NATION

PASSWORD

John Holbo's Critique of Libertarianism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

John Holbo's Critique of Libertarianism

Postby Xerographica » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Here's John Holbo's critique of libertarianism. I was looking forward to reading it all week...and to be honest...I'm a bit disappointed. On the one hand I'm happy he took the Bleeding Heart Libertarians (BHLs) up on their offer...but on the other hand I was hoping his post would be more constructive and conducive to positive dialogue.

The reason I had these great expectations is because a previous discussion that I had with John Holbo was one of the most positive exchanges that I've had with a liberal. Here's our discussion on whether people should be allowed to sell their votes and our discussion on whether taxpayers should be allowed to directly allocate their taxes.

His critique of libertarianism is definitely worth reading though...well...hmmm...errr...I suppose I should let you folks decide that for yourselves.

Over on the Crooked Timber website you can read what liberals have written about his post. Here's my favorite comment...

While I agree with the cheering here, it was a great minefield over there. I kinda agree with the commenter there that says something about guests pooping on our doorstep. So… I am looking forward to the upcoming Libertarian guests here on CrookedTimber. - seth

I really doubt that the Crooked Timber liberals would invite a libertarian to write a guest post...but I'd really love to be proved wrong. Here's the post that seth was referring to...My Response to Holbo's Post...and here's a conciliatory response from a libertarian...Further to Holbo.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:26 pm

i like his approach, honestly. just laying it all out there. its not like the inherent contradictions in libert 'freedom' aren't well-known or anything.

Return to General