NATION

PASSWORD

No more meat?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

No more meat?

Postby Genivaria » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:50 am

Well no not literally ALL gone, but a new study has shown that in a few decades we'll have to radically alter our diets.

Food shortages could force world into vegetarianism, warn scientists
Water scarcity's effect on food production means radical steps will be needed to feed population expected to reach 9bn by 2050

Leading water scientists have issued one of the sternest warnings yet about global food supplies, saying that the world's population may have to switch almost completely to a vegetarian diet over the next 40 years to avoid catastrophic shortages.

Humans derive about 20% of their protein from animal-based products now, but this may need to drop to just 5% to feed the extra 2 billion people expected to be alive by 2050, according to research by some of the world's leading water scientists.

"There will not be enough water available on current croplands to produce food for the expected 9 billion population in 2050 if we follow current trends and changes towards diets common in western nations," the report by Malik Falkenmark and colleagues at the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) said.

"There will be just enough water if the proportion of animal-based foods is limited to 5% of total calories and considerable regional water deficits can be met by a … reliable system of food trade."

Dire warnings of water scarcity limiting food production come as Oxfam and the UN prepare for a possible second global food crisis in five years. Prices for staples such as corn and wheat have risen nearly 50% on international markets since June, triggered by severe droughts in the US and Russia, and weak monsoon rains in Asia. More than 18 million people are already facing serious food shortages across the Sahel.

Oxfam has forecast that the price spike will have a devastating impact in developing countries that rely heavily on food imports, including parts of Latin America, North Africa and the Middle East. Food shortages in 2008 led to civil unrest in 28 countries.

Adopting a vegetarian diet is one option to increase the amount of water available to grow more food in an increasingly climate-erratic world, the scientists said. Animal protein-rich food consumes five to 10 times more water than a vegetarian diet. One third of the world's arable land is used to grow crops to feed animals. Other options to feed people include eliminating waste and increasing trade between countries in food surplus and those in deficit.

"Nine hundred million people already go hungry and 2 billion people are malnourished in spite of the fact that per capita food production continues to increase," they said. "With 70% of all available water being in agriculture, growing more food to feed an additional 2 billion people by 2050 will place greater pressure on available water and land."

The report is being released at the start of the annual world water conference in Stockholm, Sweden, where 2,500 politicians, UN bodies, non-governmental groups and researchers from 120 countries meet to address global water supply problems.

Competition for water between food production and other uses will intensify pressure on essential resources, the scientists said. "The UN predicts that we must increase food production by 70% by mid-century. This will place additional pressure on our already stressed water resources, at a time when we also need to allocate more water to satisfy global energy demand – which is expected to rise 60% over the coming 30 years – and to generate electricity for the 1.3 billion people currently without it," said the report.

Overeating, undernourishment and waste are all on the rise and increased food production may face future constraints from water scarcity.

"We will need a new recipe to feed the world in the future," said the report's editor, Anders Jägerskog.

A separate report from the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) said the best way for countries to protect millions of farmers from food insecurity in sub-Saharan Africa and south Asia was to help them invest in small pumps and simple technology, rather than to develop expensive, large-scale irrigation projects.

"We've witnessed again and again what happens to the world's poor – the majority of whom depend on agriculture for their livelihoods and already suffer from water scarcity – when they are at the mercy of our fragile global food system," said Dr Colin Chartres, the director general.

"Farmers across the developing world are increasingly relying on and benefiting from small-scale, locally-relevant water solutions. [These] techniques could increase yields up to 300% and add tens of billions of US dollars to household revenues across sub-Saharan Africa and south Asia."

Well.....shit. There goes my Whataburger. I think we need to quadruple the funding into research of Invitro Meat.

Yewhohohopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yewhohohopia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:51 am

Can't we just have more abortions, also steak?
A world of lonely men, and no love, no God.

Norsklow
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:54 am

And don't forget to give up your icecream FIRST.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/
And I way too young to be Beny bith.
NationStates: Because FOX is for douchebags.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:55 am

I was watching a nature documentary about the ecology of Monterey Bay. Apparently it is so productive because sediment from the sea bed is channeled up an underwater valley upswelling in the bay. Now this is probably a completely mad idea that will be swiftly ridiculed, but could we not increase productivity in other areas of the world by creating similar upswellings artificially? A long pipe with a big fan blade at the end would seem fairly low tech.
Last edited by L Ron Cupboard on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:57 am

Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:59 am

Cannibalism could work with 9 billion people though. Keeps the population in check and well meat-ed!

Obviously a joke guyz.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:59 am

Yewhohohopia wrote:Can't we just have more abortions, also steak?

There's something vaguely disturbing about that sentence.
L Ron Cupboard wrote:I was watching a nature documentary about the ecology of Monterey Bay. Apparently it is so productive because sediment from the sea bed is channeled up an underwater valley upswelling in the bay. Now this is probably a completely mad idea that will be swiftly ridiculed, but could we not increase productivity in other areas of the world by creating similar upswellings artificially?

I'm sure that many alternative farming techniques are going to be tried.

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:00 am

I read this before the article, and I horribly misinterpreted it.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Norsklow
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:00 am

Because our biggest long-term constraint is the amount of rain-water falling on places where the soil is suitable for agriculture.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/

The Kangaroo Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kangaroo Republic » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:00 am

Wisconsin9 wrote:Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.

I'm not sure either if I am supposed to laugh cruelly or just be sad for everyone else.
I'll just go with sad, because I don't wanna be a dick.
Sub Astra --- Australes Unum
they/them or he/him pronouns please
Version 3 of the Kangaroo Republic started on 9 March, 2014

>>Go to factbook<<

Other names for the Kangaroo Republic: The Federation, FKR, The Federal Kangaroo Republic
Demonym: Macropodine, Kangan
NS resident kangaroo furry and therian.
Demsoc, Pro BLM, Pro Antifa
Big ol' non-binary duder

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:01 am

New Hayesalia wrote:Cannibalism could work with 9 billion people though. Keeps the population in check and well meat-ed!

Obviously a joke guyz.

[Insert Soylent Green reference here]

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:02 am

The Kangaroo Republic wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.

I'm not sure either if I am supposed to laugh cruelly or just be sad for everyone else.

Laugh cruelly. It's more fun. :twisted:
~~~~~~~~

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:04 am

I dearly hope they don't follow on from each other.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:04 am

Norsklow wrote:Because our biggest long-term constraint is the amount of rain-water falling on places where the soil is suitable for agriculture.

I just thought of something...would it be possible to to create water from the air? Isn't that basically how hydrogen powered cars work except in reverse?

The Kangaroo Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kangaroo Republic » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:05 am

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The Kangaroo Republic wrote:I'm not sure either if I am supposed to laugh cruelly or just be sad for everyone else.

Laugh cruelly. It's more fun. :twisted:

We'll need to get the poor guys better veggieburgers that feel and taste even more like meat than now. At least it's hard to notice the difference, and they're still pretty tasty.
Sub Astra --- Australes Unum
they/them or he/him pronouns please
Version 3 of the Kangaroo Republic started on 9 March, 2014

>>Go to factbook<<

Other names for the Kangaroo Republic: The Federation, FKR, The Federal Kangaroo Republic
Demonym: Macropodine, Kangan
NS resident kangaroo furry and therian.
Demsoc, Pro BLM, Pro Antifa
Big ol' non-binary duder

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:05 am

Genivaria wrote:
Norsklow wrote:Because our biggest long-term constraint is the amount of rain-water falling on places where the soil is suitable for agriculture.

I just thought of something...would it be possible to to create water from the air? Isn't that basically how hydrogen powered cars work except in reverse?

I suppose theoretically you could separate the respective elements in the atmosphere, then combine the hydrogen and oxygen, but it would be difficult and extremely expensive.
~~~~~~~~

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:06 am

The Kangaroo Republic wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Laugh cruelly. It's more fun. :twisted:

We'll need to get the poor guys better veggieburgers that feel and taste even more like meat than now. At least it's hard to notice the difference, and they're still pretty tasty.

Fine. Create most realistic veggie burger ever now, sit back and laugh cruelly later.
~~~~~~~~

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:06 am

*laughs cruelly at them*
Last edited by Phing Phong on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Incompetent Buddhist, liberal centrist and militant queer

Embassy Program | NSwiki Pages | Factbook | Map | National Anthem | Constitution | Phing Phong Fine Rices | Culture Test
Member of the Stonewall Alliance, open to all LGBT-friendly nations!

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:06 am

Wait a second... This doesn't really have much of an effect on me... All it means is that all of the people in Third-world countries are going to starve to death because of their own population rise!

Hooray for unnecessary cruelty and heartlessness!

Steak sandwich anyone? Come on, it's not like we'll be damning the Third-world to misery and starvation...
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:07 am

I'm not stopping eating meat. Vegetarians, and vegans more, look so pale and ill.
British, Bisexual, Protestant

Pro: civil rights for all, Scottish unionism, electoral reform, mixed economics, NATO, Commonwealth, foreign aid, nuclear weapons
Neutral: Irish unionism, European Union
Anti: fascism, communism, neoliberalism, populism
Disclaimer: Many of my past forum posts (particularly the oldest ones) are not representative of my current views, I'm way more progressive than I was back then lol.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:08 am

Britannic Realms wrote:I'm not stopping eating meat. Vegetarians, and vegans more, look so pale and ill.

I'll have you know I am currently enjoying mildly suffering a wonderful somewhat painful tan sunburn.
~~~~~~~~

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:08 am

The global population exploded by more than two billion in the last 16 years.
I'm not sure abortions are going to cut it.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Magmia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Magmia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:08 am

I guess now would be as good a time as ever to start practicing Ital 8)

Norsklow
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:08 am

But we could always turn the Vegans and such into steaks. Porckchops. Yes. Long Pork. Matter solved!

San Monteriano
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby San Monteriano » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:08 am

You're correct sir! :p
Monarch: Caterina I, HRDM
Prime Minister: Cristina S'Forza (PD)
Capital: San Monteriano (city)
National Language: Italian; English
Demonym: San Monteriani/Monterianese
RP Population: 62.5 million
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:
Tunasai wrote:Why would he make this up though?

Can I interest you in these magic beans I'm selling?

Ceannairceach wrote:If I were optimistic, I'd never be pleasantly surprised.

Tagmatium wrote:Yes - anything else is wishful thinking or wilful ignorance.

Without the EU, the UK is nothing but a backwater with delusions of grandeur and a history of empire.

"RENLY IS NOT RIGHT!" - Galbart Glover

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General