NATION

PASSWORD

Is There a God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:
Person012345 wrote:What caused God?

God was originally a man, living in some other Universe. Then, he died and got exalted into godhood. Now he's God, or our god at least.

The Emperor protects.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Nordengrund wrote:God created us because he loves us and enjoys creating things, the Big Bang seems to have happened for no reason unless God caused it.

What if God created us for no reason?

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Y'all have treated me badly, but as a Christian, I will not seek vengeance, instead I shall turn the other cheek and pray for both of you.
1 John 1:9

Magmia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Magmia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Magmia wrote:An argument used is that God created time, and time only applies to the universe (his creation). Therefore, God is not bound to the limitations of time, so he requires no cause of his existence.

And why can't that happen with the universe itself, eliminating the middle being? Why does there have to be a God?

A question someone has yet to answer.

Until an reasonable explanation from science exists, to many, a Designer is a reasonable explanation

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Nordengrund wrote:Y'all have treated me badly, but as a Christian, I will not seek vengeance, instead I shall turn the other cheek and pray for both of you.

You truly need to make up your mind.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Nordengrund wrote:Y'all have treated me badly, but as a Christian, I will not seek vengeance, instead I shall turn the other cheek and pray for both of you.

Praying for us is seeking vengeance.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Magmia wrote:Until an reasonable explanation from science exists, to many, a Designer is a reasonable explanation

That doesn't answer my question. Why?

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm honestly starting to think you might be a parody account
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Challenging your beliefs =/= treating you badly. It's funny that you resort you such silly comments when you run out of arguments.

Tell me, why are you a christian, what convinced you that god was real?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Alikhaa wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
That's not Global flooding.

It could certainly seem like it, and it could have contributed to it. It's foolish to pretend we've got the entire history of the earth figured out. That's a very, very, very long time.

There wasn't enough water locked up in the Ice to flood the entire world to a depth that would wipe out as much life as Genesis claims. There was enough to raise sea levels substantially in coastal areas. Coasts are good places to live, you have resources in the water, resources on the shore. Then the Ice melts and over time your very lovely place to live is flooded. "Tell us the story about the flood again, grand-dad." "Well, back in my grand-dad's grand-dad's day, we use to live in a lovely garden, with food all around ... And then the gods were angry with the people and sent the waters to wipe us out ..."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Magmia wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:
And why can't that happen with the universe itself, eliminating the middle being? Why does there have to be a God?

A question someone has yet to answer.

Until an reasonable explanation from science exists, to many, a Designer is a reasonable explanation

We have dozens of reasonable explanations, and more will surface.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Honey, y'all will know when we've treated you badly, we'll be banned and your head will be swimming. Trust me, the History Channel is not a reliable source for much of anything. Try your local library.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Magmia wrote:Until an reasonable explanation from science exists, to many, a Designer is a reasonable explanation

And none involve a "designer."

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

And none involve a "designer."

I don't know, maybe we could hire Pierre Cardin or someone like that.

Magmia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Magmia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

Why? Because to some, there is no other explanation as to why the Big Bang occured, or the complexity of the Big Bang itself.
Last edited by Magmia on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And none involve a "designer."

I'd prefer a team from Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Edinburgh, a few other places like that.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Magmia wrote:Why? Because to some, there is no other explanation as to why the Big Bang occured, or the complexity of the Big Bang itself.

Why can't there be? This is what everyone fails to answer.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Magmia wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Why? Because to some, there is no other explanation as to why the Big Bang occured, or the complexity of the Big Bang itself.

Then they're intellectually lazy and obviously let their bias block their ability to use critical thinking skills. If they refuse to read about scientific explanations, and then scream, "SEE! SCIENCE CAN'T ANSWER IT!" then that's their choice to be ignorant.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

I'd prefer a team from Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Edinburgh, a few other places like that.

You forgot MIT. I am disappoint.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Too boring. Fashion sense! :lol:

Magmia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Magmia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Magmia wrote:Why? Because to some, there is no other explanation as to why the Big Bang occured, or the complexity of the Big Bang itself.

Because to many, that simply does not make any sense, that the Big Bang just randomly happened with no explanation.
Last edited by Magmia on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Magmia wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Because to many, that simply does not make any sense, that the creation of the universe just randomly happen with no explanation.

So they're closed-minded.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Magmia wrote:Because to many, that simply does not make any sense, that the creation of the universe just randomly happen with no explanation.

Why does there have to be a sense?

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

Who said there ever even was a big bang in the first place? It's just some crap you read out of a textbook as a third grader and you sucked it in. If it read in that textbook that a massive tidal wave caused by raining pandas had been "nearly proven" by scientists, you'd have accepted it just as well. CERN made "big bang-sized" reactions in searching for the Higgs. They certainly don't have another few universes lying around.
Last edited by The New World Oceania on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Magmia wrote:Because to many, that simply does not make any sense, that the creation of the universe just randomly happen with no explanation.

So they're closed-minded.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. *nods*

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General