NATION

PASSWORD

POLL: Scandinavian Union

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you support Scandinavian unification?

Yes I support Scandinavian unification
44%
No I do not support Scandinavian unification
32%
Yes, but...
17%
No, and I'll tell you what else...
4%
Other
4%

Total votes : 135

Greater Shoggothia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

POLL: Scandinavian Union

Postby Greater Shoggothia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:26 am

Given recent thread on the topic of a German cultural union, I thought I'd see what NSG's opinion was regarding their neighbors to the north.

Personally I find myself strangely attracted to the idea, though normally I find such proposals tiresome. The biggest nit I could pick would be where to place the capitol; Stockholm would be the obvious choice, but I could see the Finns and Norwegians hesitating to be ruled from Sweden again. I would add that I would really only be in favor of such a thing if Finland were at least offered membership... perhaps even the Baltic states, though that might be pushing it.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:34 am

The other thread was easy because there's obviously no support for a ridiculous idea like reunification of culturally German areas, but I have no idea how friendly the Scandinavians are to unification. I imagine baselessly that the Danes and Swedes might not mind merging, but the Norwegians and especially Finns would surely have a few objections...
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:38 am

Well they're very different countries, with different lamguages and people.

Hey I've got an idea! Instead of just merging the Scandinavian states, let's create a federal union comprising all of Europe! We'll call it... the "EU" or "European Union".

Thesan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Thesan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:50 am

Well I'm an "outsider" so probably I'm the last person to ask it but for me... why not? I mean: in my RL country we have a morbous respect for scandinavian countries and their people at the limit of inferiority complex (except for Finland, instead is starting a pro-hate campaign against them....) so I'm totally pro for this... but if I'm not wrong there are still pro indipendence campaign fo some regions in Norway so maybe they absolutely don't want it....
Economic LEFT/Right: -6.62
Social LIBERTARIAN/Authoritarian: -7.38
Patriotic Social Democrat (with 68% of ecological!)
Thesan Territories
Thesan | Nedor | Irova

This nation reflects my political views.

Jafas United
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:02 am

Considering that our culture is very different from the other Nordic nations, it would be quite awkward for Finland to involve itself with such a union. A loose union with Estonia would be a better idea for us Finns.

And yes, involving the Baltic states is pushing it far. Very far.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:05 am

Radiatia wrote:Well they're very different countries, with different lamguages and people.

Finland and the Baltic states, yes. But with my average knowledge of Swedish, I can understand a lot of Danish and Norwegian. And vice-versa.

The people aren't so different either.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:05 am

Thesan wrote:Well I'm an "outsider" so probably I'm the last person to ask it but for me... why not? I mean: in my RL country we have a morbous respect for scandinavian countries and their people at the limit of inferiority complex (except for Finland, instead is starting a pro-hate campaign against them....) so I'm totally pro for this... but if I'm not wrong there are still pro indipendence campaign fo some regions in Norway so maybe they absolutely don't want it....

Where are you from? Estonia or Russia, I'm guessing?

Allmann
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Allmann » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:07 am

I support a Scandinavian Union, or perhaps a Nordic Union if Finland and possibly Estonia would like to join.
As to where the capital would lie, I would have no problem if Oslo or Copenhagen would be the capital city, or if it would be a Swedish city then I propose Gothenburg.

Perhaps Stockholm if Finland (and Estonia) joins the Union.

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:16 am

No, but a tight-knit union with head quarters at Copenhagen would be swell.
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

Great Void
Envoy

Founded: Mar 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Void » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:22 am

The general attitude - according to Helsingin Sanomat - is swaying against the EU and Euro in Finland. Who'd thunk. I myself am still europositive, but man, those southerners must get a grip pretty quickly.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:22 am

Allmann wrote:I support a Scandinavian Union, or perhaps a Nordic Union if Finland and possibly Estonia would like to join.
As to where the capital would lie, I would have no problem if Oslo or Copenhagen would be the capital city, or if it would be a Swedish city then I propose Gothenburg.

Why on earth would Finland and Estonia want to join anyway?

We are not Germanic/Scandinavian and it's annoying when we're classified as such. We are Nordic yes, but that doesn't mean we have a great deal in common with our Nordic "brothers" except Estonia and a shared history with Sweden.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 am

Great Void wrote:The general attitude - according to Helsingin Sanomat - is swaying against the EU and Euro in Finland. Who'd thunk. I myself am still europositive, but man, those southerners must get a grip pretty quickly.

I can't remember, did Jutta Urpilainen say a Finnish exit from the Eurozone was imminent or was she misquoted? I hope we do exit soon.

Great Void
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Void » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:26 am

Jafas United wrote:Why on earth would Finland and Estonia want to join anyway?

Because the Finns are educated enough to see that an union between too diverse bunch of nations is unbearable..?

Allmann
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Allmann » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:26 am

Jafas United wrote:
Allmann wrote:I support a Scandinavian Union, or perhaps a Nordic Union if Finland and possibly Estonia would like to join.

Why on earth would Finland and Estonia want to join anyway?

We are not Germanic/Scandinavian and it's annoying when we're classified as such. We are Nordic yes, but that doesn't mean we have a great deal in common with our Nordic "brothers" except Estonia and a shared history with Sweden.

Possibly for military/economic reasons, yes I know that Finland got a large military with reasonable spending (their military costs 25 billion Swedish crowns and they got about 300 000 troops compared to the Swedish budget of 45 billion and we got way less, Finland seems to me to think further ahead with it's military than Sweden do.

And also, I never said Finland or Estonia is Germanic and that would not be the reason they could or would join.

Great Void
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Void » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:28 am

Jafas United wrote:
Great Void wrote:The general attitude - according to Helsingin Sanomat - is swaying against the EU and Euro in Finland. Who'd thunk. I myself am still europositive, but man, those southerners must get a grip pretty quickly.

I can't remember, did Jutta Urpilainen say a Finnish exit from the Eurozone was imminent or was she misquoted? I hope we do exit soon.

She might've. The politicians nowadays say the darnest things.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 am

Great Void wrote:

Because the Finns are educated enough to see that an union between too diverse bunch of nations is unbearable..?

Then why are we still in the EU...?

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:33 am

Allmann wrote:

Possibly for military/economic reasons, yes I know that Finland got a large military with reasonable spending (their military costs 25 billion Swedish crowns and they got about 300 000 troops compared to the Swedish budget of 45 billion and we got way less, Finland seems to me to think further ahead with it's military than Sweden do.

And also, I never said Finland or Estonia is Germanic and that would not be the reason they could or would join.

Perhaps. But wouldn't that requite the Nordic nations (except Norway) to pull out of the EU since we're entering another union?

I was replying to your "capital city" quote which I thought that you were referring to a political melding of the Nordic nations. A unified nation of Swedes, Danes and Norwegians might be achievable, but it definitely won't be if Finns and Estonians are involved.

Great Void
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Void » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:34 am

Jafas United wrote:
Great Void wrote:Because the Finns are educated enough to see that an union between too diverse bunch of nations is unbearable..?

Then why are we still in the EU...?

It was - and still is - the best option. Things are changing rapidly, though.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:34 am

Great Void wrote:
Jafas United wrote:I can't remember, did Jutta Urpilainen say a Finnish exit from the Eurozone was imminent or was she misquoted? I hope we do exit soon.

She might've. The politicians nowadays say the darnest things.

At least she hasn't reduced herself to the level of Hakkarainen and Soini.

Great Void
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Void » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 am

Jafas United wrote:
Great Void wrote:She might've. The politicians nowadays say the darnest things.

At least she hasn't reduced herself to the level of Hakkarainen and Soini.

No matter what I think of the PS as a party, I think I'd have a nice time having a few cool ones with Soini. Not so much with Hakkarainen.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 am

Great Void wrote:
Jafas United wrote:Then why are we still in the EU...?

It was - and still is - the best option. Things are changing rapidly, though.

The common market was a good idea to begin with, but I do not think we need it anymore.

But I guess there is no way out now. As for the Eurozone, it was a terrible idea from the start, and Finland should exit that ASAP.

Allmann
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Allmann » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:44 am

Jafas United wrote:
Allmann wrote:

Perhaps. But wouldn't that requite the Nordic nations (except Norway) to pull out of the EU since we're entering another union?

I was replying to your "capital city" quote which I thought that you were referring to a political melding of the Nordic nations. A unified nation of Swedes, Danes and Norwegians might be achievable, but it definitely won't be if Finns and Estonians are involved.

Ah, I see.
Well a Union with or without Finland could form in different ways, Confederation, Federation, Unitary, Commonwealth (is that just not a different word for Federation). I would prefer a Federation kind of Union, either with or without Finland/Estonia.
Thus some kind of HQ or Capital would be needed, or not. Maybe having the capital/HQ rotate after a x amount of years.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:48 am

Great Void wrote:
Jafas United wrote:At least she hasn't reduced herself to the level of Hakkarainen and Soini.

No matter what I think of the PS as a party, I think I'd have a nice time having a few cool ones with Soini. Not so much with Hakkarainen.

Soini seems like the type of guy who you would share a drink with. But out of anyone, I'd pick Sampsa Kataja. He's good fun.

Great Void
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Void » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:48 am

Jafas United wrote:
Great Void wrote:It was - and still is - the best option. Things are changing rapidly, though.

The common market was a good idea to begin with, but I do not think we need it anymore.

But I guess there is no way out now. As for the Eurozone, it was a terrible idea from the start, and Finland should exit that ASAP.

Our industry couldn't handle it with the taxes without the EU. EU is a must at this stage. Nordic/Northern Union with maybe Germany and Benelux onboard is on the cards... maybe.

Jafas United
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:52 am

Allmann wrote:
Jafas United wrote:Perhaps. But wouldn't that requite the Nordic nations (except Norway) to pull out of the EU since we're entering another union?

Ah, I see.
Well a Union with or without Finland could form in different ways, Confederation, Federation, Unitary, Commonwealth (is that just not a different word for Federation). I would prefer a Federation kind of Union, either with or without Finland/Estonia.
Thus some kind of HQ or Capital would be needed, or not. Maybe having the capital/HQ rotate after a x amount of years.

Maybe closer economic ties, but I wouldn't go as far as to unite the Nordic nations.

I guess Copenhagen would be the best spot for a HQ. It's in a central location.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General