NATION

PASSWORD

Jon Stewart vs Fox News

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Jon Stewart vs Fox

Jon Stewart
85%
Fox News
15%

Total votes : 163

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Jon Stewart vs Fox News

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 am

So, if you watch the Daily Show, you'll see that recently the feud between Jon Stewart and Fox has grown when Jon showed up on an old white guy's show.

In spirit of that, I've made this thread. Who do you view as more trustworthy, Jon Stewart or Fox?

My love of Stewart and my hatred of Fox has never been hidden, so I vote Stewart. The rest of you?
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Living Freedom Land
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Living Freedom Land » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:47 am

Honestly, I enjoy Stewart's show and I like some programs on Fox, so I just think this is absolutely hilarious.

EDITS:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote: my hatred of Fox

If you hate Fox News, stay up until 1:00 AM Central and watch Red Eye.
Last edited by Living Freedom Land on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
fnord

Libertarian Mesa
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Mesa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:49 am

I admit that Fox is biased and I do not attend Stewart's show, but ... Stewart is a comedian.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:49 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:I admit that Fox is biased and I do not attend Stewart's show, but ... Stewart is a comedian.

Your point?
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Libertarian Mesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Mesa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:50 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Libertarian Mesa wrote:I admit that Fox is biased and I do not attend Stewart's show, but ... Stewart is a comedian.

Your point?

One goal is to report on the news the other is to make people laugh.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:51 am

Your point?

Comedians=/=newsman, otherwise Jay Leno. *dum, dum dum!!!!*

That said, I like Stewart, he makes me laugh.

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:51 am

Your point?

Generally comedians are not a source for news...
Buts its not like you have much of a choice.

I like 2 people on Fox but I think Stewart is funny. So im not sure who to vote for. Seems sort of like a false dichotomy.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
“It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful.” - Anton Szandor LaVey
"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
"Morality is a device for controlling the gullible with words." - L A Rollins

The FTR
Minister

Founded: Mar 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:So, if you watch the Daily Show, you'll see that recently the feud between Jon Stewart and Fox has grown when Jon showed up on an old white guy's show.

In spirit of that, I've made this thread. Who do you view as more trustworthy, Jon Stewart or Fox?

My love of Stewart and my hatred of Fox has never been hidden, so I vote Stewart. The rest of you?

STEWART ALL THE WAY!
I agree with you.
I'll respond to a lot of titles, but I preferred to go by Forest.

Unless stated otherwise, I have disowned all of the posts, both in and out of character, that I made years ago. I would like to think that both my real, out-of-character behavior and my in-character role-playing skills have matured.

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:56 am

On the other hand, Stewart actually reports real news, then makes fun of it. But it doesn't make what he presents any less factual, just presented as a joke.

Being a comedian doesn't make what he says any less true.

Given Fox presents itself as a news station and continually ignores truth/news/facts, and Stewart is meant to be a comedy show yet still manages to inform me, I'd go with Stewart over Fox any day.

Libertarian Mesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Mesa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:56 am

The FTR wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:So, if you watch the Daily Show, you'll see that recently the feud between Jon Stewart and Fox has grown when Jon showed up on an old white guy's show.

STEWART ALL THE WAY!
I agree with you.

Why are you so willing to trust a comedian more than a news agency?

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:57 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:
The FTR wrote:STEWART ALL THE WAY!
I agree with you.

Enadail wrote:On the other hand, Stewart actually reports real news, then makes fun of it. But it doesn't make what he presents any less factual, just presented as a joke.

Given Fox presents itself as a news station and continually ignores truth/news/facts, and Stewart is meant to be a comedy show yet still manages to inform me, I'd go with Stewart over Fox any day.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

AustriaHungaryBohemia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AustriaHungaryBohemia » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:One goal is to report on the news the other is to make people laugh.

Come on, don't be that hard on Fox!
Winner of the Ailiailia Rolling Eyeball award for Most Irresponsible Suggestion So-far In Thread

Living Freedom Land
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Living Freedom Land » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:
I agree with you.

Because it's not Fox News, it's Faux News. I'm so witty.
fnord

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:
I agree with you.

Sadly, I agree with the sentiment, primarily because our news has become more entertainment based, rather than actual, efforts to objectively report the news. Then again CNN took Stewart's advice and look how they are doing :roll:

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:
I agree with you.

Because even the Republicans said he isn't a true comedian.
Jon Stewart uses the excuse: It is just comedy.

Unless stated otherwise, I have disowned all of the posts, both in and out of character, that I made years ago. I would like to think that both my real, out-of-character behavior and my in-character role-playing skills have matured.

Libertarian Mesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Mesa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:Why are you so willing to trust a comedian more than a news agency?

Enadail wrote:On the other hand, Stewart actually reports real news, then makes fun of it. But it doesn't make what he presents any less factual, just presented as a joke.

The thing is, he must do what he must make this news funny. How could he do this?

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:01 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:

The thing is, he must do what he must make this news funny. How could he do this?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episod ... meron-diaz
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Enadail
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:01 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:

By making it a joke/funny? Are you asking how comedy works? Are you implying removing facts/lying is the only way to make news funny?

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 am

Two things have gained me utmost respect for Jon Stewart:

1) the opening monologue, done cold, on the first show back after 9/11/01.

2) his time on crossfire where he accused the media of being essentially right wing shills for the bush administration. This alone was valuable, but he was subsequently "attacked" for being "soft" on John Kerry who visited the show, his response was, essentially, that they news anchors on CNN, he was a comedian on Comedy Central, and why in the world was CNN looking to Jon Stewart for tips on journalistic integrity.

He's repeated this a few times whenever the accusations get lobbed at him for being biased. That of course he's biased, but he's a comedian, not a journalist.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Aids-Land
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aids-Land » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 am

Who the hell still watches the Daily Show? :blink:
I want to give you aids

Asslvania wrote:
Northern Dem Canada wrote:So many freaking athiests

I know right ? It's like Youtube, only without the swearing and incessant insults. What I find most amusing about Youtube is how Christian comments are marked as "spam" and thumbed down without any mercy whatsoever. Take about censorship of ideas. I guess "might makes right" doesn't apply to atheists and their comments on the internets. Like a famous author once penned..."All pigs are equal, but some pigs are more equal than others."

(98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.)

Я болен СПИДом и герпесом

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 am

Stewart is purposefully comedic and lampoons the news. Regardless, this is Fox News we're talking about. Stewart by far.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Libertarian Mesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Mesa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 am

Enadail wrote:
Libertarian Mesa wrote:

By making it a joke/funny? Are you asking how comedy works? Are you implying removing facts/lying is the only way to make news funny?

It is one of them.

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 am

Aids-Land wrote:Who the hell still watches the Daily Show? :blink:

People who know real comedy.

Enadail
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:04 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:
Enadail wrote:

It is one of them.

Ok...? I'm not sure where you're going with this...

Imperium Nova Roma
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Nova Roma » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:05 am

Jon Stewart couldn't hold a candle to the whole of Fox News.
Roman Catholic Italian American, all four grandparents emigrated from Italy. Honorably Discharged Marine, one tour in Afghanistan and one in Iraq. Motorcycle Enthusiast, Neo Conservative. -True Racist, Ask me anything-

'Cause we are the Ku Klux Klan. We're rollin' through your hood like the Taliban

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General