NATION

PASSWORD

If you deny man-made global warming...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:38 am

If it is occuring, how can we help? We just broke the record for cold weather here in the northen part of Norway. And now, they are saying it's in danger of being broken yet again. Going around minus 50 cel.

We want some of that global warm-ness. XD
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:39 am

Free Soviets wrote:[if you don't know shit about structural engineering, you aren't allowed to have opinions about how strong the beams in this building need to be.

As a mechanical engineer, I can tell you that you're wrong and I am well qualified to have an opinion about how strong the beams in this building need to be.

You don't need to be a climatologist to understand the science behind the climate, nor have an opinion about it. Just like you don't need to have a law degree to call the police if you witness a murder.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:41 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
The majority of scientists believe the earth was the center of the universe. Should we admit they were right?

My point is that science ain't democracy. A majority opinion holds no weight of itself. Consensus means nothing in the light of scientific discourse.

You\forget the part where Religion was also guiding that belief and people tended to get punished if they said otherwise.......

Relevance to OP?
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:41 am

Herskerstad wrote:If it is occuring, how can we help? We just broke the record for cold weather here in the northen part of Norway. And now, they are saying it's in danger of being broken yet again. Going around minus 50 cel.

Then cool the planet back off so that the Gulf Stream shifts back into its old position and goes back to warming northern Europe.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:42 am

Herskerstad wrote:If it is occuring, how can we help? We just broke the record for cold weather here in the northen part of Norway. And now, they are saying it's in danger of being broken yet again. Going around minus 50 cel.

Weather doesn't equal climate the same way a single page doesn't equal the Library of Congress.

I live at 45 degrees north latitude, at the foot of a mountain range in the middle of a continent. This entire winter has basically been one long spring of above freezing weather, with some intermittent snow showers. This is not normal.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:46 am

Revolutopia wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
The majority of scientists believe the earth was the center of the universe. Should we admit they were right?

My point is that science ain't democracy. A majority opinion holds no weight of itself. Consensus means nothing in the light of scientific discourse.

It does tell you something about the science through, as it is unlikely in these times where science so much more rigorous and knowledgeable about how the world works that the vast majority of individuals are wrong.

AIDS was thought to be a homosexual virus 20 years ago. Scientific consensus was once more very vocal and very wrong.

Oil was supposed to run out in the mid 80s, the mid 90s, and the mid 2000s. Scientific consensus... and yet...
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:50 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:We do welcome criticism, but this is a deeply technical subject, and only people with a lot of training are qualified to give criticism. Suppose you came across an airplane being built, and decided to tell the factory foreman it would never work because metal is heavy and won't stay in the air. He then showed you the pages and pages of math proving that not only will it stay in the air, it will get there under it's own power. You insist he must be wrong, because you know metal weighs "a lot" and aren't sure why you should trust his advanced mathematics since you can't understand any of the formulas.. Why the fuck should he continue to listen to you when he has better things to do with his time?

Oh please. This is a forum. By invoking a topic, you automatically ask for opinions of people, no matter if they are "qualified" or not. Politics is a "technical" subject. It doesn't stop average joes like you and me from discussing it, despite we may not be qualified to do so. Hell, I do it all the time and funnily enough, no one's told me that I shouldn't have an opinion because I don't have a degree in political science. Yet I say something along the lines of "I'm sitting on the fence" and here we are. Discussing whether or not people should be qualified to be in these sorts of discussions.

If this translates into some sort of government legislation, we are indeed screwed.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:53 am

Costa Fiero wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:We do welcome criticism, but this is a deeply technical subject, and only people with a lot of training are qualified to give criticism. Suppose you came across an airplane being built, and decided to tell the factory foreman it would never work because metal is heavy and won't stay in the air. He then showed you the pages and pages of math proving that not only will it stay in the air, it will get there under it's own power. You insist he must be wrong, because you know metal weighs "a lot" and aren't sure why you should trust his advanced mathematics since you can't understand any of the formulas.. Why the fuck should he continue to listen to you when he has better things to do with his time?

Oh please. This is a forum. By invoking a topic, you automatically ask for opinions of people, no matter if they are "qualified" or not. Politics is a "technical" subject. It doesn't stop average joes like you and me from discussing it, despite we may not be qualified to do so. Hell, I do it all the time and funnily enough, no one's told me that I shouldn't have an opinion because I don't have a degree in political science. Yet I say something along the lines of "I'm sitting on the fence" and here we are. Discussing whether or not people should be qualified to be in these sorts of discussions.

If this translates into some sort of government legislation, we are indeed screwed.

We didn't invoke this topic. Some drive-by poster with 4 posts to his name, who has not shown up since, did. And I groaned to myself when I saw it, because I knew it was going to end up going into this loop all over again.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Pyravar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pyravar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:56 am

Metanih wrote:If you deny man-made global warming, then you are simply doing it for idiocy, or greed. There is no other options, as even if it wasn't true, then there is no harm in trying to prevent it.

Greed? No I think the opposite. Promoting the notion of man made global warming is the proponent of greed. The greed of power of expanding governments who use the left wing notions to try to grab for more power over their citizens, a way to raise taxes even higher and drive up material costs. The earth will always change no matter what we do. Look at the time of the dinosaurs it was far hotter back then. Will you blame that heat on dinosaur made global warming?
Supreme Leader of the Krimson Empire

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:58 am

If specific knowledge on the subject is the requirement for comment, how many climatologists are on NSG? Very few I imagine. If I'm to be marginalized as FS and the others insist b/c of my ignorance of specific climatological methodology, from where do they derive their spurious claims of authority?

Further appeals to consensus? A bunch of ignorant sycophants discredit the bunch of ignorant naysayers b/c they agree with the consensus?

/chuckles

Whatevs.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:59 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:We didn't invoke this topic. Some drive-by poster with 4 posts to his name, who has not shown up since, did. And I groaned to myself when I saw it, because I knew it was going to end up going into this loop all over again.

No, but the idea that people should be qualified to argue in a forum topic is obviously as stupid as it sounds.

Pyravar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pyravar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:01 am

New Heathera wrote:I have a feeling people who deny man-made global warming (including scientists) are doing so because people don't like to believe in bad news. If there's a way out, a way to deny the bad news and believe it's all right and we can't do anything about what's happening, people are going to jump on it.

Wrong. People believe the bad news first. It's why we have so many bad reports on the news programs, because it brings ratings. If people say the world is dying people leap on the bandwagon no matter the evidence, if they say things will be alright, they distrust.
Supreme Leader of the Krimson Empire

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:05 am

Distruzio wrote:If specific knowledge on the subject is the requirement for comment, how many climatologists are on NSG? Very few I imagine. If I'm to be marginalized as FS and the others insist b/c of my ignorance of specific climatological methodology, from where do they derive their spurious claims of authority?

Further appeals to consensus? A bunch of ignorant sycophants discredit the bunch of ignorant naysayers b/c they agree with the consensus?

/chuckles

Whatevs.

What about burying you in a mountain of data? because we can do that, all you have to do is ask.
Here's a nice start:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... e-1.969870

Xenohumanity wrote:

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:13 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Distruzio wrote:If specific knowledge on the subject is the requirement for comment, how many climatologists are on NSG? Very few I imagine. If I'm to be marginalized as FS and the others insist b/c of my ignorance of specific climatological methodology, from where do they derive their spurious claims of authority?

/chuckles

Whatevs.

What about burying you in a mountain of data? because we can do that, all you have to do is ask.
Here's a nice start:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... e-1.969870

Sorry... but are you a climatologist? No? Then according to FS, your opinion, and whatever facts you use to substantiate that fact, is worthless.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Raw Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Raw Nation » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:15 am

Pyravar wrote:
Metanih wrote:If you deny man-made global warming, then you are simply doing it for idiocy, or greed. There is no other options, as even if it wasn't true, then there is no harm in trying to prevent it.

Greed? No I think the opposite. Promoting the notion of man made global warming is the proponent of greed. The greed of power of expanding governments who use the left wing notions to try to grab for more power over their citizens, a way to raise taxes even higher and drive up material costs. The earth will always change no matter what we do. Look at the time of the dinosaurs it was far hotter back then. Will you blame that heat on dinosaur made global warming?

THere is no evidence that dinos did not have an industrial civilization - in fact with the amount of time they ruled the Earth it is unlikely they didn't.

It is difficult to prove my hypothesis since any cars, etc, would have rusted away after 65 million years.
Yes I'm in a physical relationship with my goldfish and his sister - get over it!

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:25 am

Raw Nation wrote:
Pyravar wrote:

THere is no evidence that dinos did not have an industrial civilization - in fact with the amount of time they ruled the Earth it is unlikely they didn't.

It is difficult to prove my hypothesis since any cars, etc, would have rusted away after 65 million years.

I have to say this post has made my night
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 am

/chuckles

Whatevs.

you don't need to be a climatologist to know enough about climate change to have relevant things to say. you do have to have read the relevant literature by actual climatologists - or popularizations signed off on by them, if you merely want to talk about policy implications. its not impossible, but it is a lot of work. some of us have put in that work.

here's a general epistemological principle:

on any topic - particularly empirical topics, but others as well - you should accept the consensus opinion of experts, unless you have studied the issue to the point of actually becoming one of those experts yourself

and it's important corollary:

if you think you have spotted some obvious flaw that the experts have missed without putting in the work to become one of those experts yourself, you didn't
Last edited by Free Soviets on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 am

Distruzio wrote:AIDS was thought to be a homosexual virus 20 years ago. Scientific consensus was once more very vocal and very wrong.

Oil was supposed to run out in the mid 80s, the mid 90s, and the mid 2000s. Scientific consensus... and yet...

sources. go.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:51 am

Tubbsalot wrote:
The Aryan Nations wrote:Andrew Gavin Marshall, Geologist, Geochemist.

...geologists and geochemists have nothing to do with climate science.

I gave you two simple conditions, and you failed both of them.

its even worse than that. there are probably a few geochemists that actually have done relevant work. andrew marshall isn't one of them. because, "Andrew Marshall is a 19 year old political science student at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, British Columbia (BC)."
Last edited by Free Soviets on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:04 am

Free Soviets wrote:

/chuckles

Whatevs.

you don't need to be a climatologist to know enough about climate change to have relevant things to say. you do have to have read the relevant literature by actual climatologists - or popularizations signed off on by them, if you merely want to talk about policy implications. its not impossible, but it is a lot of work. some of us have put in that work.

here's a general epistemological principle:

on any topic - particularly empirical topics, but others as well - you should accept the consensus opinion of experts, unless you have studied the issue to the point of actually becoming one of those experts yourself

if you think you have spotted some obvious flaw that the experts have missed without putting in the work to become one of those experts yourself, you didn't

By that rational, (nearly) every topic on this board would either end or be consumed by people agreeing for the sake of consensus. That is, until a couple of disagreeing experts stop by.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:here's a general epistemological principle:

By that rational, (nearly) every topic on this board would either end or be consumed by people agreeing for the sake of consensus. That is, until a couple of disagreeing experts stop by.

nah.
one, because there are vast areas where there is no expert consensus. though even there, having studied the issue is important as far as having opinions on it goes.
two, the major things we actually talk about are issues of ethics, policy, commentary on current events, life issues, personal tastes in stuff, and snark. these again require some knowledge, but mainly can be engaged with by anyone with a certain baseline level of thoughtfulness. they aren't nearly as subject to either part of this epistemic rule.

also, nothing should be done 'for the sake of consensus'. in some cases expert consensus exists. fact of the world. and of course people should all pile on somebody who stumbles in asking why, if evolution is true, there are still monkeys. not because we want to achieve consensus. but because that person is wrong. expert consensus is an indicator of truth - or at least a better one than anything else that non-experts have access to. and since the goal is truth, it follows that we should go with the experts unless we have very very good reason to believe otherwise.
Last edited by Free Soviets on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 am

Free Soviets wrote:
Distruzio wrote:AIDS was thought to be a homosexual virus 20 years ago. Scientific consensus was once more very vocal and very wrong.

sources. go.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay-rela ... deficiency

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-15415218

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... er-energy/
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:20 am

Distruzio wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:
It does tell you something about the science through, as it is unlikely in these times where science so much more rigorous and knowledgeable about how the world works that the vast majority of individuals are wrong.

AIDS was thought to be a homosexual virus 20 years ago. Scientific consensus was once more very vocal and very wrong.

Not really.

First, I think you mean 30 years ago, not 20. The term 'AIDS' was popular currency by 1982.

GRIDS was a media name, not a scientific one. The scientific establishment tended to refer to the specific problems (like Kaposi's Sarcoma).

The CDC often acts as a kind of clearinghouse between the scientific establishment and the popular consciousness - and they did term it "4H", referring to the four risk groups in which the problem seemed to be concentrated (Haitians, Haemophiliacs, Homosexuals, Heroin addicts) - for about a year (between mid-1981 and late 1982).

Sorry to nitpick, but this 'science thought AIDS was gay' myth is just as prevalent, and just as misleading, as the constant assertion that 'everyone knew the world was flat 600 years ago', etc.
I identify as
a problem

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:26 am

none of those actually point to any sort of scientific consensus at all. the closest you've got is the early observation of something happening that was concentrated among homosexuals. but nobody thought it was a homosexual virus. mainly because the idea of such a thing is fucking stupid.

MaziChino
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby MaziChino » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:31 am

My personal opinion on climate change is that it is a natural process enhanced by humans.

I saw a show on (I believe?) the Discovery Channel where a team of scientists went to the arctic and did a core sample. The core sample went back - supposedly - about 100,000 years. Every 10,000 years there was a change in the global climate and we should be about due for a change now.

Do I believe that humans are helping the situation? Not a bit.

Do I believe that humans are harming the situation? You better believe it.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me." ~Dudley Field Malone

“Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.”
-Albert Einstein

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson, 1775

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General