NATION

PASSWORD

Your opinion on the Westboro Baptist Church

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 am

those people may be dickfaces, but as a fairly open bisexual and libertarian, I am thrilled that they are allowed to express theirr lunacy openly. As long as nobody gets physically hurt, it would be fine.
An explanation of the two party system in the US: Heads they win (republicans, the conservative corporate sellouts), Tails we (the people) lose (to the liberal corporate sell outs)
I am against war created by state. I am an anarcho-mutualist

Proud player of the great game of rugby!

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 01, 2011 9:03 am

Ravineworld wrote:those people may be dickfaces, but as a fairly open bisexual and libertarian, I am thrilled that they are allowed to express theirr lunacy openly. As long as nobody gets physically hurt, it would be fine.

Free speech can only go so far; they actively advocate the death of homosexuals, which I consider a threat to my person.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Arkhanta
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkhanta » Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 am

I'm reformed baptist myself, but God, those people give me the creeps. I believe homosexuality as wrong, but not in the way those people show things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SOQesc3q_U

Wolfbaile
Secretary

Founded: Nov 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

WBC

Postby Wolfbaile » Sun May 01, 2011 9:09 am

Do I believe Homosexuality is wrong? Yes. Do I believe that God hates Homosexuals? No. In the Christianity I practice, God loves everyone, though he may not agree with what they are doing...And I am 100% positive he doesn't approve of the WBC's methods. In fact I feel as if they give the rest of Christianity a bad name. They remind me more of the inquisition than a church.
"My Sword... Sheathed, But Battle-Ready."-Wolfbaile National Motto
" Democracy has been defined as two wolves and a sheep discussing plans for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that vote" -Unknown
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
-Albert Einstein
"For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and
armed militia is their best security."
- Thomas Jefferson: message to Congress, Nov. 1808

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 01, 2011 9:10 am

Wolfbaile wrote:Do I believe Homosexuality is wrong? Yes. Do I believe that God hates Homosexuals? No. In the Christianity I practice, God loves everyone, though he may not agree with what they are doing...And I am 100% positive he doesn't approve of the WBC's methods. In fact I feel as if they give the rest of Christianity a bad name. They remind me more of the inquisition than a church.

The inquisition was supported by a church >_>

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Sun May 01, 2011 9:11 am

Ceannairceach wrote:Free speech can only go so far; they actively advocate the death of homosexuals, which I consider a threat to my person.

As I understand the way the Constitution is interpreted, that doesn't qualify as a 'incitement to commit crimes'. I can stand out there and say 'all Jews should die', and 'Being a Jew should be a capital crime', and that's protected free speech. What isn't protected free speech is when I start saying that everyone shuld go into the streets with guns and start shooting every Jew they find. THAT is inciting violence and crime, and no longer protected.

As for the limits of free speech, I like the ones granted in the United States....as has been said, free speech and freedom is what the service men of this nation have died for 200 years to grant. Stripping free speech and rights from anyone, even if those people are hate filled bigots, is dishonouring those sacrifices.

Now, do I think that the WBC deserved to die a slow and painful death for what they have done? Yes, I do. However, that doesn't mean I have any right to stop them from saying what they do. If I wanted to make a stand against the WBC, I would join one of the many groups that counter protest, drowning out their hate with motorcycles and blocking their signs from the view of the family. Counter free speech with free speech, not censorship.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 am

Ceannairceach wrote:The inquisition was supported by a church >_>

"Was" ? The inquisition still exists - the current Pope was in charge of it from the 80s till his rise to papacy.
However, it mostly concerns itself with protecting childmolesting priests from prosecution - not so much with killing heathens.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Britannia And France
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia And France » Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 am

the worst thing to happen to america since the U.S invasions of Grenada and Panama
Non-Communist since 19th of April 2011

Osthia
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Osthia » Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 am

They'll get theirs. I hate their guts, they hate me for being Catholic.

The Kangaroo Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kangaroo Republic » Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 am

The Westboro Baptist Church is just terrible. They have no respect for the dead and they hate everything.

And even the KKK hates them.
Sub Astra --- Australes Unum
they/them or he/him pronouns please
Version 3 of the Kangaroo Republic started on 9 March, 2014

>>Go to factbook<<

Other names for the Kangaroo Republic: The Federation, FKR, The Federal Kangaroo Republic
Demonym: Macropodine, Kangan
NS resident kangaroo furry and therian.
Demsoc, Pro BLM, Pro Antifa
Big ol' non-binary duder

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 am

Lubyak wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Free speech can only go so far; they actively advocate the death of homosexuals, which I consider a threat to my person.

As I understand the way the Constitution is interpreted, that doesn't qualify as a 'incitement to commit crimes'. I can stand out there and say 'all Jews should die', and 'Being a Jew should be a capital crime', and that's protected free speech. What isn't protected free speech is when I start saying that everyone shuld go into the streets with guns and start shooting every Jew they find. THAT is inciting violence and crime, and no longer protected.

As for the limits of free speech, I like the ones granted in the United States....as has been said, free speech and freedom is what the service men of this nation have died for 200 years to grant. Stripping free speech and rights from anyone, even if those people are hate filled bigots, is dishonouring those sacrifices.

Now, do I think that the WBC deserved to die a slow and painful death for what they have done? Yes, I do. However, that doesn't mean I have any right to stop them from saying what they do. If I wanted to make a stand against the WBC, I would join one of the many groups that counter protest, drowning out their hate with motorcycles and blocking their signs from the view of the family. Counter free speech with free speech, not censorship.

I don't believe you understood me; I don't advocate limiting free speech, but instead taking it as threats of violence. They quote bible passages and raise signs that hope for the deaths of soldiers, American leadership, and other groups they hate, and though most of what they say are quotes, all of them are violent. Britain blocked them from entering the nation because their protests have a habit of inciting violence or hate. Now, I don't advocate the stifling of hate speech, but when you call for the death of an entire group of people or otherwise subjugation of them, its going far past the already-set limitations of free speech. They are a cult, not a religion, and just as we don't allow certain self-proclaimed religions to kill themselves or sacrifice other humans, we shouldn't allow them to protest where it may incite violence or crime.

@}-;-'---

Peisandros
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Peisandros » Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 am

Lubyak wrote:Counter free speech with free speech, not censorship.

But censorship is so much easier? I've never really understood the American attitude with free speech to be honest. It's nice and all, but I don't think it requires ardent protection.
Last edited by Peisandros on Sun May 01, 2011 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vindication, Is all it takes to change your life.

BoF31 runner up. WC44 Second round. CoH37 co-host and runner up. DBC9 third. DBC10 third. WC47 Second round.

The lepearchauns
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The lepearchauns » Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 am

Id like to share that they actually FLEW TO BUFFALO to protest the funerals of those lost in a plane crash in Clarence NY! SO my friends at the University at Buffalo gathered an angry mob of our own and creted a wall between them and the families...we were kinda hoping it broke into violence...we outnumbered them 3 to 1 :lol:
Lep

Former CoDF/ Vice Chancellor, FRA
Former Delegate, South Pacific
Former being of awesomeness, everywhere

Kogvuron, the answer to how long you owned my signature from the IPO auction is apparently 9 months

The Southern Dictators
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Southern Dictators » Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 am

The Kangaroo Republic wrote:The Westboro Baptist Church is just terrible. They have no respect for the dead and they hate everything...

Peisandros wrote:But censorship is so much easier? I've never really understood the American attitude with free speech to be honest. It's nice and all, but I don't think it requires ardent protection.

These^
PT Factbook Under ConstructionPMT Factbook Under Heavy ConstructionFT Factbook Under Heavy Construction

GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Volnotova wrote:Oh ffs, if there is one thing I can't stand it is this plethora of weeping and depressed people in this thread that will not hesitate to use every opportunity available to exlcaim how something like this made them lose (all) faith in humanity(including themselves).

:palm: x 3

Ravineworld
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravineworld » Sun May 01, 2011 9:23 am

Arkhanta wrote:I'm reformed baptist myself, but God, those people give me the creeps. I believe homosexuality as wrong, but not in the way those people show things.

why do you believe homosexuality is wrong
An explanation of the two party system in the US: Heads they win (republicans, the conservative corporate sellouts), Tails we (the people) lose (to the liberal corporate sell outs)
I am against war created by state. I am an anarcho-mutualist

Proud player of the great game of rugby!

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Sun May 01, 2011 9:26 am

Ceannairceach wrote:I don't believe you understood me; I don't advocate limiting free speech, but instead taking it as threats of violence. They quote bible passages and raise signs that hope for the deaths of soldiers, American leadership, and other groups they hate, and though most of what they say are quotes, all of them are violent. Britain blocked them from entering the nation because their protests have a habit of inciting violence or hate. Now, I don't advocate the stifling of hate speech, but when you call for the death of an entire group of people or otherwise subjugation of them, its going far past the already-set limitations of free speech. They are a cult, not a religion, and just as we don't allow certain self-proclaimed religions to kill themselves or sacrifice other humans, we shouldn't allow them to protest where it may incite violence or crime..

Oh no, no. Only the first paragraph of my response was an actual response to your post. The other two paragraphs were me stating my own beliefs on the issue. Sorry for the confusion.

I still stand by what I said though in that, to my knowledge, they do not call upon anyone to actively go out and kill/commit crimes against gays, or any of the myriad groups of people they hate. They say that God hates them and that their burning in hell, and they think that being gay should be a capital crime, but they're still not actively calling for crimes against gays.

I've realized that the WBC is not stupid...a lot of their members are lawyers, and they know the laws they're dealing with. I swear they're purpousefully wording their acts to make sure they don't fall into any libel, slander, or inciting crime.

Now, I see what you're arguing, but I worry about the slippery slope. If we say that the WBC is not allowed to protest or speak out because they may be inciting violence or crime...when do we stop? I was at the RNC in Minneapolis back in 2008, and even though I was just 16 then, some of the shouts and jees thrown my way, as well as the actions of the protesters were enough to make me fear for my safety. ....should that be banned to because it has the possibility of inciting violence or crime? I think most people would say 'no'...the problem is, what's the objective clear difference between protesters at the RNC, and the WBC? I doubt a clear one can be found.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 01, 2011 9:26 am

Ravineworld wrote:
Arkhanta wrote:I'm reformed baptist myself, but God, those people give me the creeps. I believe homosexuality as wrong, but not in the way those people show things.

why do you believe homosexuality is wrong

Because they follow the not-to-be-a-Moral-Code OT, and read mistranslated bibles, oh, and follow the so-didn't-meet-Jesus Paul. This is mainly Catholics, I believe, but it seems to extend to other groups of Christians as well.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 01, 2011 9:28 am

Peisandros wrote:
Lubyak wrote:Counter free speech with free speech, not censorship.

But censorship is so much easier? I've never really understood the American attitude with free speech to be honest. It's nice and all, but I don't think it requires ardent protection.

Whatever you say WILL hurt someones feelings somewhere - or even enrage them.
So - what free speech is allowed and what is not ?
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Sun May 01, 2011 9:28 am

Peisandros wrote:But censorship is so much easier? I've never really understood the American attitude with free speech to be honest. It's nice and all, but I don't think it requires ardent protection.

But as I said in that post, it is an enshrined American value that you have the right to speak out. I still see the problem as, once you ban one type of speech you set a precedent that banning speech is 'ok' if enough people disagree with it....where does that take us?

The Constitution is one of America's most important documents, it helps define who we are as a nation. It is something that our servicemen and women have fought and died for over 200 years, disrespecting its enshrined freedoms--even if it's 'easier--is a slap in a face to those people.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 01, 2011 9:29 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

the kind that calls for the death of entire groups of people certainly shouldn't, in my opinion.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Sun May 01, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 01, 2011 9:32 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

the kind that calls for the death of entire groups of people certainly shouldn't, in my opinion.

Does it matter how it is phrased ?
Examples:

1. "In my opinion, the world would be a better place if all homosexuals died"
2. "Acceptance of homosexuality is a threat to humanity on par with the destruction of the rainforest"
3. Homosexuals will burn in hell for all eternity
4. Homosexuals are an abomination. A good Christian would not allow Gods vision to be smeared with their continued existence.

Should all of these be forbidden ?

Peisandros
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Peisandros » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

Well exactly - so why is it so important to protect if your going to be enraging people? Seems like a weird argument to protect free speech.

I don't know where the line should be drawn, or if a line is even possible. But I also don't think that the right to free speech should be part of an entrenched constitution. That way the government of the day is able to set reasonable guidelines.

BoF31 runner up. WC44 Second round. CoH37 co-host and runner up. DBC9 third. DBC10 third. WC47 Second round.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 01, 2011 9:34 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:the kind that calls for the death of entire groups of people certainly shouldn't, in my opinion.

Examples:

2. "Acceptance of homosexuality is a threat to humanity on par with the destruction of the rainforest"
4. Homosexuals are an abomination. A good Christian would not allow Gods vision to be smeared with their continued existence.

Number one surely, number three no, as it is a theological statement, so I suppose the WBC isn't exactly making threats with that sentence, numbers two and four are more ambiguous.

@}-;-'---

Peisandros
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Peisandros » Sun May 01, 2011 9:35 am

Lubyak wrote:

But as I said in that post, it is an enshrined American value that you have the right to speak out. I still see the problem as, once you ban one type of speech you set a precedent that banning speech is 'ok' if enough people disagree with it....where does that take us?

The Constitution is one of America's most important documents, it helps define who we are as a nation. It is something that our servicemen and women have fought and died for over 200 years, disrespecting its enshrined freedoms--even if it's 'easier--is a slap in a face to those people.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't mean I have to agree that the right to free speech deserves to be in the constitution.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 01, 2011 9:39 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Examples:

Number one surely, number three no, as it is a theological statement, so I suppose the WBC isn't exactly making threats with that sentence, numbers two and four are more ambiguous.

Funny. Of these, I consider 2 and 4 the ones that are most questionable. 1 after all is preceded by a clear statement that it is an opinion, not a fact.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General