NATION

PASSWORD

Is There a God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Fontoria wrote:I belive there is one god, but Thor and that lot existed aswell! Not as gods though.

I belive Thor, Mohhamed, Jesus, and other Norse gods are messengers to spread the word of god (like the islam faith belives) and that god gave them powers (IE Thor to control thunder, Jesus to do healing and general amazing stuff and so on) so they could prove themselves to be what they say they are.

Poe I guess?

Alikhaa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alikhaa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Ajax Prime wrote:I honestly don't see the difference. I am Christian, but I believe that if I put my faith in "god" (beit God or Allah), then how I practice my faith will not matter. So long as I admit there is a god and he has my everlasting faith.

But that's not what the Quran says. Nor is it what the bible says. Yahweh gets pretty pissed off if you don't worship him specifically and when you do things he tells you not to. So does Allah. So really, you're taking the same risk that we atheists are.

Edit: I'm aware that they're supposed to be the same, but the mythologies and demands are quite different and you're going to hell under both of them if you don't follow.

This is not precisely true. When it comes to Islam at least, it never says that non Muslims cannot go to paradise. It mentions the people of paradise over and over as 'those who believe and do good works'. At one point it actually states directly that practicing Jews and Christians can also go to paradise.
May God forgive me if I've written anything incorrect, rude, or harmful in any way.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Fontoria wrote:I belive there is one god, but Thor and that lot existed aswell! Not as gods though.

I belive Thor, Mohhamed, Jesus, and other Norse gods are messengers to spread the word of god (like the islam faith belives) and that god gave them powers (IE Thor to control thunder, Jesus to do healing and general amazing stuff and so on) so they could prove themselves to be what they say they are.

Yahweh gave Thor powers? How is the tribal god of Benjamin connected to the Norse god of thunder?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 pm

If you're asking if I believe in the archetype of a humanoid being with endless supernatural powers, the answer is no.
Last edited by The Truth and Light on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:52 pm

I have a similar belief. I believe God is the one true God and Jesus is the Messiah, but the other gods were extraterrestrials who did not sin, so they were perfect and taught the humans. I think God told them to leave Earth because he did not want these ancient aliens to be tainted with sin.
1 John 1:9

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Nordengrund wrote:

I have a similar belief. I believe God is the one true God and Jesus is the Messiah, but the other gods were extraterrestrials who did not sin, so they were perfect and taught the humans. I think God told them to leave Earth because he did not want these ancient aliens to be tainted with sin.

Could it be that, just as Jesus left no trace of evidence for his existence, neither did Thor or Athena or whoever else?

Magmia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Magmia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Nordengrund wrote:

Or maybe humans just have really good imaginations

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Alikhaa wrote:
Person012345 wrote:But that's not what the Quran says. Nor is it what the bible says. Yahweh gets pretty pissed off if you don't worship him specifically and when you do things he tells you not to. So does Allah. So really, you're taking the same risk that we atheists are.

Edit: I'm aware that they're supposed to be the same, but the mythologies and demands are quite different and you're going to hell under both of them if you don't follow.

This is not precisely true. When it comes to Islam at least, it never says that non Muslims cannot go to paradise. It mentions the people of paradise over and over as 'those who believe and do good works'. At one point it actually states directly that practicing Jews and Christians can also go to paradise.

5:12 Allah made a covenant of old with the Children of Israel and We raised among them twelve chieftains, and Allah said: Lo! I am with you. If ye establish worship and pay the poor-due, and believe in My messengers and support them, and lend unto Allah a kindly loan, surely I shall remit your sins, and surely I shall bring you into Gardens underneath which rivers flow. Whoso among you disbelieveth after this will go astray from a plain road.

5:13 And because of their breaking their covenant, We have cursed them and made hard their hearts. They change words from their context and forget a part of that whereof they were admonished. Thou wilt not cease to discover treachery from all save a few of them. But bear with them and pardon them. Lo! Allah loveth the kindly.

5:14 And with those who say: "Lo! we are Christians," We made a covenant, but they forgot a part of that whereof they were admonished. Therefor We have stirred up enmity and hatred among them till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will inform them of their handiwork.

?

Alikhaa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alikhaa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:00 pm

You couldn't find any verses where it says they go to hell, could you?

It's basically just stating how the past religions were changed by their followers, parts forgotten and parts mixed-up, and how those followers are not on the best path due to those errors. This is why it was re-revealed to Muhammed (peace be upon him).
Last edited by Alikhaa on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May God forgive me if I've written anything incorrect, rude, or harmful in any way.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Alikhaa wrote:You couldn't find any verses where it says they go to hell, could you?

I'm not a quranic scholar. :lol:

I mean, it does seem to imply it, and at least it implies that they are unbelievers does it not (which of course the quran does talk about going to hell)?

Soviet New Romania
Secretary

Founded: Jul 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet New Romania » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:03 pm

The more popular the lie, the more believable it is.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Alikhaa wrote:It's basically just stating how the past religions were changed by their followers, parts forgotten and parts mixed-up, and how those followers are not on the best path due to those errors. This is why it was re-revealed to Muhammed (peace be upon him).

We have stirred up enmity and hatred among them till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will inform them of their handiwork.

It also says that almost all jews are treacherous?
Last edited by Person012345 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Magmia wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

Or maybe humans just have really good imaginations

Could be but I have been studying mythology around the world and cultures that are nothing alike and are on the other side of the world share many common themes. Also, the gods (particularly Aztec, Anasazi, and Mesopotamian gods) are said to be from space and wear space gear.
1 John 1:9

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Alikhaa wrote:You couldn't find any verses where it says they go to hell, could you?

It's basically just stating how the past religions were changed by their followers, parts forgotten and parts mixed-up, and how those followers are not on the best path due to those errors. This is why it was re-revealed to Muhammed (peace be upon him).

It uses very harsh language in reference to the ways of the Dhimmi. The real issue here, however, is what the Qu'ran says elsewhere as to how people are punished for corrupting the messages of Allah. (Who, by the way, was originally a Pagan god, as was YHWH)

So, I'd be interested if someone more knowledgeable of the Qu'ran than me could provide me with some verses.
Last edited by The Truth and Light on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm not well versed in the quran personally, I know more about the bible.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Magmia wrote:Or maybe humans just have really good imaginations

Could be but I have been studying mythology around the world and cultures that are nothing alike and are on the other side of the world share many common themes. Also, the gods (particularly Aztec, Anasazi, and Mesopotamian gods) are said to be from space and wear space gear.

That's nice. Give some evidence.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Person012345 wrote:I'm not well versed in the quran personally, I know more about the bible.

I think Qu'ranic study is a good investment of time, since Islam is still growing and spreading. I'm currently giving it a read-through.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:08 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

Could it be that, just as Jesus left no trace of evidence for his existence, neither did Thor or Athena or whoever else?

Thor has been living on a commune in Northern California since the mid-60s. Athy was at CERN for a while but once the LHC was up and running, she took some time off. Said she was going to work on her weaving or something.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

That's nice. Give some evidence.

Yes, please, amd the names of the people you've been reading.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Person012345 wrote:I'm not well versed in the quran personally, I know more about the bible.

I think Qu'ranic study is a good investment of time, since Islam is still growing and spreading. I'm currently giving it a read-through.

I wish people would spend it reading good literature or reading on science. A guy can dream.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:Could it be that, just as Jesus left no trace of evidence for his existence, neither did Thor or Athena or whoever else?

Thor has been living on a commune in Northern California since the mid-60s. Athy was at CERN for a while but once the LHC was up and running, she took some time off. Said she was going to work on her weaving or something.

Immortality sucks when the humans who worship you die off.

Magmia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Magmia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Quran (5:33) - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement"

The first part is disgusting enough, but the last part answers your question

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:I think Qu'ranic study is a good investment of time, since Islam is still growing and spreading. I'm currently giving it a read-through.

I wish people would spend it reading good literature or reading on science. A guy can dream.

I was gonna say, there are other books I believe are more worth my time and less boring. Also, less depressing. If I'm reading some fantasy book at least it's not in the back of my mind that people actually believe it.

Alikhaa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alikhaa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm

It uses very harsh language in reference to the ways of the Dhimmi. The real issue here, however, is what the Qu'ran says elsewhere as to how people are punished for corrupting the messages of Allah. (Who, by the way, was originally a Pagan god, as was YHWH)

Allah means 'The God' in Arabic. It comes from Al (the) and Illah (God). The word had been around for a very long time, and devolved into a more pagan understanding before revelation came to Muhammed (peace be upon him), but it did not originate as the name of a pagan god.

And harsh language does not equate hell fire. Someone following a corrupted message, purely out of ignorance and sincere faith, is not at fault - the one at fault is the one who corrupted the message, and no doubt that person will be justly rewarded.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:I think Qu'ranic study is a good investment of time, since Islam is still growing and spreading. I'm currently giving it a read-through.

The Bible and the Qu'ran provide archetypes in their base form, and contain important cultural myths. That said, people should only read those if it serves them, and I do agree the scientific literature is much more invigorating.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General