NATION

PASSWORD

What Should Mitch Daniels Do?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:
First, I'd like a source for that claim. Second, I could care less. I have little pity for PP or what they do.

there has been a ban on federal funding for abortion for decades.

Right...and if you read anything I wrote/typed above, you'd know I could care less. I dislike supporting an organization that provides abortion. I don't mind everything else that they do, but either find an organization that doesn't fund abortion at all. Or better yet, let the state provide a voucher to the low income earner that they can use on said tests.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Banold wrote:VETO IT.

I'm with tricky dicky on this one.

It's not the role of the gov't to check women with smears and such.

Also it's not right that tax money is spent on other people's healthcare.

We all use roads etc

but pap smears and contraceptives? Leave rubbers to Trojan! I want the state to gtfo out people's lives.

If women of impoverished means or unfortunate circumstances don't have healthcare that's not the prerogative of Indiana.

Yes it's a human tragedy blah blah blah bleeding hearts

However it's a greater tragedy to throw the hard earned tax dollars of the people on frivolous pursuits.

How about giving that $$$ back in a tax break?

Oh and I think it would be a good thing to reduce federal money flowing into the states like that. Pork barrel ear marks cause too much corruption as it is...

the $4million comes from the federal government. it is funnelled through the state to PP. if they defund planned parenthood they have to forfeit the money.

mr daniels is mr fiscal responsibility. it is fiscally irresponsible to throw away $4million in services to indianan women who will either get the services through a more expensive outlet or go without and increase spending for indiana down the road on health care services for pregnancy or cancer treatments.
whatever

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Ashmoria wrote:there has been a ban on federal funding for abortion for decades.

Right...and if you read anything I wrote/typed above, you'd know I could care less. I dislike supporting an organization that provides abortion. I don't mind everything else that they do, but either find an organization that doesn't fund abortion at all. Or better yet, let the state provide a voucher to the low income earner that they can use on said tests.

You disliking it doesn't matter. Abortions being available to the public outside of the black market is something that is vital to the health of many women. Not to mention their actual major operations which are arguably even more vital.

It'd be like defunding medicare because you dislike vaccines, or road construction cause you dislike traffic lights.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Ashmoria wrote:there has been a ban on federal funding for abortion for decades.

not that i care what YOU would do but it is fiscally irresponsible to get less services for your money. pap smears are expensive at the doctors office.
whatever

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Ashmoria wrote:the $4million comes from the federal government. it is funnelled through the state to PP. if they defund planned parenthood they have to forfeit the money.

mr daniels is mr fiscal responsibility. it is fiscally irresponsible to throw away $4million in services to indianan women who will either get the services through a more expensive outlet or go without and increase spending for indiana down the road on health care services for pregnancy or cancer treatments.

He's not Mr Fiscal Responsibility, if he were he would not only fund PP, he'd be throwing money at abortions. Frankly they are the most fiscally conservative option.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the $4million comes from the federal government. it is funnelled through the state to PP. if they defund planned parenthood they have to forfeit the money.

He's not Mr Fiscal Responsibility, if he were he would not only fund PP, he'd be throwing money at abortions. Frankly they are the most fiscally conservative option.

of course.

but there is no chance that the indiana legislature would go along with the state paying for abortions (and its doubtful that the people of indiana would vote for him if he ran on state funding for abortions).

even if it is the by-far wisest thing that he could do to save the state money.
whatever

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Not certain what Indiana law is but he should just not sign it and allow it to pass (If he ACTUALLY doesn't want to be Mr. Social conservative). Then he can say he was following the will of the people's elected reps. and be all electable and junk.(Edit: This is known as the Political wiggle-worm answer)

Personally, I'd suggest he veto that sucker. Abortion is tricky any way you look at it and we've survived this long without any new/different laws concerning it. Let it continue as it has been until the Supreme Court declares fetuses parasites/people and the fetus-eating/sanctity of life - begins/is upheld.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Daniels should veto the bill just before the end of the session tomorrow night, so that his veto can't be overridden.

However, if he vetoed it and then ran for president, he'd have no chance in the Republican primary.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Mitch Daniels? President? Those three words don't belong in the same sentence. The architect of the Bush economy does not deserve to be President.

Jesse Jackson has a better chance of being elected Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.
Last edited by The Andromeda Islands on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Andromeda Islands Factbook
http://iiwiki.com/wiki/The_Andromeda_Islands

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Ashmoria wrote:of course.

but there is no chance that the indiana legislature would go along with the state paying for abortions (and its doubtful that the people of indiana would vote for him if he ran on state funding for abortions).

even if it is the by-far wisest thing that he could do to save the state money.

Sure. The hypocrisy from all quarters about this bothers me. I wish people would start thinking things through.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:42 pm

The Andromeda Islands wrote:Mitch Daniels? President? Those three words don't belong in the same sentence. The architect of the Bush economy does not deserve to be President.

Jesse Jackson has a better chance of being elected Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

Hey, don't sell Jesse Jackson short, I'm sure the KKK is looking for a PR boost. I mean, the GOP elected Michael Steele, :p

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:05 pm

The Andromeda Islands wrote:Mitch Daniels? President? Those three words don't belong in the same sentence. The architect of the Bush economy does not deserve to be President.

someone has to be the nominee.

it cant be donald trump or michele bachmann.

so why not daniels? he has no more disqualifications than mitt romney has.
whatever

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Ashmoria wrote:someone has to be the nominee.

it cant be donald trump or michele bachmann.

so why not daniels? he has no more disqualifications than mitt romney has.

Plus he has two major qualifications.
1- Not Donald Trump
2- Not Donald Trump's hair-piece
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:I was under the impression (could be wrong, because it was with a different nation and a long time ago that I talked with CM about it), but I thought he once was a conservative, as he is 16 now (I think) and therefore younger when he created the nation, he most likely misspelled conservative rather than attempt it as a joke. He was after all a staunch evangelical, I think, and most likely fairly conservative.

Shh! It's ironic, I swear! Listen not to the blasphemer!
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General