NATION

PASSWORD

Your stance on gay marriage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Shinjitai wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
What they mean is that on the general forum we discuss real life nations and politics.
Posts about your nation can be done on the roleplaying - or IC - boards :)

Oops. Im new to this. Sorry. Well i think they should just have civil partnerships

And what would the diference with marriage be :) ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:59 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Shinjitai wrote:Oops. Im new to this. Sorry. Well i think they should just have civil partnerships

My guess: The word, and therefore, the ability to protect the institution.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

My guess: The word, and therefore, the ability to protect the institution.

But getting government out of marriage does not "protect" it in any way. On the contrary even - since there are religions out there that promote polygamous marriages, gay marriages, childmarriages, arranged mariages etc. etc. - and all would have the exact same right to call their little ceremony "marriage".

So that would be silly :)
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:My guess: The word, and therefore, the ability to protect the institution.

The question is, why would naming homosexual marriage "civil union" would protect the institution of marriage? No one has been able to answer that.

Zikelet
Civilian

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zikelet » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:04 pm

There is nothing wrong with gay marraige people have the right to chose who they want to marry. Also some people are naturlly born gay so you cant do anything about that.

Militia Alliance
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Militia Alliance » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Being that state sanctioned Marriages started off as Racist. Why should ANY Marriages be recognized by the Criminals? :palm:

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:05 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:My guess: The word, and therefore, the ability to protect the institution.

But getting government out of marriage does not "protect" it in any way. On the contrary even - since there are religions out there that promote polygamous marriages, gay marriages, childmarriages, arranged mariages etc. etc. - and all would have the exact same right to call their little ceremony "marriage".

So that would be silly :)

It's a pathetic attempt to appease the bigots.

But why should we appease the bigots? What's wrong with gay marriage?

The sad thing is that I know that next year when PP comes to power, they're going to try to criminalise gay marriage, but I hope that that won't fly with the Spanish public.

They'll also probably criminalise abortion again, but that I don't mind.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Militia Alliance wrote:Being that state sanctioned Marriages started off as Racist. Why should ANY Marriages be recognized by the Criminals? :palm:

Thank goodness Loving vs. Virginia made a precedent change.

Vit Draken
Secretary

Founded: Jul 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vit Draken » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Personally I am against gay marriage 100%. But that is in my life. If people around me that are gay and want to get married, by all means go for it. >___> Government is just too involved in our daily lives.
Thatius wrote:You know, at least the Republicans are offering a solution. Democrats like Schumer and Obama are criticizing it, yet where is their plan? Oh wait..

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Keronians wrote:They'll also probably criminalise abortion again, but that I don't mind.

You like women going into back alleys to get abortions from unqualified people with unsterile equipment ?

We already had that situation in the past. It is not pretty.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:08 pm

Militia Alliance wrote:Being that state sanctioned Marriages started off as Racist. Why should ANY Marriages be recognized by the Criminals? :palm:

You're always so angry. Everything will be alright once we have world government. Chill.

And they should be allowed to marry.
Taking a break.

Hi-Fi
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hi-Fi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm against gay marraige, gives me an excuse to still live a swinger lifestyle ;P

Just kidding of course, I want to be able to marry my man so I'm all for gay marraige. :3

German Democratic Republic (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby German Democratic Republic (Ancient) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:09 pm

as long as they dont force it on me or rub it in my face im good.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:10 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:

You're always so angry. Everything will be alright once we have world government. Chill.

And they should be allowed to marry.

Anything to have the government invade your personal space.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:11 pm

German Democratic Republic wrote:as long as they dont force it on me or rub it in my face im good.

"Rub it in [your] face"? :eyebrow:

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:12 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
German Democratic Republic wrote:as long as they dont force it on me or rub it in my face im good.

"Rub it in [your] face"? :eyebrow:

When gays get married, it is a tradition that they rub their penises or vaginas on straight people.

What, didn't you know? That's why people want gay marriage banned.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Communist Winnipeg
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 16, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Communist Winnipeg » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Cthag-antil wrote:
Communist Winnipeg wrote:Personally, I find the idea of male/male sex revolting, but I have several gay & lebian friends. I also dislike yogurt, but have friends that eat that in front of me!!!

Have you ever had sexual contact with another member of the same gender?

If not then you are making an assumption...

I have not eaten a live spider, but I don't think I'd like that either, and don't plan to try it in the near future.

A few weeks ago a gay young man whom I work with asked me out for a 'drink'...very pretty he is, for a few brief seconds I actually considered the proposition.
I only turned him down in the end because I doubt the missus would be best pleased...not to mention he was about 15 years younger than me..but not without some regret.

To be fair the signals were a bit confusing because the lad dresses quite effeminately and has a very feminine counternance..but should I have been single and given a few shots of vodka maybe...I think I could have shagged him. :blink:

Am I bi?

Possibly...but then I don't see sexuality as a black and white issue..more a spectrum of inclinations. :D

I had drinks with a couple of gay friends yesterday. Drinking with gays does not make you gay. Oddly, one of my gay friends is really very uncomfortable around the effeminately type you mentioned.
Back to OT, there is absolutely no legal reason that same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to marry.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Communist Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Executive Member of Canadian Sarcasm Society - "Yes. We really need your help."

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:27 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Keronians wrote:They'll also probably criminalise abortion again, but that I don't mind.

You like women going into back alleys to get abortions from unqualified people with unsterile equipment ?

I don't recall that happening in 2009, when abortion was illegal.

Anyway, this is about gay marriage. My bad for mentioning abortion.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 pm

I've gone back and forth on this one, but right now I'd say I am pro-gay Marriage, since I cannot see a strong argument against it. However, I do not think Churches should be forced to perform gay marriages.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Zikelet wrote:There is nothing wrong with gay marraige people have the right to chose who they want to marry. Also some people are naturlly born gay so you cant do anything about that.

Some people are naturally born gay? That draws up two questions:
a) Are there gay people who were not born?
b) Are there people who just wake up one morning and say "Gee. I think I'll be gay today."?
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:I've gone back and forth on this one, but right now I'd say I am pro-gay Marriage, since I cannot see a strong argument against it. However, I do not think Churches should be forced to perform gay marriages.

But they should be allowed to if they want :) ?

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Keronians wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

I don't recall that happening in 2009, when abortion was illegal.

what are you on about? 2009?
Anyway, this is about gay marriage. My bad for mentioning abortion.

ayup not an abortion thread.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:
Zikelet wrote:There is nothing wrong with gay marraige people have the right to chose who they want to marry. Also some people are naturlly born gay so you cant do anything about that.

Some people are naturally born gay? That draws up two questions:
a) Are there gay people who were not born?
b) Are there people who just wake up one morning and say "Gee. I think I'll be gay today."?

If b) were possible, that would imply that one could control who one is attracted to.

That would be awesome. "Today, I am going to like blondes ! Tomorrow... dunno yet ;)"

Shinjitai
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shinjitai » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Shinjitai wrote:Oops. Im new to this. Sorry. Well i think they should just have civil partnerships

Why? Where's the equality?

Cuz theyre special they get something different? idk
Last edited by Rebecca Black on Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 103 times in total.
★Shinjitai ★
Factbook
SHK News.
☆-Awesome-izing Nation States since 2009-☆
Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon.
また、ボノボ

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:44 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:However, I do not think Churches should be forced to perform gay marriages.

And, for the billionth time in this thread, that wouldn't happen with the legalization of homosexual marriage. Its not an issue at all here, as churches in the United States, at least, have never been forced to provide marriage services.

@}-;-'---

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General