NATION

PASSWORD

If the south had won the civil war.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
New Sparta 1309
Spokesperson

Founded: May 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

If the south had won the civil war.

Postby New Sparta 1309 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 pm

This post is intended to be a serious historical discussion of the events that could have transpired had the Confederate States proved victorious in the civil war. Lets please keep this civil and on topic. If you intend to post something along the lines of "there would have been slavery forever" or "they’d be just like the Nazis" then I believe this post is not for you as that shows you really don’t understand the causes behind the civil war. Let’s start of how things go immediately following the end of the war, me personally I think that Robert E.Lee would have become the president following Jefferson Davis and that he would have begun the process of manumitting the slaves.

P.S. Mod's please dont lock this thread.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:32 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:This post is intended to be a serious historical discussion of the events that could have transpired had the Confederate States proved victorious in the civil war. Lets please keep this civil and on topic. If you intend to post something along the lines of "there would have been slavery forever" or "they’d be just like the Nazis" then I believe this post is not for you as that shows you really don’t understand the causes behind the civil war. Let’s start of how things go immediately following the end of the war, me personally I think that Robert E.Lee would have become the president following Jefferson Davis and that he would have begun the process of manumitting the slaves.

Might we dare ask what were the causes of the Civil War?
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 pm

We'd all be speaking southron.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:36 pm

We'd all be drinking tea and shitting crumpets.

Divide and conquer, lads. Divide and conquer.

New Sparta 1309
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sparta 1309 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Might we dare ask what were the causes of the Civil War?[/quote]

What the war essently came down to was a debate of how much power the national goverment has. The southern states that secceded wanted control of there own state and they didnt want what they felt where people who did not understand them dictating what they could or could not do.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 pm

I'd be living in hell.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

New Sparta 1309
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sparta 1309 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:I'd be living in hell.

how so ?

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:We'd all be drinking tea and shitting crumpets.

Divide and conquer, lads. Divide and conquer.

That would be the north, the south would be French and the west would be.... More Spanish then now, Checks and balances and all that
Grand-Duc de Languedoc, Under Roi J&D I

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:39 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:Might we dare ask what were the causes of the Civil War?

What the war essently came down to was a debate of how much power the national goverment has. The southern states that secceded wanted control of there own state and they didnt want what they felt where people who did not understand them dictating what they could or could not do.[/quote]

Nope, that cannot be the cause saying that the South repeatedly attempted to use the Federal Government as a tool to squash Northern State Rights. Instead, it seems like it had to do with them wanting to own all the slaves they wanted without challenge.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Who is Tom Joad?

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:40 pm

What the war essently came down to was a debate of how much power the national goverment has. The southern states that secceded wanted control of there own state and they didnt want what they felt where people who did not understand them dictating what they could or could not do.[/quote]
Exactly, the states right to own slaves

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:41 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:I'd be living in hell.

how so ?

I hate living in Guns'n'Godland enough as it is. Add in slavery, even more poverty, and obscene state power and I'd either have to try to claim refugee status somewhere saner or hang myself.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

New Sparta 1309
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sparta 1309 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Revolutopia wrote:

What the war essently came down to was a debate of how much power the national goverment has. The southern states that secceded wanted control of there own state and they didnt want what they felt where people who did not understand them dictating what they could or could not do.

Nope, that cannot be the cause saying that the South repeatedly attempted to use the Federal Government as a tool to squash Northern State Rights. Instead, it seems like it had to do with them wanting to own all the slaves they wanted without challenge.[/quote]

the majority of those who fought in the civil war for the south did not own slaves, neither did the generals. The north didnt give a rats ass about the blacks in the south. And what the south did after the war is in now way a reflection of the south before the war, and as previously stated if you wana argue that it was all about slavery this post is not for you.

Novaya Tselinoyarsk
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Tselinoyarsk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 pm

The United States would be 1/100th of it's current power.
Proletariacka Rzeczpospolita Nowy Tselinoyarsk
Proletarskaya Respubliki Novaya Tselinoyarsk

The Taryegeans
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Taryegeans » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:46 pm

They would not have lasted long, and then rejoined the Union proper (whether they wanted do or not.)

King Cotton was dead. The international community had found cheaper, more plentiful sources such as Egypt to compensate for the blockade on the South.

Their meager industry was damaged heavily by the War, and the massive loss of life would have left them with a large gap in the generations, with a large amount of young men all dead wounded.

The slaves would have most likely revolted, having had such a taste of Freedom as the Emancipation Proclamation. Even if they had been successful in putting down these revolts, more would have dead, meaning there would be even less young men to draw from for such critcal tasks as the army, police force, government, etc.

The South had been stripped dry by the foraging of both armies, and the seizure of civilian supplies for army needs. Multiple invasions by the North mean many cities lay in ruins, Vicksburg balsted by shelling, Atlanta a raging inferno, etc.

In short, the South might have lasted a decade at most before crawling back to the Union on their knees.

EDIT: As well, the international community would not have traded with the Confederacy, due to the negative stigma of trading with a slaver nation.
Last edited by The Taryegeans on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:46 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:the majority of those who fought in the civil war for the south did not own slaves, neither did the generals. The north didnt give a rats ass about the blacks in the south. And what the south did after the war is in now way a reflection of the south before the war, and as previously stated if you wana argue that it was all about slavery this post is not for you.

Trimmed out the quote tree to fix the tag issue. And the war was totally about slavery, given how prominent and frequent the mentions of slavery were in the secession documents, the new constitution, and various speeches by the leaders of the Confederacy.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:47 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:the majority of those who fought in the civil war for the south did not own slaves, neither did the generals. The north didnt give a rats ass about the blacks in the south. And what the south did after the war is in now way a reflection of the south before the war, and as previously stated if you wana argue that it was all about slavery this post is not for you.

Only correcting you misconception of how the South was fighting for something besides slavery and them have a Hissy Fit over losing a legitimate election.

Who is Tom Joad?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 pm

If the Rebels had won the war then there would be no American nation.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm

I'd be a different sort of disgruntled anarchist who approves of the better American Republic, but a disgruntled anarchist nonetheless. Just like now.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

New Sparta 1309
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sparta 1309 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm

I can tell this post is going off track allready. As the majority of the posts have allready been about slavery which I asked be left out of the conversation because that shows me you have not studdied the war beyond what you learned in school. To bad this could have been intresting.

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Genivaria wrote:If the Rebels had won the war then there would be no American nation.

Why not, technically, every nation in the Americas is an american nation

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Genivaria wrote:If the Rebels had won the war then there would be no American nation.

How so? Would the Union have disappeared without the South? Then what was that entity that invaded them?
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:I can tell this post is going off track allready. As the majority of the posts have allready been about slavery which I asked be left out of the conversation because that shows me you have not studdied the war beyond what you learned in school. To bad this could have been intresting.

You want us to discuss an historical hypothetical, while ignoring the historical realty of the object/event you are talking about. I don't see how that is supposed to work.

Who is Tom Joad?

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:52 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:I can tell this post is going off track allready. As the majority of the posts have allready been about slavery which I asked be left out of the conversation because that shows me you have not studdied the war beyond what you learned in school. To bad this could have been intresting.

:palm: the only reason they succeeded was because of slavery, it's like saying"guys, like talk about what would happen if Germany had won ww2, but don't mention what they would do to Jews or Slavs, now discuss"

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Imagine a world where there were no hypotheticals. ;)
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Rejaina
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejaina » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:This post is intended to be a serious historical discussion of the events that could have transpired had the Confederate States proved victorious in the civil war. Lets please keep this civil and on topic. If you intend to post something along the lines of "there would have been slavery forever" or "they’d be just like the Nazis" then I believe this post is not for you as that shows you really don’t understand the causes behind the civil war. Let’s start of how things go immediately following the end of the war, me personally I think that Robert E.Lee would have become the president following Jefferson Davis and that he would have begun the process of manumitting the slaves.

I would be a slave right now
Pohlmania is the place for you. There is an actually world map and new Regional Issues everyday that require new Rp tactics and relation building. Join Pohlmania and you can choose a RL nation to embody (Whether it's and African nation or a European territory). Join Pohlmania Today! for the hell of it.
Pohlmanian Global

Eugene Ratings: A+
Duff & Phelps Credit Ratings: CCC

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General