NATION

PASSWORD

Games of the XXX Olympiad (Official Thread)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Games of the XXX Olympiad (Official Thread)

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:25 pm

With only two days to go until the first event of the 2012 London Olympics and 4 days until the opening ceremony it is time once again to discuss results, athletes, controversies and what poor decisions the organising committee made. So Generalites what events are you going to be watching? Are there any athletes whom you will be following and supporting. What predications do people have? This is also the first city to host the event 3 times, any expectations that people have?

I will be attempting to watch all events (except synchronised swimming) but will be paying particular attention to the swimming events, shooting, BMX, football and beach volleyball.

I also expect there to be the usual countries to lead the medal tally, though Great Britain should be in the top 3 if not number 1. China and USA should finish out the top 3 and I am expecting a top 5 finish for Australia, hopefully the debacles of some members of the swimming team hasn't distracted them.

Also is it true the Spice Girls will be performing during the closing ceremony? With all the talented music groups throughout Britain that are not only good but still together are the Spice Girls really the Best of British?

Does anyone know if the marathon is being run on the original course that it did back in 1908, which was not only the first marathon event held but also set the standard for the length of the modern marathon.
Last edited by Blouman Empire on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Meh, I wish the summer Olympics were in a different country.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:30 pm

(edited)
Last edited by TaQud on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xomic » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:54 pm

*reads thread title*
*reads opening post*
*goes away disappointed that this isn't about a XXX parody of the Olympics.*

But on a serious note; I kind of find the Olympics both a frustrating event, in terms of coverage, which goes on far longer than it needs to, and a somewhat meaningless one.

The Olympics are like the sport's version of a presidential election in the US; the media thinks we really, really want to know all about it months in advance, when most people don't really give a damn.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Xomic wrote:*reads thread title*
*reads opening post*

But on a serious note; I kind of find the Olympics both a frustrating event, in terms of coverage, which goes on far longer than it needs to, and a somewhat meaningless one.

The Olympics are like the sport's version of a presidential election in the US; the media thinks we really, really want to know all about it months in advance, when most people don't really give a damn.

And like the US election, there are occasionally some interesting things, but it's mostly just boring stuff.

There's a guy competing under the Olympic flag. He's a south sudanese refugee who's been living in the US for 11 years but doesn't have citizenship because they insisted on a background check for security reasons. He would have gotten his citizenship in june otherwise. Yesterday or today he got the go-ahead to compete despite not having a country.

And 150000+ condoms are handed out in the olympic village.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006

Postby Xomic » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Xomic wrote:*reads thread title*
*reads opening post*

And like the US election, there are occasionally some interesting things, but it's mostly just boring stuff.

There's a guy competing under the Olympic flag. He's a south sudanese refugee who's been living in the US for 11 years but doesn't have citizenship because they insisted on a background check for security reasons. He would have gotten his citizenship in june otherwise. Yesterday or today he got the go-ahead to compete despite not having a country.

I'm not saying there's no interesting stuff, it's just most of the time, it's not. And by the time the olympics actually roll around you're so sick about hearing about the olympics you just don't care. It doesn't help there's very little chance that most countries will win any medals, not with the richer west dominating so.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:22 pm

I forgot to put "No fun police" in my OP, I wonder if that would've stopped you guys.

Tlaceceyaya wrote:There's a guy competing under the Olympic flag. He's a south sudanese refugee who's been living in the US for 11 years but doesn't have citizenship because they insisted on a background check for security reasons. He would have gotten his citizenship in june otherwise. Yesterday or today he got the go-ahead to compete despite not having a country.

Was it the US or South Sudan not granting him citizenship?
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:I forgot to put "No fun police" in my OP, I wonder if that would've stopped you guys.

Tlaceceyaya wrote:There's a guy competing under the Olympic flag. He's a south sudanese refugee who's been living in the US for 11 years but doesn't have citizenship because they insisted on a background check for security reasons. He would have gotten his citizenship in june otherwise. Yesterday or today he got the go-ahead to compete despite not having a country.

The US. He's a refugee from South Sudan.
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:39 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:I forgot to put "No fun police" in my OP, I wonder if that would've stopped you guys.

The US. He's a refugee from South Sudan.

Will be interesting to see how he performs

DBC26-Winner

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:The US. He's a refugee from South Sudan.

He got a run of 2 hours, 14 minutes and 32 seconds at the 2011 Twin Cities course. In a non-olympic marathon on that course last year, the best time was one minute better.
Also, Bonobos.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:With only two days to go until the first event of the 2012 London Olympics and 4 days until the opening ceremony it is time once again to discuss results, athletes, controversies and what poor decisions the organising committee made. So Generalites what events are you going to be watching? Are there any athletes whom you will be following and supporting. What predications do people have? This is also the first city to host the event 3 times, any expectations that people have?

I will be attempting to watch all events (except synchronised swimming) but will be paying particular attention to the swimming events, shooting, BMX, football and beach volleyball.

I also expect there to be the usual countries to lead the medal tally, though Great Britain should be in the top 3 if not number 1. China and USA should finish out the top 3 and I am expecting a top 5 finish for Australia, hopefully the debacles of some members of the swimming team hasn't distracted them.

Also is it true the Spice Girls will be performing during the closing ceremony? With all the talented music groups throughout Britain that are not only good but still together are the Spice Girls really the Best of British?

Does anyone know if the marathon is being run on the original course that it did back in 1912, which was not only the first marathon event held but also set the standard for the length of the modern marathon.

New Zealand. Naturally I'll be pleased if the Netherlands and GB do well too.

Sadly, I don't expect to see much as damn Sky got the blasted contract.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Zephie wrote:Meh, I wish the summer Olympics were in a different country.

Why? London's a good choice.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm excited. I wish I didn't work so much so I could watch more of the events.

Though, I actually prefer the winter olympics.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

The Reasonable
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reasonable » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Forsher wrote:

Why? London's a good choice.

Probably not as good a choice as last time though. :P

Man, the Chinese put on a show...it's a pity that China is known more for its corruption and business scandals than good things like how they ran the Olympics.
Factbook
8values

Country mostly reflects RL political views. See factbook's legislation section for details on policy and factbook's politics section for system of government. NS stats used as guides rather than as-is; refer to factbook for actual stats.

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Bring back forced nudity!
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

The Reasonable
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reasonable » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:The US. He's a refugee from South Sudan.

What a story the guy had...he deserves nothing less than a standing ovation when he walks out at the opening ceremony.
Factbook
8values

Country mostly reflects RL political views. See factbook's legislation section for details on policy and factbook's politics section for system of government. NS stats used as guides rather than as-is; refer to factbook for actual stats.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:And like the US election, there are occasionally some interesting things, but it's mostly just boring stuff.

The guy's name is Guor Marial. ESPN had an article on him, and according to it, he's a top 20 threat; so with a bit of luck, he could medal.

As for the 150,000 condoms... that's per athlete right?
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Meowfoundland wrote:Bring back forced nudity!

For the following event only: Women's beach volleyball.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

New Isotopia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Isotopia » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:43 pm

I'll probaly be focusing on swimmming and water polo.

Also I will be watching Women's Beach Vollyball.

;)
Last edited by New Isotopia on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49
Nazis in Space wrote:
The Icemark wrote:Can't believe how much I enjoyed that Women's beach volleyball. Exciting stuff
Especially their dresscode.

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Qazox wrote:

Please! Won't you think of the rashes?
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:01 am

Qazox wrote:

:roll:
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 am

I'm not nuch of a fan of the Olympics, but I hope my country does a good job at hosting it.

Do you live in Paris, by any chance? ;)
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:23 am

TaQud wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:Does anyone know if the marathon is being run on the original course that it did back in 1912, which was not only the first marathon event held but also set the standard for the length of the modern marathon.

No offence, but you are making the olympics even more boring with that statement...

No offence, but a lot of your recent posting behaviour has been verging on borderline spam.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:32 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
TaQud wrote:No offence, but you are making the olympics even more boring with that statement...

No offence, but a lot of your recent posting behaviour has been verging on borderline spam.

Is that some sort of pun? I mean... you've lifted his phrasing but as there is no redtext there's no offence...

Back to the topic, I can't wait for Phelps to be put in his rightful place, the guy's a dork. I've said it before, I think, but swimming is in need of reform... some of those lengths shouldn't really be there.

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:55 am

Blouman Empire wrote:With only two days to go until the first event of the 2012 London Olympics and 4 days until the opening ceremony it is time once again to discuss results, athletes, controversies and what poor decisions the organising committee made. So Generalites what events are you going to be watching? Are there any athletes whom you will be following and supporting. What predications do people have? This is also the first city to host the event 3 times, any expectations that people have?

Does anyone know if the marathon is being run on the original course that it did back in 1912, which was not only the first marathon event held but also set the standard for the length of the modern marathon.

I was in London on Friday. I'll be avoiding it for the next few weeks, despite being something of an Olympics aficionado and living less than an hour from St. Pancras train station. We didn't apply for tickets because we were both in the process of changing jobs at the time of the ballot, and had no idea where we would be living; had things been a little more settled, we might have considered applying for tickets for the slalom kayaking since at the time we lived only some 15 minutes by train from the venue. Without event tickets, we don't consider it worth attempting London, though it was mildly interesting seeing all of the pink venue directions up around Underground stations and maps.

In terms of your specific questions, the 2012 Olympic marathon doesn't follow the 1908 (not 1912) course. It can't, because the 1908 White City Stadium was demolished in 1985. The 2012 marathon route breaks with the tradition of finishing the marathon in the Olympic stadium; it finishes on the Mall, in sight of Buckingham Palace (also the finishing point for Mark Cavendish's gold medal Saturday's cycling road race).

It is apparently true (though unconfirmed by LOCOG itself) about the Spice Girls, but then closing ceremony musical acts haven't necessarily showcased the best of a nation's music. 2000 had the imperishable Nikki Webster (who within 5 years would be playing my local pokie club in Thornbury, Melbourne), and the immortal Savage Garden alongside the rather more significant Midnight Oil, Slim Dusty, and Kylie (but no AC/DC - boo {apparently they refused to mime} or Nick Cave - even bigger boo). For better or for worse (and I know where I stand), Wannabe was a number 1 hit in 30 countries.

Otherwise, we know The Who (or the surviving half, anyway) will feature, as will Take That. Blur, New Order and the Specials, all of whom I'd prefer to see in the stadium, will be performing at a special Closing Ceremony in Hyde Park, rather than in the stadium itself. Paul McCartney is closing the Opening Ceremony, so presumably won't be doubling up. I'd love to see Madness - who are, after all, from east London - in the closing ceremony, and I wouldn't rule out a surprise 50th anniversary appearance by the Rolling Stones. We know the Stones are rehearsing - with Bill Wyman! - in Paris for a small number of 50th anniversary concerts, and Jagger has stated they would have accepted the invitation to play the Opening Ceremony, but didn't feel 'battle ready' yet. Further announcements about Closing Ceremony acts are expected over the next few days.

Britain doesn't stand a chance of overtaking the USA and China on the medal table, but the BOC is confident of fourth, and is quietly hopeful of overtaking Russia to place third.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General