NATION

PASSWORD

Is There a God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:Who said there ever even was a big bang in the first place? It's just some crap you read out of a textbook in third grader and you sucked it in. If it read in that textbook that a massive tidal wave caused by raining pandas had been "nearly proven" by scientists, you'd have accepted it just as well.

Obviously, I haven't accepted the Bible or the Qu'ran, and I could have read them too. Why do you?

Magmia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Magmia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Magmia wrote:Because to many, that simply does not make any sense, that the creation of the universe just randomly happen with no explanation.

Why does there have to be a sense?

Because; does it really seem reasonable to believe that such a complex event occured simply be accident? If I were to believe in such a thing for the sake that belief in a God is unreasonable, then the alternative must make sense.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Magmia wrote:Because; does it really seem reasonable to believe that such a complex event occured simply be accident?

Yes.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Magmia wrote:Because; does it really seem reasonable to believe that such a complex event occured simply be accident? If I were to believe in such a thing for the sake that belief in a God is unreasonable, then the alternative must make sense.

Science doesn't pander to your refusal to accept facts. It doesn't care what makes sense to you.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:Who said there ever even was a big bang in the first place? It's just some crap you read out of a textbook as a third grader and you sucked it in. If it read in that textbook that a massive tidal wave caused by raining pandas had been "nearly proven" by scientists, you'd have accepted it just as well. CERN made "big bang-sized" reactions in searching for the Higgs. They certainly don't have another few universes lying around.

This is so factually wrong it's not funny. Are you aware of the universal redshift?

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
The New World Oceania wrote:Who said there ever even was a big bang in the first place? It's just some crap you read out of a textbook in third grader and you sucked it in. If it read in that textbook that a massive tidal wave caused by raining pandas had been "nearly proven" by scientists, you'd have accepted it just as well.

Obviously, I haven't accepted the Bible or the Qu'ran, and I could have read them too. Why do you?

I accept the Bible as much as I accept a distorted book translated from German by a student learning Norwegian, and I don't intend to silence the non-believers in the name of Allah, either.
Why do you believe in Atheism and said big bang?
Because the idea of God is preposterous.
The idea of no God is preposterous, and the idea of the mainstream-Christian God is even further preposterous.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:08 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:I accept the Bible as much as I accept a distorted book translated from German by a student learning Norwegian, and I don't intend to silence the non-believers in the name of Allah, either.
The idea of no God is preposterous, and the idea of the mainstream-Christian God is even further preposterous.

Oh gods, you don't know the meaning of atheism.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I'd prefer a team from Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Edinburgh, a few other places like that.

You forgot MIT. I am disappoint.

Hey, I do the best I can. Feel free to nominate additional members of the Human (Re)Design Project.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Osterasia
Civilian

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Osterasia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:08 pm

You need to be careful around here. While some people believe there is a god, I think it's unlikely as it was something people required to believe in the explain things. These days we are generally more rational than we were (.e.g. No floggings/execution for adultery).

I'm technically a Catholic, but honestly I'm agnostic. We don't need a god, but neither do we need many things, so we can't really rule it out. That's why I hate some atheists who just say: There is no god end of. They can't tell, neither can the religious.

Do what Clement Attle did - live to a set of morals, but not to a set of stories.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Magmia wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:
Why does there have to be a sense?

Because; does it really seem reasonable to believe that such a complex event occured simply be accident? If I were to believe in such a thing for the sake that belief in a God is unreasonable, then the alternative must make sense.

seems unreasonable =/= is untrue. It's an argument from incredulity. And a god is infinitely more complex that the universe.
I'm gonna post this again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

I recommend you watch it if you want to learn. It's interesting.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Person012345 wrote:
The New World Oceania wrote:Who said there ever even was a big bang in the first place? It's just some crap you read out of a textbook as a third grader and you sucked it in. If it read in that textbook that a massive tidal wave caused by raining pandas had been "nearly proven" by scientists, you'd have accepted it just as well. CERN made "big bang-sized" reactions in searching for the Higgs. They certainly don't have another few universes lying around.

This is so factually wrong it's not funny. Are you aware of the universal redshift?

If by this you refer to expansion of the Universe, wave-particle duality is your answer. I shift a particle, it sends off some eternal waves, and the universe expands.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:09 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:I accept the Bible as much as I accept a distorted book translated from German by a student learning Norwegian, and I don't intend to silence the non-believers in the name of Allah, either.

I don't believe in atheism. Atheism isn't a religion. Also, there apparently is evidence.

The New World Oceania wrote:The idea of no God is preposterous, and the idea of the mainstream-Christian God is even further preposterous.

Why is no God preposterous?

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:09 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

I accept the Bible as much as I accept a distorted book translated from German by a student learning Norwegian, and I don't intend to silence the non-believers in the name of Allah, either.

"Why do you believe in atheism" is a malformed question. The question is "why do you not believe in a god". To which the answer is "there's not evidence", not that it's preposterous.

Magmia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Magmia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Magmia wrote:Because; does it really seem reasonable to believe that such a complex event occured simply be accident?

Yes.

And that right there is the problem, and why Theists and Non-Theists will always be divided.

To us, such thinking is a contradiction to reason, and Non-Theists find it perfectly acceptable.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Person012345 wrote:

Apparently not, nor aware of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation or whatever it's called.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Person012345 wrote:This is so factually wrong it's not funny. Are you aware of the universal redshift?

If by this you refer to expansion of the Universe, wave-particle duality is your answer. I shift a particle, it sends off some eternal waves, and the universe expands.

That doesn't make sense. I strongly recommend you don't attempt to argue quite complicated science if you don't know what you're talking about.

Do you understand how the doppler effect works?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:If by this you refer to expansion of the Universe, wave-particle duality is your answer. I shift a particle, it sends off some eternal waves, and the universe expands.

You do realize that has nothing to do with the expansion of the universe, right?

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Magmia wrote:And that right there is the problem, and why Theists and Non-Theists will always be divided.

To us, such thinking is a contradiction to reason, and Non-Theists find it perfectly acceptable.

You're explaining to me something I already know. You're not answering the questions I pose.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Magmia wrote:And that right there is the problem, and why Theists and Non-Theists will always be divided.

There is no reason in religion.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Person012345 wrote:This is so factually wrong it's not funny. Are you aware of the universal redshift?

Apparently not, nor aware of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation or whatever it's called.

This too.

Oceania, it would perhaps benefit you to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Apparently not, nor aware of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation or whatever it's called.

This too.

Oceania, it would perhaps benefit you to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

Thank you for posting this, I grew tired of doing it myself. I put you officially in charge of providing that video. *nods*

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Person012345 wrote:This too.

Thank you for posting this, I grew tired of doing it myself. I put you officially in charge of providing that video. *nods*

I shall do my duty.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

The big bang is pure observation.

1: Every observable object in the universe is moving
2: Every observable object in the universe is moving away from a central area
3: The laws of physics appear to have stayed the same for the amount of time it would take for all of those moving objects to have gotten to where they are from that central area.
4: Therefore, every observable object in the universe was once in that central area, and then expanded outwards.
That's the big bang in a nutshell.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:I don't believe in atheism. Atheism isn't a religion. Also, there apparently is evidence.
Why is no God preposterous?

Your opinion on Atheism is not shared by all, there is also evidence against the big bang, and the lack of God holds preposterous because of the proof of God, rather than the... Double-plus unproof.

Tlaceceyaya wrote:1: Every observable object in the universe is moving
2: Every observable object in the universe is moving away from a central area
3: The laws of physics appear to have stayed the same for the amount of time it would take for all of those moving objects to have gotten to where they are from that central area.
4: Therefore, every observable object in the universe was once in that central area, and then expanded outwards.
That's the big bang in a nutshell.

Center of Universe: left, next twelve light-years.
"Damn it! The sign's outdated!"
Last edited by The New World Oceania on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Alikhaa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alikhaa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Alikhaa wrote:
It could certainly seem like it, and it could have contributed to it. It's foolish to pretend we've got the entire history of the earth figured out. That's a very, very, very long time.

It's foolish to say that because we don't know every detail, therefore global flooding definitely happened. Step down from your high horse pretending like things happened just because you say they did.

That's hardly what I said. I said that there are many reasons that it could have happened. Relax a little.
May God forgive me if I've written anything incorrect, rude, or harmful in any way.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General