NATION

PASSWORD

One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find him

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Utter rubbish.

To be fair, Gangland Chicago was very transparently corrupt.

Also, my former hometown of Hialeah, Florida had a mayor who managed to embezzle millions of dollars from the government.

He was convicted for it... but then when it came to the retrial, all the witnesses suddenly and inexplicably refused to testify. I don't think he even served time.

And, despite all this, he somehow got re-elected.

Incidentally, there's at least two businesses in Hialeah that everyone knows are grey markets. The owner of one was actually arrested for knowingly buying and selling stolen merchandise but he got a slap on the wrist.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for a smaller government to be more transparent or easily scrutinised - I'm saying it's utter rubbish to try to claim that smaller governments are necessarily more transparent or more easily scrutinised.
Last edited by Grave_n_idle on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify as
a problem

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 pm

No disagreements there. I was making examples of how even if it were true, transparency =/= total lack of corruption.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Terripin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Terripin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Death Metal wrote:No disagreements there. I was making examples of how even if it were true, transparency =/= total lack of corruption.

Transparency helps sometimes. But if the populace is all "meh" about everything and watching it like a TV show it becomes something else. Nothing is going to work to solve corruption if there is a major lack of moral values.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:00 am

GreaterPacificNations wrote:Though if the war on drugs was ended, and it became a purely nominal state issue, I think you'd see most of America legalising. Or to put it differently- if you could buy weed in California over the counter, America would see a lot of road trips.

Every single state has laws on the books outlawing what the federal government outlaws. Hell, most drug charges are prosecuted on the state level.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:33 am

and circling back to his racist newsletters, apparently one of his former secretaries is going on record with the claim that he proofed the things himself:

But people close to Paul’s operations said he was deeply involved in the company that produced the newsletters, Ron Paul & Associates, and closely monitored its operations, signing off on articles and speaking to staff members virtually every day.

“It was his newsletter, and it was under his name, so he always got to see the final product. . . . He would proof it,” said Renae Hathway, a former secretary in Paul’s company and a supporter of the Texas congressman.

also,
Ed Crane, the longtime president of the libertarian Cato Institute, said he met Paul for lunch during this period, and the two men discussed direct-mail solicitations, which Paul was sending out to interest people in his newsletters. They agreed that “people who have extreme views” are more likely than others to respond.

Crane said Paul reported getting his best response when he used a mailing list from the now-defunct newspaper Spotlight, which was widely considered anti-Semitic and racist.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Free Soviets wrote:and circling back to his racist newsletters, apparently one of his former secretaries is going on record with the claim that he proofed the things himself:

But people close to Paul’s operations said he was deeply involved in the company that produced the newsletters, Ron Paul & Associates, and closely monitored its operations, signing off on articles and speaking to staff members virtually every day.

“It was his newsletter, and it was under his name, so he always got to see the final product. . . . He would proof it,” said Renae Hathway, a former secretary in Paul’s company and a supporter of the Texas congressman.

also,
Ed Crane, the longtime president of the libertarian Cato Institute, said he met Paul for lunch during this period, and the two men discussed direct-mail solicitations, which Paul was sending out to interest people in his newsletters. They agreed that “people who have extreme views” are more likely than others to respond.

Crane said Paul reported getting his best response when he used a mailing list from the now-defunct newspaper Spotlight, which was widely considered anti-Semitic and racist.

I don't think anyone objective has any doubts that Paul had a direct hand in the newsletter issue. He didn't even try to distance himself from it until it became a liability... it's, best case, an appeal to (im)plausible deniability.
I identify as
a problem

Rhodesia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesia » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Augarundus wrote:Is this an official Ron Paul ad? I know it's based off of his very eloquent "imagine" speech....

Ron Paul is an admirable candidate (and sometimes a very eloquent one); I'm shocked that some of his supporters are intelligent. They stand out in the political puppet-show of elections in the US.

But Ron Paul will be (and already is) subject to ludicrous criticisms by the media (which, at least, is better than being outright ignored). In office, he will face widespread, bipartisan opposition (the Republicans will fight his anti-war policies, the Democrats will fight his economic liberalization, and everyone will defend the fed). The ecosystem of parasites dependent on the state will riot against any small policy he chooses to enact; he will have literally no political capital in office.

For libertarians, engaging the state is a hopeless pursuit...

This. Sigh.
How to start an argument on NationStates:
1. Express an opinion.
2. Wait.
If you're not in Political Compass' green square, NSG won't like you.

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Free Soviets wrote:and circling back to his racist newsletters, apparently one of his former secretaries is going on record with the claim that he proofed the things himself:

also,

Sheeple! Sheeple! You're just blind to the Jewish-Zionist-American conspiracy by the Feds to stop Ron Paul from becoming President and dismantling the Fed, which has granted this conspiracy power for over 235 years!
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:55 pm

Death Metal wrote:I've said this before, but the drug issue is the only thing I can agree with him on, and that's if you ignore that he will leave it completely up to the states where a more reasonable option would be to give it the same federal regulations as alcohol.

Which isn't to say sates shouldn't have any say, just as long as it's in addition to the federal rule and not instead of.

His other positions I find range from naive to asinine.

so you don't agree that we should have unlimited freedom of speech, no more useless war, and invasions of privacy?
That is what is naive to asinine
An explanation of the two party system in the US: Heads they win (republicans, the conservative corporate sellouts), Tails we (the people) lose (to the liberal corporate sell outs)
I am against war created by state. I am an anarcho-mutualist

Proud player of the great game of rugby!

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Ravineworld wrote:so you don't agree that we should have unlimited freedom of speech, no more useless war, and invasions of privacy?

Ron Paul doesn't believe in a right to privacy, and actively works to subvert that right.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Bontivate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bontivate » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Here's why Ron Paul is a nutcase.

1. He wants to slash as much welfare as possible.
2. He wants to privatize the school system.

Do you know what this leads to?

1. Poor people can't afford to send their kids to school.
2. Those kids can't get jobs.
3. Those kids grow up to become poor people.

It essentially keeps the bottom at the bottom and the top at the top. Which is great for someone like Ron Paul who is already at the top.
"You can’t comprehend fact that Cube4 simultaneous 24 hour days rotate within same 24 hour rotation of Mother Earth. You can’t tell the difference between your Mother and a queer guised as God." ~Gene Ray
"Let them eat cake." ~Marie Antoinette
"The only way we will ever have equal rights in this country is by getting rid of all the equal rights laws." ~EQAndyBuzz
"I am aware that the Jesuits are holding my real mother hostage, while her clone has been calling me and asking me to view a condominium with her." ~Gail
"You will never learn what I am thinking. And those who boast most loudly that they know my thought, to such people I lie even more." ~Hitler

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Bontivate wrote:Here's why Ron Paul is a nutcase.

It essentially keeps the bottom at the bottom and the top at the top. Which is great for someone like Ron Paul who is already at the top.

You're talking to the people who think Reagan's bullshit idea of the "welfare queen" is the average welfare recipient.
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Bontivate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bontivate » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Allrule wrote:
Bontivate wrote:Here's why Ron Paul is a nutcase.

You're talking to the people who think Reagan's bullshit idea of the "welfare queen" is the average welfare recipient.

True, I guess there's no point. But I still feel this strange desire to point out that Ron Paul is, as a great man on the Atari forums once said about an entirely different person, "a motherfucking fucktard." That's why the mainstream media hates him. He's a "motherfucking fucktard." And nothing will ever change this.
"You can’t comprehend fact that Cube4 simultaneous 24 hour days rotate within same 24 hour rotation of Mother Earth. You can’t tell the difference between your Mother and a queer guised as God." ~Gene Ray
"Let them eat cake." ~Marie Antoinette
"The only way we will ever have equal rights in this country is by getting rid of all the equal rights laws." ~EQAndyBuzz
"I am aware that the Jesuits are holding my real mother hostage, while her clone has been calling me and asking me to view a condominium with her." ~Gail
"You will never learn what I am thinking. And those who boast most loudly that they know my thought, to such people I lie even more." ~Hitler

Dukopolious
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Canadian Democrat (Your politics really are more interesting...)-

I am a strong supporter of Obama after his 2nd year in office, and I despise Gingrich, dislike Romney and recognize that Senator Santiago or whatever the hell his name is wont have a chance, so by far, if I had to pick a candidate, it would be Ron Paul.

After watching the Florida debate, I grew to really dislike Gingrich, and really like Ron Paul's ideals (Not as much as Obama, but still, by far the best of the Republicans).

I agree the government should slash administration, open better relations with Cuba, allow Porto Rico to be a state, should it's people wish that.

I also think slashing welfare would be good, if he would be willing to make healthcare more public.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Weegee and Rick Steves
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Weegee and Rick Steves » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Ron Paul has obviously played "Homefront" on his Xbox

I don't really like this ad. Like an earlier poster said, we don't ransack Germany. so you can't really relate what our troops do to what this ad says.
Weegee and Rick Steves. You know, like "Trinidad and Tobago"
Sports:
World Baseball Classic 19 (8-6)|World Baseball Classic 20 (6-4 advances to playoffs)
Keisler Cup 5: U-21(third place overall), U-13 (2nd place overall)
Just another day in Middle Eastern politics - SaintB

Brasilya
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Brasilya » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Weegee and Rick Steves wrote:Ron Paul has obviously played "Homefront" on his Xbox.

Then he's got my vote, I loved that game. ;)

I supported him anyway.
♔ The Kindom of Brasilya ♔
Factbook
Region
Coat of Arms
NsEconomy

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:59 am

Revolutopia wrote:
Ravineworld wrote:so you don't agree that we should have unlimited freedom of speech, no more useless war, and invasions of privacy?

Ron Paul doesn't believe in a right to privacy, and actively works to subvert that right.

And there's just one thing you need to look at to prove that Ron Paul will piss on your privacy for a buck: The AUMF bill of 2001, which he voted for, that allows the exact same powers in the NDAA he claims to be against.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:00 am

Death Metal wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:

And there's just one thing you need to look at to prove that Ron Paul will piss on your privacy for a buck: The AUMF bill of 2001, which he voted for, that allows the exact same powers in the NDAA he claims to be against.

Actually, all the 2012 NDAA did was reaffirm those very powers.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

51st State of the Moon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 51st State of the Moon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:04 am

I have one question About Ronnie. Does he really want to cut every government institute besides the Main Government Branches and the Military?

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:05 am

Yes. Among many, many other stupid things.

51st State of the Moon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 51st State of the Moon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:06 am

Death Metal wrote:Yes. Among many, many other stupid things.

Thank you.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:07 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

My point exactly.

Of course, Paulites will believe this is part of the Fox News conspiracy or whatever.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Death Metal wrote:And there's just one thing you need to look at to prove that Ron Paul will piss on your privacy for a buck: The AUMF bill of 2001, which he voted for, that allows the exact same powers in the NDAA he claims to be against.

The 2012 NDAA codified in statute the Bush/Obama administrations' dubious interpretations of their powers under the 2001 AUMF, interpretations which in many cases had never been subjected to a real test in the courts. Such a test has become more difficult under the 2012 NDAA, as parties can no longer argue that the administration's actions violate the text of the statute (they may have violated the 2001 AUMF, depending on interpretation, but they don't violate the 2012 NDAA); they must now argue that the statute itself violates the constitution.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Section 9 Article 2 of the Constitution says:

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

So the issue is if the SCOTUS believes domestic terrorists are rebels, and foreign terrorists count as invaders.

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Death Metal wrote:And there's just one thing you need to look at to prove that Ron Paul will piss on your privacy for a buck: The AUMF bill of 2001, which he voted for, that allows the exact same powers in the NDAA he claims to be against.

Or you could look at the We the People Act, in which Ron Paul would do away with the right to privacy altogether.
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General