NATION

PASSWORD

Is the South racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

From your experience, is the South more racist than the rest of the US?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes : 174

Paulmania
Envoy

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Is the South racist?

Postby Paulmania » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:19 pm

I recently heard of a woman, a black woman, who was beaten to death by the LAPD. This made me wonder, what with the LAPD's history of dealing with minorities, if the South is actually as racist as people say it is. I mean, this is Los Angeles, not exactly Atlanta or Birmingham. When do you hear about women being kicked in the crotch and bloodied by the people who are supposed to uphold the law in the infamously racist South? From those who have been there (I haven't), is the South any more racist than the rest of the United States?

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Is LA in what is commonly held to be the American South?
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Paulmania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Paulmania » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Tagmatium wrote:Is LA in what is commonly held to be the American South?

It's the Southwest. Generally, anywhere west of Texas is not the South.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:22 pm

No, LA is in California.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Serrland wrote:

No, LA is in California.

That's what I was getting at.

I'm not an American, and it surprises me to read someone describing California as "the South".
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Maybe (could still linger from the ancestors in the Civil War)
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Tagmatium wrote:
Serrland wrote:No, LA is in California.

That's what I was getting at.

I'm not an American, and it surprises me to read someone describing California as "the South".

Yeah it's really strange. I'm not sure I've ever heard Californian called Southern before.

Armedland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Armedland » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:24 pm

LA is not generally considered to be in the deep south.
reagan 2010
"we should go back in time and impeach obama"
-me

Vettrera
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vettrera » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:25 pm

Im black and live outside atlanta and ill give it to you logically.

Racists people live all over. Because there is a higher concentration of blacks in the south. There is a higher concentration of (open) racism
||International Achievements||
"In Search of That Which Cannot Be Seen"

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Serrland wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:That's what I was getting at.

Yeah it's really strange. I'm not sure I've ever heard Californian called Southern before.

People do move the goal posts for their arguments, but I'm not sure what he's getting at with this.

Surely there are actual examples of potentially-racial crimes in the real South?

Yewhohohopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yewhohohopia » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Not so much racist as unduly prejudiced against those from the North and the UK's Celtic nations.
A world of lonely men, and no love, no God.

Paulmania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Paulmania » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Tagmatium wrote:
Serrland wrote:Yeah it's really strange. I'm not sure I've ever heard Californian called Southern before.

People do move the goal posts for their arguments, but I'm not sure what he's getting at with this.

Surely there are actual examples of potentially-racial crimes in the real South?

I mean that the liberal, Western state of California has an awful lot of racial crimes. I was wondering how it compared to the notoriously racist South.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:27 pm

I live in South Carolina and S.C. used to be one of the most racist states in the nation but it is now pretty welcoming and there is very little racism down here. Blacks and whites are now best friends here.
1 John 1:9

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:27 pm

Paulmania wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:People do move the goal posts for their arguments, but I'm not sure what he's getting at with this.

I mean that the liberal, Western state of California has an awful lot of racial crimes. I was wondering how it compared to the notoriously racist South.

Ooooh, fair play.

Perhaps you need to tweak the wording of the OP, because it doesn't come across that you mean that.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:27 pm

Paulmania wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:People do move the goal posts for their arguments, but I'm not sure what he's getting at with this.

So go do some research and report back to us.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 pm

When I lived in North Carolina, it wasn't too bad. Then again I did live in Durham. ;)

There are racist people no matter where you go. C'set la vie.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Yewhohohopia wrote:Not so much racist as unduly prejudiced against those from the North and the UK's Celtic nations.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aquitayne » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:29 pm

Being a resident of South Carolina (albeit I must admit not for a long time), my experience with people in general here is that it's not the fact that they're necessarily racist, it's that they haven't been exposed to a lot of foreign customs or religions. Take Judaism for example; not many people in my area of South Carolina have ever met a Jewish person before, so when they find out I myself am Jewish, they're innocently interested in it. They'll ask a lot of borderline questions that might seem like racism and antisemitism, but most of the time as I said before, it's just their lack of exposure.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Aquitayne wrote:Being a resident of South Carolina (albeit I must admit not for a long time), my experience with people in general here is that it's not the fact that they're necessarily racist, it's that they haven't been exposed to a lot of foreign customs or religions. Take Judaism for example; not many people in my area of South Carolina have ever met a Jewish person before, so when they find out I myself am Jewish, they're innocently interested in it. They'll ask a lot of borderline questions that might seem like racism and antisemitism, but most of the time as I said before, it's just their lack of exposure.

Propose to one of their daughters, see how that goes.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Yewhohohopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yewhohohopia » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Tagmatium wrote:
Yewhohohopia wrote:Not so much racist as unduly prejudiced against those from the North and the UK's Celtic nations.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

I've lived most places in the UK (other than Wales and NI), and err... it's all pretty much the same. London's uniquely horrible, mind.
A world of lonely men, and no love, no God.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 pm

for a time, in the 70s and well into the 80s, the american southeast, the gulf coast states, known otherwise primarily for their high humidity, and hosting of military bases, made serious efforts to move beyond its reputation for racism. it might well, as a result, for a brief time, in some places, have actually been less racist, then many places further north. but that is history now. the rise corporate fascism and a cultural mood of complacency toward if not in favor, of a self proclaimed conservatism that conserves nothing, would appear to mean a rather great deal of back sliding on this issue since then. such as indicated by all these efforts to disenfranchise all minorities and also everyone honest enough to not be co-opted by this so called conservatism, which is really a rather thin, if not transparent disguise, for creeping corporate fascism, that has usurped the democratic process.
Last edited by Cameroi on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Yewhohohopia wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

I've lived most places in the UK (other than Wales and NI), and err... it's all pretty much the same. London's uniquely horrible, mind.

It's why we ought to build a wall on the outside of the M25.

They wouldn't notice.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 pm

The American South has a long and bloody history of racism, so yeah, there's probably a fair amount of lingering racism there. Probably more so than a lot of other places in the US.
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 pm

California is the Florida of the West.

I said it once, and I say it again: Florida sucks, and the racism isn't even the biggest suckage aspect of it.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Domernicus
Attaché

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Domernicus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:33 pm

from my time in the South (an hour under south of atlanta) its been welcoming. Even the rednecks have black friends. I hvent really found any serious racism.
Hello! Please send me a telegram some time! I love a good conversation.
~Founder of the best Region Ever (In my opinion),
The Nation of Nations and Friends. ~

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General