NATION

PASSWORD

Nativity Scene Controversy in Central Texas

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm

The Flood wrote:Why don't they just shut the hell up and mind their own damn business? They can rot in hell for all I care, I do not want scrooges ruining the holidays for everyone else. They are being selfish bastards and someone should press charges on them for it.

Because it's a government building.

It's funny how you people are so scared by the introduction of Sharia laws into this country, but not scared of your own religious laws being put into place.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Vetalia wrote:
New Conglomerate wrote:Militant atheists are hated for no reason at all. They don't crash planes into skyscrapers or bomb abortion clinics, yet they're decried as some sort of boogeyman collective.

No, they're just total assholes.

Non-violent assholes. All militant faiths are asshole-y, but these people are acting as if the atheist group declared that Christmas couldn't be celebrated in the town.
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

Kesheru
Envoy

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesheru » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:26 pm

This is nothing on Athiests but them and Agnostics are the only ones with a problem with nativity scenes. I know Jews, Muslims, and Hindus who have absoultely no problem with a Christian Nativity scene at all. You got the radicals of course but the majority really dont seem to mind and quite enjoy looking at them. Calm your ass down Dawkins juniors, its got a baby Jesus calm down hes not here to get you.
Grand Holy Empire of Kesheru
__________GHEoK___________
FACTBOOK
viewtopic.php?ns=1&f=23&t=99389&p=4968429#p4968429

Motto
Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

Battle Cry
"For the Great Sculptor!"

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Flameswroth wrote:Battle gets fought every year. Pointless headache over artistic expression that is steeped in religious lore.

All I can say is, if the atheists do put up their banner, it better be decorated all badass with wreaths and holly and tinsel and whatnot. Because if it's as boring as being just the plain text they say it is:

“At this season of the Winter Solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth & superstition that hardens hearts & enslaves minds.”

...then it will boring and ugly as all hell compared to an artsy setup of sculptures and scenery.

I say they spell it in tinsel, or with fire and spikes. Something festive.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Sleepyyawn
Attaché

Founded: May 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sleepyyawn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:27 pm

They really shouldn't try to tear it down to replace it with an atheist banner. That's just... Stupid.

I don't see how a nativity scene would be offending in any shape or form. It's not a guy walking up to you and smacking you in the face with a Bible >>

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Flameswroth wrote:Battle gets fought every year. Pointless headache over artistic expression that is steeped in religious lore.

All I can say is, if the atheists do put up their banner, it better be decorated all badass with wreaths and holly and tinsel and whatnot. Because if it's as boring as being just the plain text they say it is:

“At this season of the Winter Solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth & superstition that hardens hearts & enslaves minds.”

...then it will boring and ugly as all hell compared to an artsy setup of sculptures and scenery.

I agree with this proposal.

No, you know what, fuck banners. We need a sculpture that conveys this message.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Moon Cows wrote:I'm a Christian, and if a Jewish person put up a Menorah display, I wouldn't be offended. I don't understand why people can claim to be tolerant of everyone but get offended by words like "Christmas", "Hanukkah", and displays of religion.

It's not offensive on private property. A courthouse is a bit different.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Kesheru wrote:This is nothing on Athiests but them and Agnostics are the only ones with a problem with nativity scenes.

Or anyone who doesn't want the government favoring a specific religion.
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Sleepyyawn wrote:They really shouldn't try to tear it down to replace it with an atheist banner. That's just... Stupid.

THEY"RE NOT FUCKING DOING ANYTHING OF THE SORT.
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Moon Cows wrote:I'm a Christian, and if a Jewish person put up a Menorah display, I wouldn't be offended. I don't understand why people can claim to be tolerant of everyone but get offended by words like "Christmas", "Hanukkah", and displays of religion.

Because the government is supposed to be secular, yet obviously, it isn't when the Nativity is displayed without any counterbalance from other religions. And, with Commissioner Hall of the opinion that atheists shouldn't get their banner put up, it isn't secular.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm

New Conglomerate wrote:
Vetalia wrote:
No, they're just total assholes.

Non-violent assholes. All militant faiths are asshole-y, but these people are acting as if the atheist group declared that Christmas couldn't be celebrated in the town.

Nah, militant atheists are quite violent.

It's just that the people generally referred to as militant atheists aren't.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Sleepyyawn wrote:They really shouldn't try to tear it down to replace it with an atheist banner. That's just... Stupid.

They don't want to replace anything, as one astute poster mentioned in the first page.

I don't see how a nativity scene would be offending in any shape or form. It's not a guy walking up to you and smacking you in the face with a Bible >>

No. It's like having your walls, car, and streets plastered with the Bible.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Norstal wrote:

Like Satan battling Zeus with those words and an added "But it would be bad-ass if this kind of thing actually happened"?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Moon Cows
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Cows » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:

It's not offensive on private property. A courthouse is a bit different.

I agree, it's different, but is it honestly hurting anyone?
Economic Left/Right: 3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.41

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
- C.S. Lewis

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:A preference towards Christianity by the government isn't an important thing to worry about? I disagree.

When push comes to shove, I'm not really concerned. There's a big difference between putting up a Nativity scene (and logically, by extension Christmas decorations in general should be removed) and creating a real-world Republic of Gilead.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Norstal wrote:

A starving child in Africa praying, and receiving nothing?

OK, it may not portray what is mentioned in the banner, but it would look AMAZING.

@}-;-'---

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Norstal wrote:I agree with this proposal.

Like Satan battling Zeus with those words and an added "But it would be bad-ass if this kind of thing actually happened"?

I would donate my life-savings to the person who makes that.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Moon Cows wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:It's not offensive on private property. A courthouse is a bit different.

Not really. But it's still against the Constitution. They have the right to protest it.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Moon Cows
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Cows » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Norstal wrote:I agree with this proposal.

A starving child in Africa praying, and receiving nothing?

OK, it may not portray what is mentioned in the banner, but it would look AMAZING.

That's not really even funny. . . at all.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
- C.S. Lewis

Crystalcliff Point
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Crystalcliff Point » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Moon Cows wrote:That's not really even funny. . . at all.

I'd donate to see it happen. It accurately depicts the effectiveness of prayer.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:A starving child in Africa praying, and receiving nothing?

And then they could retaliate by showing Christian aid workers distributing food and medical care to starving children while the American Atheists do nothing but protest Nativity scenes in Central Texas. Game, set, match.
Last edited by Vetalia on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Moon Cows wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:It's not offensive on private property. A courthouse is a bit different.

It will in the long run.

It sends the message that it's good to have religion in our government. But, I'm sure you're the kind of person who wants that noting your previous posts, so, I won't waste my carpal tunnel integrity.

Moon Cows
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Moon Cows » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Moon Cows wrote:

Not really. But it's still against the Constitution. They have the right to protest it.

Of course they do. But is a Nativity Scene inappropriate? It's just symbolizing an actual historical event. (which I'm pretty sure most atheists agree on . . . )

That's like "Merry Christmas" being offensive. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas during the holiday season. . . not a "Happy Holiday", because I don't celebrate holiday. If I was told "Happy Hanukkah", I would say it right back.

- C.S. Lewis

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Moon Cows wrote: It's just symbolizing an actual historical event. (which I'm pretty sure most atheists agree on . . . )

Nah not so much./
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Vetalia wrote:When push comes to shove, I'm not really concerned. There's a big difference between putting up a Nativity scene (and logically, by extension Christmas decorations in general should be removed) and creating a real-world Republic of Gilead.

Not necessarily. A number of Christmas traditions have been entirely removed from their religious origin.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General