NATION

PASSWORD

US weighing military options if Syria uses WMD

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sardine World
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardine World » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Saint-Thor wrote:5$ the US will use a false flag tactic to get involve.

Hell, if Bush was able to convince an entire nation about Iraq, Obama will have no problem beating the war drums for Syria.

It will be touted as a great example of bi-partisanship because the Republicans are even more eager to go in.

Im a musty old Consevative, and I am opposed to intervening in Syria.
Economic Left/Right: 6.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05
Updated 3/22/15

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:
Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:I would agree with it, but no full on invasion. Targeting bombings, unmanned aerial assaults, etc. yes, putting boots on the ground? No.

That may be the only option to secure the stockpiles once they are found. Destroying them in an uncontrolled manner would just lead to contamination of the surrounding area, which would be horrible even if they weren't located inside a populated area (which they would be), and if any survive they could easily be salvaged and transported elsewhere for use by Assad or his allies.

Launching an attack on the stockpiles will cause Assad to use those stockpiles.

Greater New York wrote:I don't care what side people support, using WMDs goes to far, and if anyone does, they lose any remaining legitimacy they have left in my eyes.

Thank you Captain Obvious!

Choronzon wrote:If we're going to invade Syria can we quit pussyfooting around and just come out and say we're invading Syria?

Assad said that if US hits Syria, he'll use WMDs. And unlike Saddam, he has WMDs.

Saint-Thor wrote:One might think the US get the lesson from Moqtada al-Sadr's milicia in Iraq. The FSA is pretty much the same thing, you don't know who you're dealing with. A brutal secular regime is still better than an islamist brutal regime.

But, but, but, some rebels said that they support democracy, which means that the West must aid them at any costs, otherwise we might not aid these poor, poor snake oil salesmen, and then what? You won't have ethnic cleansing! Are you happy?! /sarcasm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Nah. The Russians are more than capable of preventing the US from getting official UN permission.

We'll still be going in with the world at our back. If Syria uses chemical weapons and Russia opposes intervention, what little international influence they have left will be dead, mark my words.

Russia said that they won't back Syria if there's clear proof, i.e. real NASA satellite photos, that Syria used WMDs.

The Old South wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Syria to US: "We won't use chemical weps, unless you intervene!"
US to Syria: "If you use chemical weps, we'll intervene!"

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Indeed.

Shofercia wrote:Syria to US: "We won't use chemical weps, unless you intervene!"
US to Syria: "If you use chemical weps, we'll intervene!"

Then Assad's regime has nothing to worry about, hmm?

The problem is two-fold. First, will US try covert ops, i.e. sending in Special Forces a la Delta Force. Second, how will Syria define US Intervention. Would Delta Force be enough?
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Shofercia wrote:The problem is two-fold. First, will US try covert ops, i.e. sending in Special Forces a la Delta Force. Second, how will Syria define US Intervention. Would Delta Force be enough?

The trick is that how would they know Delta Force did it in the first place.

Khodoristan
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Silician wrote:We can't afford to go to war. It'll mess up our economy even more than now.

Pfft, please. Go back to economics class.
Economic Left/Right: -3.88, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69 (centrist)
DERECON: 1 2 3 4 5

REST IN PEACE UNDERØATH 11/30/97-1/26/13
Pro: NATO, SEATO, ANZUS, EU, ROC, ROK, Japan, Israel, Russia, Turkey, India, gay rights, fiscal and social liberalism, Christianity, Judaism
Against: Iran, Pakistan, China, DPRK, Venezuela, racism, sexism, abortion, Islam, conservatism, military aggression

I'm a nihilistic Catholic. Yes, we do exist.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Why? Nobody in the US has any desire to get involved in another Mideast clusterfuck.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Shofercia wrote:Russia said that they won't back Syria if there's clear proof, i.e. real NASA satellite photos, that Syria used WMDs.

We'll see if they keep to that.
The problem is two-fold. First, will US try covert ops, i.e. sending in Special Forces a la Delta Force. Second, how will Syria define US Intervention. Would Delta Force be enough?

The answer is: It's irrelevant, because you can't prove a thing! :p

Not that it particularly matters. "But they interfered with our business!" is not a justification for "We'll murder huge swathes of people with illegal weapons!", so I can't imagine Assad's regime lasting long in either case.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Khodoristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:

Why? Nobody in the US has any desire to get involved in another Mideast clusterfuck.

Tbh, I can see the French or British taking more active roles in military intervention, kinda how they did with Libya.

Pro: NATO, SEATO, ANZUS, EU, ROC, ROK, Japan, Israel, Russia, Turkey, India, gay rights, fiscal and social liberalism, Christianity, Judaism
Against: Iran, Pakistan, China, DPRK, Venezuela, racism, sexism, abortion, Islam, conservatism, military aggression

The Old South
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2011

Postby The Old South » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Shofercia wrote:The problem is two-fold. First, will US try covert ops, i.e. sending in Special Forces a la Delta Force. Second, how will Syria define US Intervention. Would Delta Force be enough?

Probably an educated guess that it's either Delta Force or Mossad.
The Battle Cry of Freedom
The Confederate States of America
Head of State: President Nathan Bedford Featherston
Capital: Richmond
Demonym(s): Confederate, Southern
The Terran Confederacy
Capital: Tarsonis City, on the planet Tarsonis
Demonym(s): Confederate

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

The rebels suddenly start winning victories using tactics that they've never used before, tactics which were previously used by the Delta Force in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.

That's why in Libya, NATO did the smart thing and trucked in the Berbers. However, NATO did send in a detachment to catch Ghadaffi a bit later, and then that tape became rather infamous, so...
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

This sounds just like the garbage we were fed prior to our (useless) invasion of Iraq.

Fool me twice, shame on me.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

And Navy SEALs. And JTF2. And SAS. And NZSAS. And GROM. And...

Shall I continue?
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Khodoristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Shofercia wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:The trick is that how would they know Delta Force did it in the first place.

The rebels suddenly start winning victories using tactics that they've never used before, tactics which were previously used by the Delta Force in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.

Bullshit. The Jordanians or Turks start arming them and equipping them.

Quebec and Atlantic Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quebec and Atlantic Canada » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Srboslavija wrote:

Hell, if Bush was able to convince an entire nation about Iraq, Obama will have no problem beating the war drums for Syria.

It will be touted as a great example of bi-partisanship because the Republicans are even more eager to go in.

Indeed. The United $nakes, as the principal leader of the kkkapitalist First World, is the primary exploiter and warmonger in the world. All of its politicians take orders from corporations. Hence, the Republican and Democratic party are no different, as they are both capitalist puppets who seek to further the capitalists' agenda of war, death, and destruction.

Khodoristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:The trick is that how would they know Delta Force did it in the first place.

Shall I continue?

Medal of Honor: Warfighter isn't real life.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Shall I continue?

It's the Israelis. (first guess)

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Khodoristan wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:And Navy SEALs. And JTF2. And SAS. And NZSAS. And GROM. And...

Shall I continue?

No, it isn't.

But Tier 1 is Tier 1 for a reason.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Pope Joan wrote:This sounds just like the garbage we were fed prior to our (useless) invasion of Iraq.

"If chemical weapons are used, we'll intervene"?

That doesn't sound like Iraq, actually. At all.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Quebec and Atlantic Canada wrote:
Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:I would agree with it, but no full on invasion. Targeting bombings, unmanned aerial assaults, etc. yes, putting boots on the ground? No.

There is no difference between bombings and invasions. They are both ways in which the First World continues its genocidal war against the Third World, and that is all that matters.

Ironic that you protest the so called genocide committed by the First World against the Third World, yet use the flag of a fictional dictatorship as your flag. Hmmm.?
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Khodoristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Khodoristan wrote:

No, it isn't.

Operation Eagle Claw ring any bells?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Shofercia wrote:Russia said that they won't back Syria if there's clear proof, i.e. real NASA satellite photos, that Syria used WMDs.

We'll see if they keep to that.

The answer is: It's irrelevant, because you can't prove a thing! :p

Not that it particularly matters. "But they interfered with our business!" is not a justification for "We'll murder huge swathes of people with illegal weapons!", so I can't imagine Assad's regime lasting long in either case.

Thing is, if Assad thinks he's fucked, why won't he use WMDs?

Shall I continue?

You knew what I meant. SEALs, Delta, SAS, etc.

Khodoristan wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Bullshit. The Jordanians or Turks start arming them and equipping them.

That's been going on for the past several months.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Khodoristan wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:No, it isn't.

Operation Eagle Claw ring any bells?

Entebbe? We can play this game all day
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Quebec and Atlantic Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quebec and Atlantic Canada » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:
Quebec and Atlantic Canada wrote:There is no difference between bombings and invasions. They are both ways in which the First World continues its genocidal war against the Third World, and that is all that matters.

Ironic that you protest the so called genocide committed by the First World against the Third World, yet use the flag of a fictional dictatorship as your flag. Hmmm.?

Fictional matters are irrelevant. This is the real world, with real atrocities being committed as part of a very real genocidal war against the people of the Third World.

Tunasai
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 06, 2011

Postby Tunasai » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 pm

If Syria starts using WMDs then its time to crush Assad

I would be proud of Obama if he did that, and I'm a Conservative Republican
Last edited by Tunasai on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God invented beer so the Irish wouldn't rule the world...

Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.87

Pro: America, Patriotism, Social Conservatism, Christianity, Liberty, Neoliberalism

Anti: Gay Marriage, Homophobia (Yes I can be both), Discrimination, Communism, Liberalism, Socialism, the entire Democratic Party, Donald Trump

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Pope Joan wrote:This sounds just like the garbage we were fed prior to our (useless) invasion of Iraq.

"If chemical weapons are used, we'll intervene"?

That doesn't sound like Iraq, actually. At all.

Who is creating this bogus chemical weapons agenda?

And Assad says all he can say, which is, we don't have them and even if we did we wouldn't use them. Except maybe against Turks.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Shofercia wrote:Thing is, if Assad thinks he's fucked, why won't he use WMDs?

He's already fucked; he just doesn't know it.

I imagine when it becomes clear to him that he's going to lose against these rebels, he'll break out everything in a last ditch effort to stop them. Maybe he won't. Maybe he has some human decency still left.

But my money is on him freaking out and ordering chemical weapons to be used regardless of interventions if the balance of power starts to tilt against him more clearly.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General