NATION

PASSWORD

Science, Space Travel, Cures

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Science, Space Travel, Cures

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Wed May 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Trippoli wrote:This just came to mind.

If all nations were to drop their weapons, strengthen the UN, and put all of its spending into Science and the needs of our population.

> Find the cure for Cancer and other diseases faster.
> Explore the rest of the World's oceans.
> Faster and cheaper ways for Space Exploration.
> Planet/Satellite colonization.
> Finding life on other planets.
> Discovering new technologies for better communication, trade, and Entertainment.

Imagine what the Human race could discover if all the money they put into wars, their military, and useless programs. Imagine what we could discover by the end of the 21st century.

Just a Thought.

I think it's worth trying.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Wed May 27, 2009 7:00 pm

:rofl:

"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed May 27, 2009 7:07 pm

If all nations were to drop their weapons, strengthen the UN, and put all of its spending into Science and the needs of our population.

> Discovering new technologies for better communication, trade, and Entertainment.

Imagine what the Human race could discover if all the money they put into wars, their military, and useless programs. Imagine what we could discover by the end of the 21st century.

Just a Thought.

Actually, much human technology is derived first from warfare. Even medical science. I think the better argument for scientific advancement would be to suggest an increase in warfare, after all spacce travel/exploration is the result of military pressure, as is much of aviation science.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Wed May 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Ravea wrote:All that stuff would certainly be possible.

But people are stupid.

Really, really stupid.

this is true, or often true, but it is also subject to change, if only temporarily, but sometimes temporarily is enough, without notice or prior written consent.

when the day comes that people stop repressing their imaginations, stop conning each other into doing so, so that they can wake up and realize they don't have to be scared to death of peace, then of course, that is when they'll stop looking for and finding excuses for war, and various nearly as violent equivalents, such as economic ones.

it is absolutely true that the rediculous amounts that are spent on wars and preperations for wars, even small fractions of, in useful places could do tremendous, almost unimaginably tremendous, amounts of good.

one of the things i find encouraging is that more and more people are finally begining to figgure that out.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Wed May 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Here's your next challenge:

Peacefully convince the world to unite under one banner.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

And my idol...

Good luck convincing them to go with democracy, lay down their weapons, and stop conquering things.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Wed May 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Just a Thought.

Strengthen the U.N.? Talk about throwing resources away.
Before doing away with the weapons of war, you need to motivate the greedy, the fearful and the insane to cooperate for peace.
Still, I appreciate the sentiment and the thought of progress for all humankind.

Curing diseases. There are many people employed by both government funded labs and private industry labs. I kind of expect the cures to come from private industry.

Explore the rest of the Earth's oceans. I'm with you whole heartedly. I think colonizing the continental shelves would be good practice for another item on your list.

Faster and Cheaper Space Exploration? As much as I want more to happen more quickly, I don't believe in "cheap" in life and death hostile environments. Direct exposure to outer space is a bad thing for the human body.

Make that satellite and then planet colonization. The Moon would be a great stepping stone with resources with which to head off to Mars and the outer planets and moons from.

Well, I like military things and I'm not going to assume that if there are races on other worlds and in space that they won't think I'm tasty.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

East Glacia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Glacia » Wed May 27, 2009 11:07 pm

A large amount of technical innovations have been exponentially hastened by their necessity in war, and also have opened up other areas that could be utilized my the private sector and help the public. I believe non-perishable goods are one such byproduct.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General