them.

You just don't get it, don't you? We. Wouldn't. Send. In. Tier. 1.

Airstrikes, maybe. Tier 1 or any other SOF? No way in hell.

Pro: NATO, SEATO, ANZUS, EU, ROC, ROK, Japan, Israel, Russia, Turkey, India, gay rights, fiscal and social liberalism, Christianity, Judaism
Against: Iran, Pakistan, China, DPRK, Venezuela, racism, sexism, abortion, Islam, conservatism, military aggression

Quebec and Atlantic Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quebec and Atlantic Canada » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:
Quebec and Atlantic Canada wrote:Fictional matters are irrelevant. This is the real world, with real atrocities being committed as part of a very real genocidal war against the people of the Third World.

Just questioning your political philosophy...anyways are you suggesting that the Syrians are better off under the current regime in Damascus?

Indeed I am. Bashar and Hafez have always been noble fighters for the rights of Syrians against the imperialist aggressors, particularly Israel. Should Syria fall to Western imperialism, it will become another "banana republic"- a state where a Western-backed oligarchy prospers, while the people suffer and die. This is why Bashar's noble republic must be backed, at all costs.

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Khodoristan wrote:
Saruhan wrote:Entebbe? We can play this game all day

Point is, sending in "Tier 1" is out of the question. Just because we have it. And unfortunately, if 1SFOD was deployed, it would be in Pakistan or Afghanistan. Not some fifth-world shithole on the presumption that they have a few hundred tons of mustard gas or sarin.

Hence surveillance to find out where the weapons are located first and whether or not Tier 1 is needed. And if they are, I can guarantee you it won't just be the Yanks sending their forces in.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:

He's also a moron.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Shofercia wrote:Hence placing boots on the ground to topple him, or trying to use covert ops involving special forces to topple him, carries a risk of him using WMDs. You realize that, right?

So does doing absolutely nothing. You realize that, right?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Who is creating this bogus chemical weapons agenda?

Probably the Syrian regime itself (See below)
And Assad says all he can say, which is, we don't have them and even if we did we wouldn't use them. Except maybe against Turks.

Except the Syrian has admitted that it has them and would use them against foreign intervention.

But not against Syrian citizens.

So, fair warning.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Khodoristan wrote:
Saruhan wrote:Entebbe? We can play this game all day

Why the hell not? It would be a quick way of flexing NATO power, seeing as Iraq is over, the US is on;y using drones in Pakistan, and the US is pulling all troops out of Afghanistan. If they didn't do something they would look weak, something that the US can't afford right now
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Shofercia wrote:Hence placing boots on the ground to topple him, or trying to use covert ops involving special forces to topple him, carries a risk of him using WMDs. You realize that, right?

So does doing absolutely nothing. You realize that, right?

And with this in mind, I propose working on something that's acceptable to everyone. Russians actually give a shit about minority rights in Syria. You can find this shocking, you might not, but that's a fact. So they want Syrian minorities protected by a guarantee. Thus, if we can ensure that the minorities in Syria would enjoy the same protection that they did under Assad, under the new regime of Happy Smiley Supa-Pooper International National Transnational Absolutonational Council Party Government, and have that actually binding, with numerous interested countries having a say and sending in a joint taskforce, akin to the JKPF base in South Ossetia, in order to prevent another Kosovo or Tawergha, then you might get UNSC cooperation, and let Assad run to Iran, and you could have a fairly peaceful transition. But it must be Legally Binding. And actually enforced.
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Pope Joan wrote:But not against Syrian citizens.

So, fair warning.

Fair warning? Really? Good to see that you're fine with the laws of war being broken and human beings being condemned to die in incredible pain because you can't bring yourself to support the West over some tinpot dictator whose own people are rising up against him.

Try again, rebel without a cause.

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:
Just questioning your political philosophy...anyways are you suggesting that the Syrians are better off under the current regime in Damascus?

Indeed I am. Bashar and Hafez have always been noble fighters for the rights of Syrians against the imperialist aggressors, particularly Israel. Should Syria fall to Western imperialism, it will become another "banana republic"- a state where a Western-backed oligarchy prospers, while the people suffer and die. This is why Bashar's noble republic must be backed, at all costs.

You must be high...Bashar and those in power before him were in bed with the Soviet Union then Russia since way back. And I am pretty sure Syrians have suffered under Bashar as well, hence why they want to throw his ass out of power.
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Khodoristan wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:Yes, but how about Operation Neptune Spear? Or the many lesser-known operations carried out by special forces units over the years?

You just don't get it, don't you? We. Wouldn't. Send. In. Tier. 1.

Airstrikes, maybe. Tier 1 or any other SOF? No way in hell.

Airstrikes. Would. Be. Useless. Uncontrolled exploding of chemical and/or biological weapons would just lead to contamination of the area. If those are located in a civilian population center, you've just fucked thousands of civilians. Even if they're out in the middle of nowhere, you're still carrying the risk of said agents making their way to civilians. Also, as I've pointed out before, no bombing is 100% perfect and any surviving material would be recovered and either moved elsewhere or used by the Syrians, or taken by someone else and used or sold by them. You have to have boots on the ground to secure and either safely dispose of or transport the weapons.
Ankh Mauta

Olthar wrote:

He's also a moron.

The Old South
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2011

Postby The Old South » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:31 pm

So, fair warning.

Fair warning? Really? Good to see that you're fine with the laws of war being broken and human beings being condemned to die in incredible pain because you can't bring yourself to support the West over some tinpot dictator whose own people are rising up against him.

Maybe Pope Joan believes the rebels aren't really Syrians but are foreign fighters. I've heard that theory thrown around enough.
The Battle Cry of Freedom
The Confederate States of America
Head of State: President Nathan Bedford Featherston
Capital: Richmond
Demonym(s): Confederate, Southern
The Terran Confederacy
Capital: Tarsonis City, on the planet Tarsonis
Demonym(s): Confederate

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Shofercia wrote:And with this in mind, I propose working on something that's acceptable to everyone. Russians actually give a shit about minority rights in Syria. You can find this shocking, you might not, but that's a fact. So they want Syrian minorities protected by a guarantee. Thus, if we can ensure that the minorities in Syria would enjoy the same protection that they did under Assad, under the new regime of Happy Smiley Supa-Pooper International National Transnational Absolutonational Council Party Government, and have that actually binding, with numerous interested countries having a say and sending in a joint taskforce, akin to the JKPF base in South Ossetia, in order to prevent another Kosovo or Tawergha, then you might get UNSC cooperation, and let Assad run to Iran, and you could have a fairly peaceful transition. But it must be Legally Binding. And actually enforced.

I doubt Russia would agree to that. Whether or not Russia cares about minority rights in Syria, that's far from their only concern, and they've shown that they their other concerns outweigh any humanitarian concerns about Syria. Right now, all they're trying to do is maintain their failing prestige and influence in the Middle East.

Take off your rose colored glasses and take a good, long look at Russia's actions.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:

You making strawmen on "behalf" of the other side to make them look ridiculous is getting rather annoying, as you've been told repeatedly. Please stop.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 pm

The Old South wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Fair warning? Really? Good to see that you're fine with the laws of war being broken and human beings being condemned to die in incredible pain because you can't bring yourself to support the West over some tinpot dictator whose own people are rising up against him.

Maybe Pope Joan believes the rebels aren't really Syrians but are foreign fighters. I've heard that theory thrown around enough.

I've always found that accusation kinda funny, seeing as almost every state in the world was established or supported by some foreign soldiers

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:33 pm

So, fair warning.

Just stay out of the fake engineered civil war. Shame on us for starting it in the first place. Yankee, Saudis, Al Qaeda, Tel Aviv, go home.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Khodoristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Khodoristan wrote:

Why the hell not? It would be a quick way of flexing NATO power, seeing as Iraq is over, the US is on;y using drones in Pakistan, and the US is pulling all troops out of Afghanistan. If they didn't do something they would look weak, something that the US can't afford right now

You are so wrong, it's laughable.

NATO acting on Syria would give them justification to use those chemical weapons on NATO soldiers.

The US has used drones in...lets see...Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Libya, and Yemen , just to name a few. So don't start with that 'US will look weak' crock. The US could wipe out the entire Syrian Army and Air Force with drones, should it decide to.

Quebec and Atlantic Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quebec and Atlantic Canada » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:
Quebec and Atlantic Canada wrote:Indeed I am. Bashar and Hafez have always been noble fighters for the rights of Syrians against the imperialist aggressors, particularly Israel. Should Syria fall to Western imperialism, it will become another "banana republic"- a state where a Western-backed oligarchy prospers, while the people suffer and die. This is why Bashar's noble republic must be backed, at all costs.

You must be high...Bashar and those in power before him were in bed with the Soviet Union then Russia since way back.

Explain how allying with a state dedicated to defending the rights of all peoples and proletariats against imperialist aggression is a bad thing, please?

And I am pretty sure Syrians have suffered under Bashar as well, hence why they want to throw his ass out of power.

Indeed, perhaps they have. However, I think you will find those reports are grossly exaggerated by the mainstream corporate media, as part of their narrative that he is a brutal dictator who lives opulently whilst his people suffer, and that the only way for Syrians to gain "freedom" is to oust him.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Shofercia wrote:And with this in mind, I propose working on something that's acceptable to everyone. Russians actually give a shit about minority rights in Syria. You can find this shocking, you might not, but that's a fact. So they want Syrian minorities protected by a guarantee. Thus, if we can ensure that the minorities in Syria would enjoy the same protection that they did under Assad, under the new regime of Happy Smiley Supa-Pooper International National Transnational Absolutonational Council Party Government, and have that actually binding, with numerous interested countries having a say and sending in a joint taskforce, akin to the JKPF base in South Ossetia, in order to prevent another Kosovo or Tawergha, then you might get UNSC cooperation, and let Assad run to Iran, and you could have a fairly peaceful transition. But it must be Legally Binding. And actually enforced.

I doubt Russia would agree to that. Whether or not Russia cares about minority rights in Syria, that's far from their only concern, and they've shown that they their other concerns outweigh any humanitarian concerns about Syria. Right now, all they're trying to do is maintain their failing prestige and influence in the Middle East.

Take off your rose colored glasses and take a good, long look at Russia's actions.

Do tell. Which Russian actions speak towards Middle Eastern Imperialism? So far, they've vetoed a very one-sided approach to Syria, an approach that didn't bring any wonders to Libya.

Additionally, I said you might. It's certainly worth a shot, before risking WMDs being used.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Just stay out of the fake engineered civil war. Shame on us for starting it in the first place. Yankee, Saudis, Al Qaeda, Tel Aviv, go home.

This is rich. You're should write Protocols of the Elders of the West with a conspiracy running this deep.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General