NATION

PASSWORD

One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find him

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Aquophia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Ok, I really didn't mean to derail this thread like this. Can we get back on topic before a mod comes by and yells at me?

What topic?

Crazy old men with crazier, older political ideas.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

The Time Lords
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Lords » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:52 pm

One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find him, this reminds me of the one ring in lord of the rings: the ring of power. lol. :lol2:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm

The Time Lords wrote:One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find him, this reminds me of the one ring in lord of the rings: the ring of power. lol. :lol2:

Really? I .. I never thought of that. :blink:
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:01 pm

The Time Lords wrote:One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find him, this reminds me of the one ring in lord of the rings: the ring of power. lol. :lol2:

duly noted
United Dependencies wrote:One Thread to bring them all and in the darkness Bind them!
In the land of NSG, where the shadows lie...

62 pages and no one has said it. come on.

*glares at Farn* :p
Last edited by United Dependencies on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:25 pm

So...Ron Paul is Gollum?
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Coccygia wrote:

So...Ron Paul is Gollum?

Well, he is obsessed with a shiny precious.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by Wikkiwallana on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 am

So Rand Paul was stopped by the TSA and refused to be patted down.

This of course, means Paulites are losing their proverbial shit because teh TSAs are teh evils.

What they refuse to realize (other than Ron Paul had a hand in all this happening), is that airlines are corporations, and airports are run by the government.

Why is that important?

Well, in a government building you are always subject to search. And a corporation is allowed to refuse service to those who refuse to cooperate with their procedures.

And while a senator has some protection from common law by the Constitution, this does NOT apply to potential treason. Terrorist activities on your own soil counts as treason.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 am

Death Metal wrote:So Rand Paul was stopped by the TSA and refused to be patted down.

This of course, means Paulites are losing their proverbial shit because teh TSAs are teh evils.

What they refuse to realize (other than Ron Paul had a hand in all this happening), is that airlines are corporations, and airports are run by the government.

Why is that important?

Well, in a government building you are always subject to search. And a corporation is allowed to refuse service to those who refuse to cooperate with their procedures.

And while a senator has some protection from common law by the Constitution, this does NOT apply to potential treason. Terrorist activities on your own soil counts as treason.

I'm a little surprised that Rand Paul's terrible ordeal didn't get it's own discussion thread. I guess it's because he doesn't matter.

The story is pretty obviously purely contrived - Rand Paul's knee (apparently) set off some alarm, and he refused a pat-down and wasn't allowed to board. First - that's not even a fucking story - if you don't pass security to get on a plane, you don't get on. It's no different than trying to board a flight without a ticket and then pitching a fit because you weren't allowed. Come back when you have a legitimate complaint, Rand.

Second - in order to know that it was his 'knee' (allegedly) that triggered the alarm, Rand must have had not only the standard walk-through monitoring, but also the use of an investigative detector (wand) to pinpoint the trouble area. So his complaint that he wasn't allowed to be scanned again simply isn't true.

Third - he was given the option to fly. He wasn't detained without recourse. He could simply have had a non-invasive pat of his knee (or dropped his pants, I suppose, but that would arguably have been MORE 'invasive'), and would have been allowed to fly once it was clear he didn't have a gun strapped to his leg or something.

It's this kind of stupidity that really causes the problems at airports - and I say this as someone who has arguably made more than my fair share of international and national flights. The sense of entitlement that people like Rand Paul have sickens me. Security is actually doing it's job, without abuse... and that's a controversy. You do NOT have a 'right' to get on a plane without monitoring.
Last edited by Grave_n_idle on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I identify as
a problem

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 am

They do have the right to bitch and moan about it.

But we also have the right to call them idiots for not understanding that they're bitching and moaning for the wrong reasons.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Death Metal wrote:So Rand Paul was stopped by the TSA and refused to be patted down.

Why is that important?

I'm a little surprised that Rand Paul's terrible ordeal didn't get it's own discussion thread. I guess it's because he doesn't matter.

The story is pretty obviously purely contrived - Rand Paul's knee (apparently) set off some alarm, and he refused a pat-down and wasn't allowed to board. First - that's not even a fucking story - if you don't pass security to get on a plane, you don't get on. It's no different than trying to board a flight without a ticket and then pitching a fit because you weren't allowed. Come back when you have a legitimate complaint, Rand.

Second - in order to know that it was his 'knee' (allegedly) that triggered the alarm, Rand must have had not only the standard walk-through monitoring, but also the use of an investigative detector (wand) to pinpoint the trouble area. So his complaint that he wasn't allowed to be scanned again simply isn't true.

Third - he was given the option to fly. He wasn't detained without recourse. He could simply have had a non-invasive pat of his knee (or dropped his pants, I suppose, but that would arguably have been MORE 'invasive'), and would have been allowed to fly once it was clear he didn't have a gun strapped to his leg or something.

It's this kind of stupidity that really causes the problems at airports - and I say this as someone who has arguably made more than my fair share of international and national flights. The sense of entitlement that people like Rand Paul have sickens me. Security is actually doing it's job, without abuse... and that's a controversy. You do NOT have a 'right' to get on a plane without monitoring.

I'm from the state in question, and happened to see it on my local news while eating dinner.

The story they ran said it was an uncertain part of his leg, and had him claiming that he pulled up his pant leg and offered to let them scan the leg again which was what was turned down. Which makes sense to me from a security perspective: anything genuinely shady would more likely be in the pants rather than his leg. The story also said the he claimed to have been detained, but that the security officers or airport (don't remember which) said he was simply prevented from going further than the checkpoint.

They then went on to give his Dad free publicity by airing a rant he launched about how evil the TSA is.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

I'm from the state in question, and happened to see it on my local news while eating dinner.

The story they ran said it was an uncertain part of his leg, and had him claiming that he pulled up his pant leg and offered to let them scan the leg again which was what was turned down. Which makes sense to me from a security perspective: anything genuinely shady would more likely be in the pants rather than his leg. The story also said the he claimed to have been detained, but that the security officers or airport (don't remember which) said he was simply prevented from going further than the checkpoint.

They then went on to give his Dad free publicity by airing a rant he launched about how evil the TSA is.

The version I heard earlier had him claiming that his knee tripped the alarm. The idea that his pants might have tripped the alarm makes more sense, since he's claimed he doesn't have any surgical metal in his leg, etc.

The source I heard also supported what you're saying - the 'official' story has him being told he couldn't fly, and left to his own devices - while Rand claims to have been 'detained'.

Personally, the minute I heard the story, I found myself wondering if it was deliberately staged to give his dad a bump in the polls. The story is so insignificant, contrived and inconsistent... and yet seems tailor-made to appeal to the Ron Paul demographic.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:11 am

Death Metal wrote:They do have the right to bitch and moan about it.

But we also have the right to call them idiots for not understanding that they're bitching and moaning for the wrong reasons.

He does indeed have a right to bitch and moan. The Constitution protects a man's right to be stupid.

Rand Paul is perhaps attempting to see just how far that right can be pushed.
I identify as
a problem

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:I'm from the state in question, and happened to see it on my local news while eating dinner.

The version I heard earlier had him claiming that his knee tripped the alarm. The idea that his pants might have tripped the alarm makes more sense, since he's claimed he doesn't have any surgical metal in his leg, etc.

The source I heard also supported what you're saying - the 'official' story has him being told he couldn't fly, and left to his own devices - while Rand claims to have been 'detained'.

Personally, the minute I heard the story, I found myself wondering if it was deliberately staged to give his dad a bump in the polls. The story is so insignificant, contrived and inconsistent... and yet seems tailor-made to appeal to the Ron Paul demographic.

I don't necessarily think his pants tripped the alarm. I'm just saying that if my job was security screening, and, if after a detector went off, the person being scanned at the time responded by moving some of their clothes and offering a rescan of their bare flesh, my first instinct would be "Misdirection, check those clothes!".

Xenohumanity wrote:

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:14 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

I don't necessarily think his pants tripped the alarm. I'm just saying that if my job was security screening, and, if after a detector went off, the person being scanned at the time responded by moving some of their clothes and offering a rescan of their bare flesh, my first instinct would be "Misdirection, check those clothes!".

... or just ask him to walk through the detector again.

Which, purportedly, is what Rand asked for: http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/23/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_t3

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:I'm from the state in question, and happened to see it on my local news while eating dinner.

Hey, they didn't really talk about him after the debate, so his camp figured they at least should do something to get the media to say something about him tonight. :P

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:17 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:I don't necessarily think his pants tripped the alarm. I'm just saying that if my job was security screening, and, if after a detector went off, the person being scanned at the time responded by moving some of their clothes and offering a rescan of their bare flesh, my first instinct would be "Misdirection, check those clothes!".

Which, purportedly, is what Rand asked for: http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/23/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_t3

Interesting, the source you present highlights how double-screening adults is also, coincidentally, a specific policy piece for Rand Paul.

This has publicity stunt written all over it.
I identify as
a problem

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Interesting, the source you present highlights how double-screening adults is also, coincidentally, a specific policy piece for Rand Paul.

This has publicity stunt written all over it.

Eh, considering he said it a couple of months ago, I'd hesitate to go that direction.

But, still, the only big deal here is that Rand was involved. It doesn't deserve more than a little blip on Your Preferred Social Media Outlet.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:46 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Quelesh wrote:Yeah, I am disappointed that Paul voted for the 2001 AUMF. The reason I hope that Paul does at least relatively well in the Republican primaries, despite the fact that I strongly disagree with him on many issues, is that he generally opposes the so-called war on terror, and I cannot bring myself to support any candidate who does not oppose the endless war. This is one reason why I'll probably end up supporting the Green Party or Socialist Party USA candidate, and is the primary reason why I cannot support Obama.

There is an alternative Ron Paul campaign I could really get behind though, based on this t-shirt:

Is that the endless war that the President has ended one part of? The endless war from which we're withdrawing troops, 10,000 last year, more this year, the last by 2014? That endless war?

When I said "endless war," I was referring to the so-called War on Terror as a whole (what the Bush administration called the "long war"), not specifically limited to the War in Afghanistan. They're talking about withdrawing troops (well, "combat troops" anyway) from Afghanistan, but they're not talking about ending unmanned drone operations, they're not talking about no longer bombing Pakistan and Yemen, they're not talking about closing Guantanamo, they're not talking about ending indefinite detention and they're not talking about repealing the Patriot Act.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

The Time Lords
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Lords » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Coccygia wrote:So...Ron Paul is Gollum?

Well, his is obsessed with a shiny precious.

Yes he is gollum. just look at his face. :lol: :lol2:

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:52 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:I don't necessarily think his pants tripped the alarm. I'm just saying that if my job was security screening, and, if after a detector went off, the person being scanned at the time responded by moving some of their clothes and offering a rescan of their bare flesh, my first instinct would be "Misdirection, check those clothes!".

I'm just going by what I saw in his interview on my local news. He demonstrated his offer by placing his foot on a low counter and hitching up the pant leg to bare his entire shin, as if offering it up for one of those handheld detectors.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Quelesh wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Is that the endless war that the President has ended one part of? The endless war from which we're withdrawing troops, 10,000 last year, more this year, the last by 2014? That endless war?

When I said "endless war," I was referring to the so-called War on Terror as a whole (what the Bush administration called the "long war"), not specifically limited to the War in Afghanistan. They're talking about withdrawing troops (well, "combat troops" anyway) from Afghanistan, but they're not talking about ending unmanned drone operations, they're not talking about no longer bombing Pakistan and Yemen, they're not talking about closing Guantanamo, they're not talking about ending indefinite detention and they're not talking about repealing the Patriot Act.

Because it won't matter how the war is going if we don't have a country left when it's over.

And we're still at war with the Taliban, for now anyway.

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:It's this kind of stupidity that really causes the problems at airports - and I say this as someone who has arguably made more than my fair share of international and national flights. The sense of entitlement that people like Rand Paul have sickens me. Security is actually doing it's job, without abuse... and that's a controversy. You do NOT have a 'right' to get on a plane without monitoring.

My favorite part is that he was on his way to argue for government control of every woman's uterus, but ask him to go through routine screening procedures and have a pat down after setting off the detector? What a horrible invasive government!
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:It's this kind of stupidity that really causes the problems at airports - and I say this as someone who has arguably made more than my fair share of international and national flights. The sense of entitlement that people like Rand Paul have sickens me. Security is actually doing it's job, without abuse... and that's a controversy. You do NOT have a 'right' to get on a plane without monitoring.

My favorite part is that he was on his way to argue for government control of every woman's uterus, but ask him to go through routine screening procedures and have a pat down after setting off the detector? What a horrible invasive government!

Indeed.... what was his claim? That it was not 'appropriate' for security officials to pat him down? The mere suggestion of contact near his body is inappropriate and an overstretch of government intrusion - but determining who can do what the other side of a woman's cervix is entirely appropriate.
I identify as
a problem

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Dempublicents1 wrote:

Indeed.... what was his claim? That it was not 'appropriate' for security officials to pat him down? The mere suggestion of contact near his body is inappropriate and an overstretch of government intrusion - but determining who can do what the other side of a woman's cervix is entirely appropriate.

Don't you understand he disagrees with the TSA thus he should be immune to their actions, as civilized and mature adult. However, women are all silly and cannot be trusted to know what is best for their bodies. Thus, why he has every right to legislate what they can or cannot do with them.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:

There's a reason why it's called a uterUS, not a uterYOU.

>.>

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General