NATION

PASSWORD

Smoke Free and Die Hard

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

So, Still Wanting to Ban Smoking?

Yes
37%
No
48%
This is a Loaded Question
14%

Total votes : 97

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Smoke Free and Die Hard

Postby Forsher » Sat May 05, 2012 7:18 pm

http://tvnz.co.nz/politics-news/turia-wants-smoking-outlawed-4865899 The Maori Party, whose continued existence is really down to the dubious Maori Seats policy, has an interesting proposal. Many of you may recognise me for my hard line on smoking, well within reason. So it shouldn't surpirse you that I agree with outlawing smoking, or, at the very least, its sale.

She said the Maori Party's aim is to stop the uptake of smoking and she believes that is beginning to work with the biggest drop in the numbers of young people taking up cigarette smoking in the last three years.

You have to have somewhere to start and this really is it. People often bring up Prohibition and its consequences when discussing the banning of smoking, without realising that the circumstances are usually totally different. Yootwopia has made a name in recent months for himself by arguing that history doesn't repeat because it is never exactly the same each time. Normally I say that you must look at the wider scale to see the repetition but in some cases the smaller details warp that completely.

Die Smoking revealed the laziness of the people who brought this type of thing up.* Whether it was the first incarnation, the revival or the gravedig people misunderstood what was being proposed, completely. This was despite my telling them exactly what was happening, the OP did the same with a similar lack of success. Still people kept bringing up Prohibition or why not ban alcohol as well? The latter case may just be a sign of their ignorance of laws in NZ because the same ban proposed in that thread already applies to alcohol.

Anyway, in this case the ban is gradual. The idea is to reduce the number of smokers and reduce the number who pick it up. To this end, price hikes (a 20 pack is $13 or more, for some brands, at some supermarkets, already) and plain packaging will be useful. Also, the continued funding of Smoking, Not Our Future and Quitline type things are necessary. The social rejection necessary is well underway and the association of smoking with bad is achieved already. It may be useful to achieve smoker = bad, I'm not sure if the benefits will outweigh the generalisation.

I have seen the OP of Die Smoking propose capital punishment for smoking. This was misconstrued by essentially everyone (especially borderline trolls, as one would expect). They had made it illegal and by the time the punishment would have been implemented an extensive programme of rehabilitation and anti-smoking campaigns had already been in place. The eventual result, I think, is too intense. However, the steps that they had in place prior to this were entirely sensible and probably a good idea. I would replace capital punishment with jail time. (Smoking is already illegal inside. Get it?)

Dr George Thompson, the lead author of a tobacco report in February, said "incremental efforts" are not working quickly to achieve the 2025 smoke-free target.

Well, we still have thirteen years and a lot can change in that time. To use a soccer game as an analogy, Team A is behind 3-0 with, at most, thirteen minutes left. The game finished 3-3, no-one could have predicted that outcome.

I think that following Australia's lead and going with plain packaging may count for one of those goals. Getting a better public broadcasting system could be another. The final goal may be anything, it could be insane price hikes...

So, do you support a ban on smoking? How would you go about it? What are your general views on it? Please be sensible.

*That is to say they persisted in that behaviour. They just never bothered to appreciate the difference between the case of Die Smoking and Prohibition or the invalid nature of why not alcohol? Publicly at any rate.
Last edited by Forsher on Sun May 06, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat May 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Prohibition doesn't work. End of.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat May 05, 2012 7:23 pm

No, I don't support a ban on smoking. Smoking should be encouraged, or at least not demonized. People should stop being such tight asses about it.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat May 05, 2012 7:24 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:Prohibition doesn't work. End of.

Did you decided to make this a thread about alcohol or did you not bother to read that properly? I hope it's the former.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat May 05, 2012 7:24 pm

Trollgaard wrote:No, I don't support a ban on smoking. Smoking should be encouraged, or at least not demonized. People should stop being such tight asses about it.

Fuck no.

But it's not really up to me to decide whether you want to slowly poison yourself or not.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Forsher wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:Prohibition doesn't work. End of.

Did you decided to make this a thread about alcohol or did you not bother to read that properly? I hope it's the former.

Prohibition does not work. PERIOD. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs. If anything it would only hurt your cause.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:No, I don't support a ban on smoking. Smoking should be encouraged, or at least not demonized. People should stop being such tight asses about it.

Fuck no.

But it's not really up to me to decide whether you want to slowly poison yourself or not.

What about whether or not one wants to poison other people as well?

That reminds me, not all arguments presented in Die Smoking were stupid. Some had some merit.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat May 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Forsher wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Fuck no.

That reminds me, not all arguments presented in Die Smoking were stupid. Some had some merit.

And here we go again. Second hand smoking isn't that big of a deal. Get over it and stop being so anal about it.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sat May 05, 2012 7:29 pm

you'd jail people for smoking? really?
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat May 05, 2012 7:30 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Prohibition does not work. PERIOD. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs. If anything it would only hurt your cause.

Great, it was the latter.

Look at what is being proposed, properly.

Prohibition was different to the ideas proposed in the OP and the policies that we, as a country, have adopted. The only similarity is that something ends up banned. And before someone decides that smuggling is a serious possibility, NZ is an island a long way from the rest of the world with intensive policing already.

Mr Bananagrabber
Minister

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mr Bananagrabber » Sat May 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Got to admit, I was very confused for a while. In scanning the OP my brain filled in "Mario party" rather than "Maori party". :?
"I guess it would just be a guy who, you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or a banana that grabs things. I don't know. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer."

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat May 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Forsher wrote:Look at what is being proposed, properly.

:eyebrow: You are suggesting something other than banning smoking?

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat May 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Forsher wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:Prohibition does not work. PERIOD. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs. If anything it would only hurt your cause.

Prohibition was different to the ideas proposed in the OP and the policies that we, as a country, have adopted. The only similarity is that something ends up banned. And before someone decides that smuggling is a serious possibility, NZ is an island a long way from the rest of the world with intensive policing already.

What about people growing tobacco in NZ? Pretty much like the days of Prohibition, people were making bath-tub booze.

Burgicis
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Burgicis » Sat May 05, 2012 7:34 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:you'd jail people for smoking? really?

Yes. Some people just don't realise how harmful it is

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat May 05, 2012 7:35 pm

It's better than hanging them, right?

And to be entirely fair, it has:

• been made illegal
  • there was a decade long and intense anti-smoking initiative
  • it was a minority habit at the start of the period
  • up-take had already dropped off as well
  • many/most other crimes have jail terms'
  • it is probably the best place for them, in terms of rehabilitation

Trollgaard wrote:
Forsher wrote:

And here we go again. Second hand smoking isn't that big of a deal. Get over it and stop being so anal about it.

Source?

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sat May 05, 2012 7:38 pm

I don't like smoking because the smoke makes my airways constrict and it smells awful, but I don't want it banned. I want people to smoke in areas where they're not affecting anyone else.

Why the fuck should smoking be encouraged?
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Sat May 05, 2012 7:39 pm

This is coming from someone who had to have a stomach stapling operation a couple of years ago? Like she should be dictating about what people put inside their bodies. Perhaps the fat bitch might learn what hypocrisy means.

Cruciland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cruciland » Sat May 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Smoking has carcinogens in it, which causes lung and heart cancer. Aye- even marijuana, should it be smoked, can still cause cancer. In fact, it's been reported to have MORE tar than cigars. Smoking, in all, should be banned. As Yellowapple even mentioned before, secondhand smoking is polluting innocent bystanders, leading to a mild form of "chemical terrorism." With the chemicals, unlike needles and pills, able to physically harm others too, smoking is by far the most damaging way to get high for society.

Thus, I command Earth to obey to the will of common sense.
THREADS SINGLE-HANDEDLY KILLED: 29 | Beliefs IBeliefs IIBeliefs III
Crucilandians - Old Capital - New Capital | A 4.8 civilization, according to this index.
Socialdemokraterne wrote:If the absence of secularism wasn't enough to scare our people, the rate of which the doomsday button is pressed by them sure settled the matter.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Cruciland, I just want to say, your nation is frightening.

The Inevitable Syndicate wrote:My advice to you, dear Gordano-Lysandus, is to run. Or hide. Maybe not hiding, because the Crucilandians will find you, and by their god, you will be assimilated.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat May 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Mr Bananagrabber wrote:Got to admit, I was very confused for a while. In scanning the OP my brain filled in "Mario party" rather than "Maori party". :?

Oh dear, some would say it makes as much sense.

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Forsher wrote:Look at what is being proposed, properly.

:eyebrow: You are suggesting something other than banning smoking?

Now, that isn't the result I expected. Please read, again and identify any bits you would contest. I think, in your case, a systematic approach will be best. Otherwise I will just keep saying the same thing, not knowing what troubles you.

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Forsher wrote:

What about people growing tobacco in NZ? Pretty much like the days of Prohibition, people were making bath-tub booze.

Yes, this is a good point. I will check if it grows easily here (I have to go for a bit) and then come back to this, for now though:
  • it may only be the sale, I'd prefer not personally
  • I imagine we'd use the same tactics that we do for cannibus
  • hopefully there won't be anyone willing to do this given that there will be, in my personal plan, programmes to help them
  • (related to the previous point) this is a long, sustained and gradual programme not sudden

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Sat May 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Who would want to die as me?
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Sat May 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Second hand smoke is goddamn annoying. Cigarette smoke makes my eyes water and my throat hurt. If I accidentally inhale too much of someone's cigarette smoke (like get a good quarter-lungful) it makes breahing mildly painful for me for several hours.

Why in the goddamn hell would anyone encourage smoking if they weren't a tobacco company stakeholder?
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli
In nearly every respect, the automobile peaked in the 1980s.
Your waifu loves Morshu!

Cirona
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cirona » Sat May 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Forsher wrote:What about whether or not one wants to poison other people as well?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/indonesia/9138288/Eight-year-old-Indonesian-boy-smokes-two-packs-of-cigarettes-a-day.html

Smoking kills at least 400,000 people in Indonesia every year and another 25,000 die from passive smoking.

Okay, 400 000 people deserve their destiny. The other 25 000 were innocent. Not so much of a big deal, huh?

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sat May 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Forsher wrote:

It's better than hanging them, right?

And to be entirely fair, it has:

• been made illegal
  • there was a decade long and intense anti-smoking initiative
  • it was a minority habit at the start of the period
  • up-take had already dropped off as well
  • many/most other crimes have jail terms'
  • it is probably the best place for them, in terms of rehabilitation

so you consider being stubborn to be worthy of a jail sentence! jesus, I thought saudi arabia was oppressive.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Sat May 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Cruciland wrote:Smoking has carcinogens in it, which causes lung and heart cancer. Aye- even marijuana, should it be smoked, can still cause cancer. In fact, it's been reported to have MORE tar than cigars. Smoking, in all, should be banned. As Yellowapple even mentioned before, secondhand smoking is polluting innocent bystanders, leading to a mild form of "chemical terrorism." With the chemicals, unlike needles and pills, able to physically harm others too, smoking is by far the most damaging way to get high for society.

Thus, I command Earth to obey to the will of common sense.

Alcohol also has adverse affects both on the consumer and on others (read drink driving, alcohol related domestic violence etc.). Should it be banned also?

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat May 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Forsher wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote: :eyebrow: You are suggesting something other than banning smoking?

Now, that isn't the result I expected. Please read, again and identify any bits you would contest. I think, in your case, a systematic approach will be best. Otherwise I will just keep saying the same thing, not knowing what troubles you.

Ok, I'm confused. I've read the OP like three times, and I keep coming up with you proposing a prohibition.
Last edited by The Murtunian Tribes on Sat May 05, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General