NATION

PASSWORD

The Pagan Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What (Pagan) Religion do you belong to?

Druidry or Celtic Reconstructionism
4%
Wicca
25%
Ásatrú/Heathenism/Odinism
29%
Hellenic Neopaganism
13%
Religio Romana
No votes
Semitic Neopaganism
No votes
Kemetism
No votes
Other Reconstructionism
No votes
Other (Pagan)
29%

Total votes : 24

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 am

Hello, I am a Norse Pagan. I actually refuse to put myself into a category and I do not belong to any national organization. Mainly because 1.) I like to worship the gods in my own way, and 2.) Pagan religion was a tribal religion, everything from the name of the gods to the method of worship varied differently from tribe to tribe. Which is why I never understood the whole unification under a national organization thing, or all the groups worshiping the gods in the same way.

If you truly want to worship the same way as your ancestors, then meditate, talk to the gods, talk to the wights, and worship them in your own way.

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Hello, I am a Norse Pagan. I actually refuse to put myself into a category and I do not belong to any national organization. Mainly because 1.) I like to worship the gods in my own way, and 2.) Pagan religion was a tribal religion, everything from the name of the gods to the method of worship varied differently from tribe to tribe. Which is why I never understood the whole unification under a national organization thing, or all the groups worshiping the gods in the same way.

If you truly want to worship the same way as your ancestors, then meditate, talk to the gods, talk to the wights, and worship them in your own way.

Hey Wil, I was wondering when you would show up ;)

Just curious, were you raised Pagan or did you convert as an adult? What led you to the beliefs you currently have?
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Korintar wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:Hello, I am a Norse Pagan. I actually refuse to put myself into a category and I do not belong to any national organization. Mainly because 1.) I like to worship the gods in my own way, and 2.) Pagan religion was a tribal religion, everything from the name of the gods to the method of worship varied differently from tribe to tribe. Which is why I never understood the whole unification under a national organization thing, or all the groups worshiping the gods in the same way.

Hey Wil, I was wondering when you would show up ;)

Just curious, were you raised Pagan or did you convert as an adult? What led you to the beliefs you currently have?

I converted as an adult, and a lot of research and soul searching.

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 pm

I suppose being an atheist makes me "pagan" by default, at least in the eyes of fundie Christians.
Иф ю кан рид дис, ю ар рили борд ор ю ар Россияне.

Imperium Nova Roma
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Nova Roma » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Let's just say as an Italian-American Roman Catholic, who was raised to look down upon other religions, I find Paganism ridiculous. It should have been stopped permanently at the end of the middle ages. I have no qualms with Pagans, just their beliefs. As I'm sure others have with Roman Catholicism.

I still like it more then Islam, however.
Roman Catholic Italian American, all four grandparents emigrated from Italy. Honorably Discharged Marine, one tour in Afghanistan and one in Iraq. Motorcycle Enthusiast, Neo Conservative. -True Racist, Ask me anything-

'Cause we are the Ku Klux Klan. We're rollin' through your hood like the Taliban

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Imperium Nova Roma wrote:I find Paganism ridiculous.

He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.

Imperium Nova Roma
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Nova Roma » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:28 pm

CVT Temp wrote:
Imperium Nova Roma wrote:I find Paganism ridiculous.

He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.

Except I know what I said, cannot be reversed onto myself and cause any damage.

My faith in God is a fortress that cannot be sieged. I have put down my opinion on Paganism, not pagans. Say what you want.
Roman Catholic Italian American, all four grandparents emigrated from Italy. Honorably Discharged Marine, one tour in Afghanistan and one in Iraq. Motorcycle Enthusiast, Neo Conservative. -True Racist, Ask me anything-

'Cause we are the Ku Klux Klan. We're rollin' through your hood like the Taliban

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Imperium Nova Roma wrote:Except I know what I said, cannot be reversed onto myself and cause any damage.

My faith in God is a fortress that cannot be sieged. I have put down my opinion on Paganism, not pagans. Say what you want.

You said that you find Paganism to be ridiculous. Know that there are many here who find your faith to be just as ridiculous as Paganism. We're just too polite to phrase it that way.

Imperium Nova Roma
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Nova Roma » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 pm

CVT Temp wrote:
Imperium Nova Roma wrote:Except I know what I said, cannot be reversed onto myself and cause any damage.

You said that you find Paganism to be ridiculous. Know that there are many here who find your faith to be just as ridiculous as Paganism. We're just too polite to phrase it that way.

Read what you quote.

My faith in God is a fortress that cannot be sieged.

Say what you want, it doesn't change a thing. I didn't post to convert, I posted to state an opinion on the subject matter. Don't attempt to derail the thread.

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Imperium Nova Roma wrote:Say what you want, it doesn't change a thing. I didn't post to convert, I posted to state an opinion on the subject matter. Don't attempt to derail the thread.

Yes, you posted an opinion. I then pointed out that your opinion could be perceived as both rude and, in the context of people such as myself, rather precarious. I'm not derailing at all. I'm simply humbling the zealous.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Phocidaea wrote:I intend no offense, but what is it that draws people to these religions? You weren't raised in these traditions (I'm assuming), and I doubt anyone proselytized to you about them, so what beliefs do they have that draw you to them on your own accord?

Rebellion against the establishment and their parents.

Or something.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Galla- wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:I intend no offense, but what is it that draws people to these religions? You weren't raised in these traditions (I'm assuming), and I doubt anyone proselytized to you about them, so what beliefs do they have that draw you to them on your own accord?

Or something.

Either that, or it really speaks to us in a way that Christianity hasn't.

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Galla- wrote:

Or something.

Watch your tongue.I'll have you know I was pretty much raised without religion in a very permissive household.It was I who brought myself to the wisdom of the old deities.This is not the place to speak with disrespect of them or our ways.

As for Galla's question and anyone who would like to know my reasons for following this path, you need only look a few pages back.We all have many different reasons for being pagan and following the specific traditions we do.So I cannot say that my reasons are the same as everyone else but they might help one to understand to a point at least.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

Thisbia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Finally! I tried to start a post but it didn't catch on. There are too few of us.
I was actually raised catholic, got into Edgar Cayce, astrology and then LaVeyism. Then I studied with JW's and learned Wicca. Dabbled in Scientology. Delved into Chaos, Whitcomb and a host of Cunningham. Became born again, learned basic hebrew and a little greek. Watched Nova discovery on archaeology and studied documentary hypothesis. Felt doomed to atheism. Studied Quantum physics and realized I am pagan.
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72
_Factbook
_NSTracker
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

A wrongly accused man is always vilified by the ignorant masses. Such a man should fire at will, he is bound to hit something. - Anonymous

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 pm

If I wanted to learn about the myths and legends of the celts, particularly the Irish, where should I start? Anyone got any good books or sites?

And please only send me to reputable resources too, resources with some degree of rigor. None of that fluffy bunny neopagan crap.

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Choronzon wrote:If I wanted to learn about the myths and legends of the celts, particularly the Irish, where should I start? Anyone got any good books or sites?

And please only send me to reputable resources too, resources with some degree of rigor. None of that fluffy bunny neopagan crap.

I'd suggest reading the Mabinogion. The Mabinogion are eleven prose stories collated from medieval Welsh manuscripts. Although the style of writing and story telling is that of Wales' well-developed mediaeval tradition, it is likely the stories, or aspects of the stories, hark back to older Iron Age traditions.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Thisbia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:57 am

Cill Airne wrote:
Condunum wrote:So out of curiosity, since I noticed a number of the pagans here are of this type: What is Druidry?

If you have the time this is an article I wrote, "A Brief Introduction to Druidry" for my blog, and I have used it to answer questions on Y!A as well as here. For a more in deepth understanding I recommend reading "What Druid's Believe in" By Philip Carr-Gomm. Other books that I recommend are The Path of Druidry: Walking the Ancient Green Way by Penny Billington and The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth by John Michael Greer

Perhaps one of the most striking characteristics of modern Druidry is that it has managed to remain, to a high degree, free of dogma, and a fixed set of beliefs or practices. As a result of this, Druidry has been able to establish itself as a spiritual path that avoids many of the problems of intolerance and sectarianism that the established religions of today face.
Druidry does not have a sacred text, or equivalent to the Bible. There is no universally accepted set of beliefs amongst Druids, either. However, there are a number of ideas and beliefs that are commonplace amongst Druidry.
Druidry is a spiritual path – a religion to some, to others a way of life – Druids share a belief in the fundamentally spiritual nature of life. Some druids favour a particular way of understanding the source of the spiritual nature: calling themselves to be animists, pantheists, polytheists, monotheists, and duotheists. Other druids hold the belief that understanding or knowing what a deity is by its very nature unknowable to Humanity and chose to avoid any concept of a deity. This leads to one of the greatest characteristics of modern day Druidry: its acceptance of diversity. This is because Druidry realises that none of us has the monopoly on truth, and that diversity is healthy and natural.
Perhaps one of the key characteristics of Druidry is nature. Nature is an important focus of the Druid’s reverence, that all druids sense Nature as divine or sacred. Druids believe that every part of nature is part of the great web of life, and no part of nature is superior to another part. This is unlike religions that are anthropocentric (believing that Humanity occupies a central role in the scheme of life), Druidry sees humankind as just one part of the wider family of life.
Philostratus of Tyana reported in the 2nd century about what the ancient Celts believed happened after death. Many modern Druids share this belief today. Philostratus of Tyana reported that the Druids believed in the Otherworld, stating that after we died we would be reborn there, and live our life in this world. Then, once we died in the Otherworld, we would be reborn here in this world. The good and the bad went to this Otherworld, as the Celts did not believe in a place of ever lasting torture for those who were wicked in this life. As a result, the Celts were reported to mourn births and celebrate deaths. Other druids believe in reincarnation, as either human or another form of life.
Druids are taught to seek above al the cultivation of wisdom, creativity and love. In the stories of Fionn MacCumhaill (Finn MacCool) of Ireland, and Taliesin of Wales, we are taught to seek wisdom. Both stories begin by elders searching for wisdom, and in both stories a young helper gets to taste the wisdom the elders searched for. Apart from teaching the virtues of innocence and helpfulness, both stories contain instructions to search for wisdom. As exemplified by the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids (OBOD), Bards and their practice has been part of Druidry during the times of the Celtic Druids, and is today. In the past, Bards are believed to have sung the wisdom of the Druids. And today, many people are drawn to Druidry because it helps develop their creativity. Rather than stressing the idea that this life is only temporary and that we should focus on the afterlife, Druidry conveys the idea that we are meant to participate in life on earth, and that we should express and share our creativity as often as we can. Finally, Druidry teaches us to love the land, Earth, the stars and the wild. Druidry also encourages us to love peace. Historically Druids were known to be peacemakers, and this holds true to this day. Often, Druid ceremonies begin with offering peace to each of the cardinal directions, there is a Druid’s peace prayer, and Druids plant peace groves. Druidry encourages a love of history and a reverence for the ancestors.
Today, many Druidic Orders are divided into three grades: the Bard Grade, the Ovate Grade, and the Druid Grade. The three goals sought by the druid can be related to the work of these three grades. Bardic teachings help to develop our creativity, Ovate teachings help to develop our love for the natural world and the community of all life, and finally the Druid teachings help us in our quest for wisdom.

So what is your take on McCrossan and Druidactos? Have you read The Sacred Cauldron?
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72
_Factbook
_NSTracker
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

A wrongly accused man is always vilified by the ignorant masses. Such a man should fire at will, he is bound to hit something. - Anonymous

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Four pages, and only four votes (including mine)? NSG needs more Pagans :)

I don't believe in any deity, per se, but I lean toward Wicca in basic philosophy, and I'm rather fond of the rituals and such (such as handfasting, celebrating the solstices/equinoxes, and the concept of candle magick), so I voted Wicca. My favourite aspect is, of course, the Wiccan Rede (see sig/nation's motto), and I think the world would be a better place if such a concept were an essential part of every person's lifestyle :)

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 pm

i don't "belong to" anything other then my own feeble attempts to avoid deceiving myself. that nonphysical beings and other things are capable of existing i do not doubt.
that any statistical majority of them must be benign is witnessed by our continued existence.
one god, no god, or however many god-like beings see fit to exist, what people pretend to know about it or them, is people pretending.

names, inclinations, behavior patterns, any of it, mono, poly, or none, as the individual belief might happen to be.

anything good though, would be loving, generous, and well meaning, or at least two out of three at any rate.
this to me implies, that whatever there is, cannot possibly be pleased to see people kill and injure each other over differences between what they each claim to know about it/them.

i believe the neo-pagan inclination is a good thing, in so far as it recognizes how inconsistent fanatical narrowness, is with the kind of universe anyone can observe that we actually live in.

i'm no one flavor of any one belief. i just like to be nice to invisible things that might exist an make as good of friends as anyone else. i like the idea of people doing that.
i like the idea that doing so, might help people be nice to each other.
it's all about what kind of experience we create for each other to have to live, more then any one belief or what any of us call ourselves.

i refuse to identify myself as either monothiest or polythiest, because again, even that, is pretending to know something that is not known. possible even incapable of being known.

i once met someone who called themselves an agnostic polytheist. i kind of like that.
i believe that is in closer tune with what we can honestly know, then to come up with names and hierarchies and call it knowledge to do so.

i believe in being nice to everything as much as can be done. i don't mean this as worship. i have a hard time believing any good thing would want worship. but rather, being nice to it and everyone else, makes sense to me, as what any good being, physical or non-physical, powerful or otherwise, would want.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Kotonesia
Lobbyist

Founded: May 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Yay, I'm not the only Wiccan!

Postby Kotonesia » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Wiccan and have been searching for a Pagan community here on NationStates forum for a long time, I only just began playing again after leaving last year.
I am an Eclectic Wiccan but I lean towards Dianic Wicca, even though I worship the God as well as the Goddess.
I enjoy candle magic (I dislike the spelling 'magick' for some reason, I don't know why :meh: ), some rituals, celebrating Samhain and the like and the Wiccan Rede is a major part of my beliefs.
When I was younger I was especially interested in different cultures and religions. I was a Christian for a while but it felt a little too formal, if you know what I mean. I grew up in a multicultural society, so I was surrounded by Muslims and Christians and Sikhs, Jews and other religions, but there were never many Wiccans in my community.
Even so, I don't feel different, being the only Wiccan in my community. I am comfortable with who I am and I'm not ashamed of being Wiccan - as you can probably see in my signature :)
Last edited by Kotonesia on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kotonesia is located in Renaissance and is proud of its region!
I have a thing for guyliner.
Can Bonomo is seriously hot.

♪♫ Hop onto my ship, baby / I'll make you fly
You love me and you know that, baby, don't you lie /
Like me like I like you and say naninaninaninanina ♪♫

I'm Wiccan, deal with it.
I am ginger and proud.
I am an author.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Choronzon wrote:If I wanted to learn about the myths and legends of the celts, particularly the Irish, where should I start? Anyone got any good books or sites?

The Book of Invasions perhaps too?
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:17 pm

And I think I've integrated some paganesque thought into my belief system.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Faolinn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:50 am

Forster Keys wrote:

The Book of Invasions perhaps too?

Well I'm not entirely sure.You might not like to hear it, but Isaac Bonewitz does differentiate between reconstructionist practices and non-reconstructionist in some of his writing.I also will not and cannot reccomend the Lebor Feasa Runda. Primarily because it's a hoax.It has some useful stuff in it, but I cannot call it reconstructionist.
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 am

Imperium Nova Roma wrote:Let's just say as an Italian-American Roman Catholic, who was raised to look down upon other religions, I find Paganism ridiculous. It should have been stopped permanently at the end of the middle ages. I have no qualms with Pagans, just their beliefs. As I'm sure others have with Roman Catholicism.

personally I find Roman Catholic paganism somewhat ridiculous

in particular it's linking of astronomical cycles to the life of it's resurrected god and the ongoing veneration of ancestral saints.

at least Islam is consistent
Last edited by Cetacea on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Faolinn
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:56 am

Cetacea wrote:
Imperium Nova Roma wrote:Let's just say as an Italian-American Roman Catholic, who was raised to look down upon other religions, I find Paganism ridiculous. It should have been stopped permanently at the end of the middle ages. I have no qualms with Pagans, just their beliefs. As I'm sure others have with Roman Catholicism.

personally I find Roman Catholic paganism somewhat ridiculous

in particular it's linking of astronomical cycles to the life of it's resurrected god and the ongoing veneration of ancestral saints.

at least Islam is consistent

I don't see why.The Catholic Church itself is pretty pagan as it is.Hell, some of the saints are pagan Gods in disguise.
My ideology.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General