NATION

PASSWORD

Why are most atheists left-wing?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Seperates wrote:The "social contract" stems from Enlightenment ideology, and while much of it was atheistic in nature, atheism was not the basis of the contract. And the contract works, 200 year old stable democracy is evidence of that.

Well I personally think democracy is horrific, and the social contract is mysticism.

And I personally think that you need to do some research and find a system that has worked better in centuries past.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Ilhuikatl
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ilhuikatl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:55 pm

i am a conservative member of the republican party, i am an atheist.

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:Do you think the police and their crony buddies actually give a crap?

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Well what is the remedy? Violent revolution? Violent revolution doesn't work and is also disturbing and frankly just uncivil. You can't beat them in their our monopoly courts, so that avenue is gone. You can also practice civil disobedience, but filming officers in some places is a felony and can result in life sentences for older people. You need a public outcry and public awareness to defeat them, the only way to do that is through education.
Ben is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and culturally liberal. Ben's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +8.74 right
Social issues: +9.56 libertarian
Foreign policy: +10 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +7.74 liberal
"NSG, where anything more progressive than North Korea is a freedom loving, liberal Utopia"
- GeneralHaNor

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Such laws are unconstitutional, and if they try to enforce it, you have grounds for judicial remedy.

Do you think the police and their crony buddies actually give a crap?

So what? Are you going to cower in the corner like a baby? Or are you going to sue their asses like a man!
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:Do you think the police and their crony buddies actually give a crap?

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

I'm not saying do nothing, that's the opposite of what I say.
I'm just pointing out that whether it's constitutional or not isn't going to help you.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
“It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful.” - Anton Szandor LaVey
"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
"Morality is a device for controlling the gullible with words." - L A Rollins

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:57 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Well what is the remedy? Violent revolution? Violent revolution doesn't work and is also disturbing and frankly just uncivil. You can't beat them in their our monopoly courts, so that avenue is gone. You can also practice civil disobedience, but filming officers in some places is a felony and can result in life sentences for older people. You need a public outcry and public awareness to defeat them, the only way to do that is through education.

They have been muthafucking beaten in the courts. It is now legal to take pictures of the police. I REPEAT: It is now legal to take pictures of the police.

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Seperates wrote:

So what? Are you going to cower in the corner like a baby? Or are you going to sue their asses like a man!

Can't sue (and win) when the courts are on their side. Not to mention the trial isn't "fair" because the judge and the prosecutor both work for the state.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

I'm just pointing out that whether it's constitutional or not isn't going to help you.

Why not use every weapon available in your arsenal? There are plenty of people in the ACLU who would be willing to take your case pro bono should you find yourself in trouble.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Terra Agora wrote:

Actually it helps you alot. Because if the police beat you up and confiscate your camera, you can sue their asses off in a court of law.

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Seperates wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:
Well I personally think democracy is horrific, and the social contract is mysticism.

And I personally think that you need to do some research and find a system that has worked better in centuries past.

Well, arguably monarchies were better to be honest. Personally I am against the state, but if you want a form of governance that has actually existed before, then at least in theory monarchies were a better form of government. Democracy is like a publicly owned state that suffers from tragedy of the commons and all the other problems that public land has. Monarchies were a privatized state where the King at least had incentive to raise the value of his property (the country) so he could sell portions of it off or pass it on to his children etc.
Last edited by ZombieRothbard on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and culturally liberal. Ben's scores (from 0 to 10):
"NSG, where anything more progressive than North Korea is a freedom loving, liberal Utopia"
- GeneralHaNor

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Seperates wrote:So what? Are you going to cower in the corner like a baby? Or are you going to sue their asses like a man!

Can't sue (and win) when the courts are on their side. Not to mention the trial isn't "fair" because the judge and the prosecutor both work for the state.

Yes, it is, as A CASE WENT ALL THE WAY UP TO THE SUPREME COURT.

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Seperates wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:

They have been muthafucking beaten in the courts. It is now legal to take pictures of the police. I REPEAT: It is now legal to take pictures of the police.

Take pictures? Or film?
- GeneralHaNor

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Seperates wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:I'm not saying do nothing, that's the opposite of what I say.

Actually it helps you alot. Because if the police beat you up and confiscate your camera, you can sue their asses off in a court of law.

No one mentioned them beating you yet. If that's the case then it's a no brainer to bring them to court. The odds are drastically in your favor. (especially if the ACLU tags along)

My point being, the courts aren't the answer.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Seperates wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:Can't sue (and win) when the courts are on their side. Not to mention the trial isn't "fair" because the judge and the prosecutor both work for the state.

Yes, it is, as A CASE WENT ALL THE WAY UP TO THE SUPREME COURT.

If your case goes to the supreme court that's a totally different story. None the less the so called fair trial you have a "right" to isn't that fair.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:01 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Seperates wrote:And I personally think that you need to do some research and find a system that has worked better in centuries past.

Well, arguably monarchies were better to be honest. Personally I am against the state, but if you want a form of governance that has actually existed before, then at least in theory monarchies were a better form of government. Democracy is like a publicly owned state that suffers from tragedy of the commons and all the other problems that public land has. Monarchies were a privatized state where the King at least had incentive to raise the value of his property (the country) so he could sell portions of it off or pass it on to his children etc.

And this fell apart. Not before stifling public knowledge and intellectual development for 800 years or so. Democracy works because it allows for people to participate. The reason our's doesn't work as well as it could is because 50% of our population are considered to be "idiotes" by greek standards.
Last edited by Seperates on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Seperates wrote:Yes, it is, as A CASE WENT ALL THE WAY UP TO THE SUPREME COURT.

If your case goes to the supreme court that's a totally different story. None the less the so called fair trial you have a "right" to isn't that fair.

Courts must set a precedent. If not, I'm sure the ACLU would be glad to appeal it up there and provide funding.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:03 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Seperates wrote:And I personally think that you need to do some research and find a system that has worked better in centuries past.

No, they weren't, but that's a different topic.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Seperates wrote:Actually it helps you alot. Because if the police beat you up and confiscate your camera, you can sue their asses off in a court of law.

No one mentioned them beating you yet. If that's the case then it's a no brainer to bring them to court. The odds are drastically in your favor. (especially if the ACLU tags along)

Actually they are. They are the civil answer.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Seperates wrote:They have been muthafucking beaten in the courts. It is now legal to take pictures of the police. I REPEAT: It is now legal to take pictures of the police.

Take pictures? Or film?

Both.

Soviet Engineers
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Engineers » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 pm

I dunno...why do most people who believe their God is a guy who said rich men aren't exactly the bee's knees align themselves with the right-wing?
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

“In point of substantial merit the law school belongs in the modern university no more than a school of fencing or dancing” - Thorstein Veblen

"History doesn't make something right. Consensus is not a fact-based excercise. You're tied and bound to the self-indulgent enterprise we call 'America'." - Bad Religion

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Seperates wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:No one mentioned them beating you yet. If that's the case then it's a no brainer to bring them to court. The odds are drastically in your favor. (especially if the ACLU tags along)

Actually they are. They are the civil answer.

If they were then why do we still have unconstitutional laws.
Courts aren't the answer, reform isn't the answer, direct action is the answer.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Seperates wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:

And this fell apart. Not before stifling public knowledge and intellectual development for 800 years or so. Democracy works because it allows for people to participate. The reason our's doesn't work as well as it could is because 50% of our population are considered to be "idiotes" by greek standards.

I don't like blaming the people for anything, because it isn't the people who have changed. Ancient people were the same as people today, people haven't gotten DUMBER in that they haven't devolved. The problem isn't the people, its the system they live under. Our society is full of idiots in my opinion because of the public education system and this perpetual state mysticism that has been passed down from generation to generation. Us being a part of the government is the problem, because it creates all sorts of populist/nationalist/jingoist war fervors (that also existed under monarchies, but still exist today). Basically, democracy just lulls us into believing we are in control, and as a result we are all implicated in the states crimes against humanity. Now the blood is on all our hands instead of just the King.
- GeneralHaNor

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:06 pm

All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Seperates wrote:And this fell apart. Not before stifling public knowledge and intellectual development for 800 years or so. Democracy works because it allows for people to participate. The reason our's doesn't work as well as it could is because 50% of our population are considered to be "idiotes" by greek standards.

I don't like blaming the people for anything, because it isn't the people who have changed. Ancient people were the same as people today, people haven't gotten DUMBER in that they haven't devolved. The problem isn't the people, its the system they live under. Our society is full of idiots in my opinion because of the public education system and this perpetual state mysticism that has been passed down from generation to generation. Us being a part of the government is the problem, because it creates all sorts of populist/nationalist/jingoist war fervors (that also existed under monarchies, but still exist today). Basically, democracy just lulls us into believing we are in control, and as a result we are all implicated in the states crimes against humanity. Now the blood is on all our hands instead of just the King.

You are calling me an idiot because I go to public school, you realize that right? When I say "idiotes" I mean one who doesn't pay attention to politics, or political matters. Certaintly someone as knowledgable as you would know that. And no, at least in my Gov course they made no allusions to the "people being in control" in fact they expliticitly stated that "the population has direct control over few state matters and very few federal matters". The rest is based on representatives that, even though we elect them, do not always share our opinions on everything and may not actaully vote in the majority of his districts opinion.

Every system will have it's "populist/nationalist/jingoist war fervors" but at least in a democracy they aren't the only one's represented because the canidates NEED moderate votes to have a chance to win. We are not lulled into anything, it's just that we choose not to participate, we choose to ignore the process and the system.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Seperates wrote:Actually they are. They are the civil answer.

If they were then why do we still have unconstitutional laws.
Courts aren't the answer, reform isn't the answer, direct action is the answer.

Because change is slow. If it isn't slow the population will not accept it. There will always be unconstitutional laws, but they will all be eventually repealed and/or replaced.

If we gave up because the process was slow, we'd have given up science a long time ago.
Last edited by Seperates on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General