NATION

PASSWORD

What my fellow Americans think about same-sex marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do my fellow Americans think about same-sex marriage?

I am American and I am against same sex marriage and civil unions.
11%
I am American and I am against same sex marriage but support civil unions
14%
I am American and I am in favor of same sex marriage
74%

Total votes : 209

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Genivaria wrote:Is it ok if a Church refuses to marry Jennifer and Tyrone?

You aren't asking me, but I am going to say yes. No private organization should be required to marry anyone they don't want to.

Catholic Priests don't have to marry non-Catholics. I as an ordained minister (and Mega Pope) am not required to marry anyone I do not want to.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote: I as an ordained minister (and Mega Pope) am not required to marry anyone I do not want to.

Can you marry me to my computer? I'm looking forward to having cyborg powers...
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Seperates wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Is it ok if a Church refuses to marry Jennifer and Tyrone?

But it's fine... because Jennifer and Tyrone can apply for a civil union.

Or a marriage... it's not like every religious organization out there is a single uni-mind.
Such heroic nonsense!

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Seperates wrote:Can you marry me to my computer? I'm looking forward to having cyborg powers...

I can spiritually marry you.

I can't legally marry you (that I'm aware of.)

And I can't power-ically marry you... because that's not even a word.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Seperates wrote:Can you marry me to my computer? I'm looking forward to having cyborg powers...

Bullocks... I'll just have to wait...
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

The Cummunist State
Minister

Founded: Sep 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cummunist State » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Seperates wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:

See, if my Technocracy was real, we'd be doing that shit all the time. But NOOOOO. Technocracies are frowned upon!
"Harry slammed his book shut! It wasn't really a book, because the pages were made of lasers! And the words were made of headless women making godless love to dragons made out of motorcycles. But it was still reading."
My Real flag (For roleplaying purposes) It may look badly photoshopped, but damnit that's what it really looks like.
I'm your local gay furry black jewish Atheist KKK member. Roll in the Hate.
(in all seriousness, I am Bisexual, Furry, and Atheist)

"I'm just like you
Better than He!
To hell with They!!
I'm almost me!
I'm almost a human being!"
--Voltaire

Wisconsin7
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin7 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 pm

Acuastria wrote:Personally I think that marriage should be between one man and one woman and that homosexuality is unnatural. But what do you guys and girls think about the issue?

Eating the flesh of cows slaughtered in the thousands and drinking the milk of the ones they didn't kill is unnatural, but does that mean you're going to stop, or that you deserve less rights because of it?
Didn't think so.
And besides, why can't we all just admit that we're all humans? It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight, black or white, male or female. It doesn't matter what gods or goddesses you believe in or don't. Political party differences and age don't matter. Just because the person next door roots for a different football team or doesn't eat meat doesn't mean you can't get along. Our differences make us strong and unique, but let's not focus on how we're different, when what really matters is how we're similar. We are perhaps the only sapient life in existence. We have a common history; whether you believe it started in the heart of Africa or the Garden of Eden doesn't change the fact that it exists. We all have common ancestors; whether you believe that they were Adam and Eve or chimpanzees doesn't change the fact that they are all related to us. Whether you believe God created everything the way it was thousands of years ago or that everything that is was born in a fiery hellstorm fifteen billion years ago, it doesn't change what's there. So please, I beg of you, my brothers and sisters, let us stop calling each other black and white, gay and straight, heathen and blind follower, and let us call each other just one thing, that which we all are: human.
R.I.P. 1000 Cats

I am a straight 14 year old male atheistic Communist vegan loner. If you have a problem with any of this, I only request that you stay the fuck away from me. If you have questions about atheism or Communism, ask someone else, because there's a 99% chance they can explain it better. If you have questions about veganism, or are yourself a vegan, send me a TG, because I fear that I am the only one on NSG.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown in sun
When a good man goes to war

Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and the dark will rise
When a good man goes to war

Demons run, but count the cost
The battle's won, but the child is lost

The Cummunist State
Minister

Founded: Sep 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cummunist State » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Wisconsin7 wrote:
Acuastria wrote:Personally I think that marriage should be between one man and one woman and that homosexuality is unnatural. But what do you guys and girls think about the issue?

Eating the flesh of cows slaughtered in the thousands and drinking the milk of the ones they didn't kill is unnatural, but does that mean you're going to stop, or that you deserve less rights because of it?
Didn't think so.
And besides, why can't we all just admit that we're all humans? It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight, black or white, male or female. It doesn't matter what gods or goddesses you believe in or don't. Political party differences and age don't matter. Just because the person next door roots for a different football team or doesn't eat meat doesn't mean you can't get along. Our differences make us strong and unique, but let's not focus on how we're different, when what really matters is how we're similar. We are perhaps the only sapient life in existence. We have a common history; whether you believe it started in the heart of Africa or the Garden of Eden doesn't change the fact that it exists. We all have common ancestors; whether you believe that they were Adam and Eve or chimpanzees doesn't change the fact that they are all related to us. Whether you believe God created everything the way it was thousands of years ago or that everything that is was born in a fiery hellstorm fifteen billion years ago, it doesn't change what's there. So please, I beg of you, my brothers and sisters, let us stop calling each other black and white, gay and straight, heathen and blind follower, and let us call each other just one thing, that which we all are: human.

You got so much horribly wrong in that very well intentioned post.
"Harry slammed his book shut! It wasn't really a book, because the pages were made of lasers! And the words were made of headless women making godless love to dragons made out of motorcycles. But it was still reading."
My Real flag (For roleplaying purposes) It may look badly photoshopped, but damnit that's what it really looks like.
I'm your local gay furry black jewish Atheist KKK member. Roll in the Hate.
(in all seriousness, I am Bisexual, Furry, and Atheist)

"I'm just like you
Better than He!
To hell with They!!
I'm almost me!
I'm almost a human being!"
--Voltaire

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Wisconsin7 wrote:
Acuastria wrote:So please, I beg of you, my brothers and sisters, let us stop calling each other black and white, gay and straight, heathen and blind follower, and let us call each other just one thing, that which we all are: human.

Good luck.

Vousielle
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Vousielle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Seperates wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:

I'm an ordained minister, I could marry people. And I have little to no ministerial scruples, so ill totally marry someone to their computer.
I LIVE AGAIN

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm Indian and feel it should certainly be legal.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:04 pm

I think that it's not for me.

but would I support it?

there's the quandry.

as a christian, I view the act of homosexuality to be a sin. however, I also believe that as a sin, only followers of Christianity (and other religions that view Homosexuality as a sin) should abide by that 'viewpoint'.

so as a christian, I feel I cannot support any bill or measure for same sex Marriage. however, I also believe I cannot deny those who don't follow my religion the right to follow their own set of personal rules/beliefs...

so the best I can do, is stand aside and neither Condemn nor Condone Same-Sex Marriage.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Even though I've said I don't support marriage law, I'll vote in favor of gay marriage because I believe that people should have the same rights regardless of sexual orientation (plus, government involvement in marriage isn't going to go away no matter how hard I try). Homosexuals shouldn't be denied anything just because they're homosexual.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 pm

JuNii wrote:as a christian, I view the act of homosexuality to be a sin.

As a Christian, I don't view homosexuality as a sin, actually.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I'm Indian and feel it should certainly be legal.

Hindu indian or Native American?
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Romatticus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romatticus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Whether or not it is "natural" is irrelevant. We are a civilised society, free from the shackles of nature's impulses.

Also, you don't get to choose your sexuality, sorry. If you are born with it, it is natural.
If you are not a liberal at 20, you have no heart. If you are not Conservative by 40, you have no brain. If at any point, you are not a moderate, you don't know enough about history.
Politics are like a tug of war. Opposing sides constantly pull back and forth, but no matter who wins, everyone gets dirty.
Newton's third law? It applies to history too. Everytime one group takes a radical action, an opposite but equally bad group makes a violent reaction.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170946&start=650

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Wolfanbach wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
By calling it marriage we aren't forcing religious institutions to recognise it either.

By that I mean they will lose their main argument the "sanctity" of marriage. If we don't call it that their complaints are less valid. Yes its a smokescreen but its effective enough. besides if they want to call it marriage in their actual lives whose going to stop it?

So we should bend over backwards to placate whiny little children who don't want to share their toys?
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:47 am

Ceannairceach wrote:As an American of an alternate sexuality, I fully support the institution of my right to marry who I damn well please, and call out all who do not support this as oppressors of civil liberty.

As an American of alternate sexuality, I, too, fully support the right to marry who I damn well please, and call those do-good moral adventurists who seek to lap at the hand of the govt that oppressed them for so long deluded. Marriage isn't something the State should be involved in at all.
Last edited by Distruzio on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:50 am

Wisconsin7 wrote:Eating the flesh of cows slaughtered in the thousands and drinking the milk of the ones they didn't kill is unnatural, but does that mean you're going to stop, or that you deserve less rights because of it?
Didn't think so.

No.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:51 am

Distruzio wrote: Marriage isn't something govt should be involved in at all.

...Then why bother? You can get married anywhere with anyone or anything. You just need someone to perform the ceremony.

Please stop making these arguments. It's not going to help anyone and it'll only serve to hurt our cause (which is to get STATE recognition of gay marriages).
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 am

Norstal wrote:
Distruzio wrote: Marriage isn't something govt the State should be involved in at all.

...Then why bother? You can get married anywhere with anyone or anything. You just need someone to perform the ceremony.

Please stop making these arguments. It's not going to help anyone and it'll only serve to hurt our cause (which is to get STATE recognition of gay marriages).

Thanks for pointing out where I misspoke. And no. I won't stop.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:56 am

i live and was born here and i give a rat. ain't no body's damd business but their own. and anything that reduces population increase and unwanted pregnancies i'm 100% in favor of too.

whatever problems anyone's belief have with it, pertain only to that belief, and have no bussiness being applied to anyone who does not freely choose to associate themselves with it.
and if they do, that's still not my concern.

its not personally a life or death issue, but i whole heartedly support the rights of anyone to marry who they love, regardless of gender, or even, other forms of sapient life.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 am

Distruzio wrote:
Norstal wrote:...Then why bother? You can get married anywhere with anyone or anything. You just need someone to perform the ceremony.

Thanks for pointing out where I misspoke. And no. I won't stop.

So you don't want gay marriages to be legal. Cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8

The measure added a new provision, Section 7.5 of the Declaration of Rights, to the California Constitution, which provides that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.

In other words, the government can't recognize a gay marriage because they can't get involved.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Motuka
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 am

Distruzio wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:As an American of an alternate sexuality, I fully support the institution of my right to marry who I damn well please, and call out all who do not support this as oppressors of civil liberty.

As an American of alternate sexuality, I, too, fully support the right to marry who I damn well please, and call those do-good moral adventurists who seek to lap at the hand of the govt that oppressed them for so long deluded. Marriage isn't something the State should be involved in at all.

Yep, that's why the first step is to ban gay marriage and then we can get around to banning straight marriage and marriage to jesus etc.

Anarchists for Proposition 8, assemble!
World Assembly Personnel: Sandor Kaji ~ Julian Kbitaru

Political compass: Approximately -8 Social/+1 Economic (OOC); -6 Social/+9 Economic (IC) ~ Making Maps [suggestions welcome]

Skibereen
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Skibereen » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:03 am

Im an American, and by my religion I am against same sex marriage and civil unions.
I exercise this by not having one.
Im an American, and as such regardless of the principles or morality of others- homosexuals deserve to be able to acquire marriage license and enter into the same soul sucking contract heterosexuals can enter into...be careful what you wish for.
argumentum ad logicam, seriously think about it.

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison
First in line for the pie in the sky

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General