NATION

PASSWORD

Also, what with all the religion hate?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Also, what with all the religion hate?

Postby Thafoo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 am

Why is it that sometimes, when you tell someone your religion, they act with arrogance and ignorance? When I explain to people my Buddhist views, they always act like what I had said was nonsense and I was an idiot for not believing in "[omnipotent figure here]"

Why is it that I can't tell someone my religion without them criticizing me? One time a christian tried to prove to me that there was more proof of Jesus existing than Buddha. Not really; The only "scientific" evidence of Jesus existing was an iffy Shroud of Turin and his biblical stories, whilst the Buddha has much more evidence, like how he was a prince of a (probably) existent Indian king, among other things. (The christian also tried to tell me that "we had no church")

Aren't we in a point in history (the 21st century) where people can just accept each other?

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 am

In real life people shouldn't bitch at you.

But on this forum people are supposed to debate.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:30 am

Well...that didn't go where I expected it too...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 am

Its the internet.
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am

Comes with the territory, pal.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:43 am

Thafoo wrote:Aren't we in a point in history (the 21st century) where people can just accept each other?

no.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:45 am

It's NSG. They don't pay them to debate, but they still do.

Should clue you in to people's eagerness to debate you.

Besides, the Christians are the killjoys, if recent events haven't already let you know that. :D
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Thafoo wrote:Aren't we in a point in history (the 21st century) where people can just accept each other?

no.

Anyway, Buddhism isn't a real religion, I mean, come on, Buddhists don't even have a god. That's like claiming to be a country when you don't have a flag.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Tigeria
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tigeria » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 am

No one knows whose really right about most things, and they're afraid that they're wrong, one of the many thing we humans can't stand. The more we try to push our beliefs into each other either the more scared that one person is of being wrong, or that person actually is wrong
The planet Trae is an ancient land with a sordid history of globalization, war, kings, and gods. We currently boast 8 Billion in total population with a fair government under checks and balances and a separation of powers.

The current year is 2,017 Post-Omega

Amastice
Attaché

Founded: Jul 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Amastice » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 am

Thafoo wrote:Why is it that sometimes, when you tell someone your religion, they act with arrogance and ignorance? When I explain to people my Buddhist views, they always act like what I had said was nonsense and I was an idiot for not believing in "[omnipotent figure here]"

Why is it that I can't tell someone my religion without them criticizing me? One time a christian tried to prove to me that there was more proof of Jesus existing than Buddha. Not really; The only "scientific" evidence of Jesus existing was an iffy Shroud of Turin and his biblical stories, whilst the Buddha has much more evidence, like how he was a prince of a (probably) existent Indian king, among other things. (The christian also tried to tell me that "we had no church")

Aren't we in a point in history (the 21st century) where people can just accept each other?

What an Idiot, Buddha did exist, Prince Gutharma Sidhartha, Buddha isn't a god is he?

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote: no.

Anyway, Buddhism isn't a real religion, I mean, come on, Buddhists don't even have a god. That's like claiming to be a country when you don't have a flag.

Or claiming you're a murderous Satanic cult without plastic devil horns for everybody.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Episarta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Episarta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am

People will always find something to get unreasonably angry over. It's genetic, or something.
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
By the pricking of our thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
Up-to-date factbook is on my nation's main page

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am

Amastice wrote:What an Idiot, Buddha did exist, Prince Gutharma Sidhartha, Buddha isn't a god is he?

Buddha specifically stated he wasn't.
Farnhamia wrote:

Depends on your definition of religion. Many people choose the broadest definition to incorporate it.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Anyway, Buddhism isn't a real religion, I mean, come on, Buddhists don't even have a god. That's like claiming to be a country when you don't have a flag.

Or claiming you're a murderous Satanic cult without plastic devil horns for everybody.

Exactly.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:49 am

Three words: Welcome to NS.
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Or Jewish without a penchant for money-grubbing! (<sarcasticanti-religionbanter)

I'm pretty certain that Buddha has been established as a historical figure. Christ I'm less sure on but....Either way, there's always gonna be folks who just can't get along with other folks because of beliefs.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:51 am

Ruridova wrote:Three words: Welcome to NS the internet life.

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:52 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ruridova wrote:Three words: Welcome to NS the internet life.

Thanks for fixing that.
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am

Thafoo wrote:Why is it that sometimes, when you tell someone your religion, they act with arrogance and ignorance? When I explain to people my Buddhist views, they always act like what I had said was nonsense and I was an idiot for not believing in "[omnipotent figure here]"

Buddhism is one of the only religions that ever made sense to me but because me and rituals/traditions/rules have a bit of a hardon hate for each other it never got anywhere. The meditation and pacifist elements appealed to me as well as the self-enlightenment aspect. I did dabble in Buddhism when I was younger while finding myself in a religious context - wound up determining that I was Atheist more than anything else.

Technically, the Buddhists don't have churches, you've got temples instead - it's a matter of language in that respect. ;)

We should accept each other but it's not going to happen until the zealots, fundamentalists and small-minded people die off. Religion can co-exist peacefully but not until the zealous elements are a footnote in a history textbook.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Spritalia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Spritalia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:55 am

There will always be someone there to persecute you for your beliefs. Best not to worry about it and shrug it off. :roll:
"To rid the world of the "Stupidity" Virus, one has to rid the world of warning labels and let nature take its hilarious course."

Winland wrote:
The Greater Aryan Race wrote:Trust me, once it starts, it never stops. You'll start regretting you wished for it.

They will be the ones regretting the day they messed with a level 19 Anti-Paladin!

Gay, Partial Democrat, Elder God Lover

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:55 am

Kryozerkia wrote:Buddhism is one of the only religions that ever made sense to me but because me and rituals/traditions/rules have a bit of a hardon hate for each other it never got anywhere.

If you don't like the rituals or traditions, then don't follow them. Buddha said don't follow things because they are tradition. The only real rules there are are following the Noble Eightfold Path. But if you don't do that, you aren't a Buddhist, now are you? :lol:
Last edited by Mavorpen on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:59 am

Farnhamia wrote:

It's better than the Greeks and the Norse beliefs, who can't even decide which flag to use, and so pick all of them.

Or even the Hindus who have a flag that you can't understand, and so have to view in the form of the component parts of the flag.

Indeed, the Christians and the Muslims can't even see their flag.

I'm not sure where the flag of Nepal fits in this metaphor.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Whemloch
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Whemloch » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 am

I'd like to point out there is more evidence of God's existence but you were probably unaware of it. For example, the tilma with the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe on it. It has lasted in near perfect conditions in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe for 478 years. All other clothes made of similar material kept in the same environment as that within the basilica have lasted for only about 10 years. In 1785, a worker in the basilica accidently spilled nitric acid across the right side of the tilma. Since then, it has not frayed, decayed or suffered any discoloration as it should have. In 1979 Philip C. Callahan, a research biophysicist at the University of Florida studied the tilma and concluded the image could not have been made by human hands. The eyes of Mary also feature corneal reflections, a feat in imaging that was impossible until the modern age. To all who deny the existence of any higher beings of any kind, just look around and you will learn of all the impossible things that happened and still happen in our world.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 am

Because of those damn Slaaneshi degenerates. *nods*

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 am

Johz wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Anyway, Buddhism isn't a real religion, I mean, come on, Buddhists don't even have a god. That's like claiming to be a country when you don't have a flag.

It's better than the Greeks and the Norse beliefs, who can't even decide which flag to use, and so pick all of them.

Or even the Hindus who have a flag that you can't understand, and so have to view in the form of the component parts of the flag.

Indeed, the Christians and the Muslims can't even see their flag.

I'm not sure where the flag of Nepal fits in this metaphor.

Interesting extrapolation. I rather think the Muslims and Christians can see their flags; they're wrapped in them. The Jews have a flag but only bring it out on special occasions and in the privacy of their places of worship. Nepal would fit roughly between Mali and Oman.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General