NATION

PASSWORD

Olympics

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What do you think of the Olympics?

Good
87%
Bad
No votes
Pointless
13%
Poor Brother of the Commonwealth Games
No votes
Other (explain)
No votes

Total votes : 23

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Olympics

Postby Forsher » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Possibly already exists, but hey, maybe this will cause a megathread.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10789330

This is a very good line up, I follow rowing as a part-time fan. It also includes what is probably the safest bet in world sport in Hamish Bond and Eric Murray (aside from the All Blacks against Ireland).

But, now to the body of the OP and ultimately the thread. What do we think of the Olympics?

I like them, they are good for sports like tennis and rowing and cycling and, well, surely you've noticed a pattern? With team sports it's harder to say. Although God knows why cricket isn't a mainstay, of all team sports it is the one that is the most like the other sports on offer.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:04 pm

I'd like it more if they included American football as an event instead of soccer. Soccer is just 4 hours of light jogging ending with a tie and half the starters on the sidelines faking injuries.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Blazedtown wrote:I'd like it more if they included American football as an event instead of soccer. Soccer is just 4 hours of light jogging ending with a tie and half the starters on the sidelines faking injuries.

And American Football is the pinnacle of sport? No, it most certainly is not. Compared to most other sports the players are the chap you always lap.

Soccer is, unless Spain is playing, fast moving and 90 minutes long unless the teams are tied. ANd if someone was concerned about fake injuries, they'd cut back on the penalties and free kicks.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Blazedtown wrote:I'd like it more if they included American football as an event instead of soccer. Soccer is just 4 hours of light jogging ending with a tie and half the starters on the sidelines faking injuries.

Except the entire world plays soccer.

Basically only the US plays gridiron.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Forsher wrote:

And American Football is the pinnacle of sport? No, it most certainly is not. Compared to most other sports the players are the chap you always lap.

Soccer is, unless Spain is playing, fast moving and 90 minutes long unless the teams are tied. ANd if someone was concerned about fake injuries, they'd cut back on the penalties and free kicks.

What? Once you move past high school level, football players are getting faster and bigger. Even the interior lineman, guys that might be 300 pounds are running the 40s in 4.38 seconds.
Go Vikings.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Forsher wrote:

What? Once you move past high school level, football players are getting faster and bigger. Even the interior lineman, guys that might be 300 pounds are running the 40s in 4.38 seconds.

40s? What on earth is that? And I'm talking about fitness. You're fast if you can out sprint me, but if you cannot beat me over 3km you're a snail.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Cromarty wrote:

Fine! We'll get our own olympics! Only it will be like... for the universe!
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Cromarty wrote:

American football is played globally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... n_Football
Go Vikings.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Except the entire world plays soccer.

Fine! We'll get our own olympics! Only it will be like... for the universe!

It'll be 'super' I'm sure, and will positively 'bowl' the fans over.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
Кромартий

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

American football is played globally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... n_Football

But in no country, aside from the US and possibly Canada, is it anywhere near as big as soccer.

Oh, and whilst 62 nations allegedly are in the IFAF, every country on the planet is a FIFA member.
Кромартий

Phalnia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phalnia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm fine with the Olympics. The only thing I don't like is never being able to find the equestrian events on TV.

"The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious. And why shouldn't it be? - it is the same the angels breathe." Mark Twain
“Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for.” Marian Wright Edelman

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Cromarty wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

But in no country, aside from the US and possibly Canada, is it anywhere near as big as soccer.

Oh, and whilst 62 nations allegedly are in the IFAF, every country on the planet is a FIFA member.

The better comparison would be rugby. Played from Argentina to Scotland. With Sevens being played in Las Vegas and Hong Kong...

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27 pm

I enjoyed BMX last time around. I mean, I expected the dude from California win, but it wasn't even an American.

Also, the guy who won the first medal for Togo breaking his oar (kayak) he was so excited. That was cool.

Yeah, I got caught up in the swimming thing. And Usain Bolt. Breaking the record while gloating celebrating the last 20 meters, awesome. Maybe not the most sportsmanlike, but whatever, it's super human.

But mostly I like the 'small' events. I get bored with gymnastics (oh look, another amazing physical specimen doing a bunch of amazing shit rapidly with an unworldly grace...I guess he was marginally better than the last amazing physical specimen doing a bunch of amazing shit rapidly with an unworldly grace...) But archery makes some boring television, so I get why that's not in prime time. But that's what's cool to me about the olympics, not the sports obvious sports but the weird ones or ones that you wouldn't usually see.

I know I'm in a minority, but really I kind of prefer the winter Olympics. Cannot for some reason get enough of people going downhill quickly. But mostly they just show people prancing about on ice...meh.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Phalnia wrote:I'm fine with the Olympics. The only thing I don't like is never being able to find the equestrian events on TV.

I feel like the horse should get the medal.

I also feel like I should look this up before posting...but I'm not gonna.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Freelanderness
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Freelanderness » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:27 pm

I love them, especially the women's hockey event. When we won gold, is spurred a huge amount of interest in hockey for women, especially in higher up levels, since there's no NHL for women.
. ♕ I am your LORD and saviour, for I am Jesus Christina Confess your sins, and ye shall be forgiven. ❤ .
One of Le Sexiest NSers 2013. Call me ¡¥. Now a fascist because rape is bad, mmkay.
Meet the TET Pantheon
"What I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you cry with you or kiss you, I love you." - Evey (V for Vendetta)
Alleniana wrote:
New Manvir wrote:Well, it's obvious the Native Americans didn't really have a history. They were just loafing about, waiting for some white people to show up so the real fun could start.

The party don't start till I walk in
-Tik Tok, by Christopher Columbus

Hassett
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Hassett » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:32 pm

The Olympics kick ass. Its amazing how it brings together so much talent from across the world.
Black and Yellow
Economic Left/Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
-Former United States
-Hassett: A History through Flags

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:38 pm

I find the olympics quite boring and a waste of time.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Forsher wrote:Possibly already exists, but hey, maybe this will cause a megathread.

This is a very good line up, I follow rowing as a part-time fan. It also includes what is probably the safest bet in world sport in Hamish Bond and Eric Murray (aside from the All Blacks against Ireland).

But, now to the body of the OP and ultimately the thread. What do we think of the Olympics?

I like them, they are good for sports like tennis and rowing and cycling and, well, surely you've noticed a pattern? With team sports it's harder to say. Although God knows why cricket isn't a mainstay, of all team sports it is the one that is the most like the other sports on offer.

No one save the British and Indians can figure out what the rules of cricket, for one thing. Besides, the chances are you'd end up with a match like the one between South Africa and England in MArch of 1939, and we'd still be playing the 1988 Summer Games.

In 1900, the Olympics included fishing. Now that I like.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Forsher wrote:Possibly already exists, but hey, maybe this will cause a megathread.

No one save the British and Indians can figure out what the rules of cricket, for one thing. Besides, the chances are you'd end up with a match like the one between South Africa and England in MArch of 1939, and we'd still be playing the 1988 Summer Games.

Timeless tests are a thing of the past. And the rules are a hell of a lot clearer than those of, say, rugby.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:47 pm

Forsher wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No one save the British and Indians can figure out what the rules of cricket, for one thing. Besides, the chances are you'd end up with a match like the one between South Africa and England in MArch of 1939, and we'd still be playing the 1988 Summer Games.

Timeless tests are a thing of the past. And the rules are a hell of a lot clearer than those of, say, rugby.

Another absurd sport. "Oy, let's all put on striped jerseys and run around jumping on each other trying to grab a leather ball. Better if it's in the rain." :p
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Outside of the United States, Canada, and Japan, it's played and followed pretty much exclusively by hipsters.

And it's arguable Japan counts, since it's pretty much a nation consisting solely of hipsters.

Yeah, I know that's an oxymoron. It's still true~
Last edited by Nazis in Space on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Another absurd sport. "Oy, let's all put on striped jerseys and run around jumping on each other trying to grab a leather ball. Better if it's in the rain." :p

The pros don't wear stripes.

Perhaps league will be to your liking?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 am

Forsher wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Another absurd sport. "Oy, let's all put on striped jerseys and run around jumping on each other trying to grab a leather ball. Better if it's in the rain." :p

Okay, I'm teasing you. I find rugby a ridiculously violent and incomprehensible sport, but that's just me. I think baseball is wonderful, so go figure.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:07 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Okay, I'm teasing you. I find rugby a ridiculously violent and incomprehensible sport, but that's just me. I think baseball is wonderful, so go figure.

What do you think of violent netballbasketball?

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:11 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Forsher wrote:

They're both incomprehensible. Also, boring.

Calcio is where it's at.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General