NATION

PASSWORD

What is your view on homosexual rights and why?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Tue May 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Sassinia wrote:
Episarta wrote:They should be given all the same rights as everyone else. There is no logical reason to deny them these rights. Can anyone give a good reason, one that does not invoke the name of a god or holy book or something of the sort?

its disgusting and wrong.

by what standard is homosexual sex disgusting (and in which heterosexual sex is not). Moreover, how can you possibly defend the statement that "it is wrong"
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue May 24, 2011 2:30 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Sassinia wrote:its disgusting and wrong.

by what standard is homosexual sex disgusting (and in which heterosexual sex is not). Moreover, how can you possibly defend the statement that "it is wrong"

I'd like to watch him try, though.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue May 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Sassinia wrote:
Episarta wrote:They should be given all the same rights as everyone else. There is no logical reason to deny them these rights. Can anyone give a good reason, one that does not invoke the name of a god or holy book or something of the sort?

Before you attempt to justify, know that I have no problem with it, and I represent the god of three major religions.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Marcheria
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcheria » Tue May 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
DaWoad wrote:by what standard is homosexual sex disgusting (and in which heterosexual sex is not). Moreover, how can you possibly defend the statement that "it is wrong"

^Agreed
I'm BACK after a long absence! New sig to come.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Tue May 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
DaWoad wrote:by what standard is homosexual sex disgusting (and in which heterosexual sex is not). Moreover, how can you possibly defend the statement that "it is wrong"

oh me too, should be good for a laugh at the very least.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Marcheria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcheria » Tue May 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Sassinia wrote:

So, sASSinia, why do you think homosexuality is disgusting and wrong?

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006

Postby Dazchan » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Aurora-Nova wrote:To the second point, it's not about gay people disturbing my peace and quiet, it's about some gay people feeling they need to express themselves through consumerism and, well, parades.

*gasp* Gay people... expressing themselves! :shock: :eek:

I think people need to get over the whole gay parade thing. They're a bit of harmless fun, done legally, and bring some tourist revenue in. What's the problem?

Aurora-Nova wrote:I know several gay people who are secure enough in their own sexuality to not go march through the streets or wear "flashy-fabulous" clothes.

Participation in gay rights parades or one's choice of clothing doesn't have anything to do with security. It has to do with choice. I wear what I wear because I like that particular style, just like you wear what you wear because you like your particular style. It would be a very boring world if we were all the same.

Aurora-Nova wrote:Anyway, arguing this point is really funny, because you seem to be operating under the assumption that I'm somehow anti-gay (and, for that matter, the assumption I care what you think). The thread asked me my views on homosexual rights; I answered. If you have a problem with my views, then tough shit. I have as much a right to them as you do yours.

If you have a problem with your views being discussed, then perhaps going to discussion forums isn't for you.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Quandarm
Minister

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Quandarm » Sat May 28, 2011 11:27 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Muffin Button wrote:I am with you we are human beings and we have the right to vote the way we see fit. I dont see allowing gays to marry as improving the world as a matter of fact its an awful idea and it would lower are morals and standards.

So, they can be together, and "bang" (as it were) freely outside of marriage... but allowing them to marry would decrease overall morality?

Let's apply that same logic to hetero couples for just a second. As an apparently Bible-believing Christian, I can see you must advocate promiscuous extra-marital sexual relationships. Or... not?

Forgive my ignorance, but was that some sort of point or were you just airing out your irrelevence?

What exactly were you refering to? The Bible has a rather firm stance on number of marriges and sexual activities.
( and dont quote the old testament because those were the laws for the Jews, and the groundwork for the FINAL law as laid out by Christ)

So if you can give me a point that is not just strange gibberish, we as a community would greatly appreciate it.
Vingtor wrote:Ohhh, you could just put her in a bowl of granola and eat her with a fair trade spoon.
11/10/12: the day Ameriganastan fell.

On hats and River Song.
Ameriganistan wrote:I'd toss her out of that TADRIS thing if she shot any of my hats. Respect a mans headwear.
Rode with Shanix in the great Exile of NSG, and returned triumphant and strong again to her shores.
Former member of The Exiles.
Left after Hostile Takeover.

“A true opium for the people is a belief in nothingness after death – the huge solace of thinking that for our betrayals, greed, cowardice, murders we are not going to be judged.” – Czeslaw Milosz

Quandarm
Minister

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Quandarm » Sat May 28, 2011 11:38 pm

-St George wrote:Paul, who forms much of New Testament theology (as the author/central source for Romans, Corinthians and others), never outwardly condemns homosexuality, and Mathew leaves it off a list of condemnable acts in his Gospel, and, of course, there's the central fucking theme of the New Testament, Tolerance, as evidenced by Mathew 5:43-44 which, for the third time this post, states: "You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy." But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

You are indeed correct in the love portion o your post. However this is a big problem with our view of Christianity. Love is very very important to the deal, but it does not mean that anything goes.

Muffin Button had good quotes and while I will concede the old testament objections the other was new testament.

Romans 1:27 "And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

This seems to be rather easy to understand.

Love your neighbor as yourself is the most often heard of Christs teachings. But the first lesson was this:
Matthew 4:17 "...Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Love is important, and God appointed no police officers. But that does not meant that we cannot call what we see as wrong, wrong.
Love the sinner, HATE the sin.
Vingtor wrote:Ohhh, you could just put her in a bowl of granola and eat her with a fair trade spoon.
11/10/12: the day Ameriganastan fell.

On hats and River Song.
Ameriganistan wrote:I'd toss her out of that TADRIS thing if she shot any of my hats. Respect a mans headwear.
Rode with Shanix in the great Exile of NSG, and returned triumphant and strong again to her shores.
Former member of The Exiles.
Left after Hostile Takeover.

“A true opium for the people is a belief in nothingness after death – the huge solace of thinking that for our betrayals, greed, cowardice, murders we are not going to be judged.” – Czeslaw Milosz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat May 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Quandarm wrote:
-St George wrote:Paul, who forms much of New Testament theology (as the author/central source for Romans, Corinthians and others), never outwardly condemns homosexuality, and Mathew leaves it off a list of condemnable acts in his Gospel, and, of course, there's the central fucking theme of the New Testament, Tolerance, as evidenced by Mathew 5:43-44 which, for the third time this post, states: "You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy." But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

You are indeed correct in the love portion o your post. However this is a big problem with our view of Christianity. Love is very very important to the deal, but it does not mean that anything goes.

Muffin Button had good quotes and while I will concede the old testament objections the other was new testament.

Romans 1:27 "And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

Love your neighbor as yourself is the most often heard of Christs teachings. But the first lesson was this:

Love is important, and God appointed no police officers. But that does not meant that we cannot call what we see as wrong, wrong.

It's fun to take a line here and a line there, isn't it? Let's have a look at Romans:

Paul of Tarsus wrote: 18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

If one reads these words correctly, God himself gave over those people to those "sins," and he did it because they ignored him. So really, it's just another example of Yahweh punishing people who do not give him the full measure of devotion that he expects, indeed, that he demands.

But then again, why should the morals of a being whose existence is dubious at best matter a fig to me, save only that his followers use him as an excuse for bad behavior?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Luciratus
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Sun May 29, 2011 12:04 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Quandarm wrote:

It's fun to take a line here and a line there, isn't it? Let's have a look at Romans:

Paul of Tarsus wrote: 18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

If one reads these words correctly, God himself gave over those people to those "sins," and he did it because they ignored him. So really, it's just another example of Yahweh punishing people who do not give him the full measure of devotion that he expects, indeed, that he demands.

But then again, why should the morals of a being whose existence is dubious at best matter a fig to me, save only that his followers use him as an excuse for bad behavior?

Morality is quite personal and relative, though. :roll: Or are you turning into a social conservative?
Last edited by Luciratus on Sun May 29, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop the killing! Free Libya!
Please, help Japan and Oceania in any manner possible. Pray or hope for their safety and health.
I am a Grammar Nazi. As such, I prefer posts that are comprehensible.
Cannot think of a name wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:War is a necessary evil. True peace is impossible.
As long as we tell ourselves the first sentence, the second one will always be true.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Cameroi wrote:And I still say, 9 out of 10 fetuses would rather be aborted then be born unwanted.

Did you poll those fetuses on their opinion?

Ezekiel Bardoff (dictator)
Yavid Biram (chairman)
Yashua Mithridates (two terms)
Alistaire Hawthorne (current)

Factbook

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 am

Luciratus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

Morality is quite personal and relative, though. :roll: Or are you turning into a social conservative?

It is personal, and relative. Christians would disagree, I think. My experience with them is that they think morality has been handed down for centuries, unchanged, and a good thing, too. I merely cited the broader context of Paul's letter to the Romans to point out that the only "sin" those condemned people had committed was not paying Yahweh as much attention as he likes.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun May 29, 2011 12:58 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Luciratus wrote:Morality is quite personal and relative, though. :roll: Or are you turning into a social conservative?

It is personal, and relative. Christians would disagree, I think. My experience with them is that they think morality has been handed down for centuries, unchanged, and a good thing, too. I merely cited the broader context of Paul's letter to the Romans to point out that the only "sin" those condemned people had committed was not paying Yahweh as much attention as he likes.

Most religions do require absolute morality, I think. It'd make more sense.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:59 am

Norstal wrote:Most religions do require absolute morality, I think. It'd make more sense.

Ironic, in that morality handed down from god is not objective at all. God's opinion is still an opinion.
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:01 am

Farnhamia wrote:It is personal, and relative. Christians would disagree, I think. My experience with them is that they think morality has been handed down for centuries, unchanged, and a good thing, too. I merely cited the broader context of Paul's letter to the Romans to point out that the only "sin" those condemned people had committed was not paying Yahweh as much attention as he likes.

The problem with both them and many atheists is that you all think morality has to "come from" somewhere. You think morality is like a substance or quantity. It's not. You're confused. Morality is propositional. Ergo, it doesn't "come from" anyone or anything. Rather, it "follows from" things. That may seem a minor semantic point, but it actually changes the nature of the debate quite a bit.
Last edited by Unhealthy2 on Sun May 29, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun May 29, 2011 1:07 am

Norstal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It is personal, and relative. Christians would disagree, I think. My experience with them is that they think morality has been handed down for centuries, unchanged, and a good thing, too. I merely cited the broader context of Paul's letter to the Romans to point out that the only "sin" those condemned people had committed was not paying Yahweh as much attention as he likes.

Most religions do require absolute morality, I think. It'd make more sense.

I didn't, nor did An and Enki, Inanna and Ningal. There were things of which we disapproved but we never, that I can recall, carved rules in stone tablets. I certainly didn't. The Black-Headed People were pretty sensible, though, they didn't need much guidance. It was a much more equal relationship than that between Yahweh and his chosen. All we asked was respect - which I think we earned - the occasional gift, perhaps a song now and then, and we were more than happy to help out with things like the pick-axe and barley and recipes for beer. Yahweh ... well, when you live on a mountain in the desert ... As Prince Feisal said to Lawrence in that delightful film, "There is nothing in the desert. And no man needs nothing." The greatest accomplishment Yahweh has is convincing people that they need nothing.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun May 29, 2011 1:08 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:

The problem with both them and many atheists is that you all think morality has to "come from" somewhere. You think morality is like a substance or quantity. It's not. You're confused. Morality is propositional. Ergo, it doesn't "come from" anyone or anything. Rather, it "follows from" things. That may seem a minor semantic point, but it actually changes the nature of the debate quite a bit.

I'm not confused at all. I may have expressed myself badly but I'm not confused on this score.

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun May 29, 2011 1:19 am

Quandarm wrote:

Romans 1 refers to a group of Christians who left the early Christ, converted to a pagan fertility religion and engaged first in heterosexual and then homosexuality orgies, the latter being unnatural to them, as heterosexuals.

Romans condemns their 'unnatural acts', acts that were purely unnatural to them. It doesn't condemn homosexuality as a whole.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Sassinia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Marcheria wrote:
Sassinia wrote:its disgusting and wrong.

So, sASSinia, why do you think homosexuality is disgusting and wrong?

would you like it if two men were making out in the parking lot?
আমি একজন বাঙালি
No, we aren't the Sassanids nor descendants of them.
..and no, we aren't Muslims, either.
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Head of State: King Ireni Murd
Capital City: Terz
Population: 7,000,000,000 and counting
RP Military: 31,000,000 active, 34,000,000 reserve
Tech: MT
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Sassinia wrote:
Marcheria wrote:So, sASSinia, why do you think homosexuality is disgusting and wrong?

If I'm one of them, I'd probably like it. If it wasn't me, then I certainly wouldn't mind any more than if it was two women or a man and a woman.

Nice gravedig, by the way, Sir Necro.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Sassinia wrote:
Marcheria wrote:So, sASSinia, why do you think homosexuality is disgusting and wrong?

Yes. Immensely.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Sassinia wrote:

I don't care. It doesn't affect me, so why should it bother me?
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Marcheria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcheria » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Sassinia wrote:

No. In fact, I'd cheer 'em on.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Sassinia wrote:

This question didn't work out all that well, did it?

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Sassinia wrote:

I wouldn't care. Would you?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General