NATION

PASSWORD

Civic Crowdfunding

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Civic Crowdfunding

Postby Xerographica » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:59 pm

What are your thoughts on civic crowdfunding? For those not familiar with the concept...it's basically the Kickstarter model applied to public projects.

Here are three public projects that have already been successfully funded...

1. Citizinvestor: Connecting blind children with tech
2. Neighbor.ly: Painting the town green
3. Spacehive: After the riots - Happiness in Tottenham

Personally I think it's a really great concept. If you're interested in reading my in-depth analysis then here's what I've written on the subject...

1. Civic Crowdfunding
2. An Economic Critique of Peer Progressivism
3. Civic Crowdfunding - Encouraging Participation
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:13 pm

I say lets do it.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 pm

I've never seen an article with such a high reference to content ratio. Maybe let someone else write it next time?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:I've never seen an article with such a high reference to content ratio. Maybe let someone else write it next time?

This. And I don't really see the economics in your economic analysis.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:I've never seen an article with such a high reference to content ratio. Maybe let someone else write it next time?

Why can't someone else write it this time?
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Xerographica wrote:

Why can't someone else write it this time?

Because you already posted a link to it as a reference and acted as if it would be useful when it's not?

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:11 am

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:This. And I don't really see the economics in your economic analysis.

Which economic concepts were you expecting to see?

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:16 am

Xerographica wrote:
The Joseon Dynasty wrote:This. And I don't really see the economics in your economic analysis.

Which economic concepts were you expecting to see?

Allocative efficiency, Pareto efficiency, productive efficiency, etc. - considering that the bulk of your argument is to show that consumer-directed spending is more efficient than government-directed spending.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Why can't someone else write it this time?

Because you already posted a link to it as a reference and acted as if it would be useful when it's not?

Why would I share it if I did not think it was useful enough? If you want to make it more useful...then be my guest. I mean...that's pretty much the whole point of Wikipedia.

Raeyh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:30 pm

It's a good way for the government to get extra money.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:05 pm

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:Allocative efficiency, Pareto efficiency, productive efficiency, etc. - considering that the bulk of your argument is to show that consumer-directed spending is more efficient than government-directed spending.

This would be true if the point of that post was to "sell" pragmatarianism to Steven Johnson. My goal for that post was simply to highlight and explain the economic concepts that he was missing from his "peer progressivism".

Kickstarter and Wikipedia work because you can choose exactly how much of your own limited resources (money/time) you contribute to the "stubs" that you believe to be worth your sacrifice. Participatory budgeting does not work because you're using words, rather than sacrifice, to convey your priorities. Democracy vouchers do not work because they alter the distribution that was determined by the crowd (consumers).

I explained this in much more detail in my post. So if there's something specific that you disagree with then it might help if you just copy and pasted it into your reply.

Regarding allocative efficiency and pragmatarianism. Allocative efficiency is based on the opportunity cost concept. The time you spend improving one Wikipedia entry cannot also be spent improving another Wikipedia entry. The money you spend on one Kickstarter project cannot also be spent on another Kickstarter project. This forces you to prioritize how you spend your time/money. Allocative efficiency is the consequence of each and every single one of us prioritizing how we spend our time/money.

If we want public funds to be efficiently distributed...then we simply allow taxpayers to directly allocate their taxes. Allowing each and every taxpayer to consider the opportunity costs of their spending decisions will guide us to the balance of public goods that will maximize the benefit to society as a whole.

Miss Defied
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Xerographica wrote:What are your thoughts on civic crowdfunding? For those not familiar with the concept...it's basically the Kickstarter model applied to public projects.

Here are three public projects that have already been successfully funded...

1. Citizinvestor: Connecting blind children with tech
2. Neighbor.ly: Painting the town green
3. Spacehive: After the riots - Happiness in Tottenham

Personally I think it's a really great concept. If you're interested in reading my in-depth analysis then here's what I've written on the subject...

1. Civic Crowdfunding
2. An Economic Critique of Peer Progressivism
3. Civic Crowdfunding - Encouraging Participation

I think it is great. I also think it will never replace government funding of huge infrastructure projects.

Why do your posts always link to your personal blog that runs ads? And thus you clearly gain financially from driving traffic to it? I think it's pretty shitty that you do that. If you realy care about expressing your thoughts, you can use the quote feature and just post your opinions, rather than just give links to your monetized blog.
"You know you're like the A-bomb. Everybody's laughing, having a good time. Then you show up -BOOM- everything's dead." - Master Shake

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Miss Defied wrote:I think it is great. I also think it will never replace government funding of huge infrastructure projects.

So it has the potential to replace government funding of moderately sized infrastructure projects?

Miss Defied wrote:Why do your posts always link to your personal blog that runs ads?

Because that's where I post relevant content.

Miss Defied wrote:And thus you clearly gain financially from driving traffic to it? I think it's pretty shitty that you do that.

How much money per month would you guess that I gain from having that ad on my blog? Surely the amount has to make a difference right? Would you really think it was shitty of me if I only made $.10 per month from ads?

Honestly I have no idea how much money I've made from that ad. But I'd really love to know how much money you think I make from it.

Miss Defied wrote:If you realy care about expressing your thoughts, you can use the quote feature and just post your opinions, rather than just give links to your monetized blog.

You doubt that I really care about expressing my thoughts? I only post my thoughts on my blog because I desire to financially gain from them? You doubt my sincerity? I wonder if that's why the Great Pumpkin never visits my pumpkin patch.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Because you already posted a link to it as a reference and acted as if it would be useful when it's not?

Why would I share it if I did not think it was useful enough?

Not what I said. I said you used it despite it lacking utility; nothing at all about your thoughts on the matter.
If you want to make it more useful...then be my guest. I mean...that's pretty much the whole point of Wikipedia.

No, I'm not interested in assisting your vanity article, I'm just trying to get you to not inflict such a thing on us again until it is better made.

Xenohumanity wrote:

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Xerographica wrote:
The Joseon Dynasty wrote:Allocative efficiency, Pareto efficiency, productive efficiency, etc. - considering that the bulk of your argument is to show that consumer-directed spending is more efficient than government-directed spending.

This would be true if the point of that post was to "sell" pragmatarianism to Steven Johnson. My goal for that post was simply to highlight and explain the economic concepts that he was missing from his "peer progressivism".

Kickstarter and Wikipedia work because you can choose exactly how much of your own limited resources (money/time) you contribute to the "stubs" that you believe to be worth your sacrifice. Participatory budgeting does not work because you're using words, rather than sacrifice, to convey your priorities. Democracy vouchers do not work because they alter the distribution that was determined by the crowd (consumers).

I explained this in much more detail in my post. So if there's something specific that you disagree with then it might help if you just copy and pasted it into your reply.

Regarding allocative efficiency and pragmatarianism. Allocative efficiency is based on the opportunity cost concept. The time you spend improving one Wikipedia entry cannot also be spent improving another Wikipedia entry. The money you spend on one Kickstarter project cannot also be spent on another Kickstarter project. This forces you to prioritize how you spend your time/money. Allocative efficiency is the consequence of each and every single one of us prioritizing how we spend our time/money.

If we want public funds to be efficiently distributed...then we simply allow taxpayers to directly allocate their taxes. Allowing each and every taxpayer to consider the opportunity costs of their spending decisions will guide us to the balance of public goods that will maximize the benefit to society as a whole.

Sorry. You need to make your writing clearer, though. I found it a remarkable slog.

Although I do like the content of this post. Allows me to contextualise the argument within my rigid economic brain. So, as I understand it, the argument is that taxation will be transformed into a form of consumption, essentially, where all consumers will have the choice to maximise their "consumption decisions". Although, in this case, the "consumption decisions" will be aggregated as public spending, rather than individual spending, but the allocative efficiency of individual consumption will remain.

I suppose the logic is there, I know that your post was splattered with references, but do you have any economic analyses?

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:Not what I said. I said you used it despite it lacking utility; nothing at all about your thoughts on the matter.

How would it have "utility"? Things can't have "utility". Utility is what you derive from things. And we all have unique utility functions...which is why values are subjective.

Wikkiwallana wrote:No, I'm not interested in assisting your vanity article, I'm just trying to get you to not inflict such a thing on us again until it is better made.

How is it my vanity article? How will it be better made if nobody knows of its existence?

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 pm

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:Sorry. You need to make your writing clearer, though. I found it a remarkable slog.

I suck at writing.

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:Although I do like the content of this post. Allows me to contextualise the argument within my rigid economic brain. So, as I understand it, the argument is that taxation will be transformed into a form of consumption, essentially, where all consumers will have the choice to maximise their "consumption decisions". Although, in this case, the "consumption decisions" will be aggregated as public spending, rather than individual spending, but the allocative efficiency of individual consumption will remain.

Taxpayers would have the opportunity to try and maximize the utility that they derive from their tax spending decisions. Directly allocating their taxes would be optional though...so they could still just give their taxes to congress.

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:I suppose the logic is there, I know that your post was splattered with references, but do you have any economic analyses?

What kind of economic analysis did you have in mind? Here's the best summary of the "problem"...

It is, of course, not desirable that anything should be done by funds derived from compulsory taxation, which is already sufficiently well done by individual liberality. - J.S. Mill

How many people does it take to determine whether something is being sufficiently well done by individual liberty? There's absolutely no economic basis for allowing people to "vote" to indicate whether something is being sufficiently done. Neither is there any economic basis for having representatives to decide for millions and millions of people. Therefore, in order to come up with the most accurate answer...we should just rely on the demonstrated preferences of taxpayers.

For example, if education is being sufficiently well done by individual liberty...then taxpayers would not derive any utility from giving their hard-earned taxes to public education. If taxpayers did give taxes to public education...then the amount of money that public education received would reflect how insufficiently education was being supplied by the private sector.

Therefore...the debate between Republicans and Democrats would become a moot point.

Moving Forward Inc
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Moving Forward Inc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Large-scale political and social masturbation, good at making sheeple think relevant change is being made when really it's nothing worth giving a shit about.
This test is biased and has stupid questions, but anyways:
Old (from when my nation was founded):
Economic Right: 6.50
Social Libertarian:-3.67
New (11 December 2012):
Economic Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian: -5.23
Be aware that I am only so near to the centre of the economic axe because this test associates being right-wing with crony capitalism, trickle down, and letting business be held to lower standards than individuals under law.

"Democracy is the road to socialism"
- Karl Marx

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Oh, I thought this was where the GOP paid for ringers to "protest" elections in Miami, 2000.

Funding the crowd.

Something similar to this idea is "giving circles". Working together, many little donors can look and act like one BIG donor.

http://www.givingcircles.org/
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Not what I said. I said you used it despite it lacking utility; nothing at all about your thoughts on the matter.

How would it have "utility"? Things can't have "utility". Utility is what you derive from things. And we all have unique utility functions...which is why values are subjective.

By being informative and objective.

Wikkiwallana wrote:No, I'm not interested in assisting your vanity article, I'm just trying to get you to not inflict such a thing on us again until it is better made.

How is it my vanity article? How will it be better made if nobody knows of its existence?

You created it, for a concept you care deeply about, without any apparent outside help or discussion, and rather than trying to start a talk page about it on Wikipedia and getting other editors to contribute, or spending some time fleshing it out on your own, you let it sit a few days and then posted it on NSG as a "resource". You didn't go to an economics forum and ask for contributions, you didn't link to it on your blog and ask readers to help you with it, you didn't even ask for help here, but instead pasted the link as an explanation of a question you were asking. It doesn't explain anything, beyond the barest introductory sentence and some quotes by apparently random people, none of which are even cited. It's totally useless, and yet you didn't even suggest that others might help with it until I called you on how useless it was. Your OP was nearly as bad, since it contained little information on it's own, just a bunch of links that you couldn't even be bothered to quote pertinent sections from.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:38 am

Moving Forward Inc wrote:Large-scale political and social masturbation, good at making sheeple think relevant change is being made when really it's nothing worth giving a shit about.

Would giving taxpayers the option to directly allocate their taxes count as relevant change?

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:You created it, for a concept you care deeply about, without any apparent outside help or discussion, and rather than trying to start a talk page about it on Wikipedia and getting other editors to contribute, or spending some time fleshing it out on your own, you let it sit a few days and then posted it on NSG as a "resource". You didn't go to an economics forum and ask for contributions, you didn't link to it on your blog and ask readers to help you with it, you didn't even ask for help here, but instead pasted the link as an explanation of a question you were asking. It doesn't explain anything, beyond the barest introductory sentence and some quotes by apparently random people, none of which are even cited. It's totally useless, and yet you didn't even suggest that others might help with it until I called you on how useless it was. Your OP was nearly as bad, since it contained little information on it's own, just a bunch of links that you couldn't even be bothered to quote pertinent sections from.

In my original post I included seven links. One to Wikipedia, three to civic crowdfunding websites...and three to my blog entries which contain quite a bit of information on the topic. Rather than discuss all the information that can be found on all those other pages...you want to complain that I'm doing a disservice to people because the Wikipedia entry does not have enough information.

And then you want to complain that I did not inform people that they could improve the Wikipedia page that I linked to. Errr...yeah...I think that most people already understand that anybody can edit Wikipedia. Which is why it's so funny that you would prefer to complain about a Wikipedia page rather than doing something about it.

Based on the fact that, thus far, nobody here has asked for clarification on the civic crowdfunding concept...I think it's well proven that I've shared enough information in my original post to help the average person grasp the concept.

Are you struggling with the civic crowdfunding concept? Perhaps? If so...let me know which part you're having a difficult time understanding.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General