NATION

PASSWORD

Why are most atheists left-wing?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

Well, when you can invent a machine that can call down manna from heaven so that I don't have to leave my room, we'll have that fixed. But for now, we're all in this together.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Paragade
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paragade » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 pm

I think a lot of Libertarians are Atheist also. I'm part of a bungie.net group that's for Atheists and it's half and half when it comes to who's left wing and who's Libertarian in the group. Marx advocated Atheism which is probably why a lot of Atheists are left wing.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Intangelon wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:
Really?, you say things like the underlined and wonder why you are called "America hatin"
You are correct, you haven't turned Conservative into a dirty word, rather you have turned "American" to be synonymous for Ignorant.

If the dunce cap fits...

Liberal elite's provide me with constant amusement

Ivory Tower much?
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:32 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Intangelon wrote:If the dunce cap fits...

Liberal elite's provide me with constant amusement

Ivory Tower much?

Meh, when 50% of your population participates in elections...
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Seperates wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:
Yeah, positive law, total utilitarian trash.

That allows you to post such views. Gotta love democratic freedom friend ;)

Don't gotta do anything, a man is free until acted against by an outside force that seeks to impose it's will against his own.

The State is that force (and I'll add for my leftist friends, Capitalism) It doesn't "allow" us to do anything, it has simply not gotten around to preventing us from doing so.
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Seperates wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:Liberal elite's provide me with constant amusement

Ivory Tower much?

Meh, when 50% of your population participates in elections...

Voter participation numbers mean nothing. a lot of people feel that statistically speaking their votes mean nothing, and technically, that is true.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Seperates wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:
What? I was referring to filming police officers in the field.

You can do that now as well. Supreme Court ruled it so.

That won't stop cops in the field from being ignorant of their own law (or not caring at all) smashing your camera, and your face.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:
I am an atheist.

And it is no more a strawman than virtually every post on here accusing libertarians of being authoritarians or corporatists.

One ill turn does not deserve another.

Considering you dedicated an entire thread to the subject, it's hardly an equivalent turn

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Keronians wrote:I'm neither atheist and I'm neither a believer of the free market in the sense most anarchists, libertarians, etc. use the term.

I do not consider myself dumb.

:brofist:

Reads mah sig
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Seperates wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:
Well what is the remedy? Violent revolution? Violent revolution doesn't work and is also disturbing and frankly just uncivil. You can't beat them in their our monopoly courts, so that avenue is gone. You can also practice civil disobedience, but filming officers in some places is a felony and can result in life sentences for older people. You need a public outcry and public awareness to defeat them, the only way to do that is through education.

They have been muthafucking beaten in the courts. It is now legal to take pictures of the police. I REPEAT: It is now legal to take pictures of the police.

Tell them that, when they are taking the nightsticks to your ribcage

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Amateureconomist wrote:Why people smart enough to be atheists are not smart enough to understand the free market?

Because it requires me to believe in something, the same way religion require me to believe in a deity.

I don't believe in things. Either they are observable facts or they're not. Hence why I just can't be an economist.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:54 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:One ill turn does not deserve another.

Considering you dedicated an entire thread to the subject, it's hardly an equivalent turn

Trotsky is a libertarian. So of course he can do a thread on his own ideology.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Norstal wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:

Trotsky is a libertarian. So of course he can do a thread on his own ideology.

Considering his support of central planning, I wouldn't identify him as such, in much the same way that I wouldn't identify myself as a duck

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:One ill turn does not deserve another.

So, as a libertarian, I am not allowed to criticize the very unlibertarian tendencies that I see in some libertarians?

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:58 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Norstal wrote:Trotsky is a libertarian. So of course he can do a thread on his own ideology.

Considering his support of central planning, I wouldn't identify him as such, in much the same way that I wouldn't identify myself as a duck

I don't support central planning. I support participatory planning.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:

So, as a libertarian, I am not allowed to criticize the very unlibertarian tendencies that I see in some libertarians?

No, I'm saying "Don't throw stones" One ill turn does not deserve another, is such a stone.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:

Nah, your membership got revoked remember? :P

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:

I don't support central planning. I support participatory planning.

My apologies, I am mistaken then

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

Well, when you can invent a machine that can call down manna from heaven so that I don't have to leave my room, we'll have that fixed. But for now, we're all in this together.

I'd get right on it, but I'm busy sitting quietly right now.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Because reality has a liberal bias. /thread
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Infinite Harmony
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Infinite Harmony » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Re. the comment: "Why people smart enough to be atheists are not smart enough to understand the free market?"

I agree with another poster here that academia has adopted a leftist and atheistic mindset in the last few decades, though it was not always this way. Leftists as a general rule tend to have a horrible understanding of economics (no offense to leftists here, just my personal understanding), and have since at least the days of Karl Marx.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ch ... in_science, which shows that many excellent scientists were also very religious,

and http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Physics-An ... 0268034710 (from a Ph. D in physics, an impressive feat.) which discusses the extremely small odds of intelligent life arising from chance alone from a physics standpoint, as well as dealing with other logical inconsistencies in the strictly atheistic views of evolution and intelligence.

While religious people can believe some extremely ignorant things, the idea that atheism is fully supported by science and reason is also incorrect IMO.
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
- Autobiography of Mark Twain

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
- Albert Einstein

Do you value the libertarian virtues of non-aggression, voluntarism, and personal liberty? Consider joining us at Laissez Faireholm.

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 pm

It's dogma that atheists are smart; there's no great logic involved in saying "You guys don't have proof,you can't prove a negative,we win." Anyway they tend to be humanist and left wing politics are humanist. Sioraf's 2 cents (which will probably be refunded but you can't help those that refuse the help).
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

The Chaos Heart
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Chaos Heart » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Why are most atheists left-wing?

Because most religious people are right-wing. It's where their beliefs fall. Typically. Topic solved.

Meridiani Planum
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Meridiani Planum » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:18 am

Amateureconomist wrote:Why people smart enough to be atheists are not smart enough to understand the free market?

Serious answer: smart people disagree. Even uber-smart people disagree. Aristotle disagreed with Plato, and they are both uber-geniuses. It happens.
I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters.
- Ayn Rand

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:27 am

Amateureconomist wrote:I used to post in some atheist forum(randi,rationaskepticism,rationalia,freethought etc) and I have left all of them

Why? because the great majority of atheists there are liberals/social democrats(US sense) or far-leftists

Another thing i have noticed is: we(anarcho-capitalists/libertarians) are often treat very badly,often worse than social conservative

Why people smart enough to be atheists are not smart enough to understand the free market?

Mmm... Love that arrogance.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General