NATION

PASSWORD

Obligatory "Fox News Is Evil" Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Not exactly damning evidece.

Claims of lies at best.

Probably what you can blame CNN is not verifying before publishing. It happens in the rush to print these days.

Say they did make it up. Ok that's one.

Have anymore?

I was asked for one and I provided it.

You found one story where a company has made a claim.

Did CNN make it up?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:34 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:HERE is where the analogy was brought up: first post on page two.

where the part about fucking the person mom?

...in your head?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:38 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:HERE is where the analogy was brought up: first post on page two.

I'm sorry but that is hilariously quotable.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:

...in your head?

but you posted it, meaning it came from your head...
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:40 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:...in your head?

No...no I didn't. Didn't you throw a little tizzy fit over people putting words in your mouth not too long ago?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:

No...no I didn't. Didn't you throw a little tizzy fit over people putting words in your mouth not too long ago?

yeah....you did, ill bring it up in a second.
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:42 pm

"Much in the same way what Timmy did next door didn't excuse the shit you did with your momma."

Yeah...you did...

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Fox News writes article with controversial headline in order to spike ratings and business.

More at 11.

Dark Side Messiahs
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Side Messiahs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Another reason I don't watch FOX News
Yep, I'm a Geek. I'm also a left-wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun loving, white, college educated, politically informed, socially abrasive, conservatively liberal male with a big mouth...deal with it.
!!!WARNING!!!
I give it a 1 in 4 chance you will not like my view on certain things,
you might find my opinion off kilter or even offensive.
I don't give a flying fuck how my position makes you feel,
it's my opinion and you won't change my mind.
So save yourself a lot of wasted time trying to argue with me,
don't compile a list of of my posts so you can try to point out the flaws in my beliefs,
you will not win.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:47 pm

North Calaveras wrote:"Much in the same way what Timmy did next door didn't excuse the shit you did with your momma."

Yeah...you did...

Holy jumping Jehoshaphat, you got 'fucking your mom' out of that? Wow...seriously dude, that's messed up. What goes on in your head to make that connection? How...how do you even get there? I was talking about things you did to get in trouble...wow...just...wow. No wonder you're not seeing anything wrong with what Fox did. That's...wow...

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 am

North Calaveras wrote:"Much in the same way what Timmy did next door didn't excuse the shit you did with your momma."

Yeah...you did...

Ok, that's just failure to parse the sentence correctly. A less ambiguous phrasing would have been "Much in the same way your momma didn't excuse the shit you did because of what did next door." No Oedipal implications where intended.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:

Yeah...you did...

Ok, that's just failure to parse the sentence correctly. A less ambiguous phrasing would have been "Much in the same way your momma didn't excuse the shit you did because of what did next door." No Oedipal implications where intended.

well, it sure sounded like it, that's all im saying. I must have read it wrong because it sure sounded wrong.

Straughn
Senator

Founded: Apr 11, 2004

Postby Straughn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 am

Ifreann wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:Is there any way to defend it? Is there any way that Fox can actually spin this as anything other than ideological dishonesty?

Rank incompetence?

Isn't blaming overtly false sensationalism as a specific "libruhl media" trait just an indicator of what kind of journalistic integrity FauX has always held as the highest standard?
Conflats to them, the irony is as tasty as ever.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:14 am

This is simply a brilliant article by David Frum, former speech writer for Bushito.. in which he writes..

But the thought leaders on talk radio and Fox do more than shape opinion. Backed by their own wing of the book-publishing industry and supported by think tanks that increasingly function as public-relations agencies, conservatives have built a whole alternative knowledge system, with its own facts, its own history, its own laws of economics. Outside this alternative reality, the United States is a country dominated by a strong Christian religiosity. Within it, Christians are a persecuted minority. Outside the system, President Obama—whatever his policy ­errors—is a figure of imposing intellect and dignity. Within the system, he’s a pitiful nothing, unable to speak without a teleprompter, an affirmative-action ­phony doomed to inevitable defeat. Outside the system, social scientists worry that the U.S. is hardening into one of the most rigid class societies in the Western world, in which the children of the poor have less chance of escape than in France, Germany, or even England. Inside the system, the U.S. remains (to borrow the words of Senator Marco Rubio) “the only place in the world where it doesn’t matter who your parents were or where you came from.”

If I thought NSG had the application to fully discuss the article, and I include myself in that, I'd make a thread on it.

http://nymag.com/news/politics/conserva ... m-2011-11/
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:54 am

there is only one evil, and that is the tyranny of the dominance of aggressiveness.
faux news is, however, an instrument of perceptual manipulation in support of it.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:00 am

Bombadil wrote:This is simply a brilliant article by David Frum, former speech writer for Bushito.. in which he writes..

But the thought leaders on talk radio and Fox do more than shape opinion. Backed by their own wing of the book-publishing industry and supported by think tanks that increasingly function as public-relations agencies, conservatives have built a whole alternative knowledge system, with its own facts, its own history, its own laws of economics. Outside this alternative reality, the United States is a country dominated by a strong Christian religiosity. Within it, Christians are a persecuted minority. Outside the system, President Obama—whatever his policy ­errors—is a figure of imposing intellect and dignity. Within the system, he’s a pitiful nothing, unable to speak without a teleprompter, an affirmative-action ­phony doomed to inevitable defeat. Outside the system, social scientists worry that the U.S. is hardening into one of the most rigid class societies in the Western world, in which the children of the poor have less chance of escape than in France, Germany, or even England. Inside the system, the U.S. remains (to borrow the words of Senator Marco Rubio) “the only place in the world where it doesn’t matter who your parents were or where you came from.”

If I thought NSG had the application to fully discuss the article, and I include myself in that, I'd make a thread on it.

As someone who doesn't read Fox News, I have to say this 'outside the system' place sounds like it's just inside another little belief system. A rigid class system where the children of the poor can't ever rise above? Obama being a 'figure of imposing intellect and dignity' despite the fact he's barely gaffed less than the last guy, who those 'outside the system' routinely drew comparisons to a chimpanzee?

There also seems to be a belief that most conservative media personalities supported the birther movement, which popped up earlier in this thread. This, despite the fact Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Malkin and numerous other conservative commentators and pundits have stated either that the birth certificate question was idiotic or a poor distraction.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:18 am

Dracoria wrote:
Bombadil wrote:This is simply a brilliant article by David Frum, former speech writer for Bushito.. in which he writes..

As someone who doesn't read Fox News, I have to say this 'outside the system' place sounds like it's just inside another little belief system. A rigid class system where the children of the poor can't ever rise above? Obama being a 'figure of imposing intellect and dignity' despite the fact he's barely gaffed less than the last guy, who those 'outside the system' routinely drew comparisons to a chimpanzee?

There also seems to be a belief that most conservative media personalities supported the birther movement, which popped up earlier in this thread. This, despite the fact Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Malkin and numerous other conservative commentators and pundits have stated either that the birth certificate question was idiotic or a poor distraction.

Perhaps read the entire article.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:26 am

I have. I'm taking issue with the part you quoted in particular.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:32 am

Dracoria wrote:There also seems to be a belief that most conservative media personalities supported the birther movement, which popped up earlier in this thread. This, despite the fact Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Malkin and numerous other conservative commentators and pundits have stated either that the birth certificate question was idiotic or a poor distraction.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201104280017 - not that it matters.

Dracoria wrote:I have. I'm taking issue with the part you quoted in particular.

If you had you wouldn't have made that comment, which was clearly one solely on the quoted text and not the context it in which it was placed.. still you can claim blue in the face you had and I don't suppose I've any means of proving it other than your response.

十年

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 am

Bombadil wrote:
Dracoria wrote:There also seems to be a belief that most conservative media personalities supported the birther movement, which popped up earlier in this thread. This, despite the fact Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Malkin and numerous other conservative commentators and pundits have stated either that the birth certificate question was idiotic or a poor distraction.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201104280017 - not that it matters.

Dracoria wrote:I have. I'm taking issue with the part you quoted in particular.

If you had you wouldn't have made that comment, which was clearly one solely on the quoted text and not the context it in which it was placed.. still you can claim blue in the face you had and I don't suppose I've any means of proving it other than your response.

Yyyeah. Mediamatters is a site that has outright declared war on Fox, so I'm not going to consider them any more objective toward Fox than Fox is toward the president. After reading that page, I'm even less likely to consider MediaMatters to be reliable - it's simply an attack. The fact is, O'Reilly lost some viewership by telling his audience that to give up on the birth certificate.

You quoted that one section with a purpose. Given what I've seen in the past, I can only assume it's that you agree with those lines. Also, my face isn't blue, that's just a trick of the light. Still, you claim I didn't read the article in question? I merely wonder why you didn't quote any other paragraphs that, perhaps, supported your views less.
Also, chocobos.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:20 am

Dracoria wrote:I merely wonder why you didn't quote any other paragraphs that, perhaps, supported your views less.

Such as?

I could have quoted this for context: I’ve been a Republican all my adult life. I have worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal, at Forbes magazine, at the Manhattan and American Enterprise Institutes, as a speechwriter in the George W. Bush administration. I believe in free markets, low taxes, reasonable regulation, and limited government. I voted for John ­McCain in 2008, and I have strongly criticized the major policy decisions of the Obama administration. But as I contemplate my party and my movement in 2011, I see things I simply cannot support.

..but perhaps better to quote this: The business model of the conservative media is built on two elements: provoking the audience into a fever of indignation (to keep them watching) and fomenting mistrust of all other information sources (so that they never change the channel). As a commercial proposition, this model has worked brilliantly in the Obama era. As journalism, not so much.

十年

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:22 am

Dracoria wrote:Yyyeah. Mediamatters is a site that has outright declared war on Fox, so I'm not going to consider them any more objective toward Fox than Fox is toward the president.

'Poisoning the well' is a logical fallacy. You're writing off the evidence because you don't like the source. What you really need to do is find evidence that contradicts that source.

For example, I earlier presented evidence from both Mediamatters AND the Media Research Center (left AND right wing media watchdogs) about Fox's position on the story that is the topic of the thread. You can try to write-off Mediamatters as a reliable source about the topic of the thread... but the Media Research Center backs their claims, albeit with a different slant to the reporting.

Dracoria wrote: After reading that page, I'm even less likely to consider MediaMatters to be reliable - it's simply an attack. The fact is, O'Reilly lost some viewership by telling his audience that to give up on the birth certificate.

The link discussed Limbaugh and his pretence that he is not, and never has been, involved in the 'birther' phenomenon.

You want to ignore that source, because of the political alignment of MediaMatters, but the truth is - rightwing groups seem to think Limbaugh is doing the same, like the conservative Newsmax media organisation:

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/rush ... /id/383577
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:24 am

Dracoria wrote:

As someone who doesn't read Fox News, I have to say this 'outside the system' place sounds like it's just inside another little belief system. A rigid class system where the children of the poor can't ever rise above? Obama being a 'figure of imposing intellect and dignity' despite the fact he's barely gaffed less than the last guy...

Both of those sound like reasonable claims, actually.
I identify as
a problem

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:57 am

North Calaveras wrote:On Nationstates, being anywhere near the right-wing, no way.

it's not like there are dozen of democracy hating fascists nope

Hellenic Protectorates wrote:Meanwhile, any opinion not fully held by the "herd" is openly heckled,

Someone debating your opinion's validity? Heckling. It's harassment. Absolutely disgraceful. How dare people discuss politics on a political discussion forum. Makes me sick so it does.

Hellenic Protectorates wrote:and the poster attacked personally,

People are only arseholes to conservatives. No one in the cushy left wing club is insulted. Disgusting isn't it.

Hellenic Protectorates wrote:and the argument not taken seriously,

Dumb as shit arguments being by and large dismissed, I tell you. What is the world coming to.

Hellenic Protectorates wrote: with responses from opposition degrading to " :roll: ".

Don't forget Sibirsky's :palm:

New Nassrau wrote:Well, In a sea of far worse liberals, Fox News is a last beacon of hope for conservatives

It makes us laugh at you.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:16 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:Is there any way to defend it? Is there any way that Fox can actually spin this as anything other than ideological dishonesty?

They can always pull a History Channel, 'Ancient Aliens' trump card. They can say all sorts of baseless, speculative shit on that show for entertainment value and they get away with it on a channel based on actual history.
'Was this man an 'Occupy' shooter? And if he was, what was his motive? According to modern 'Occupy' theorists, the answer may lie in the makeshift housing of the 'Occupy' movement'...

"We searched high and low, and we couldn't find a single scrap of evidence that he was or was not attached to the 'Occupy' movement. We just don't know!"

'With 'Occupy' gunmen roving the streets, can we really say they come in peace? Or are their motives...more sinister? Do they take orders from the unions? Or are their leaders extraterrestrial in origin? If modern 'Occupy' theorists are correct, the answers are a resounding 'yes' and 'yes'!'
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General