NATION

PASSWORD

The Greatest Military Leader Who Lost?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Who is the greatest military leader who eventually lost?

Pyrrhus of Epirus
2%
Hannibal Barca
12%
Napoleon
38%
Robert E. Lee
9%
Stonewall Jackson
1%
Erwin Rommel
28%
Other
12%

Total votes : 104

The Super Drogs
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

The Greatest Military Leader Who Lost?

Postby The Super Drogs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:39 am

Pyrrhus of Epirus, Hannibal Barca, Napoleon, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Erwin Rommel. They all have two things in common. They were all defeated in the end. But despite that they are all widely recognized as being among the greatest generals in history. Who do you think was the greatest and why did he lose? Feel free to mention any others I don't know about.

Imperium Nova Roma
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Nova Roma » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:46 am

Rommel was killed for being a traitor
Stonewall was killed by his own men
Pyrrhus got K.O'd by the tag team of a old lady with a roofing tile and a normal soldier
Napoleon got stomped at Waterloo and died living alone like an emo on a tiny island
Lee died of pneumonia while in retirement
Barca killed himself

All of them died in shitty ways, Lee probably was the safest out of all of them. I will add my own, Marcus Brutus, whom defeated Octavian, before killing himself after hearing that his best friend had lost and killed himself.
Roman Catholic Italian American, all four grandparents emigrated from Italy. Honorably Discharged Marine, one tour in Afghanistan and one in Iraq. Motorcycle Enthusiast, Neo Conservative. -True Racist, Ask me anything-

'Cause we are the Ku Klux Klan. We're rollin' through your hood like the Taliban

Globexanter
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Globexanter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 am

Imperium Nova Roma wrote:Napoleon got stomped at Waterloo and died living alone like an emo on a tiny island

He wasn't exactly on that Island on a holiday choice, you know, and he wasn't exactly alone either...

Casta Nal
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Casta Nal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:54 am

Rommel was one of the best strategists of WWII, Hitler was a fucking moron.
Last edited by Casta Nal on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:I hereby dub thee Wage-Slave No.187878XCZ.

An FT Fenda.
My Nation does not reflect my views.

Legionica
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 am

Imperium Nova Roma wrote:Rommel was killed for being a traitor
Pyrrhus got K.O'd by the tag team of a old lady with a roofing tile and a normal soldier
Napoleon got stomped at Waterloo and died living alone like an emo on a tiny island
Barca killed himself

All of them died in shitty ways, Lee probably was the safest out of all of them. I will add my own, Marcus Brutus, whom defeated Octavian, before killing himself after hearing that his best friend had lost and killed himself.

Marcus Brutus defeated Octavian?

Casta Nal
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Casta Nal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 am

Brutus lost, epically.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:I hereby dub thee Wage-Slave No.187878XCZ.

An FT Fenda.
My Nation does not reflect my views.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 am

Legionica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 am

Casta Nal wrote:Rommel was one of the best strategists of WWII, Hitler was a fucking moron.

I agree with you, wholly.

Coltarin
Senator

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Coltarin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58 am

You forgot patton who with our his 3rd army the allies could of lost WWII
Coltarin (AKA Colt)
Paintis Bulpupis

Puzikas wrote:"No gun? Fuck it , you're now Comrade Meat Shield" level.
Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?
Spreewerke wrote:Basically plainclothes, armed security on a plane. Terrorist starts boxcuttering? Shoot his ass. Passenger starts being a dickhole penisweiner? Arrest his ass. Stewardess walks by? Smack dat ass. People obviously see you? Lose your job as a federal employee and suffer a failing marriage while your children don't speak with you at home and, due to your newly-developed drinking problem, you also lose all custody rights of your children. Your life culminates with your self-immolation inside your one-bedroom trailer home.

Globexanter
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Globexanter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:00 am

Coltarin wrote:You forgot patton who with our his 3rd army the allies could of lost WWII

Oh great...
Now you're about to start a thread war about if the Allies could of have won without the U.S. (or vice versa) which will eventually lead into a full scale battle about how the Soviets made the Allied victory of WWII possible contrary to American beliefs (or vice versa).
Thanks.

Legionica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:01 am

Globexanter wrote:
Coltarin wrote:You forgot patton who with our his 3rd army the allies could of lost WWII

Oh great...
Now you're about to start a thread war about if the Allies could of have won without the U.S. (or vice versa) which will eventually lead into a full scale battle about how the Soviets made the Allied victory of WWII possible contrary to American beliefs (or vice versa).
Thanks.

:palm: You brought it up.

Globexanter
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Globexanter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:02 am

Legionica wrote:
Globexanter wrote:Oh great...
Thanks.

:palm: You brought it up.

"He started it Miss/Sir".

Tryhearts
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tryhearts » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:03 am

do explain further please :)
Got a love problem? Here. It's the only real solution. Courtesy of Farnhamia.

Legionica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am

Globexanter wrote:
Legionica wrote: :palm: You brought it up.

"He started it Miss/Sir".

I forgive you both (if I had to say it).

Timurid Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Timurid Empire » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am

I would have to say that above all else, Alexander the Great failed the most in the end. Conquering all that land and having it all crumble after his death, I would count that as total loss.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

Venezuelu
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Venezuelu » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am

Hitler. "Blitzkreig-ed" through Europe too fast, without thinking twice. Leaving supply lines thin and vulnerable. Italy was more of a lukewarm ally, just so it could prevent an invasion from the Father-Land.

Dododecapod
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:06 am

Hannibal. He damn well beat Rome, not once but about five times, every opportunity the Romans took to put an army in the field, he trashed it. Italy was his stomping ground.
But he'd lost his siege equipment. Unable to brek into Rome or the other fortress cities, he eventually had to return to Carthage - and that set the scene for Zama.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:06 am

Tryhearts wrote:

do explain further please :)

ANyone who answers this question will have to eat the recently removed and well blended vodka/Tryheart intestines cocktail I'm working on.

Judea City States Ally
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Judea City States Ally » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:07 am

General Heinz Guderian, he may not be the best general who lost but he is up there.

National General Hamilton (Leader)
General of the Armies Everstman (XO of Goverment)
Field Marshal Hastings (Commander JCSA Military)
Field Marshal Burns (JCSA State Department)

Legionica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:07 am

Dododecapod wrote:Hannibal. He damn well beat Rome, not once but about five times, every opportunity the Romans took to put an army in the field, he trashed it. Italy was his stomping ground.
But he'd lost his siege equipment. Unable to brek into Rome or the other fortress cities, he eventually had to return to Carthage - and that set the scene for Zama.

That's just it though, he didn't win. In the end, the Romans had the last laugh. Until the barbarians that actually trashed Rome, that is.

Imperium Nova Roma
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Nova Roma » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 am

Legionica wrote:
Imperium Nova Roma wrote:Rommel was killed for being a traitor
Barca killed himself

Marcus Brutus defeated Octavian?

Yes, he did. Brutus fought Octavian and won, while Cassius lost to Antony. With Antonys nearly full force and Octavians remnants, Brutus lost at the second battle of Philipi.
Roman Catholic Italian American, all four grandparents emigrated from Italy. Honorably Discharged Marine, one tour in Afghanistan and one in Iraq. Motorcycle Enthusiast, Neo Conservative. -True Racist, Ask me anything-

'Cause we are the Ku Klux Klan. We're rollin' through your hood like the Taliban

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 am

Timurid Empire wrote:I would have to say that above all else, Alexander the Great failed the most in the end. Conquering all that land and having it all crumble after his death, I would count that as total loss.

True, but he died of illness, which doesn't really count as losing in the actual wars, wich is what I think the OP was getting at.

I'm tenatively going for Napolean, although ROmmel and Lee are up there.
Last edited by The Murtunian Tribes on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pag-Aalisa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pag-Aalisa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 am

I have a deep admiration for Napoleon. Especially because he returned from exile(the first time) to start another period of French imperialism.. heh. It's also sort of weird how the progression of the French Revolution ended up with him as the dictator of France.

Legionica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:10 am

Imperium Nova Roma wrote:
Legionica wrote:Marcus Brutus defeated Octavian?

Yes, he did. Brutus fought Octavian and won, while Cassius lost to Antony. With Antonys nearly full force and Octavians remnants, Brutus lost at the second battle of Philipi.

Which Marcus Brutus are you talking about? Could you provide a link?

Tryhearts
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tryhearts » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:10 am

Dododecapod wrote:Hannibal. He damn well beat Rome, not once but about five times, every opportunity the Romans took to put an army in the field, he trashed it. Italy was his stomping ground.

I dont believe that Carthage could have gotten the materials needed to him by sea and taking the same route that Hannabil had wasnt really open either
though it was a shame that Hannabil wasnt able to press his advantages
Got a love problem? Here. It's the only real solution. Courtesy of Farnhamia.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General