NATION

PASSWORD

Pokemon: is it possible to bring them into the real world?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashetenia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashetenia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm

United States of Natan wrote:dna recombining could work, but i think we should make a machine that can bring them out of the game. and guys, stop insulting me.

Wow. I'm not even going to go into how scientifically misguided that idea is. Also, no one is really insulting you. They're just telling you how much of waste it would be to devote 3-d printing technology to making pokemon.
"I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast." -Ronald Reagan

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:Making some of them real, not all is possible
Sentient ice cream, magnets? Nope
Pig monkeys? Yes
Turtles? Yes
Plant-animal hybrids? Maybe.
Lizards with their tails on fire? Nope
Birds? Yes
Butterflies? Already 'evolve'

I don't think that any of those could have the various abilities Pokemon possess, which is their only true defining feature.

You could train or genetically engineer a pig monkey with the will the fight, ergo you got Mankey
Just genetically engineer a bird , you have Swellow or Pidgey or Farfetch'd. (They are normal type so I'm kind of cheating, but pokémon nonetheless)
Engineer a plant-animal hybrid and you got Bulbasaur, What's more to it?
Fire Pokémon? nah, but like I said, some are possible, some aren't.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Bluvil
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluvil » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 pm

I guess some kind of overly expensive hologram machine could make it look like Pokemon are actually there, but unless 3D animation becomes fully possible, all you'll really get is a real life version of the Pokemon stadium games but with 2D sprites portraying the Pokemon and the Pokemon would only exist as battling bits of code.

I'd imagine these bits of code could be kept in Poke Balls (as long as they had a USB drive in them) and you could probably program some different animations and sounds for the Pokemon, but they wouldn't exist as anything other than battling pieces of code. Nobody would make the machine in bulk as they wouldn't sell (High production costs means high retail prices for something that people can do in the games anyway), maybe someone with too much money would hire people to build one, but it would be a waste of money in my opinion.

As far as making actually real Pokemon? No, it won't happen and should never happen.
"Sola virtus triumphat"

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:IIRC, Pokemon are militarized.

Lt. Surge used his Pokémon in some unnamed war.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew started with a scene of a Pokémon war.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, I don't actually recall that. But it seems plausible that they'd explore that angle considering the police force employs fire dogs and there's a guy named Lieutenant Surge. He's got to be lieutenant of something, after all. Unless he's just a weirdo that calls himself lieutenant for no adequately explained reason.

I mean, it's not like people lie about their profession in that universe. Professor Oak knows so much about Pokemon that he wasn't able to enter a single piece of information about a single Pokemon in his Pokedex before he gave it to you. That's...wait...that's contrary evidence to the whole not lying about your profession thing. :blink:

Hell, Gyarados actively attack cruises in the high seas just because they anger easily.

Not a military application per se, but certainly dangerous. :lol:
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm

You could mutilate an existing animal to resemble a pokémon, that's probably the most likely option.
(Not endorsing animal cruelty)

Or grab some mud, put some eyes on it and call it a Grimer.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Reminded me of this.
(Sorry, the analogy is too perfect.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNgmdGMpuY

On the left Mitchell will be playing the role of the NSG community.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:On the left Mitchell will be playing the role of the NSG community.

I think the Helivets should be the nurses in the Pokemon Clinics.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Founded: Jul 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Goodclark wrote:
Not Safe For Work wrote:
Short of magic, it might not.

A computer picture of a pokemon has no 'particles', unless you mean pixels - and just copying the appearance of an object with some kind of 3d-print technology wouldn't spontaneously generate functional internal organs, or the 'spark of life'.

To be honest, the idea of Pokemon in real life is pretty horrible, anyway.

I really like your flag.

It really likes you, too.

*nods*
Beot or botneot, tath is the nestqoui.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Olthar wrote:

Lt. Surge used his Pokémon in some unnamed war.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew started with a scene of a Pokémon war.

I'd be interested in seeing how armed forces deal with electric mice, dragons, psychic pokemon...Somehow I wonder if rare Pokemon are hard to find because the military catches them all...

Chansey the combat medic.

Socialdemokraterne wrote:

Well, I don't actually recall that. But it seems plausible that they'd explore that angle considering the police force employs fire dogs and there's a guy named Lieutenant Surge. He's got to be lieutenant of something, after all. Unless he's just a weirdo that calls himself lieutenant for no adequately explained reason.

I mean, it's not like people lie about their profession in that universe. Professor Oak knows so much about Pokemon that he wasn't able to enter a single piece of information about a single Pokemon in his Pokedex before he gave it to you. That's...wait...that's contrary evidence to the whole not lying about your profession thing. :blink:

Hell, Gyarados actively attack cruises in the high seas just because they anger easily.

Not a military application per se, but certainly dangerous. :lol:

Lest we forget Tyranitar's tendencies to cause landslides. How a stable society exists in Pokemon is a mystery.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Haha, are you serious? Is this really being asked? haha! This made my day!

To answer the question, no way! A few pokemon may be able to be bred through selective breeding to get an animal that looks somewhat similar, like the pigeon-bird one, but that's about it. And there would be no off the wall powers.

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Czechanada wrote:We have Pokemon in this world. They're just not in any of the games. They are called animals.

We don't shove them into balls though, so they aren't pocket monsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ51nDLoL1M

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm

United States of Natan wrote:I think it is possible, mostly through either DNA combining (unlikely, though) or virtual recreation. the way I think it could be done through virtual recreation is find a computer image of a pokemon, and then build a machine that can transfer it's particles into the real world. how might a machine like this be built? if we work together, we can definitely bring pokemon into the real world, possibly through our games!

What? You're asking for a machine that can build a real pokemon? With, like, the ability to use moves like 'AncientPower'? I mean, you could probably just about create pokemon-like robots, and perhaps in a few decade pokemon-shaped living animals. But that isn't saying anything about pokemon such as Magmortar which do things that no animal has done on earth like shooting fire from cannons built into its hands.

I'm skeptical, to say the least.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm

OP, your question was a tad on the abstract. But it represents using your imagination, and that's not a bad thing. No, it's probably never going to be possible to bring Pokemon into reality. You meant no harm in asking, and you're embarrassed to find that your question was so thoroughly rejected.

It's alright, this sort of thing happens sometimes. Don't be discouraged, working backwards from a goal is a good approach. You just ended up with a goal to which there is no discernible path at this time. It happens more frequently than you might think.
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Trollgaard wrote:To answer the question, no way! A few pokemon may be able to be bred through selective breeding to get an animal that looks somewhat similar, like the pigeon-bird one, but that's about it. And there would be no off the wall powers.

It's called Pidgey, plebe. :lol:
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Ozzy
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Ozzy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Its a good thing Pokemon aren't in the real world. What would humans do to them? Especially China since they eat anything.......
Last edited by IM Meen on Wed May 15, 1996 1:29 pm, edited 756 times in total.

Long live the Global Liberation Army!
Leader of NS Hoofington Reapers

In this world we stand for what we love, for what is right and for our rights. If you don't stand for either one of these you don't stand at all. You're crippled mentally. Your rights give you your life, that life gives you the right to stand for what is right for the world and one of those rights in the world is standing strong for those you love and what you love as a whole.

Triodard and Florard
Envoy

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Triodard and Florard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

It might be possible to create creatures that look kind of like pokemon in the far future, with a few modifications, but I'm almost certain a little pseudo-pikachu will start shooting lightning.

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:02 pm

United States of Natan wrote:dna recombining could work,

No, it couldn't.

United States of Natan wrote:...but i think we should make a machine that can bring them out of the game.

Should? Debatable - the ethical implications of such institutionalized cruelty are profound.

Is it possible? No.

United States of Natan wrote:and guys, stop insulting me.

Telling you it's impossible is not insulting you.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Ozzy wrote:Its a good thing Pokemon aren't in the real world. What would humans do to them? Especially China since they eat anything.......

Delicious Milktanks and Tauros for dinner...

Pass the Pidgey, please :twisted:
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Tigeria
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tigeria » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:02 pm

I think we could make pokemon biologically, however as far as saying their name or having powers is not entirely possible, or the evolving part
The planet Trae is an ancient land with a sordid history of globalization, war, kings, and gods. We currently boast 8 Billion in total population with a fair government under checks and balances and a separation of powers.

The current year is 2,017 Post-Omega

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Johz wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:I think it is possible, mostly through either DNA combining (unlikely, though) or virtual recreation. the way I think it could be done through virtual recreation is find a computer image of a pokemon, and then build a machine that can transfer it's particles into the real world. how might a machine like this be built? if we work together, we can definitely bring pokemon into the real world, possibly through our games!

What? You're asking for a machine that can build a real pokemon? With, like, the ability to use moves like 'AncientPower'? I mean, you could probably just about create pokemon-like robots, and perhaps in a few decade pokemon-shaped living animals. But that isn't saying anything about pokemon such as Magmortar which do things that no animal has done on earth like shooting fire from cannons built into its hands.

I'm skeptical, to say the least.

I'm more skeptical of how we're going to gene-splice or 3d-print ghost types.

Segland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Segland » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Socialdemokraterne wrote:OP, your question was a tad on the abstract. But it represents using your imagination, and that's not a bad thing. No, it's probably never going to be possible to bring Pokemon into reality. You meant no harm in asking, and you're embarrassed to find that your question was so thoroughly rejected.

It's alright, this sort of thing happens sometimes. Don't be discouraged, working backwards from a goal is a good approach. You just ended up with a goal to which there is no discernible path at this time. It happens more frequently than you might think.

Yes, OP, remember this statement. Also, when you start NS, assume everyone absolutely hates you and work your way up.

Somewhat more on topic, I remember when I was about 7 I prayed that God would give me a Pikachu.

When I didn't get that Pikachu, I became an atheist.
The Seglandic Republic | Segelcynn Gemænewela | 色各兰共和国
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere." - Seamus Heaney

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:To answer the question, no way! A few pokemon may be able to be bred through selective breeding to get an animal that looks somewhat similar, like the pigeon-bird one, but that's about it. And there would be no off the wall powers.

It's called Pidgey, plebe. :lol:

Lol, I was close.

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Segland wrote:
Socialdemokraterne wrote:OP, your question was a tad on the abstract. But it represents using your imagination, and that's not a bad thing. No, it's probably never going to be possible to bring Pokemon into reality. You meant no harm in asking, and you're embarrassed to find that your question was so thoroughly rejected.

Yes, OP, remember this statement. Also, when you start NS, assume everyone absolutely hates you and work your way up.

Somewhat more on topic, I remember when I was about 7 I prayed that God would give me a Pikachu.

When I didn't get that Pikachu, I became an atheist.

A pretty good argument, that, actually.

The sudden appearance of a lifeform that could not be in any way explained as having originated through any known mechanism would actually be a pretty good argument for 'gods'. Or aliens, I suppose.

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Can we use genetic engineering to alter creatures to the extent where they will resemble magically-empowered creatures from a half-baked children's media franchise? No, and I hope we never develop technology to that level. Think of the Eldritch abominations that could be created.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General