NATION

PASSWORD

Jesus died for you.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Jesus died for you.

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Okay, explain something to me. According to Christian doctrine, I'm born automatically sinful, no matter what. Because of this, I apparently deserve death. However, I am allowed to displace this punishment by killing something else, like a goat or other animal. Of course, since Jesus died on the cross, I no longer have to sacrifice anything, because his death acts like the sacrifice for everyone.

Okay, I have some problems with this.

1. Why am I born automatically sinful? Doesn't that mean that sin has no connection to actual wrongs I commit? Doesn't that mean that the game is just rigged against me automatically?

2. How do I deserve death for sin? Does god not recognize gradations? He really sees every sin as equally bad? Shouldn't an all-powerful and all-knowing being have MORE capacity to see shades of gray, and MORE capacity to see the subtleties of the world? Why does god think in such childishly simplistic binary terms?

3. How does the death of something else make my sin go away? Punishing an innocent person for someone else's crimes does not serve justice. In fact, it compounds injustice and makes it even worse. Not only is the guilty person getting off free, but some innocent being is punished in their stead. From both the standpoint of justice and the standpoint of utilitarian minimization of harm, the idea of penal substitution simply fails to be moral or even coherent.

4. Why is god incapable of forgiving sin without such an elaborate and pointless ritual when I, a lowly human, can forgive transgressions against me with ease? Surely it would be easy for an ALL-POWERFUL being to forgive sins without sacrificing himself to himself.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:00 pm

cue christian extremists and wrathful atheists in 3....2....1....
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:1. Why am I born automatically sinful? Doesn't that mean that sin has no connection to actual wrongs I commit? Doesn't that mean that the game is just rigged against me automatically?

Yes.
2. How do I deserve death for sin? Does god not recognize gradations? He really sees every sin as equally bad? Shouldn't an all-powerful and all-knowing being have MORE capacity to see shades of gray, and MORE capacity to see the subtleties of the world? Why does god think in such childishly simplistic binary terms?

Because he chooses to. Because gray is the product of human morality.
3. How does the death of something else make my sin go away? Punishing an innocent person for someone else's crimes does not serve justice. In fact, it compounds injustice and makes it even worse. Not only is the guilty person getting off free, but some innocent being is punished in their stead. From both the standpoint of justice and the standpoint of utilitarian minimization of harm, the idea of penal substitution simply fails to be moral or even coherent.

Actually, considering the idea that someone must be punished in equal measure in order to remove the wrong from the world... It does, in God's eyes.
4. Why is god incapable of forgiving sin without such an elaborate and pointless ritual when I, a lowly human, can forgive transgressions against me with ease? Surely it would be easy for an ALL-POWERFUL being to forgive sins without sacrificing himself to himself.

Surely making it easy would defeat the purpose?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:03 pm

Mister Four-Sided-Triangles, I must congratulate you. Never before have I seen a more perfect thread to launch an apocalyptic flamewar between fundie Christians and militant atheists.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:03 pm

1,2,3,4: Its a fairytale. Expect convoluted plots to be plentiful to get half-assed points across.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Eslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Eslovakia » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:03 pm

The one thing god (if hes up there...) can't do...forgive
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Some good info on Sweden
Birkaine wrote:Idiots who are not only aware of their idiocy but hell bent on keeping it regardless of how much disruption they cause deserve to eat a dick
Birkaine wrote:How about we have a thread that's just about some guy getting a back alley handjob from a New Delhi whore but we write it in such technical and obtuse language that the mods won't notice? First one to get banned loses.

Birkaine wrote:Are you seriously trying to turn this into a conversation on whether or not you're a human?
2QTBSTR8 ~ oHai thar! ~ I'm Bisexual, for LGBT rights and this is how I live my life regardless of other peoples opinions.
If you support LGBT rights, feel free to add this to your signature ~~~ヾ(^∇^)

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:03 pm

Rupudska wrote:Mister Four-Sided-Triangles, I must congratulate you. Never before have I seen a more perfect thread to launch an apocalyptic flamewar between fundie Christians and militant atheists.

ninja'd you
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Beldonia
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:Okay, explain something to me. According to Christian doctrine, I'm born automatically sinful, no matter what. Because of this, I apparently deserve death. However, I am allowed to displace this punishment by killing something else, like a goat or other animal. Of course, since Jesus died on the cross, I no longer have to sacrifice anything, because his death acts like the sacrifice for everyone.

1. Why am I born automatically sinful? Doesn't that mean that sin has no connection to actual wrongs I commit? Doesn't that mean that the game is just rigged against me automatically?

1. Because Eve comitted the original sin. In this case, yes. And yes.

2. You don't. You won't go to hell unless you sin A LOT. He does see shades of gray. If he is all-knowing, then he sees your intentions.

3. Jesus was fine with it. That was the whole plan from the beginning. I don't really have a good answer for you, I just think you should be happy that Jesus died for you....if you believe that.

4. Yeah.....I've never quite gotten that. But I kind of just go along with it. Going to confession doesn't really tax me that much in terms of time.

Vorradia
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorradia » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:Okay, explain something to me. According to Christian doctrine, I'm born automatically sinful, no matter what. Because of this, I apparently deserve death. However, I am allowed to displace this punishment by killing something else, like a goat or other animal. Of course, since Jesus died on the cross, I no longer have to sacrifice anything, because his death acts like the sacrifice for everyone.

Of course it doesn't make any sense, its a load of nonsense.

Christian doctrine is so horrendously unfair because it was formed by a human-hating self-pitying medieval clergy that thought that man was a despicable and disgusting result accident.
Vorradia. A place where freedom is a fading memory. At the heart of the sprawling, embattled province lies Imperial City. Or as the city is really called by the poor souls who inhabit it: Forsaken Hope. Here they suffer under a fanatically religious totalitarian regime. Outside the city walls lies a frozen and inhospitable wasteland. The people here live free from government control, but at a terrible price. They live in small nomadic communities, struggling to survive in the harsh climate.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Don't try to bring logic into this.

THIS IS CHRISTIANITY, BITCH.

Convert. That way you don't have to ask so many questions. :lol:
Last edited by The Rich Port on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:
Rupudska wrote:Mister Four-Sided-Triangles, I must congratulate you. Never before have I seen a more perfect thread to launch an apocalyptic flamewar between fundie Christians and militant atheists.

ninja'd you

Meh.

*reads Beldonia's and Vorradia's posts* And so it begins.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Whether Jesus' death was real, I am not sure. But to me, it reperesents the death and resurrection of innocence in humanity. Which is cryptic, I know.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Because he chooses to. Because gray is the product of human morality.

Gray is the product of the world being to complex to break down in terms of simplistic ideals of behavior. Gray is the product of all such simplistic systems inevitably leading to contradictions and paradoxes when placed into the complexities of reality.

Actually, considering the idea that someone must be punished in equal measure in order to remove the wrong from the world... It does, in God's eyes.

"Wrong" is not a substance that can be removed from anything in the same way you wash dirt off your hands. In addition, justice is contingent upon the RIGHT person getting punishment. Utilitarian measures aren't even concerned with punishment if it's unnecessary to improve the world.

How exactly is punishing an innocent bystander going to lead to either justice or a better outcome? How will it improve the universe?

Surely making it easy would defeat the purpose?

What purpose? The whole system serves no greater purpose than god's amusement.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Secular Sweden
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Secular Sweden » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:10 pm

I bring the popcorn! Let us enjoy the show...
You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded. Because the elements, the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars. And the only way they could get into your body is if the stars were kind enough to explode.

So forget Jesus. The stars died so you could be here today.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Secular Sweden wrote:

I bring the popcorn! Let us enjoy the show...

My atheist friend, let us put aside our religious differences and enjoy the show! *puts on heat shield*
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:Gray is the product of the world being to complex to break down in terms of simplistic ideals of behavior. Gray is the product of all such simplistic systems inevitably leading to contradictions and paradoxes when placed into the complexities of reality.

Incorrect, God can see and define things as right and wrong without any inbetween, as he defines right and wrong.
"Wrong" is not a substance that can be removed from anything in the same way you wash dirt off your hands.

Erm, according to Christian theology? It obviously is.
In addition, justice is contingent upon the RIGHT person getting punishment. Utilitarian measures aren't even concerned with punishment if it's unnecessary to improve the world.

Why is God interested in Utilitarianism?
How exactly is punishing an innocent bystander going to lead to either justice or a better outcome? How will it improve the universe?

By getting rid of the sin/why is that God's concern?
What purpose? The whole system serves no greater purpose than god's amusement.

You make that assertion here, but before this you reject it?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Beldonia
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Rupudska wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:ninja'd you

Meh.

*reads Beldonia's and Vorradia's posts* And so it begins.

I'm actually not in the mood to argue with devout athiests today. I was just saying what I think. If I see something that evokes strong emotions or that I feel I need to say something about, however, I will.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Trolling and baseless, ideological clashes begin....................now!

Osoaribbean
Envoy

Founded: Mar 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Osoaribbean » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Let's ..Original sin...Garden of Eden...um.

Rupduska is right, flamewar, so I'll give the give cliff note version I have used in my life.

God may forgive you, I will not. So give your heart to Jesus, because your ass belongs to the Corps.

United States Marine Corps Doctrine that predates R.Lee Ermy's use of it in "Full Metal Jacket"
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Marohirohi
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Marohirohi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:-snip-

Because there is no god.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:Trolling and baseless, ideological clashes begin....................now!

:eyebrow: I don't think you give us too much credit.

IMO, Adam and Eve weren't real. The concept of original sin is, therefore, bunk.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:Trolling and baseless, ideological clashes begin....................now!

already started

Personally i dont believe any religion but i also dont care what other people follow. Its their choice.

Still, this is going to be an interesting war to watch

The Floridian Coast
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floridian Coast » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:15 pm

It is already completely absurd to think that a being infinitely more complex than us would be at all concerned with our 'sins' anymore than we would make moral judgments about movements of bacteria within a petri dish.
Philosophy: Epicurean/Marxist Synthesis
Politics: Democratic Socialism, New Left, Progressivism
Supporter of OWS - Registered Democrat - Positive Atheist
"Where were you when they passed us over for the lotteries of birth? Complacency conditioned to suffer. What's the price, what's it worth?" - Strike Anywhere, Detonation

Kevinland12
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kevinland12 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:16 pm

no he did not he died becase he was a crimalnal and thats all so ;)

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Because peopl believe it. People are lemmings.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General