NATION

PASSWORD

One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find him

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Ora Amaris wrote:But... doesn't anyone see an issue with this?
The Federal Reserve is a private bank, in control of America's monetary supply, can print money anytime it wants, and no one even knows what goes on?
It can meet and make deals with foreign companies and governments without the permission or oversight of the government?
And if something goes wrong, the taxpayers have to bailout the banks because they're "too big to fail", and yet the average citizen is not?

Is that how it is?
Just trying to get a sense of what's going on.

Way to go. You just figured out why "too big to fail" is just another word for corrupt, corporate welfare-abusing, freaks who are too big to exist.
An explanation of the two party system in the US: Heads they win (republicans, the conservative corporate sellouts), Tails we (the people) lose (to the liberal corporate sell outs)
I am against war created by state. I am an anarcho-mutualist

Proud player of the great game of rugby!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Ravineworld wrote:
Ora Amaris wrote:But... doesn't anyone see an issue with this?
The Federal Reserve is a private bank, in control of America's monetary supply, can print money anytime it wants, and no one even knows what goes on?
It can meet and make deals with foreign companies and governments without the permission or oversight of the government?
And if something goes wrong, the taxpayers have to bailout the banks because they're "too big to fail", and yet the average citizen is not?

Is that how it is?
Just trying to get a sense of what's going on.

Way to go. You just figured out why "too big to fail" is just another word for corrupt, corporate welfare-abusing, freaks who are too big to exist.

Except, you know, the Federal Reserve banks are not private and cannot print money. And while I'm not certain because I haven't looked, I would seriously doubt that "deals with foreign companies and governments" do not get made without government permission or oversight. Other than that, yeah, spot on. Did you like the little subject change from the Fed to bail-outs?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Ron Paul ought to run as a libertarian or constitutionalist. Do a lot of money bombs and attack both obama and the republicans. He could win on that.
An explanation of the two party system in the US: Heads they win (republicans, the conservative corporate sellouts), Tails we (the people) lose (to the liberal corporate sell outs)

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Ravineworld wrote:Ron Paul ought to run as a libertarian or constitutionalist. Do a lot of money bombs and attack both obama and the republicans. He could win on that.

Ron Paul would only win in Bizarro World.

Saddest thing is, even in Bizarro world his policies wouldn't work. They only work in Ron Paul's heavily edited Sims 3 game where nobody is in the least bit greedy or selfish.

What's that?

I'm just getting word now, even in that fantasy world, Ron Paul's policies still bring economic and social ruin.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Ravineworld wrote:Ron Paul ought to run as a libertarian or constitutionalist. Do a lot of money bombs and attack both obama and the republicans. He could win on that.

Given that he isn't either one of those things…

Although admittedly he's no more of a constitution rewriter than the "Constitution" Party.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 pm

Death Metal wrote:True, though you can't deny that Beckites and Paulites are just the same apples but from slightly different trees.

:sigh:

<--- supports Ron Paul (sort of).
<--- is not a conspiracy theorist
<--- is an atheist

... anyways, if Paul doesn't win the Republican nomination (and then go off to win the presidency and create an anarchocapitalist world without executive orders/congressional action- only through the might of libertarian public discourse... and, of course, this is how things are looking at the moment, what with his huge victory in South Carolina), he ought to run as a third party candidate to screw the Republicans over and get Obama reelected; hopefully that would piss off the Republicans to radicalize (support another constitutionalist in 2016) or break up as a party (rise of the American Libertarians?).
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Augarundus wrote: hopefully that would piss off the Republicans to radicalize (support another constitutionalist in 2016) or break up as a party (rise of the American Libertarians?).

Wait what Republican candidate is a constitutionalist? Saying that a quick glace reveals that all 4 major candidates still left don't give two shits about the constitution when it conflicts with their ideals.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:45 am

To call Ron Paul a constitutionalist is like calling Taco Bell authentic Mexican food.

If anything, he's an Articles Of Confederationist.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:22 am

Augarundus wrote:
Death Metal wrote:True, though you can't deny that Beckites and Paulites are just the same apples but from slightly different trees.

:sigh:

<--- supports Ron Paul (sort of).
<--- is not a conspiracy theorist
<--- is an atheist

... anyways, if Paul doesn't win the Republican nomination (and then go off to win the presidency and create an anarchocapitalist world without executive orders/congressional action- only through the might of libertarian public discourse... and, of course, this is how things are looking at the moment, what with his huge victory in South Carolina), he ought to run as a third party candidate to screw the Republicans over and get Obama reelected; hopefully that would piss off the Republicans to radicalize (support another constitutionalist in 2016) or break up as a party (rise of the American Libertarians?).

Yeah people do tend to love those who have massively nad obviously pissed on their chips in the past...
Technically a Polanski.

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Death Metal wrote:To call Ron Paul a constitutionalist is like calling Taco Bell authentic Mexican food.

Not really. The guy believes in following the constitution as he interprets it, which is constitutionalism. He is more of a right wing libertarian though.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Ravineworld wrote:
Death Metal wrote:To call Ron Paul a constitutionalist is like calling Taco Bell authentic Mexican food.

Not really. The guy believes in following the constitution as he interprets it, which is constitutionalism. He is more of a right wing libertarian though.

Even when he completely ignores the Constitution by wanting to overturn a Supreme Court decision?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Ravineworld wrote:Not really. The guy believes in following the constitution as he interprets it, which is constitutionalism. He is more of a right wing libertarian though.

Even when he completely ignores the Constitution by wanting to overturn a Supreme Court decision?

Wanting to overturn a Supreme Court decision is not ignoring the Constitution. I'd like the Citizens United decision overturned, frankly. What Ron Paul wants is to forbid the Supreme Court to rule on certain matters.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Ravineworld wrote:

That is a pretty loose definition of constitutionalism, saying I doubt there are many people pushing for legislation that they think is unconstitutional. Therefore, almost everyone is following the constitution as they interprets it meaning everyone is a constitutionalist.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Who is Tom Joad?

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Ravineworld wrote:

Given that he "interprets" it by ignoring everything that tells him he's wrong, up to and including very plain text in the document itself, that's not Constitutionalism, thats denial.

Edit: and that's when he's not saying that he's doing something he believes violates the constitution.
Last edited by Wikkiwallana on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Death Metal wrote:

Saddest thing is, even in Bizarro world his policies wouldn't work. They only work in Ron Paul's heavily edited Sims 3 game where nobody is in the least bit greedy or selfish.

What's that?

I'm just getting word now, even in that fantasy world, Ron Paul's policies still bring economic and social ruin.

What? Ron Paul would only win in a world that wants liberty. I know very few who don't want liberty, but you seem to disagree with liberty more often than not

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Ravineworld wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

What's that?

What? Ron Paul would only win in a world that wants liberty. I know very few who don't want liberty, but you seem to disagree with liberty more often than not

Correction, in a world that wants liberty and is easily flim-flamed into believing Ron Paul represents liberty.

I thank God that the second condition has so far not proven true of this world.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Ravineworld wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

What's that?

A world that wanted liberty wouldn't elect a man who voted for a bill that gives the President the power to do just about anything he wants as long as he claims it's related in some way to the "war on terror".
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Ravineworld wrote:What? Ron Paul would only win in a world that wants liberty. I know very few who don't want liberty, but you seem to disagree with liberty more often than not

A world that wanted liberty wouldn't elect a man who voted for a bill that gives the President the power to do just about anything he wants as long as he claims it's related in some way to the "war on terror".

He did that to show people how bad it could get. When he's president he'll repeal that bill personally. *nod*

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Ravineworld wrote:What? Ron Paul would only win in a world that wants liberty. I know very few who don't want liberty, but you seem to disagree with liberty more often than not

Might I ask what bill was that?

Who is Tom Joad?

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Authorized Use of Military Force act of 2001

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Ravineworld wrote:What? Ron Paul would only win in a world that wants corporate tyranny.

Fixed for realism.

I want liberty. That's exactly why I despise Ron Paul and his ideas.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Ravineworld wrote:What? Ron Paul would only win in a world that wants corporate tyranny.

Fixed for realism.

Ron Pauls positions seem more in line with Christian theocracy than corporate oligarchy. At least, from everything I've seen of them. Seasoned with an unhealthy dose of "free market always knows best", true, but the wants of his religion seem to take precedence over his drive to deregulate.

Xenohumanity wrote:

New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Death Metal wrote:
Fixed for realism.

Ron Pauls positions seem more in line with Christian theocracy than corporate oligarchy. At least, from everything I've seen of them. Seasoned with an unhealthy dose of "free market always knows best", true, but the wants of his religion seem to take precedence over his drive to deregulate.

He apparently has a lot of support among Christian Reconstructionists (grass-roots Dominionists who recognize that any attempt to impose Republic of Gilead-esque theocracy from the top down will fail).
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:15 pm

New Conglomerate wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Ron Pauls positions seem more in line with Christian theocracy than corporate oligarchy. At least, from everything I've seen of them. Seasoned with an unhealthy dose of "free market always knows best", true, but the wants of his religion seem to take precedence over his drive to deregulate.

He apparently has a lot of support among Christian Reconstructionists (grass-roots Dominionists who recognize that any attempt to impose Republic of Gilead-esque theocracy from the top down will fail).

Based on his sponsored legislation, he does seem to the the man for them.

Xenohumanity wrote:

New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
New Conglomerate wrote:He apparently has a lot of support among Christian Reconstructionists (grass-roots Dominionists who recognize that any attempt to impose Republic of Gilead-esque theocracy from the top down will fail).

Based on his sponsored legislation, he does seem to the the man for them.

Definitely. Why college kids like the guy so much I will never know.
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General