NATION

PASSWORD

One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find him

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fr33domland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fr33domland » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Ffs buddy I've asked for proof like 20 times and you keep giving me claims.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Fr33domland wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:If he would never make such statements, why did he let them be printed in his name, in his paper?
Fair question. I happen to believe him when he says he was practising medicine at the time and didn't bother with it. He seems to be a trusting person. That's my opinion. Whether you believe him or not about is up to you, and is your opinion.

Still, 40 years of speeches and video interviews is on my side, so if you want to attack my trusting of him about this single thing, you'll need a bit more evidence to convince me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_the_People_Act#We_the_People_Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul#Sodomy_laws wrote:Paul has been a critic of the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas decision, in which sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional under the Fourteenth Amendment. In an essay posted to the Lew Rockwell website, he stated his opposition to what he called ridiculous sodomy laws, but expressed his fear that federal courts were grossly violating their role of strictly interpreting the Constitution, and felt that they were setting a dangerous precedent of what he characterized as legislating from the bench, by declaring privacy in regards to sexual conduct a constitutional right. Ron Paul said:
Consider the Lawrence case decided by the Supreme Court in June. The Court determined that Texas had no right to establish its own standards for private sexual conduct, because gay sodomy is somehow protected under the 14th amendment "right to privacy". Ridiculous as sodomy laws may be, there clearly is no right to privacy nor sodomy found anywhere in the Constitution. There are, however, states' rights – rights plainly affirmed in the Ninth and Tenth amendments. Under those amendments, the State of Texas has the right to decide for itself how to regulate social matters like sex, using its own local standards.[148]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul#Sexual_orientation_legislation wrote:In 2004, he spoke in support of the Defense of Marriage Act, passed in 1996. This act allows a state to decline to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries, although a state will usually recognize legal marriages performed outside of its own jurisdiction. The Defense of Marriage Act also prohibits the U.S. government from recognizing same-sex marriages, even if a state recognizes the marriage. Paul co-sponsored the Marriage Protection Act, which would have barred federal judges from hearing cases pertaining to the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act.[132][133]

Paul has said that recognizing same-sex marriage at the federal level would be "an act of social engineering profoundly hostile to liberty".[134] Paul stated, "Americans understandably fear that if gay marriage is legalized in one state, all other states will be forced to accept such marriages."[135]

The second quoted section is a direct copy from an earlier post of mine. There is a massive edit war going on in that article right now and the section is currently missing.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Fr33domland wrote:Ffs buddy I've asked for proof like 20 times and you keep giving me claims.

It's a NEWSPAPER QUOTING A PUBLIC INTERVIEW.

Right here:

Paul, a Republican obstetrician from Surfside, said Wednesday he opposes racism and that his written commentaries about blacks came in the context of ""current events and statistical reports of the time."

Bolding mine.

Unless the Wednesday of May 1996 was somehow in 1992, it wasn't from his newsletter.

I also posted this here before, for you.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Fr33domland wrote:Ffs buddy I've asked for proof like 20 times and you keep giving me claims.

What the hell do you call this:

?

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Fr33domland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Fr33domland » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Lol. Nice. The ONE I found too.

He's defending the position of states rights over federal rights, if you'd watch it.

I can't really disagree. Not that I am defending slavery, ofc.

No discriminatory comments, nothing of the sort that you would like to portray him.

Give up. Yes, Obama will probably win, we don't really care. Focus your hatred on the Romney crowd, please?

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Fr33domland wrote:Lol. Nice. The ONE I found too.

He's defending the position of states rights over federal rights, if you'd watch it.

No discriminatory comments, nothing of the sort that you would like to portray him.

Give up. Yes, Obama will probably win, we don't really care. Focus your hatred on the Romney crowd, please?

States don't have rights, neither does the federal government. Only people have rights.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 am

Fr33domland wrote:Lol. Nice. The ONE I found too.

No, because Rand in 2016.

Besides, Romney isn't nearly as bad as Paul. Hell, I'd say he's the best GOP candidate, not that that's saying much.

And states don't have rights, they have powers, and the Constitution says federal powers trump state powers. He's saying these fictional state rights are more important than abolishing slavery... so yeah, that's anti-civil rights.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 am

Fr33domland wrote:I can't really disagree. Not that I am defending slavery, ofc.

Those two sentiments conflict.
I identify as
a problem

Indig0
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 07, 2008
Conservative Democracy

Postby Indig0 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:48 am

thanks for posting! that was an awesome video!

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:59 am

Indig0 wrote:thanks for posting! that was an awesome video!

The video where Paul denounces Lincoln for federally abolishing slavery, or the OP Red Dawn ripoff bullshit piece?

Fr33domland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Fr33domland » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 am

Death Metal wrote:And states don't have rights, they have powers, and the Constitution says federal powers trump state powers. He's saying these fictional state rights are more important than abolishing slavery... so yeah, that's anti-civil rights.
Who has rights? Why does the Federal government have "rights" over state governments.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:39 am

Fr33domland wrote:
Death Metal wrote:And states don't have rights, they have powers, and the Constitution says federal powers trump state powers. He's saying these fictional state rights are more important than abolishing slavery... so yeah, that's anti-civil rights.
Who has rights? Why does the Federal government have "rights" over state governments.

People have rights.

Governments only have authority.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 am

Fr33domland wrote:

Wikki already said this, but I'll add quotes from the Constitution:

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Amendment 9 basically states that just because a right is not mentioned explicitly in the Constitution does not mean people do not have that right.

Amendment 10 notes that States are allowed to legislate so long as these legislations do not clash with federal law, and implies that federal law does supercede state law. The Constitution is considered federal law, of course.

This is why the 13th amendment rendered slavery null and void, because even if the states had laws affirming the legalization of slavery (and AFAIK they didn't), it wouldn't have mattered because federal law comes first.

Archives.gov has a very handy website with transcripts of the Constitution and Amendments btw. Good for referencing especially in this thread as this is the second or third time I had to quote Nine and Ten alone in this thread to point out that Ron Paul is WRONG on states having rights.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 am

Fr33domland wrote:

It doesn't. It has authority over state governments, not "rights over" state government.

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:49 am

Death Metal wrote:
Fr33domland wrote:lol down with Ron Paul tyranny.

You'd make great youtube satire for the Paul campaign, you know.

Well, when you're anti-civil rights, anti-privacy, supporting executive privilege to assassinate civilians, anti-judicial review, pro-corrupt government, and supporting religious tests of office... like Ron Paul does?

Yeah, that's a tyrant.

Well, Obama supports, and consistently uses the executive privileges to assassinate american citizens. He also supports drone strikes on villages, often killing innocent civilians. He also supports arresting people and throwing them in jail for using marijuana, heroin, and other drugs, even when they don't harm others. Oh, and he supports federal government involvement in things like marriage.
Sound a bit like tyranny? :p
Honestly it's very hypocritical to criticize Paul (who is in no way justified in his support for the things you mentioned), without criticizing Obama.
R. Lee Wrights 2012
An explanation of the two party system in the US: Heads they win (republicans, the conservative corporate sellouts), Tails we (the people) lose (to the liberal corporate sell outs)
I am against war created by state. I am an anarcho-mutualist

Proud player of the great game of rugby!

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 am

Ravineworld wrote:
Death Metal wrote:
Well, when you're anti-civil rights, anti-privacy, supporting executive privilege to assassinate civilians, anti-judicial review, pro-corrupt government, and supporting religious tests of office... like Ron Paul does?

Yeah, that's a tyrant.

Well, Obama supports, and consistently uses the executive privileges to assassinate american citizens. He also supports drone strikes on villages, often killing innocent civilians. He also supports arresting people and throwing them in jail for using marijuana, heroin, and other drugs, even when they don't harm others. Oh, and he supports federal government involvement in things like marriage.
Honestly it's very hypocritical to criticize Paul (who is in no way justified in his support for the things you mentioned), without criticizing Obama.
R. Lee Wrights 2012
I'm pretty sure he'd also be criticizing Obama were this thread about Obama.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 am

Mosasauria wrote:
Ravineworld wrote:Well, Obama supports, and consistently uses the executive privileges to assassinate american citizens. He also supports drone strikes on villages, often killing innocent civilians. He also supports arresting people and throwing them in jail for using marijuana, heroin, and other drugs, even when they don't harm others. Oh, and he supports federal government involvement in things like marriage.
R. Lee Wrights 2012
I'm pretty sure he'd also be criticizing Obama were this thread about Obama.

Indeed. But this is the one tactic the Paul-heads have left. Ignore any legitimate claims that seem to cast their candidate in a bad light, and try to shift the discussion to someone else.
I identify as
a problem

The Alchemists Guild
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alchemists Guild » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:51 am

Amendment 10 notes that States are allowed to legislate so long as these legislations do not clash with federal law, and implies that federal law does supercede state law. The Constitution is considered federal law, of course.

To me that implies that federal law is only to be applied in the rare stated circumstances when it is necessary to supercede state law.
And after all, hasn't that been how it's been interpreted for most of American history? and isn't the constitution revered by weirdos like Paul because (in the way it has been interpreted) it has worked well enough in that time to assume that trying something different probably isn't for the best?
Or at least that's what they say, in reality they've just found a holy text they can worship to an extreme without necessarily having to murder sinners (and where absolutely none of the apostles need to be brown or talk funny). Which is probably a blessing.
The Queen of quips, the Sultan of snickering, the President of puns, the Generalissimo of jollity, the Tsar of zingers, the Guru of guffaws, the Jam Sahib of jokes, the Maharajah of mirth, the Chhatrapati of cheer, the Poligar of punch lines, the Rao Bahadur of revelry, the Baivarapatish of bullshit, the Chief Executive of chuckles, the Managing Director of merriment, the Deputy Financial Officer of damn funny observations, the Satrap of satire, who'll never give you a flat tire, 'cos she's not that dire, she used to have testicles, she still wears spectacles, the Edith Piaf of amateur table tennis (she regrets nothing about her backhand smashes) and the self-declared inventor of the prawn burrito... The one, the only... The chunter hunter... The Alchemists Guild!

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:20 am

The Alchemists Guild wrote:To me that implies that federal law is only to be applied in the rare stated circumstances when it is necessary to supercede state law.

That ignores the Supremacy Clause.

The Alchemists Guild wrote:And after all, hasn't that been how it's been interpreted for most of American history?

No. See Ableman v. Booth, 62 U.S. 506 (1859).
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:14 am

Ravineworld wrote:Well, Obama supports, and consistently uses the executive privileges to assassinate american citizens. He also supports drone strikes on villages, often killing innocent civilians. He also supports arresting people and throwing them in jail for using marijuana, heroin, and other drugs, even when they don't harm others. Oh, and he supports federal government involvement in things like marriage.
R. Lee Wrights 2012

The assassinations use powers Ron Paul voted for, the drone strikes (with the same powers) are not aimed at innocents, although entering any conflict is accepting collateral damage and marriage has always been a legal, and thus government, issue.

The Alchemists Guild
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alchemists Guild » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:53 am

Alien Space Bats wrote:
The Alchemists Guild wrote:To me that implies that federal law is only to be applied in the rare stated circumstances when it is necessary to supercede state law.

That ignores the Supremacy Clause.

Yeah...um...n-no. I don't think you've quite got me there mate. I was saying that since the amendment says that states should do the law making in all areas not mentioned elsewhere in the constitution. It implies that state-law should be used in as many situations as possible, and only in circumstances where state-lawmaking is impractical should the federal government step in with it's supreme-ier powers.
In essence the supremacy of the federal government is a necessary evil and only to be utilized when unavoidable, and state governing should be seen as the default.
Last edited by The Alchemists Guild on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Queen of quips, the Sultan of snickering, the President of puns, the Generalissimo of jollity, the Tsar of zingers, the Guru of guffaws, the Jam Sahib of jokes, the Maharajah of mirth, the Chhatrapati of cheer, the Poligar of punch lines, the Rao Bahadur of revelry, the Baivarapatish of bullshit, the Chief Executive of chuckles, the Managing Director of merriment, the Deputy Financial Officer of damn funny observations, the Satrap of satire, who'll never give you a flat tire, 'cos she's not that dire, she used to have testicles, she still wears spectacles, the Edith Piaf of amateur table tennis (she regrets nothing about her backhand smashes) and the self-declared inventor of the prawn burrito... The one, the only... The chunter hunter... The Alchemists Guild!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am

The Alchemists Guild wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:That ignores the Supremacy Clause.

Yeah...um...n-no. I don't think you've quite got me there mate. I was saying that since the amendment says that states should do the law making in all areas not mentioned elsewhere in the constitution. It implies that state-law should be used in as many situations as possible, and only in circumstances where state-lawmaking is impractical should the federal government step in with it's supreme-ier powers.
In essence the supremacy of the federal government is a necessary evil and only to be utilized when unavoidable, and state governing should be seen as the default.

Isn't that what happens now? More or less, anyway?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Alchemists Guild
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alchemists Guild » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 am

Farnhamia wrote:
The Alchemists Guild wrote:Yeah...um...n-no. I don't think you've quite got me there mate. I was saying that since the amendment says that states should do the law making in all areas not mentioned elsewhere in the constitution. It implies that state-law should be used in as many situations as possible, and only in circumstances where state-lawmaking is impractical should the federal government step in with it's supreme-ier powers.

Isn't that what happens now? More or less, anyway?

I never said it wasn't, but it could be the basis for a constitutionalist to claim the founding fathers would value protecting state-rights over other priorities, like protecting the people of Alabama from themselves. But if it is, then the American people got what the founding fathers actually meant for once. (That whole 'Right to bare arms' typo has been disastrous for the sleeveless T-shirt industry, but great for inner-city funeral directors, so it probably balances out)

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 am

The Alchemists Guild wrote:Yeah...um...n-no. I don't think you've quite got me there mate. I was saying that since the amendment says that states should do the law making in all areas not mentioned elsewhere in the constitution. It implies that state-law should be used in as many situations as possible, and only in circumstances where state-lawmaking is impractical should the federal government step in with it's supreme-ier powers.

The problem comes in when we are discussing matters of individual rights. Constitutionally protected individual rights supersede any law - federal or state. When people like Paul argue for "states' rights," they are very rarely addressing an instance in which federal law is at odds with state law. Instead, they are addressing cases in which state law has been found to infringe upon individual rights. The argument then becomes state authority vs. individual rights, not state authority vs. federal authority.
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:51 am

Yeah... um... n-no.

The Constitution says nothing about whether or not Congress should overrule the States, nor does it imply that when and where it can do so, it should only exercise that power in extremity; that may be your legislative philosophy, but such an approach is hardly Constitutionally mandated. In truth, it is up to Congress to decide when and how it ought to exercise its legal supremacy.

No, the 9th and 10th Amendments exist strictly for the purpose guiding us in reading the Constitution. The theme of the document is that Federal powers are strictly enumerated and articulated; those powers not explicitly granted to the Federal government are not the Federal government's to wield.

The 9th was enacted to assert that just because Federal power is limited to whatever is strictly defined in the Constitution, we should not assume that those rights listed in its first eight Amendments are equally limited; nor should we assume that the enumeration of rights within the first eight Amendments means that anything outside of what is guaranteed as a right in those eight Amendments is automatically subject to Federal regulation.

The 10th was enacted to remind us that the Federal government and the States operate in accordance with separate legal theories. The Federal government only has those powers granted to in in the Constitution - nothing more. The States, OTOH, being sovereign entities (literally "entities possessed of the power of a monarch"), have unlimited power over their residents (or did prior to the passage of the 14th Amendment); the Bill of Rights does not (or at least did not at first) apply to them, leaving the States free to exercise whatever power they wished, save where that power is explicitly pre-empted or circumscribed by the Constitution.

Thankfully, the 14th Amendment was later enacted to place a check on State authority. After all, a loose confederacy of 50 States, each capable of exercising absolute totalitarian authority over its residents down to the last and tiniest detail of their lives - which is Ron Paul's wet dream - might be democratic; yet such a nation can hardly be considered free.
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General