NATION

PASSWORD

November 30th Strikes - UK

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Because, of course, we're in exactly the same sitaution as Weimar.

Ow8... we aren't.

3/10 please try harder.

Never said we were, generally cos we aren't printing out couple of million quid every day. Which is what we would be doing, if we simply turned to printing more money to payoff debt.

nowadays we do 75 billion all at once.....
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Myrth wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Obviously, printing money has shown to work very well in the past: indeed, there is also a name for that theory - known as "Money Brick theory". A example of this great theory:-

You make out that I'm advocating printing money. I'm not. It's a simple fact that this is what the BofE is doing, and this helps contribute to the low interest rate you're so keen to point out.

Well, inflation seems to be decreasing as well, so obviously BoE hasn't been using its press much, has it?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Of course there are options other than cutting pensions, options that will hurt less in the long term, par example, cutting down on tax evasion? Are the conservatives looking at this? No. Of course not. They are hitting the poor hardest, which is why unions are necessary to represent the workers in situations where the ruling party does not represent the interests of the working class and does not need to because they only need to represent 51% of the country to get elected (not even that if you take into account turnout in elections).
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

New Kilballyowen
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kilballyowen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Regarding ambulance drivers, nurses and police officers striking, I'm with Calvin Coolidge. "There is no right to strike against the public safety by anybody, anywhere, at any time." If people's lives depend on someone, they shouldn't be striking. The other occupations, lunch ladies and such, I'm more ambivalent about. They aren't endangering lives by striking, so I see no real reason to oppose it.
Last edited by New Kilballyowen on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do!"

Proud holder of a 'AAA' credit rating from Duff & Phelps.

(V)(°,,,°)(V) This is Dr. John Zoidberg. Copy and place in your signature if you enjoy a good scuttle, or are filled with patriotic mucus.

11/28/2011 - New Kilballyowen becomes a leet exporter of cheese: "New Kilballyowen is ranked 1st in Catholic and 1,337th in the world for Largest Cheese Export Sector. "

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Myrth wrote:
Keronians wrote:
You do realise that inflation leads to creditors having to lose money, yes?

Locally, yes. Internationally, no, as the exchange rates offer a buffer and allow for another way to manipulate the markets to make money from differences in currency values.

No, they lose money internationally.

Person A is American. He invests $100 in British bonds. This would be 80 pounds (yes, I know it's not, but assume it is, for simplicity's sake). BofE prints money, causing inflation. Inflation leads to a weaker pound. $1 =/= 80 pence anymore. Now, $1 = 90 pence.

The time comes for the British government to pay back its debt. With an original yield of 10% (ludicrously high, I know, but stick with it), it must pay person A back 88 pounds. At a conversion rate of $1 = 90 pence, you obtain back $97.78 (88 x 10/9).

He has made a loss.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Sovietiya
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovietiya » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Vellosia wrote:
Melmont wrote:And lets be honest, what do private sector business REALLY offer the people of Britain, other than services or products at extortionate prices that rise in line with this ridiculous government & its english banks' figures of inflation and interest rates.

Just about everything you use in your life, interestingly enough.

Actually...

China provides almost everything I use in my life, to be precise.
"I like freedom, but I don't like your freedom."

Myrth
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Myrth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Myrth wrote:
You make out that I'm advocating printing money. I'm not. It's a simple fact that this is what the BofE is doing, and this helps contribute to the low interest rate you're so keen to point out.

Well, inflation seems to be decreasing as well, so obviously BoE hasn't been using its press much, has it?

Actually they printed £75 billion back in October.
NPO dewenda est ;;w;;

Founded: 31st December 2002

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:24 pm

New Kilballyowen wrote:Regarding ambulance drivers, nurses and police officers striking, I'm with Calvin Coolidge. "There is no right to strike against the public safety by anybody, anywhere, at any time." If people's lives depend on someone, they shouldn't be striking. The other occupations, lunch ladies and such, I'm more ambivalent about. They aren't endangering lives by striking, so I see no real reason to oppose it.

I believe abulance drivers and the like do, "emergency only" strikes. thus they still turn up for work and still answer calls but don't do non-essential work.

for example when the coastguard go on strike, they still man the radio and still rescue boats, but don't do radio check, weather reports, all non-essential calls.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Myrth wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Well, inflation seems to be decreasing as well, so obviously BoE hasn't been using its press much, has it?

Which must be pretty reasonable if inflation actually decreased and is predicted to continue downhill.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Myrth wrote:

Which must be pretty reasonable if inflation actually decreased and is predicted to continue downhill.

Growth is expected to go downhill.

I wouldn't rule out another bank liquidation.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Myrth
Retired Moderator

Postby Myrth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Keronians wrote:No, they lose money internationally.

Person A is American. He invests $100 in British bonds. This would be 80 pounds (yes, I know it's not, but assume it is, for simplicity's sake). BofE prints money, causing inflation. Inflation leads to a weaker pound. $1 =/= 80 pence anymore. Now, $1 = 90 pence.

The time comes for the British government to pay back its debt. With an original yield of 10% (ludicrously high, I know, but stick with it), it must pay person A back 88 pounds. At a conversion rate of $1 = 90 pence, you obtain back $97.78 (88 x 10/9).

He has made a loss.

There are so many other factors affecting exchange rate that it doesn't make any difference. Inflation has been running high in the UK for a good year now, and in that time the exchange rate of the Pound to the Dollar has only fluctuated between about $1.5 and $1.6 to the £ sterling.
NPO dewenda est ;;w;;

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Sovietiya wrote:
Vellosia wrote:
Just about everything you use in your life, interestingly enough.

Actually...

I assume you are joking, yes?
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:31 pm

I got yelled at for crossing a picket line at uni.
If they block off both entrances to the compound in which an entire department is situated, that's deliberately blocking it off to the point where I have to cross picket lines.

Not my fault Physics lecturers don't strike because they're all on multi-million pound research grants.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:31 pm

Myrth wrote:
Keronians wrote:No, they lose money internationally.

He has made a loss.

There are so many other factors affecting exchange rate that it doesn't make any difference. Inflation has been running high in the UK for a good year now, and in that time the exchange rate of the Pound to the Dollar has only fluctuated between about $1.5 and $1.6 to the £ sterling.

Yes, yes, that was an extremely simplified model. I even said so in the very post.

The main reason for the lack of fluctuation is the fact that the American exchange rate is not constant. The Federal Reserve in America also carried out its own QE.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Myrth wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Market seems to disagree with IMF, then.
62.3% of GDP - UK - 2.52% Interest rate
63.4% of GDP - Spain - 5.26% Interest rate

Clearly, cuts are working and preventing UK going in general direction of PIGS. Oh, and lets not forget who brought about this mess in first place.

This is because the money markets know that if it comes to it, the UK can simply print more money to pay of its debts, as the Bank of England has been doing.
Spain doesn't have that luxury as it relies on the ECB.

Except there was no sustained drop in gilt yields in November 2009, when QE was increased for the last time until October 2011, and yields have in fact been falling at a steady rate since ~Feb 2011, which didn't see a whacking great devaluation. Indeed, when we did increase QE in October, the yields dropped and then rose, before we continued on the usual downward trend.

Graph
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Myrth
Retired Moderator

Postby Myrth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Myrth wrote:

Inflation fell by about 0.2%, which seasonally is predictable. Food gets cheaper because of heavy discounting by supermarkets and good harvests from the autumn, and transport fares tend to drop because of reduced demand in the winter for flights etc.
NPO dewenda est ;;w;;

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:34 pm

Angleter wrote:
Myrth wrote:
This is because the money markets know that if it comes to it, the UK can simply print more money to pay of its debts, as the Bank of England has been doing.
Spain doesn't have that luxury as it relies on the ECB.

Except there was no sustained drop in gilt yields in November 2009, when QE was increased for the last time until October 2011, and yields have in fact been falling at a steady rate since ~Feb 2011, which didn't see a whacking great devaluation. Indeed, when we did increase QE in October, the yields dropped and then rose, before we continued on the usual downward trend.

Graph

Yeah, that's what he's saying. That there is confidence in the UK because it has a central bank which:

a) Can act as a lender of last resort

b) Is designed so as to suit the specific needs of the UK

Which is not the case for Spain (unfortunately).
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Sovietiya
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovietiya » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Keronians wrote:
Sovietiya wrote:
Actually...

No lol.

The only thing I ever use that does not have MADE IN CHINA printed on it are services.
"I like freedom, but I don't like your freedom."

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Keronians wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Which must be pretty reasonable if inflation actually decreased and is predicted to continue downhill.

Growth has risen from 0.1% to 0.5%.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Keronians wrote:
Angleter wrote:

Graph

Yeah, that's what he's saying. That there is confidence in the UK because it has a central bank which:

Except if QE, and not fiscal policy, was the main force behind our gilt yields decreasing, one would expect the yields to decrease in line with QE being wheeled out. But it isn't. The Bank of England's presence, also, isn't a new phenomenon that has only come to the markets' attention in early 2011.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Sovietiya wrote:
Keronians wrote:

No lol.

The only thing I ever use that does not have MADE IN CHINA printed on it are services.

China doesn't provide it.

The firm paying for its production, gathering the raw materials and building the assets necessary for it, gathering suitable labour, and having the actual product idea is providing the product.

And, anyway, without capital goods (produced in developed countries, i.e. Japan, Germany, etc.), Chinese labourers wouldn't be able to produce this.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Keronians wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/business/euro ... 36741.html
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Myrth
Retired Moderator

Postby Myrth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Angleter wrote:Except if QE, and not fiscal policy, was the main force behind our gilt yields decreasing, one would expect the yields to decrease in line with QE being wheeled out. But it isn't. The Bank of England's presence, also, isn't a new phenomenon that has only come to the markets' attention in early 2011.

The inherent weakness of the Euro is, however.
NPO dewenda est ;;w;;

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Angleter wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Except if QE, and not fiscal policy, was the main force behind our gilt yields decreasing, one would expect the yields to decrease in line with QE being wheeled out. But it isn't. The Bank of England's presence, also, isn't a new phenomenon that has only come to the markets' attention in early 2011.

No, but the lack of that ability for Spanish central banks, Italian central banks, etc. has come to their attention in the late 2000s.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Keronians wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:(Image)

http://www.independent.ie/business/euro ... 36741.html

Growth has been downgraded, but growth is still expected. Ie. GDP is still growing, just at slower rate.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General