NATION

PASSWORD

Your stance on gay marriage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cthag-antil
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cthag-antil » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Communist Winnipeg wrote:I had drinks with a couple of gay friends yesterday. Drinking with gays does not make you gay. Oddly, one of my gay friends is really very uncomfortable around the effeminately type you mentioned.

I didnt suggest it did...however alcohol lessens inhibitions...it is after all a mind bending drug.

After a few too many I am anyone's... ;)

Which is why I dont drink much... 8)

I am the effiminate type I mentioned...except I am not gay...per se...not by definition...I was never confused.... ;)
Last edited by Cthag-antil on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Know thyself know thy enemy

You havent got respect you havent got anything

Holiness is where you finds it...

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Shinjitai wrote:Cuz theyre special they get something different? idk

For the billionth time in this thread, marriage is a civil right both homosexuals and heterosexuals have and it is protected by the Constitution, be it America, Argentina, or any country that has respect for civil rights and the rule of law. And that means that homosexuals have a right to be married, and their union will be called "marriage" as will the union between a man and a woman. They are NOT special and they get NOTHING different.

[/thread]

P.S.: If anyone needs me, I'll be shooting some hoops at the court.
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:04 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Keronians wrote:
I don't recall that happening in 2009, when abortion was illegal.

what are you on about? 2009?
Anyway, this is about gay marriage. My bad for mentioning abortion.

ayup not an abortion thread.

We were talking about Spain, where abortion was legalised for the first trimester in June last year.

Anyway, enough with the threadjack.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:However, I do not think Churches should be forced to perform gay marriages.

And, for the billionth time in this thread, that wouldn't happen with the legalization of homosexual marriage. Its not an issue at all here, as churches in the United States, at least, have never been forced to provide marriage services.

I never said it would happen, least of all in the US specifically. But I dare you to deny some people want it, and I'm fairly sure its the case in some parts of the world. So its a relevant issue.

Don't strawman.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

The Halbetan Union
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Halbetan Union » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:Some people are naturally born gay? That draws up two questions:
a) Are there gay people who were not born gay?

Likely.

b) Are there people who just wake up one morning and say "Gee. I think I'll be gay today."?

Yes.
Last edited by The Halbetan Union on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_n_idle wrote:
The Moral of the Story is: The Ghey is bad, because Republicans.

Neo Art wrote:So let’s get over this obsessive need to categorize things as “not natural” and “natural” in order to somehow laud the “natural”. It’s stupid. Nature will fucking kill you.

New East Ireland wrote:
Grenartia wrote: :palm:

Dammit, this is New Orleans we're talking about, not some goofy-assed Yankee suburb.

Oh yeah right.

Ok new plan: she attacks the kid with a mahdi grad beer bottle and a harpoon.

Cthag-antil
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cthag-antil » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:24 pm

The Halbetan Union wrote:
Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:Some people are naturally born gay? That draws up two questions:
a) Are there gay people who were not born gay?

Likely.

b) Are there people who just wake up one morning and say "Gee. I think I'll be gay today."?

Yes.

If sexuality is a spectrum then we would expect to find all manner of wavelengths...or colours ;) .
Perhaps we should dismiss such rigid inflexible labels...and just say that everyone has a unique fingerprint sexuality, a summary of degrees of inclinations (or repulsions) to each gender and perhaps other polarised factors such as submissiveness and dominance or age and youth.

How this sexuality comes about for me is partly nature (genotypal expression) and environment AND the circumstantial choices made...incremental choices that over time reinforce or perhaps regress a natual disposition/indisposition.

I dunno...this is all my own thought...no references,
Last edited by Cthag-antil on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:25 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:And, for the billionth time in this thread, that wouldn't happen with the legalization of homosexual marriage. Its not an issue at all here, as churches in the United States, at least, have never been forced to provide marriage services.

I never said it would happen, least of all in the US specifically. But I dare you to deny some people want it, and I'm fairly sure its the case in some parts of the world. So its a relevant issue.

Don't strawman.

Those that want it are a minority, I would bet, unless you have proof to the contrary. Do you have any sources declaring that some states, nations or entities force religious institutions to perform homosexual marriages?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

The Halbetan Union
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Halbetan Union » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Cthag-antil wrote:
Likely.

Yes.

If sexuality is a spectrum then we would expect to find all manner of wavelengths...or colours ;) .
Perhaps we should dismiss such rigid inflexible labels...and just say that everyone has a unique fingerprint sexuality, a summary of degrees of inclinations (or repulsions) to each gender and perhaps other polarised factors such as submissiveness and dominance or age and youth.

How this sexuality comes about for me is partly nature (genotypal expression) and environment AND the circumstantial choices made...incremental choices that over time reinforce or perhaps regress a natual disposition/indisposition.

People are under no obligation to peruse their natural preferences, and can fall in love and marry someone and have a completely platonic (or not) relationship. I don't find it hard to believe that someone can choose their sexuality. It may not be honest, but it's still theirs to choose.
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Neo Art wrote:So let’s get over this obsessive need to categorize things as “not natural” and “natural” in order to somehow laud the “natural”. It’s stupid. Nature will fucking kill you.

New East Ireland wrote:

Dammit, this is New Orleans we're talking about, not some goofy-assed Yankee suburb.

Oh yeah right.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Shinjitai wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:
Why? Where's the equality?

Cuz theyre special they get something different? idk

they're just people and, as such, should have the same rights as other people including to marry the consenting adult that they want to.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Cthag-antil
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cthag-antil » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Cthag-antil wrote:

People are under no obligation to peruse their natural preferences, and can fall in love and marry someone and have a completely platonic (or not) relationship. I don't find it hard to believe that someone can choose their sexuality. It may not be honest, but it's still theirs to choose.

Well partly up to a point I agree with you.
But I think nature and environment have much more effect than you seem to give them credit.

I am sure that you are not suggesting that the majority of homosexuals have chosen to be gay..are you?

The Halbetan Union
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Halbetan Union » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Cthag-antil wrote:
Well partly up to a point I agree with you.
But I think nature and environment have much more effect than you seem to give them credit.

I give environment plenty of credit, nature not so much.

I am sure that you are not suggesting that the majority of homosexuals have chosen to be gay..are you?

No.
Grave_n_idle wrote:

New East Ireland wrote:

Oh yeah right.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:Those that want it are a minority, I would bet, unless you have proof to the contrary.

I don't, but I never claimed they were a majority.

You are asking me to defend a claim I never made.

Do you have any sources declaring that some states, nations or entities force religious institutions to perform homosexual marriages?

Not at present. I recall hearing about it previously, but I'll have to do some more Googling to confirm it.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:49 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:I don't, but I never claimed they were a majority.

You are asking me to defend a claim I never made.

I never said you claimed that position, simply that I won't believe that any large number of homosexual-marriage supporters want to force religious organizations to marry homosexuals unless given proof.
Not at present. I recall hearing about it previously, but I'll have to do some more Googling to confirm it.

So you are basing that more on a rumor than actual fact?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:54 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:And, for the billionth time in this thread, that wouldn't happen with the legalization of homosexual marriage. Its not an issue at all here, as churches in the United States, at least, have never been forced to provide marriage services.

I never said it would happen, least of all in the US specifically. But I dare you to deny some people want it

I'll take that dare. I can't find anybody who wants such a thing. The closest I could find to that was someone in Sweden suggesting, for purely trollish purposes, that if Lutheran ministers were agents of the state, they should have to take all comers: but what he really wanted, of course, was the end of state support to the Lutheran church (and, it should be noted, the press uproar over his comments imploded his little leftist party, which had held a couple seats but lost them all).
The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm fairly sure its the case in some parts of the world.

I'm entirely sure it isn't.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Xiran
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiran » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:56 pm

I dont like it, but if some people i knew did a gay mariage i wouldnt ruined it or anything. :hug:
Iran rulez!

Morgannas
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Morgannas » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:59 pm

The issue of Gay Marriage has nothing to do with religion it is about couples being able to have same rights under the law such as inheritance, hospital visitation, insurance and the like. People who don't understand that need to look at the fact that a couple can get drunk and married in Vegas and suddenly a partner can apply for citizenship and the other benefits that spouses enjoy.
Head of Government for Morgannas
M.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Keronians wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
But getting government out of marriage does not "protect" it in any way. On the contrary even - since there are religions out there that promote polygamous marriages, gay marriages, childmarriages, arranged mariages etc. etc. - and all would have the exact same right to call their little ceremony "marriage".

So that would be silly :)

It's a pathetic attempt to appease the bigots.

But why should we appease the bigots? What's wrong with gay marriage?

The sad thing is that I know that next year when PP comes to power, they're going to try to criminalise gay marriage, but I hope that that won't fly with the Spanish public.

They'll also probably criminalise abortion again, but that I don't mind.

Where abortion is illegal, infanticide increases.

Why do you want babies to be murdered?
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:21 pm

Norstal wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:"Rub it in [your] face"? :eyebrow:

When gays get married, it is a tradition that they rub their penises or vaginas on straight people.

Ooh, really?

Is there a newsletter I can subscribe to?
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Cthag-antil wrote:
Communist Winnipeg wrote:I had drinks with a couple of gay friends yesterday. Drinking with gays does not make you gay. Oddly, one of my gay friends is really very uncomfortable around the effeminately type you mentioned.

I didnt suggest it did...however alcohol lessens inhibitions...it is after all a mind bending drug.

After a few too many I am anyone's... ;)

Which is why I dont drink much... 8)

I am the effiminate type I mentioned...except I am not gay...per se...not by definition...I was never confused.... ;)

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you posted previously that you were conflicted at some point, with some guy, just recently?

Don't make me go digging through old posts. :(
I identify as
a problem

German Democratic Republic (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby German Democratic Republic (Ancient) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:13 pm

it in your face like making out in front of you

Dusk_Kittens
Ambassador

Founded: May 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dusk_Kittens » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 pm

Cthag-antil wrote:
Likely.

Yes.

Some people are gay because of who they are. These are born gay.

Some people are gay because of what they do. These were not born gay.

I learned this as a chaplain intern at a juvenile detention facility. Some people just are gay; they were born that way. Some people, after experiencing gay sex, decide they like it; they weren't born gay, but they choose to be gay.

For those born gay, the only choice they make is to not be a hypocrite pretending to be something they are not.
Her Divine Grace,
the Sovereign Principessa Luna,
Ulata-Druidessâ Teutâs di Genovâs,
Ardua-Druidessâ of Dusk Kittens

The Tribal Confederacy of Dusk_Kittens
(a Factbook in progress)
~ Stairsneach ~

My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
(Left Libertarian)

My C4SS Ratings
58% Economic Leftist
63% Anarchist
79% Anti-Militarist
67% Socio-Cultural Liberal
80% Civil Libertarian

"... perché lo universale degli uomini
si pascono così di quel che pare come di quello che è:
anzi, molte volte si muovono
più per le cose che paiono che per quelle che sono."
-- Niccolò Machiavelli,
Discorsi sopra la prima deca di Tito Livio,
Libro Primo, Capitolo 25.

Vorond
Minister

Founded: Feb 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorond » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Norstal wrote:When gays get married, it is a tradition that they rub their penises or vaginas on straight people.

Ooh, really?

Here's how it works:

Factbook
Diplomacy

“If a man isn't willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he's no good”
― Ezra Pound

The old wisdom of 4chan holdfs very true in almost every NSG thread.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:14 am

German Democratic Republic wrote:it in your face like making out in front of you

*shrugs* why would you care? I mean I wouldn't really enjoy watching any couple making out in front of me but it's no worse if the couple's gay.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Santhene
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Santhene » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:32 am

Cthag-antil wrote:

Really? Are you arguing homosexuality is a choice?
"You can't pray away the gay, baby I was born this way!"

Santhene
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Santhene » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:38 am

Vorond wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Ooh, really?

Here's how it works:

"My God! If these diagrams are correct, we will soon have an epidemic of gay people! Warn the President!"
"Yes sir, right away!!!"
"God speed, son, God speed."
"You can't pray away the gay, baby I was born this way!"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General