NATION

PASSWORD

Nativity Scene Controversy in Central Texas

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Moon Cows wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Not really. But it's still against the Constitution. They have the right to protest it.

Of course they do. But is a Nativity Scene inappropriate? It's just symbolizing an actual historical event. (which I'm pretty sure most atheists agree on . . . )

That's like "Merry Christmas" being offensive. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas during the holiday season. . . not a "Happy Holiday", because I don't celebrate holiday. If I was told "Happy Hanukkah", I would say it right back.

The nativity, as commonly depicted, isn't even Biblically supported, much less historically supported.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Moon Cows
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Cows » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Norstal wrote:
Moon Cows wrote:
I agree, it's different, but is it honestly hurting anyone?

It will in the long run.

It sends the message that it's good to have religion in our government. But, I'm sure you're the kind of person who wants that noting your previous posts, so, I won't waste my carpal tunnel integrity.

That's not what I want? lol. I want people to be able to express their religion freely, even in a courthouse.
Economic Left/Right: 3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.41

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
- C.S. Lewis

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Moon Cows wrote:Of course they do. But is a Nativity Scene inappropriate? It's just symbolizing an actual historical event. (which I'm pretty sure most atheists agree on . . . )

That's like "Merry Christmas" being offensive. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas during the holiday season. . . not a "Happy Holiday", because I don't celebrate holiday. If I was told "Happy Hanukkah", I would say it right back.

^This. And if they say they don't celebrate Christmas, I'd be quite happy wishing them a happy holiday of their choice or none at all.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Moon Cows wrote:
Not really. But it's still against the Constitution. They have the right to protest it.

Of course they do. But is a Nativity Scene inappropriate? It's just symbolizing an actual historical event. (which I'm pretty sure most atheists agree on . . . )

It's not really depicting a historic event (like a baby is born in such a glorious matter, messiah or not), and even if it is, how is it relevant to our country without endorsing a religion?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Moon Cows wrote:Of course they do. But is a Nativity Scene inappropriate? It's just symbolizing an actual historical event. (which I'm pretty sure most atheists agree on . . . )

In government property. Do try to keep up.

And LOL actual historical event.

Quite different actually. You saying that doesn't endorse the religion. Merely recognize the celebration exists.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:36 pm

No, it really isn't.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Moon Cows
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Cows » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Moon Cows wrote:

The nativity, as commonly depicted, isn't even Biblically supported, much less historically supported.

People say the Holocaust didn't either.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
- C.S. Lewis

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:A preference towards Christianity by the government isn't an important thing to worry about? I disagree.

When push comes to shove, I'm not really concerned. There's a big difference between putting up a Nativity scene (and logically, by extension Christmas decorations in general should be removed) and creating a real-world Republic of Gilead.

If I wanted to create a real-world Republic of Gilead, my first step would probably be to get as many religious symbols as possible in plain view.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Moon Cows wrote:
Xsyne wrote:The nativity, as commonly depicted, isn't even Biblically supported, much less historically supported.

Wait, what?

Did you just manage to compare the birth of Jesus to the Holocaust?

Wow... I must applaud you for Achievements in Weird. :clap:

Goodbye.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Moon Cows wrote:
Norstal wrote:It will in the long run.

It sends the message that it's good to have religion in our government. But, I'm sure you're the kind of person who wants that noting your previous posts, so, I won't waste my carpal tunnel integrity.

That's not what I want? lol. I want people to be able to express their religion freely, even in a courthouse.

Yes, which is why the atheist banner should be put up as well alongside the nativity scene, albeit with less offensive words. Something the commissioner doesn't want to do.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Moon Cows wrote:People say the Holocaust didn't either.

lol

I don't really think the two are comparable.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Moon Cows wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:A starving child in Africa praying, and receiving nothing?

OK, it may not portray what is mentioned in the banner, but it would look AMAZING.

That's not really even funny. . . at all.

I'm very interested in morbid art, and thus, I would be very much in love with such a sculpture if it was made correctly. Authentic-looking tears running down the cheeks, a look of absolute terror with faint hope...

But that's me. I can understand why you might find the idea repulsive.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Moon Cows
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Cows » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Moon Cows wrote:

It's not really depicting a historic event (like a baby is born in such a glorious matter, messiah or not), and even if it is, how is it relevant to our country without endorsing a religion?

Glorious? LMFAO.

But, eh. You got me there. It does endorse the Christian religion; which perhaps Christians put up? A Church is for the public. . . and it endorses religion?

- C.S. Lewis

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 pm

This conversation is refreshing...
Y'all should see what they are saying on FOX News about this.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Moon Cows wrote:People say the Holocaust didn't either.

lol

I don't really think the two are comparable.

No, they're comparable CM.

Although I forgot where "Mao's Cultural Revolution" is in the Bible. Might be under Luke or Revelations.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:This conversation is refreshing...
Y'all should see what they are saying on FOX News about this.

The first Article is Fox News, isn't it?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Norstal wrote:No, they're comparable CM.

Although I forgot where "Mao's Cultural Revolution" is in the Bible. Might be under Luke or Revelations.

Revelations. My mother assures me it talks about people in helicopters ruling the world.

Moon Cows
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Cows » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Moon Cows wrote:

Wait, what?

I'm saying, you can deny fact if you want to. Doesn't make it a lie. :eyebrow: I'm referring to Jesus being born in a manger. . . that's debatable? mmk.

- C.S. Lewis

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Moon Cows wrote:

Glorious? LMFAO.

But, eh. You got me there. It does endorse the Christian religion; which perhaps Christians put up? A Church is for the public. . . and it endorses religion?

Yeah. Glorious. Three kings? Kind of important.

Yes, it does. Is it property of the government though? No. Is a courthouse? Yes. Does a private institution have to be secular? No. Does the government? Yes.

Goodbye.

New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Moon Cows wrote:

Nobody's really offended by "Merry Christmas." It's just generally considered polite to say "Happy Holidays" if you don't know a person's faith or lack thereof.
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 pm

So the infidels do not want a Chirstmas nativity scene on public property. So have a town vote. That should satifsy the infidels.

Time for a Christmas song :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wrc6Q7a ... re=related
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:A starving child in Africa praying, and receiving nothing?

OK, it may not portray what is mentioned in the banner, but it would look AMAZING.

And then they could retaliate by showing Christian aid workers distributing food and medical care to starving children while the American Atheists do nothing but protest Nativity scenes in Central Texas. Game, set, match.

Because all Christians and all Atheists are the same as their religiously identical?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Emenah
Attaché

Founded: Dec 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emenah » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Moon Cows wrote:

Glorious? LMFAO.

But a church is private property, the important part here is that the government shouldn't endorse any religion, since that is against the U.S. constitution.
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:NS is 20th century warfare using 21st century technology caused by 19th century problems.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Moon Cows wrote:
Wait, what?

I'm saying, you can deny fact if you want to. Doesn't make it a lie. :eyebrow: I'm referring to Jesus being born in a manger. . . that's debatable? mmk.

On NSG?! That.... that practically IS the debate...
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Rio Cana wrote:So the infidels do not want a Chirstmas nativity scene on public property. So have a town vote. That should satifsy the infidels.

Time for a Christmas song :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wrc6Q7a ... re=related

You know who else calls people they hate "infidels"? Al-Qaeda.

I'll be contacting Homeland Security now.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General