NATION

PASSWORD

New Evidence Suggests Stone Age Europeans Discovered America

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:55 am

Nazis in Space wrote:Btw, there is some evidence suggesting that modern indians - the ones wandering in over the bering strait, and being most closely related to modern north- and central asian folks - were not the first to colonise the continent, being preceded by a seaborne colonisation of people that'd resemble modern aboriginies or melanesians (Traveling along the coastline from asia to north america), who are in turn most closely related to modern africans.

Basically, the first owners of America may well have been darkies.

That wasn't my understanding of the seaborne hypothesis. I thought its proponents said that the first people did come from East Asia, but not overland but rather along the coast of Beringia and Alaska and the West Coast. Not that they came across the Pacific.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:Btw, there is some evidence suggesting that modern indians - the ones wandering in over the bering strait, and being most closely related to modern north- and central asian folks - were not the first to colonise the continent, being preceded by a seaborne colonisation of people that'd resemble modern aboriginies or melanesians (Traveling along the coastline from asia to north america), who are in turn most closely related to modern africans.

Basically, the first owners of America may well have been darkies.

That wasn't my understanding of the seaborne hypothesis. I thought its proponents said that the first people did come from East Asia, but not overland but rather along the coast of Beringia and Alaska and the West Coast. Not that they came across the Pacific.
I underlined the part you apparently missed.

Note that at the time in question, the modern east asian phenotype did AFAIK yet to have emerge/ reach the coast. It was pretty much all darkies, everywhere (The European phenotype not being much older than 10000 years, either, IIRC).

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:14 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That wasn't my understanding of the seaborne hypothesis. I thought its proponents said that the first people did come from East Asia, but not overland but rather along the coast of Beringia and Alaska and the West Coast. Not that they came across the Pacific.
I underlined the part you apparently missed.

Note that at the time in question, the modern east asian phenotype did AFAIK yet to have emerge/ reach the coast. It was pretty much all darkies, everywhere (The European phenotype not being much older than 10000 years, either, IIRC).

I did miss that. You should type more clearer. As for darkies, that's because everyone was covered with dirt until about 3000 BCE. :p
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 am

I guess, but I mean we're looking at a tribe versus a tribe, rather than a tribe vs guns and cannons and smallpox, but still i think that is interesting

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 am

Hallistar wrote:I guess, but I mean we're looking at a tribe versus a tribe, rather than a tribe vs guns and cannons and smallpox, but still i think that is interesting

I'm not sure I understand you about the this versus that, but it is interesting to think about, I agree. I don't think the Americas were populated first in any numbers worth talking about by people from Europe, though.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 am

Like some have said, European entry into NA. happened before the Bering Sea landbridge crossing but not before the first Asian crossing via boats and hugging the coast. The Europeans were absorbed by the larger Asians. Sort of like how the Han of China have absorbed other groups.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Why the hell would my views change?
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Walden Pond wrote:The first people of North America were from Europe. Thousands of years later, invaders from Asia crossed the land bridge from Siberia and stole our land.

New evidence suggests Stone Age hunters from Europe discovered America
New archaeological evidence suggests that America was first discovered by Stone Age people from Europe – 10,000 years before the Siberian-originating ancestors of the American Indians set foot in the New World. A remarkable series of several dozen European-style stone tools, dating back between 19,000 and 26,000 years, have been discovered at six locations along the US east coast. Three of the sites are on the Delmarva Peninsular in Maryland, discovered by archaeologist Dr Darrin Lowery of the University of Delaware. One is in Pennsylvania and another in Virginia. A sixth was discovered by scallop-dredging fishermen on the seabed 60 miles from the Virginian coast on what, in prehistoric times, would have been dry land.

Does this information change how you view race relations in North America? How you view the "Native Americans" and "First Nations"?

it makes me think of how awful it must have been for those people to drift across the atlantic for what must have been months before they reached land.
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Walden Pond wrote:The first people of North America were from Europe. Thousands of years later, invaders from Asia crossed the land bridge from Siberia and stole our land.

Does this information change how you view race relations in North America? How you view the "Native Americans" and "First Nations"?

it makes me think of how awful it must have been for those people to drift across the atlantic for what must have been months before they reached land.

Well, they didn't sail the open ocean, Ash. The idea is they came across the ice that would have connected Northern Europe and Iceland and Greenland and North America. No one in his right mind sailed the Atlantic what was basically a canoe made of animal hides. In fact, no one sailed out sight of land if they could help it until the 15th century.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Alyakia wrote:I'm going to either 1) kidnap you and bring you to my house and put you in a time machine and send you back and get the romans to do horrible horrible things to you or 2) make us both live forever, wait until your nation falls in power and then get someone to invade and stamp on your face forever while reading this post back at you.

First option violates the control of those in power who are, essentially, the conqueror-equivalents of modern society, and if I'm going to live forever, why wouldn't I offer my services as an immortal being to the US government?
There's a secret third option with American fascists, but that's not important. Do you have any paticular option you prefer or?

See above.
e: did you get that from the wiki or from playing too much legacy of kain. i won't judge you.

I only ever played the demo of Soul Reaver.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Hallistar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Hallistar wrote:I guess, but I mean we're looking at a tribe versus a tribe, rather than a tribe vs guns and cannons and smallpox, but still i think that is interesting

I'm not sure I understand you about the this versus that, but it is interesting to think about, I agree. I don't think the Americas were populated first in any numbers worth talking about by people from Europe, though.

I meant that I didn't think the europeans discovering america first and then being taken out by the native americans somehow justified our wars against the natives since their wars didnt involve guns and foreign diseases

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Walden Pond wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Hahaha. Yeah buddy, the presence of some ancient European style tools in North America proves that the people who made and used them were destroyed by genocide.
As a result of these factors the Solutrean (European originating) Native Americans were either partly absorbed by the newcomers or were substantially obliterated by them either physically or through competition for resources.

Integration to form a new race, if you will, is not genocide.

Winning a battle for resources is not genocide either.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Hallistar wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I'm not sure I understand you about the this versus that, but it is interesting to think about, I agree. I don't think the Americas were populated first in any numbers worth talking about by people from Europe, though.

I meant that I didn't think the europeans discovering america first and then being taken out by the native americans somehow justified our wars against the natives since their wars didnt involve guns and foreign diseases

And an eye for an eye makes the world blind?

Or, at the very least, punishing descendants of supposed criminals is unfair. Especially when the ones doing the punishing themselves didn't know about the crimes of the ancestors.

There are a lot of arguments better than "they didn't use guns!"
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Vikings, Portuguese, Japanese, the French...

I'm starting to think this ocean thing isn't the big deal it is made up to be and that we may well have had luxury cruises in the stone age to the Bahamas
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Well, they didn't sail the open ocean, Ash. The idea is they came across the ice that would have connected Northern Europe and Iceland and Greenland and North America. No one in his right mind sailed the Atlantic what was basically a canoe made of animal hides. In fact, no one sailed out sight of land if they could help it until the 15th century.

then why are the artifacts found so far down the coast instead of in the labrador?
whatever

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Call to power wrote:Vikings, Portuguese, Japanese, the French...

I'm starting to think this ocean thing isn't the big deal it is made up to be and that we may well have had luxury cruises in the stone age to the Bahamas

Perhaps we used to have a global civilization with science, and technology, but it wiped itself out in such a way that all evidence of their advanced society ever existing was destroyed and leaving only small pockets of survivors in different locations?

Sounds possible. It must be true!
Did you see a ghost?

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Call to power wrote:Vikings, Portuguese, Japanese, the French...

Perhaps we used to have a global civilization with science, and technology, but it wiped itself out in such a way that all evidence of their advanced society ever existing was destroyed and leaving only small pockets of survivors in different locations?

Sounds possible. It must be true!

As Georgio would say: "Aliens"!
Last edited by Seangoli on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Walden Pond wrote:
Meowfoundland wrote:I view them exactly the same as I did before. Why should my views change?
Because they're not the first people in America, they came to America and genocided the Native white people.

^This actually made me laugh.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:38 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Well, they didn't sail the open ocean, Ash. The idea is they came across the ice that would have connected Northern Europe and Iceland and Greenland and North America. No one in his right mind sailed the Atlantic what was basically a canoe made of animal hides. In fact, no one sailed out sight of land if they could help it until the 15th century.

then why are the artifacts found so far down the coast instead of in the labrador?

They came across the ice and continued south. Labrador was so deep under the ice no one would stay there then. I guess.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Walden Pond wrote:Because they're not the first people in America, they came to America and genocided the Native white people.

^This actually made me laugh.

The racist starts from the assumption that all others are racist like them, just with a different "prefered" race. If you don't agree with the genocide of the native american peoples it MUST be because you prefer their race over Europeans ones.

Thus, in the thinking of a racist, if the native Americans were actually Europeans then you no longer have to be against the genocide of native Americans.

Twist your brain around in a knot and it will all make sense. You just have to start with the same unfounded, illogical, unscientific, and absurd but also unstated assumptions that racists start with.
Did you see a ghost?

Hallistar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Keronians wrote:
Hallistar wrote:

Or, at the very least, punishing descendants of supposed criminals is unfair. Especially when the ones doing the punishing themselves didn't know about the crimes of the ancestors.

What are you talking about? I said the europeans who originally came here and then were taken out, were killed in tribal battles that didn't involve gun weaponry and diseases. Therefore, it wouldn't have been comparable to the natives' situation who replaced the europeans, who got killed in battles involving gun weaponry and diseases by the Europeans.

Acerbic
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Acerbic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:47 pm

Doesn't concern me that some ancient Europeans were in America first and were absorbed or defeated by a superior civilization (in this case, the Native Americans). The Native Americans were still defeated/absorbed by another civilization later on.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:50 pm

Acerbic wrote:Doesn't concern me that some ancient Europeans were in America first and were absorbed or defeated by a superior civilization (in this case, the Native Americans). The Native Americans were still defeated/absorbed by another civilization later on.

Accept that they probably weren't. The entire "Europe First" argument is completely crap, and based on superficial evidence. I explain it in more detail elsewhere in the thread, but the point is that Bradley and Stanford are beating a dead pony hoping to restart the heart.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:52 pm

"New archaeological evidence suggests that America was first discovered by Stone Age people from Europe..."

Says the Independent, which is based in the UK.

Hmmm. Interesting coincidence.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Hallistar wrote:
Keronians wrote:

What are you talking about? I said the europeans who originally came here and then were taken out, were killed in tribal battles that didn't involve gun weaponry and diseases. Therefore, it wouldn't have been comparable to the natives' situation who replaced the europeans, who got killed in battles involving gun weaponry and diseases by the Europeans.

I'm not even sure you can say "Europeans" when refering to people of the Solutrean culture. (My uncle, Oz-Kar the Scarred, taught me to do Solutrean work, and it was work, let me tell you. None of that "wham-bam, there's a spear point" stuff. You had to concentrate and work carefully. It's a nice toolkit, though. Of course, I grew up in the Magdalenean, so I have a soft spot for denticulated microliths and bone and ivory work.)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General