NATION

PASSWORD

Forgiveness, when to give.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sun May 22, 2011 10:49 am

Ashmoria wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:seeing as how my mother is that "crazy drugged out bitch" and I don't even send her a birthday card

the answer is never.

has she ever apologized and asked for your forgiveness?

yeah, she's even gotten clean in order to have me back in her life

Until she gets dirty again
Even Prison couldn't reform her.

She's currently (allegedly) clean now, but I'm not holding my breath.
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sun May 22, 2011 10:51 am

greed and death wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:seeing as how my mother is that "crazy drugged out bitch" and I don't even send her a birthday card

the answer is never.

sometimes you need to just cut people from your life, this chick sounds like dead weight.

Sorry to hear about your mother General. I too come from a family of addicts. No clue how I turned out as well as I did.

Oh I fell into the same traps, I'm no saint, difference is I got away from it.
However I don't see myself in such noble light, I can see myself returning, and the thought of that return is what keeps me "clean"
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun May 22, 2011 10:52 am

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

thats an encouraging sign.

but you have no need to forgive and forget and pretend that she is a wonderful mother. protecting yourself is far more important.
whatever

Tectorum
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tectorum » Sun May 22, 2011 11:17 am

Persoally i forgive rather easily. If it is something minor like taking 50 cents from me or something simple like that i usually just say "You shouldve just asked, i probably would have gave it to you" and we both have a laugh and get on with our lives.

However if someone really wrongs me then they have to prove they are worthy of forgiveness. They have to first ask for it at which point i throw a pair of boxing gloves at them and put on mine. The way i see it, if there willing to get the tar knocked out of them by a short kid who knows ninjitsu they deserve forgiveness. :)

But on the topic of the OP. She seems to honestly want to move on with her life. I have a cousin who was a drug addict. She went clean for a year and all of us forgave her except her mom. Eventually she ended up purposefully overdosing on crack in a bathtub mostly because of the fact that her own mother just saw her as a crackhead and wasnt worth her time.

I really doubt you want to have that on your consciounse.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun May 22, 2011 5:01 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

At least you got an apology, I honestly thought she might be on her 9th step. For all I know this girl still blames me for getting her on drugs while I was out of town helping my step dad recover from a surgery.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Risna
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risna » Sun May 22, 2011 5:23 pm

I forgive always and i hate myself for it. I got burned a few times and it is not nice. I am easy to take advantage of. However I protect myself and always use contracts. I had to take it to court twice to get my money. I lost two friends that way but I did get my money in the end. It was sad I lost a few nights of sleep to it on how the world can suck like that.
”Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. “
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tectorum
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tectorum » Sun May 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Risna wrote:I forgive always and i hate myself for it. I got burned a few times and it is not nice. I am easy to take advantage of. However I protect myself and always use contracts. I had to take it to court twice to get my money. I lost two friends that way but I did get my money in the end. It was sad I lost a few nights of sleep to it on how the world can suck like that.

^thats another reason why i have the boxing gloves :)

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Sun May 22, 2011 6:02 pm

greed and death wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I forgive, but my guard remains up. Some may say that means I haven't really forgiven.

She tried that argument(when on the stuff) with me saying if i forgave her i would date her again.

That's just manipulative. In that case, I could forgive her but the pain of what she had done would make it very difficult for me to date her. And at any rate, your lives aren't at the same place they were back then.

That's the difficult thing about forgiveness: It doesn't magically undo everything that's happened.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 pm

greed and death wrote:Well the crazy Ex of mine that went off the deep in of drugs contacted me recently. She had fallen worse than I had thought. Had wound up doing crack and gotten to 78 pounds before begging a court to order her to rehab. We exchanged some pleasantries and briefly caught up. I was happy she had sobered up.
Then I stopped responding to her emails. At first I could not figure out why, then after some introspection I determined it was because she had not apologized and I had not rendered forgiveness. In my mind she remains the drug bitch that burned me, and is after my money.

So, NSG when do you forgive?
And if forgiven do you lower your guard ?
As an added question to what degree is a recovering addict expected to account for their behavior ?

There are two ethical standards regarding forgiveness.
1. The offender expresses a sincere apology and does their best to provide restitution or recompense, at which time failing to forgive might be viewed as a sin.
2. Grace, forgiveness whether the offender deserves it or not.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun May 22, 2011 10:22 pm

You-Gi-Owe wrote:
greed and death wrote:Well the crazy Ex of mine that went off the deep in of drugs contacted me recently. She had fallen worse than I had thought. Had wound up doing crack and gotten to 78 pounds before begging a court to order her to rehab. We exchanged some pleasantries and briefly caught up. I was happy she had sobered up.
Then I stopped responding to her emails. At first I could not figure out why, then after some introspection I determined it was because she had not apologized and I had not rendered forgiveness. In my mind she remains the drug bitch that burned me, and is after my money.

As an added question to what degree is a recovering addict expected to account for their behavior ?

There are two ethical standards regarding forgiveness.
1. The offender expresses a sincere apology and does their best to provide restitution or recompense, at which time failing to forgive might be viewed as a sin.

I give unethical forgiveness? :unsure:

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Sun May 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:There are two ethical standards regarding forgiveness.

I give unethical forgiveness? :unsure:

Do you? To be clear, it's ethical to forgive even before sincere apology/restitution, however, witholding forgivness might be less than ethical, depending on the circumstances.
Last edited by You-Gi-Owe on Sun May 22, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sun May 22, 2011 10:32 pm

You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Umbra Ac Silentium wrote:I give unethical forgiveness? :unsure:

Do you? To be clear, it's ethical to forgive even before sincere apology/restitution, however, witholding forgivness might be less than ethical, depending on the circumstances.

Well, I forgive practically as soon as it happens. (Excepting myself here) The whole random grace part confuses me, though, and I don't see what it has to do with forgiving people. >3> So, yeah...

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

Bitchkitten
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 29, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Bitchkitten » Sun May 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Forgive, yes.
Trust, no.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon May 23, 2011 9:23 am

greed and death wrote:So, NSG when do you forgive?

To be honest, I don't think I've truly forgiven anyone that has harmed me personally. I mean sure, my older brother used to be pretty rough and tumble with his older brotherly ways (punches and whatnot), and I've forgiven him that. But people who have betrayed or hurt me on a more...intangible level really don't get forgiven in my book. For instance, ex-girlfriends. Whether they cheated or no, and no matter how hard I might try to 'stay friends', I never forgive them. I find myself taking personally pretty much everything they do. It's interesting, because it's almost like I'd rather not forgive them and shove them away and demonize them to make it hurt less.

If I could wave a wand and make this not so, I believe it'd be wise to forgive once the person no longer influences your life. Once they move out/you move away/whatever and stop seeing them in person, you can cut the connection, forgive them their problems and wish them well.

Nevah. Nevah evah. Nevah evah evah!
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon May 23, 2011 9:26 am

I'm too prone to forgiveness. But I NEVER forget.

Wilfred Test
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilfred Test » Mon May 23, 2011 10:00 am

I try to forgive easily but I find it hard, I usually forgive eventually.
The Republic of Archer's Bow
Year: 2101 AD
President: John Spencer-Quinn
Prime Minister: Peter Arnold MP

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Forgive as soon as you are able. There is nothing wrong with being once bitten and twice shy.

The Atlantean Menace
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantean Menace » Wed May 25, 2011 12:23 pm

It doesn't sound like you forgive her. Therefore, don't offer forgiveness. Even if she asks for your forgiveness, do not give it unless you actually forgive her. It's not your job to make people feel less guilty about stuff they did to you.

Also, to what degree are they expected to account for their behavior? The same as everyone else. They did what they did. They are 100% accountable for it.
Last edited by The Atlantean Menace on Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed May 25, 2011 4:10 pm

The Atlantean Menace wrote:

It doesn't sound like you forgive her. Therefore, don't offer forgiveness. Even if she asks for your forgiveness, do not give it unless you actually forgive her. It's not your job to make people feel less guilty about stuff they did to you.

Also, to what degree are they expected to account for their behavior? The same as everyone else. They did what they did. They are 100% accountable for it.

well said. that is excellent advice.
whatever

Amazonnia
Secretary

Founded: May 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Amazonnia » Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm

I forgive when they can give me a full apology and not some half a**ed I'm sorry. When I do forgive I don't lower my guard because I know they are just going to possibly go back at it again. Most people in human nature take more than they give unless they are natural givers. I just wouldn't trust a rehabilitated person at all because there are high chances of them snapping back to old ways.
Amazonnia
Pro-Gay Marriage, Anti-Homophobia, Equality for Women, Education is important, Healthcare is a must, Treat others like you would be treated
The Land Where Women Control Everything
"As long as your a Kitchen Knife Wife you'll survive." - Amazonnia

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General