NATION

PASSWORD

One Ron Paul Thread to Rule Them All, one thread to find him

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ourfgenstan wrote:
Don't they already have Gary Johnson running for the nomination? He's probably pretty far ahead.

I think if Ron Paul asked to be the nominee they'd accomodate him, don't you? Just on name recognition alone.

especially since johnson has endorsed him repeatedly

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:15 am

ron paul is not going to run on the libertarian ticket unless his son wants to run as a libertarian in the future. dr paul is playing the long game and its not time yet to give up the boost that being a republican gives him.
whatever

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am

Ravineworld wrote:
Death Metal wrote:To call Ron Paul a constitutionalist is like calling Taco Bell authentic Mexican food.

If anything, he's an Articles Of Confederationist.

Not really. The guy believes in following the constitution as he interprets it, which is constitutionalism. He is more of a right wing libertarian though.

Excepting Article VI (which applies federal constitutional law to states), Amendment I (separation of church and states), Amendment XVI and XVII (which he explicitly wants to repeal). His interpretation of Amendment XIV is Plessy-friendly at best. And he would have preferred, from what I can tell, that slavery ended voluntarily on a state-by-state basis, which would be Amendment XIII. And if he knew what Amendment IX actually said, he would find that his "We the people" act is all about trampling over it.

He's not just interpreting the Constitution bizarrely; he also wants to very substantially amend it.
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 am

One Thread to bring them all and in the darkness Bind them!
In the land of NSG, where the shadows lie...

62 pages and no one has said it. come on.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:08 am

United Dependencies wrote:One Thread to bring them all and in the darkness Bind them!

Ahem ...
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:28 am

Farnhamia wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:One Thread to bring them all and in the darkness Bind them!

Ahem ...

It's in the same vein.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Ur-Mordor wrote:Everyone has to die, life is miserable.

Ron Paul, please get cancer.

Wow, that's one syllable away from being the meanest haiku I've ever read.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Change the "has to" into a "will", and it fits, albeit not in the standard format.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Death Metal wrote:Change the "has to" into a "will", and it fits, albeit not in the standard format.

Actually, I meant it was one syllable short, not over.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:41 pm

It's 18 syllables though...
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Death Metal wrote:It's 18 syllables though...

Likely because of my accent, but "every" is being counted as only 1.

Also, on recount, I now get 17 instead of 16, even while counting "every" as 1 syllable. I missed a syllable in the last line on my previous count.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Streamland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Streamland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Depends on your accent. I personally pronounce miserable with 3.
At the beginning there was nothing except for Me and the Word. And then I used the Word to make everything. It was a fragile, entropic, continuously changing world that encompassed both light and darkness, sadness and joy, agony and ecstasy, sin and rescue. I looked down at that barely holding piece of mud, and it was good. I looked up at the entire universe, an unstable sandstorm of stars that would fade just as inevitably as the souls of man, and it was good. There was only one thing out of place, one thing that did not belong: Myself.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:

Likely because of my accent, but "every" is being counted as only 1.

Also, on recount, I now get 17 instead of 16, even while counting "every" as 1 syllable. I missed a syllable in the last line on my previous count.

One syllable? I can make it two, with my London laziness... how do you get to one?
I identify as
a problem

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Likely because of my accent, but "every" is being counted as only 1.

One syllable? I can make it two, with my London laziness... how do you get to one?

"Evry" and blend the v and r so that they are practically one letter.

Then realize you are an idiot and it's still two syllables.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Streamland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Streamland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

"Evry" and blend the v and r so that they are practically one letter.

There is a strict rule in phonetic saying that a syllable must contain one and exactly one vowel. "every" has too vowels because the -ver- consonant particle inside is not silent.
Last edited by Streamland on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the beginning there was nothing except for Me and the Word. And then I used the Word to make everything. It was a fragile, entropic, continuously changing world that encompassed both light and darkness, sadness and joy, agony and ecstasy, sin and rescue. I looked down at that barely holding piece of mud, and it was good. I looked up at the entire universe, an unstable sandstorm of stars that would fade just as inevitably as the souls of man, and it was good. There was only one thing out of place, one thing that did not belong: Myself.

Aquophia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquophia » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Never understood haikus. 17 syllables seems so random and arbitrary.

Streamland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Streamland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Aquophia wrote:Never understood haikus. 17 syllables seems so random and arbitrary.

Japanese people have their 17 and 4, Chinese have their 108, Christians have their trinity.

Can you really say who is the stupid and random one here? (I can but wtvr)

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Streamland wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:"Evry" and blend the v and r so that they are practically one letter.

There is a strict rule in phonetic saying that a syllable must contain one and exactly one vowel. "every" has too vowels because the -ver- consonant particle inside is not silent.

It is around here.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Streamland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Streamland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Streamland wrote:

It is around here.

Then you get the triphthong rule. Since you take -ver- as silent, you must subvocalize it until the word itself sounds like iui. And since a triphthong cannot exist if two of the sounds within are identical or anyway really similar, you have that.

You can also argue that since the first "E" is a long vowel (:), it forces a hiatus.

Aquophia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aquophia » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Streamland wrote:
Aquophia wrote:Never understood haikus. 17 syllables seems so random and arbitrary.

Japanese people have their 17 and 4, Chinese have their 108, Christians have their trinity.

Yeah I figured it was probably religiously based. Still don't like haikus. They have no rhythm to them and when recited, they always sound terribly emo.

I remember watching an episode of Avatar:The Last Airbender. They all got into a Haiku battle. Guess that's the asian version of rap battles. :p

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Streamland wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:It is around here.

Then you get the triphthong rule. Since you take -ver- as silent, you must subvocalize it until the word itself sounds like iui. And since a triphthong cannot exist if two of the sounds within are identical or anyway really similar, you have that.

You can also argue that since the first "E" is a long vowel (:), it forces a hiatus.

You've never heard a southerner say "every" have you? Spelling is more of suggestion than a rule around here.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Aquophia wrote:
Streamland wrote:

Yeah I figured it was probably religiously based. Still don't like haikus. They have no rhythm to them and when recited, they always sound terribly emo.

I remember watching an episode of Avatar:The Last Airbender. They all got into a Haiku battle. Guess that's the asian version of rap battles. :p

That's because Haiku translations rarely flow well. Same with songs.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Ok, I really didn't mean to derail this thread like this. Can we get back on topic before a mod comes by and yells at me?

Xenohumanity wrote:

Aquophia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aquophia » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:32 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:Ok, I really didn't mean to derail this thread like this. Can we get back on topic before a mod comes by and yells at me?

What topic?

Streamland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Streamland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Aquophia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Ok, I really didn't mean to derail this thread like this. Can we get back on topic before a mod comes by and yells at me?

What topic?

Gold nut Mc' bible belt.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General