NATION

PASSWORD

What my fellow Americans think about same-sex marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do my fellow Americans think about same-sex marriage?

I am American and I am against same sex marriage and civil unions.
11%
I am American and I am against same sex marriage but support civil unions
14%
I am American and I am in favor of same sex marriage
74%

Total votes : 209

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:Why is there no poll option for non-Americans? :(

There are countries other than America?

America is a country?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Wazkyraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wazkyraque » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Acuastria wrote:Personally I think that marriage should be between one man and one woman and that homosexuality is unnatural.

A. There's nothing the slightest bit wrong with gay marriage, or gay parenting while we are on the subject of gays and their ability to share a bond of love between eachother.
B. I think you're wrong; you are, respectively; Being that homosexuality [at least between males] is unquestionably and scientifically proven to happen a birth at least 70 percent of the time.
Last edited by Wazkyraque on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything takes time. Bees have to move very fast to stay still."

Foguk
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Foguk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:33 pm

In the name of freedom and liberty, something you Americans seem to love OH SO MUCH, I support them.
Economic: Left/Right, 9.75 Points
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian, 4.26 Points
Colour the world Red
My nation of Foguk is representative of my views. Let me get this out of the way: I am not trolling, they are just my views. Don't get worked up.
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If the opposition refuses to disarm, we shall disarm them ourselves"
Joesph Stalin
"When we hang the capitalists, they will sell us the rope we use"
Joseph Stalin

North California
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North California » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
North California wrote:Personally, I think the Federal Government is in no authority to define marriage. And, if the states voted, then at least it would be legal in some states, rather than banned throughout the country.

Neither do the states.

Yes, the states don't have authority either, but I would rather take their word for it than that of the Federal government. But as a I said in my other posts, the government should not even be involved in marriage. What happens in the bedroom is none of the government's business. Repeal all marriage laws.
I am a staunch supporter of Austrian Theory economics as defined by Ludwig von Mises, and I consider myself to be a libertarian and I support Ron Paul Gary Johnson. Basically, I am a capitalist revolutionary
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92

Everyone should watch this video

Factbook

Got a US-themed nation, and need a flag? This is the place

American Nationalist. Yet, anti-American government

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:33 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

America is a country?

America is the world!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

America is a country?

Point taken. America is both a country and a continent. Country isn't important enough.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:35 pm

North California wrote:Yes, the states don't have authority either, but I would rather take their word for it than that of the Federal government. But as a I said in my other posts, the government should not even be involved in marriage. What happens in the bedroom is none of the government's business. Repeal all marriage laws.

You would rather take their word despite the fact they've proven their incompetence time and time again throughout history? What does marriage have to do with what happens in the bedroom? Gay people can have sex all they want.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Laissez-Faire wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

None that matter.

Then why write down in the poll that one is an American? Seems quite redundant then :D
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Cummunist State
Minister

Founded: Sep 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cummunist State » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Another thing I want to point out, Homosexuality and bisexuality are extremely natural. Not only does it happen between other animals all the time, but it happens with the most important animals at this issue, humans. Humans are part of nature, we are nature. Therefore, whatever we do is natural.
"Harry slammed his book shut! It wasn't really a book, because the pages were made of lasers! And the words were made of headless women making godless love to dragons made out of motorcycles. But it was still reading."
My Real flag (For roleplaying purposes) It may look badly photoshopped, but damnit that's what it really looks like.
I'm your local gay furry black jewish Atheist KKK member. Roll in the Hate.
(in all seriousness, I am Bisexual, Furry, and Atheist)

"I'm just like you
Better than He!
To hell with They!!
I'm almost me!
I'm almost a human being!"
--Voltaire

Wisconsin7
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin7 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
North California wrote:

The government doesn't "give" citizens their rights.

Yes they do. Without the government, there's no one to say you have rights and protect them.

Declaration of Independence wrote:When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I think marrying who you love is pursuing happiness; therefore the U.S. or state governments have absolutely no right to regulate marriage, including homosexual.
R.I.P. 1000 Cats

I am a straight 14 year old male atheistic Communist vegan loner. If you have a problem with any of this, I only request that you stay the fuck away from me. If you have questions about atheism or Communism, ask someone else, because there's a 99% chance they can explain it better. If you have questions about veganism, or are yourself a vegan, send me a TG, because I fear that I am the only one on NSG.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown in sun
When a good man goes to war

Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and the dark will rise

Demons run, but count the cost
The battle's won, but the child is lost

North California
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North California » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Seperates wrote:
North California wrote:

The government doesn't "give" citizens their rights. The government should have no say in marriage. Repeal all marriage laws, and let people make marriage decisions for themselves.

And yet gays don't have the right to marriage?

Didn't you read my comment? Let people make marriage decisions for themselves. The only way a gay should not get married is if he doesn't want to. Also, just to appease both sides, just call gay marriage something other than marriage, but treat it the same as marriage. That will also stop this dumb argument. But, the first option of repealing all marriage laws is better.
I am a staunch supporter of Austrian Theory economics as defined by Ludwig von Mises, and I consider myself to be a libertarian and I support Ron Paul Gary Johnson. Basically, I am a capitalist revolutionary

Factbook

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:37 pm

North California wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
Neither do the states.

Yes, the states don't have authority either, but I would rather take their word for it than that of the Federal government. But as a I said in my other posts, the government should not even be involved in marriage. What happens in the bedroom is none of the government's business. Repeal all marriage laws.

See, I don't get this. You are in favor of local injustice instead of NATIONAL liberty. States have proven time and again that they forget that the whole purpose of a republican form of government is "majority rule WITH MINORITY RIGHTS."

Small government is no less corrupt than big government. Big government is just easier to catch.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Wisconsin7 wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
Yes they do. Without the government, there's no one to say you have rights and protect them.

Declaration of Independence wrote:When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I think marrying who you love is pursuing happiness; therefore the U.S. or state governments have absolutely no right to regulate marriage, including homosexual.

I don't know... I'm fairly certain that the insurance benifits and medical policies make it benificial to be married.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

North California
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North California » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Wisconsin7 wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

No, you have yourself to protect your rights. People don't need the government to decide what is best for them, and people should decide for themselves. Without government, people would be in charge of their own destinies.

Factbook

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:39 pm

North California wrote:Didn't you read my comment? Let people make marriage decisions for themselves. The only way a gay should not get married is if he doesn't want to. Also, just to appease both sides, just call gay marriage something other than marriage, but treat it the same as marriage. That will also stop this dumb argument. But, the first option of repealing all marriage laws is better.

Just as I see no compelling reason to allow the religious definition of marriage impact the civic definition, I also see no reason to revoke the contract's existence. I offer an alternative: offer no one a civil contract named "marriage", but instead all people who wish to enter into the civic contract must make do with calling it a civil union. Establishing two identical contracts with different names determined solely by the nature of the entrants is ludicrous.
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:39 pm

North California wrote:
Wisconsin7 wrote:

No, you have yourself to protect your rights. People don't need the government to decide what is best for them, and people should decide for themselves. Without government, people would be in charge of their own destinies.

In a life that is, per Hobbes, nasty, brutish, and short. You control your own destiny, but life is hardly worth living in the state of nature.

Wisconsin7
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin7 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:40 pm

North California wrote:
Seperates wrote:And yet gays don't have the right to marriage?

Didn't you read my comment? Let people make marriage decisions for themselves. The only way a gay should not get married is if he doesn't want to. Also, just to appease both sides, just call gay marriage something other than marriage, but treat it the same as marriage. That will also stop this dumb argument. But, the first option of repealing all marriage laws is better.

Reminds me of the "separate but equal" verdict given by the Supreme Court regarding blacks a long time ago that absolutely everybody agreed to, which of course is why the "colored" waiting rooms, water fountains, bathrooms, train cars, schools, etc. were exactly as good as the ones the whites got to use, which is somewhat confusing since they claimed the opposite in the '60s. But hey, they just had to use the "equal" amenities, so what would they know?
R.I.P. 1000 Cats

I am a straight 14 year old male atheistic Communist vegan loner. If you have a problem with any of this, I only request that you stay the fuck away from me. If you have questions about atheism or Communism, ask someone else, because there's a 99% chance they can explain it better. If you have questions about veganism, or are yourself a vegan, send me a TG, because I fear that I am the only one on NSG.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown in sun

Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and the dark will rise

Demons run, but count the cost
The battle's won, but the child is lost

North California
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North California » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Seperates wrote:
North California wrote:

See, I don't get this. You are in favor of local injustice instead of NATIONAL liberty. States have proven time and again that they forget that the whole purpose of a republican form of government is "majority rule WITH MINORITY RIGHTS."

Small government is no less corrupt than big government. Big government is just easier to catch.

If we had no laws that defined what is marriage in the first place, none of this would happen. Honestly, who the fuck gave the government the authority to decide what constitutes as marriage?

Factbook

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Seperates wrote:
North California wrote:

So I have your support for World Government? :D

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Serrland wrote:
North California wrote:

In a life that is, per Hobbes, nasty, brutish, and short. You control your own destiny, but life is hardly worth living in the state of nature.

This. This completely.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm

My fellow Americans, we cannot allow these couples to same-sexificate. We must not allow them to marriageify. Therefore, I am putting same-sex marriage on a axis of evil along with abortion and pants.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Seperates wrote:See, I don't get this. You are in favor of local injustice instead of NATIONAL liberty. States have proven time and again that they forget that the whole purpose of a republican form of government is "majority rule WITH MINORITY RIGHTS."

Fuck yeah. But I'll be watching you for corruption like a hawk. ;)

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Acuastria wrote:Personally I think that marriage should be between one man and one woman and that homosexuality is unnatural. But what do you guys and girls think about the issue?

I agree, homosexuality is unnatural, and therefore wrong.

For myself, I only wear clothes that I personally weave (by hand) from the hemp that I grow on my own property. Nothing else is quite as natural.
I eschew the use of automobiles - they aren't natural!
I also forgo the lifestyle choice of other such unnatural things, I don't make use of any plastics, or machines, or machine-created products. I certainly don't use any electronic devices.

Unnatural stuff is the worst!

I don't actually regard homosexuality as unnatural... but I had to "agree" for the sake of the rest of the post.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

The Cummunist State
Minister

Founded: Sep 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cummunist State » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Seperates wrote:See, I don't get this. You are in favor of local injustice instead of NATIONAL liberty. States have proven time and again that they forget that the whole purpose of a republican form of government is "majority rule WITH MINORITY RIGHTS."

World governments with legal gay marriage! Woo!
"Harry slammed his book shut! It wasn't really a book, because the pages were made of lasers! And the words were made of headless women making godless love to dragons made out of motorcycles. But it was still reading."
My Real flag (For roleplaying purposes) It may look badly photoshopped, but damnit that's what it really looks like.
I'm your local gay furry black jewish Atheist KKK member. Roll in the Hate.
(in all seriousness, I am Bisexual, Furry, and Atheist)

"I'm just like you
Better than He!
To hell with They!!
I'm almost me!
I'm almost a human being!"
--Voltaire

The Theban Legion
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Theban Legion » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Ragnarsdomr wrote:As a North American, I believe that same-sex marriage is good precisely for the fact that it is an abomination - for, if same-sex marriage is an abomination and yet it exists, does this not then open the road to other abominations, such as low-fat cheese which still tastes delicious, and dolphins with lasers implanted in their skulls, or possibly even Mohammedans who aren't ebil terrorisms?

Wait... so you're saying you're the entire continent on which I live? Or are you saying you are a citizen of a geographic location?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General