NATION

PASSWORD

Less and Less religious

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vortropolis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortropolis » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:31 am

Typhlochactas wrote:
The Ottoman Imperial Union wrote:I, honestly, am pretty happy.

In my opinion, having a religion is like having a gun; it's ok to have one, and it's ok to be proud of it. But don't take it out in public and wave it about, and please don't shove it down children's throats.

We shouldn't always tolerate people's religions.

Not necessarily as long as we all get along and coexist we'll be fine
RP information: I don't use NS tracker unless asked too, I usually go with 5% of the population.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am

Vortropolis wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

There's people with religious views that make co-existence with other religions (or people) impossible, so we shouldn't tolerate them.
Last edited by Typhlochactas on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Catan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am

Divair wrote:
Catan wrote:
I do not actively pursue any specific god, no.

Then you are an atheist.

Because you do not claim to be sure as to whether or not a god exists, you are agnostic.

And thus, welcome to this club:
Agnostic atheism.

As I do not make the claim that god does not exist, I cannot be an atheist. I agree with you that I am not a theist, but I do not lean one way or the other on the existence of god, because such a thing is unknowable.

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am

I'm plenty happy with my good ole fashioned faith

in R'hllor, the Lord of Light!

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 am

Catan wrote:
Divair wrote:Then you are an atheist.

Because you do not claim to be sure as to whether or not a god exists, you are agnostic.

And thus, welcome to this club:
Agnostic atheism.

As I do not make the claim that god does not exist, I cannot be an atheist. I agree with you that I am not a theist, but I do not lean one way or the other on the existence of god, because such a thing is unknowable.

Agnostic atheists do not make a claim that gods do not exist. That is gnostic atheism.

Agnostic atheism simply says "we do not believe in any gods".

Vortropolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortropolis » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 am

Typhlochactas wrote:
Vortropolis wrote:

There's people with religious views that make co-existence with other religions (or people) impossible, so we shouldn't tolerate them.

Ya there are idiots that try to force their religion on other people and hate them just because of their religious views.
RP information: I don't use NS tracker unless asked too, I usually go with 5% of the population.

Alassus
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alassus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:34 am

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:34 am

Typhlochactas wrote:

In my opinion, having a religion is like having a gun; it's ok to have one, and it's ok to be proud of it. But don't take it out in public and wave it about, and please don't shove it down children's throats.

We should always tolerate religions. We shouldn't always tolerate the actions of their followers.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:34 am

I've always been quite apathetic. I guess I assumed it was true until I realised it probably wasn't.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:35 am

Divair wrote:
Catan wrote: As an agnostic

Agnostic atheist or agnostic theist?

Just 1 comment into the thread and there's already a semi-thread-jack about Agnosticism? NSG is getting more cynical by the week....
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

We should always tolerate religions. We shouldn't always tolerate the actions of their followers.

If somebody has a worldview that lets them kill other people, then the best way to stop those actions is to get rid of the belief that allows it. If you just stop the action and not the thought behind it, then you're never going to win.

Catan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am

Alassus wrote:(Image)

I like this!

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am

Typhlochactas wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

If somebody has a worldview that lets them kill other people, then the best way to stop those actions is to get rid of the belief that allows it. If you just stop the action and not the thought behind it, then you're never going to win.

Meh. If you like Orwellian stuff like that, I can't exactly stop you.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Vortropolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortropolis » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am

Alassus wrote:(Image)

Little bit too much don't you think?

Friendly Monsters
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Friendly Monsters » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:38 am

I'm just laughing at this.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:38 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

Why? Why do have to tolerate religions? Why is tolerance such a value?
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Catan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:38 am

Typhlochactas wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Could you give me an example of a religion like that, where all adherents want to kill someone?

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:38 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

I didn't suggest we should punish the thought. Those are your words, not mine.
Last edited by Typhlochactas on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Armed Republic of Carcenia
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Carcenia » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am

I dont understand whats so wrong with religion. Even if it isnt true it gives people a moral compass and makes them want to do the right thing. True some people have misused it over time,but still whats so wrong with it?
Defcon 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

I scored top 1 percent for Conservative extremisim on the Political Test! Woot!

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am

Blazedtown wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Because I believe in the good old "Live and let live (Terms & Conditions apply)" mantra. I'm not going to pretend that it's inherently good, I just believe it to be.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am

Catan wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

Could you give me an example of a religion like that, where all adherents want to kill someone?

Khornate worship.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Vortropolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortropolis » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am

Blazedtown wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

So we can all get along

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:40 am

Typhlochactas wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

I didn't suggest we should punish the thought. Those are your words, not mine.

"If you just stop the action and not the thought behind it, then you're never going to win."

Pray tell how we "stop thoughts".

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:40 am

Ifreann wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:I'm simply fascinated by this statement. Really, I am.

There's a box on my desk. (Take that as given.) Is there any paper in the box? It's a simple yes or no question. Some people may have a bias one way or the other -- "Well, it's on a desk, so I think it's reasonable for it to contain papers." -- but many people will say "I have absolutely no clue.". That, right there, is "pure" agnosticism: the state of lack of knowledge.

I don't see what's so hard about this concept: there are plenty of things I have no clue about -- what's the biggest city in Malawi, who won the 1958 World Series, who was King of England in 1481 -- and I'll happily say so. I feel the same way about deities: none, one, many... who knows? The first three questions I can find answers to; the latter I don't think we know the answer to, and I'm not convinced we currently can know the answer to.

"Is there any paper in the box" isn't the same as "Do you believe there is any paper in the box?".

Only as a linguistic quibble. If it makes you happy, I'll phrase my statement as, "I believe the same way about deities: none, one, many... who knows?". I'm very certain of my lack of knowledge; I'm a scientist. :)

For example, the mathematician David Hilbert once proposed a list of math questions that he didn't know the answer to. Some have been answered. Some are still open questions. If asked whether I believe any one of those is true or false, I'll say (I believe) I have no clue. I don't even understand some of them, so how could I know if they're true or false? ;) Those are just math problems, if I don't whether even something as simple is that is true or false, how could I know if there are supernatural beings? (That's a rhetorical question; don't answer it.)

Look, when I wonder about the nature of the divine, I read Rumi's poetry and Zen koans. Perhaps they'll enlighten me one day, but nothing so far.

To drag this discussion kicking and screaming back to the actual topic, I tend to think the reduction of superstition is good. Theists have spent a lot of time making trouble for other people. To mash up Jonathan Swift and Tom Lehrer, "Oh, the big-endians hate the little-endians, and the little-endians hate the big-endians, and everbody hates the Jews. But during National Brotherhood Week..." ;)
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:40 am

Catan wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

The worldview of Osama Bin Laden.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General